Sign in to follow this  
SlyOwl

Cannon Power

Whilst working on my It's a Pirate's life entry, I found that it was very difficult to get the standard cannons to trigger anything (exploding wall e.t.c). So I wanted to increase their power.

First step: take the cannon apart. I did this by pressing the circled indent with a blunt nail and lodging my fingernail in the gap that appeared between the components. Keeping my nail in the gap, I did the same on the other side. All the insides fell out *sweet*

cannon.jpg

So then we have the 4 parts, from left to right:

-The barrel

-The two-pronged shuttle

-The spring

-The end cap

Now to increase the power. As the cannon works by compressing the spring when you pull the pin and releasing the energy to strike the cannonball with the prongs, the way to increase the power would be to increase the potential energy storage of the spring.

My attempts:

1. I inserted two springs into one cannon. This actually decreased the power of the cannon as there was a lower storage capacity as some was already used up as they had to be compressed to fit them. Furthermore, as the ends of the spring were uncompressable, the ratio of uncompressable spring to potential storage increased.

2. I looked for another spring. I couldn't find a suitable replacement, as most springs were too narrow (especially biro ones) or too wide. The dimensions of the spring are 22mm long, with a diameter of 6mm and a 2mm gap between each coil.

Does anyone know where you can buy/find such a spring? I tried my local craft store, but they didn't have any springs... *sad*

Are there any other ways to increase the power? - A piece of bendy metal? A compressable material e.g. foam?

Has anyone else tried this?

Good idea!

If you're really serious, you could try these people - link. That way you can get exactly the right length and diameter.

Maybe it is a bit complex X-D but I hope I helped to some degree

-Benk

Hmmm, if you insist blowing up things, why not just use these:

dec05.jpg

X-D

Not so sure if a stronger version of the shooting cannon will blow away a brick wall, but one can always try!

Good luck. ;-)

If you're really serious, you could try these people - link.

Maybe it is a bit complex X-D

Industrial, eh? I think I'll wait a while to see if I can find one somewhere else; I'm not that serious! :-P Thanks anyway *y*

Hmmm, if you insist blowing up things, why not just use these: snip

Not so sure if a stronger version of the shooting cannon will blow away a brick wall, but one can always try!

Unlike you, I like my bricks not to be blown up! ;-) As for the brick wall, I meant one with tiles beneath a section and on top, so it would slide out. Normal cannons can't destroy this, although Technic blasters can. Therefore, I'd like to get the power up to that of a Technic blaster. Without using explosives. :-D

If you've a cheap bb-gun lying around you don't use anymore I suggest demolishing it. The spring in there is definitely more powerful but probably too large for your cannon. That's the only thing I can really come up with. Have you also used springs from pens and such? Those are probably too weak but I'd give it a shot. :pirate_sad:

Edited by Hairy Ruben

I think your problem does not lie in the cannon's power but more in the lightweight of the ammunition.

Try shooting with something heavier, you might have to remove the pin in the center of the barrel, then you can load it with lead or any other kind of metal.

Just my two cents....

Interesting to see the inside of the cannon's system for a change, I have had cannons for almost all of my life, but never tried to open one up.

This is quite interesting because I haven't see a cannon pulled apart before. It's obviously not one of the post 1992 US cannons X-D

I agree with simonwillems, might I also suggest making the hole a little wider that the two pronged pin goes through to create less friction also maybe a bit of oil? Try asking your local hardware store for spring mine had some that might work when I looked in earlier.

Whilst working on my It's a Pirate's life entry, I found that it was very difficult to get the standard cannons to trigger anything (exploding wall e.t.c). So I wanted to increase their power.

I can see how this would be useful if you're making a video, but as a still image - exactly what is the point of this ?

SlyOwl since a Technic cannon can knock down a wall, why not try replacing the cannon spring with one of those springs, and as simonwillems said use abit heavier ammuntion. Even if you just stack a few cannon balls on top of one another. If you can shape a small piece of rubber to the right dimmensions that may also work. Either that or go old-fashoined and use gun powder *skull* :-P

Good luck I, hope you can find a way to make a stronger cannon.

Well, I've just tried heavier ammo, using a knut so I didn't have to damage the centre prong. Guess what? The range decreased, as did the power 8-|

As for the Technic blaster spring, firstly it is nearly bigger than the cannnon and therefore useless, and secondly I have no idea how to get hold of it :-/

Besides ground up black pouder, I don't think you're gonna get anything more powerful X-D !

If you could lengthen the fire pin somehow, to put in a longer, or 2 springs you would get more energy and storage and therefor more power. But it would mean cutting, glue and such..perhaps removing the dual pins at the top, dirlling a hole in the pin and putting in a nailpin might work.... I might try this some time...it's interesting!

What about the pin that sticks in the middle of the cannon? Where did that go?

SlyOwl, would it be that bad to just exchange the cannon for a technic blaster, or would that throw off your entire design, since you said a Technic blaster can knock down the wall you could use a Technic blaster as a last resort. Not to mention it would make your entry look more official since Lego would likely scatter a bunch of shooting devices throughout "Pirate" sets :pir-hmpf:.

Edited by MacK

When I was a young person and had one of the first non-shooting cannons, I did an experiment in the sand box. I stuck a firecracker in the cannon and stuck the fuse out through the hole in the Lego cannon ball. I lit it and BOOOOM!!!, right into a wall of sand. That was really cool and from what I can remember it didn’t damage the cannon, but it may have left some black residue though. Today however, I wouldn’t do anything like this or even modify my prized cannons.

If you could lengthen the fire pin somehow, to put in a longer, or 2 springs you would get more energy and storage and therefor more power. But it would mean cutting, glue and such..perhaps removing the dual pins at the top, dirlling a hole in the pin and putting in a nailpin might work.... I might try this some time...it's interesting!

Firstly, two springs reduces the range as the useful to useless coils ratio decreases, giving a lower energy storage capacity. As for lengthening the firing pin, it would work theoretically, but not in practice as it would require lengthening the end cap, as the firing pin slides between this and the H piece described below :pir-look:

What about the pin that sticks in the middle of the cannon? Where did that go?

This is attached to an H shaped part that is at the end of the barrel; the two firing prongs slide through the slots and the central prong comes out the middle of the H.

SlyOwl, would it be that bad to just exchange the cannon for a technic blaster, or would that throw off your entire design,

I wanted a classic look, not 4+ :pir-wink:

When I was a young person and had one of the first non-shooting cannons, I did an experiment in the sand box. I stuck a firecracker in the cannon and stuck the fuse out through the hole in the Lego cannon ball. I lit it and BOOOOM!!!, right into a wall of sand. That was really cool and from what I can remember it didn
Edited by SlyOwl

If you really wanted to, you could try compressed air...Not only is it difficult, but probably also very hard to hide, if you're making a movie.

But if you need a spring... :pir-wink:

desk-spring-top.jpg

mando_helmet_viking_2.png

This is attached to an H shaped part that is at the end of the barrel; the two firing prongs slide through the slots and the central prong comes out the middle of the H.

Is it possible to take a picture of it? I'm interested in it :pir-sweet:

Or is it not pictured because of a restriction?

Do the non-firing cannons have a central spoke? And did you hit Phred? :pir-grin:

The non-firing cannons are hollow and have no spoke.

Of course I hit my brother, pause, not! It did leave a crater in the sand though.

I have a possible theory...... but both involve stretchin' springs...

If you had the Technic Cannon you could stretch it until it's small enough for the cannon... Or stretch the Cannons spring, and when it's packed very tight in there it may fire, or burtst out the back end....

You wanna Increase Cannon Power? Have you actually used that Spring cannon before?

I guess it doesnt do much damage... Mabye you should try using Diffrent ammo. Instead of using a Hollow

3062b.1104803717.jpg

Why dont you use 4073.png But stack them on top of each other, I just tryed it and It was a Bit more Powerful. :pir-tongue:

Joey :jollyroger:

Is it possible to take a picture of it? I'm interested in it :pir-sweet:

Or is it not pictured because of a restriction?

Just look down the barrel of the cannon, pull back the pin and yuo should see that inside the two prongs that fire it and the central spoke. The H shaped part is the rest you can see. I'll see if I can photomograph it soonish :pir-classic:

I have a possible theory...... but both involve stretchin' springs...

If you had the Technic Cannon you could stretch it until it's small enough for the cannon... Or stretch the Cannons spring, and when it's packed very tight in there it may fire, or burtst out the back end....

I don't really want to damage any springs. I was under the impression that although stretching springs made them thinner, it also increased the width between the coils and so you get a really long, thin, weak spring :pir-sceptic:

Why dont you use 4073.png But stack them on top of each other, I just tryed it and It was a Bit more Powerful. :pir-tongue:

How did you fit that in? Did you remove the central spoke? As I said earlier, I found that increasing the projectile weight decreased range and power, although there may be an optimum weight for this...