Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

33 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

... Atlanteans, The Sakaaran, Green Goblin, which I've used for custom figs and the recent Viking and the Tournament Knight are great figs...

Yep, these, especially the atlanteans, have been my basis for a recent army build too

Regrettably, I missed the chance to get some sets of Lord of the Rings theme from early 2010s.... I sure hope they’re coming back in a near future! 

With medium legs, it would be great for Fredo, Sam, etc! So many new pieces/molds would be great for the reboot. 

Randomly, I hope ther would be Lord of the Rings CMF Series but it’s highly unlikely. 

6 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Regrettably, I missed the chance to get some sets of Lord of the Rings theme from early 2010s.... I sure hope they’re coming back in a near future! 

With medium legs, it would be great for Fredo, Sam, etc! So many new pieces/molds would be great for the reboot. 

Randomly, I hope ther would be Lord of the Rings CMF Series but it’s highly unlikely. 

I got them all, and to be honest they're pretty good but when you see them next to the latest Harry Potter sets they have dated a bit. Perhaps if the Bag End Ideas set gets produced and sells well, and the Amazon show is popular, then we may have a chance of seeing more Lego LOTR. 

I haven't tried yet, but I would have thought medium legs for Gimli and other dwarves, and keep the Hobbit in short legs would look best, thought with printed/duel molded feet. 

I'd love a CMF! Like I said above, the sets are now slightly outdated, and so are some minifigures. Gandalf with a proper hat/beard piece and staffs and robe pieces for him and Saruman are two big ones I'd love, as well as variants/updates to other characters. 

3 hours ago, Seaber said:

and the Amazon show is popular

The Amazon Prime series is rumored to have nudity in it, pretty much like Game of Thrones. So with that in mind, I don't think LEGO will be interested in making any sets based off it. At this point, LEGO Ideas is probably our biggest chance to get more LotR/The Hobbit sets. 

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

The Amazon Prime series is rumored to have nudity in it, pretty much like Game of Thrones. So with that in mind, I don't think LEGO will be interested in making any sets based off it. At this point, LEGO Ideas is probably our biggest chance to get more LotR/The Hobbit sets. 

The rumours seem to come from people not understanding what an intimacy coordinators role is, and the casting call that says must be comfortable with nudity - there was nudity in AUJ. The Game of Thrones comparison comes from Jeff Bezos wanting to make a show a huge as GoT rather than smaller, less well seen and talked about shows like now (Vikings, High Castle, etc) 

That's not so say it won't end up being like Game of Thrones, but there is currently no evidence to say it will be. 

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

That's not so say it won't end up being like Game of Thrones, but there is currently no evidence to say it will be. 

I imagine Amazon will say it is as big as Game of Thrones. Continually. Especially to Prime users.

7 hours ago, Seaber said:

I haven't tried yet, but I would have thought medium legs for Gimli and other dwarves, and keep the Hobbit in short legs would look best, thought with printed/duel molded feet. 

The dwarves are a bit too tall on medium legs when compared to humans, although look OK next to hobbits. Maybe it is because the humans are all relatively tall in the movie, and the minifigure form is too short for them. Especially Gandalf.

12 hours ago, MAB said:

The dwarves are a bit too tall on medium legs when compared to humans, although look OK next to hobbits. Maybe it is because the humans are all relatively tall in the movie, and the minifigure form is too short for them. Especially Gandalf.

Yup you get a point with legs for dwarven figures. 

i hope lego makes lord of the rings sets agian, but not if the amazon show is inappropraite or gross. I think maybe something focused in the elves and battles in the orginial movies would work well, the cool armor would probably get people to buy it who do not like the lord of the rings

Edited by valon

11 hours ago, valon said:

i hope lego makes lord of the rings sets agian, but not if the amazon show is inappropraite or gross.

Even if the show is inappropriate or gross, LEGO could still do LEGO-ized versions if they wanted to. The original movies are not exactly appropriate for kids, yet they still went with them.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Even if the show is inappropriate or gross, LEGO could still do LEGO-ized versions if they wanted to. The original movies are not exactly appropriate for kids, yet they still went with them.

i read the lord of the rings and watched the movies in fourth grade, i did not find theme inappropraite , i ment inappropraite as in not clothes and bad words, if the show is like that, i will not watch. i still think that a battle theme, focused on elves would do well. Maybe mythica will be a lord of the rings type theme, if it is a theme ( i hope it is a castle pirates theme with fantasy/lord of the ring elements )

1 hour ago, valon said:

i read the lord of the rings and watched the movies in fourth grade, i did not find theme inappropraite , i ment inappropraite as in not clothes and bad words, if the show is like that, i will not watch. i still think that a battle theme, focused on elves would do well. Maybe mythica will be a lord of the rings type theme, if it is a theme ( i hope it is a castle pirates theme with fantasy/lord of the ring elements )

LEGO is in control as to what they put into sets. If they want to do LEGO LOTR again and there is nudity in the show, then they can choose not to show nudity in their sets. They can choose to mark their sets as 18+ if they want to. Not everyone is deeply offended by a boob or backside, and these scenes need not be shown in LEGO form.

Edited by MAB

Just now, MAB said:

LEGO is in control as to what they put into sets. If they want to do LEGO LOTR again and there is nudity in the show, then they can choose not to show nudity in their sets. They can choose to mark their sets as 18+ if they want to. Not everyone is deeply offended by a boob or backside, and these scenes need not be shown in LEGO form.

i hope the show does not have these but if lego makes lord of the rings set that is good, i just do not want to watch a inappropraite and gross show

10 minutes ago, valon said:

i hope the show does not have these but if lego makes lord of the rings set that is good, i just do not want to watch a inappropraite and gross show

That's up to you, depending on what you find inappropriate or gross. The birth / creation of Lurtz was a pretty gross scene in LOTR, but LEGO even made that into a set.

Just now, MAB said:

That's up to you, depending on what you find inappropriate or gross. The birth / creation of Lurtz was a pretty gross scene in LOTR, but LEGO even made that into a set.

ok, to me gross and inappropriate is not clothes or very bloody things, although i find bloody things less gross lego lord of the rings is cool, even if it is of a bad series ( i liked the hobbit sets even though the movies were not thought to be good ) i hope that if lego has a lord of the rings theme that it has lotherlion and gonder. gondor soldiers will be really cool so will lothlerian elves

Although there is still not much known about the Amazon series I am reassured by the reports that the Tolkien estate is heavily involved. I think it is unlikely the series will be too inappropriate for LEGO, even if it is a bit more "mature" than the hobbit and LOTR films. 

The thing that makes me hopeful we'll get sets is the existing relationship between Amazon and LEGO. It's possible we could even see an entire theme that was Amazon exclusive. That wouldn't be ideal but I'd take it if that's how we get more Middle Earth sets. If we don't get anything out the gate we'll have to hope the series is successful enough to at least get a D2C later like stranger things.

15 hours ago, Vorkosigan said:

The thing that makes me hopeful we'll get sets is the existing relationship between Amazon and LEGO. It's possible we could even see an entire theme that was Amazon exclusive. 

What relationship? Do you mean because Amazon sells LEGO products? 

10 hours ago, MAB said:

What relationship? Do you mean because Amazon sells LEGO products? 

Yes, but not just that they sell LEGO but are very likely in the top 3 biggest LEGO sellers. They are also one of a handful of retailers with a history of having exclusive sets.

How many other retailers also make their own shows and movies?

Edited by Vorkosigan

4 hours ago, Vorkosigan said:

Yes, but not just that they sell LEGO but are very likely in the top 3 biggest LEGO sellers. They are also one of a handful of retailers with a history of having exclusive sets.

How many other retailers also make their own shows and movies?

Probably more important is how many other movie companies already have an ongoing relationship with LEGO and want their media franchises on the shelves.  

I don't recall any amazon only exclusives, especially worldwide exclusivity.

15 hours ago, MAB said:

Probably more important is how many other movie companies already have an ongoing relationship with LEGO and want their media franchises on the shelves.  

I don't recall any amazon only exclusives, especially worldwide exclusivity.

Not sure about worldwide, but The Razor Crest is a notable Amazon exclusive in the US. 

I don't know if Amazon being a major LEGO retailer will influence the odds of sets being made for the show, but it can't hurt.

I have been wiating for Scooby Doo and Lord of the Rings/the Hobbit to make their comebacks… oh well.

On 8/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, MatthewRC said:

Did anyone hear of this upcoming animated Lord of the Rings movie? It’s gonna be a Japanese anime film, which is apparently a first-time thing for the Middle-earth franchise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_War_of_the_Rohirrim

I have really bad experience with this kind of merging... but in any case it's basically impossible some project like this would spark Lego sets again.

Anyway: As Lego has been a bit more creative with their recent sets and goes more in direction of "adult" builds, I had some ideas:

the "book"-builds" from the Harry Potter line for 30 bucks would be perfect to use for Lord of the Rings. I could imagine several iterations for the 3 books + the hobbit. For example a fellowship book with some kind of foldout version of rivendell or Minas Tirith could work.

I can't imagine the theme return in any Form except maybe as a cmf. There are lots of people who love Lotr, but a large part of them owns the old Lego stuff already, which makes a remake of these sets less desireable for them. Lego can't just do the missing stuff because new customers would want for example the fellowship and so on, too.

On top of that there is pretty much everything missing already available by now from other companies on a level of quality Lego would/could not reach. The only missing things I haven't found gorgeous custom options for yet are Faramir (there are plenty customs but not a single good one as far as I can tell) Thrain, Thror and Orcrist.

4 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

I can't imagine the theme return in any Form except maybe as a cmf. There are lots of people who love Lotr, but a large part of them owns the old Lego stuff already, which makes a remake of these sets less desireable for them. Lego can't just do the missing stuff because new customers would want for example the fellowship and so on, too.

On top of that there is pretty much everything missing already available by now from other companies on a level of quality Lego would/could not reach. The only missing things I haven't found gorgeous custom options for yet are Faramir (there are plenty customs but not a single good one as far as I can tell) Thrain, Thror and Orcrist.

It is getting on for 10 years now though, so a reboot would probably work. Just like they did with Harry Potter - start afresh ignoring what was done in the past. I have sold quite a bit of my LOTR stock recently since the prices have really shot up. There is definitely demand for what was done before so rehashes of Bag End or Weathertop and so on will probably still sell well. I cannot really see a CMF series filling in gaps in minifigures. If they did one for LOTR, then 9 slots would go to the fellowship and probably one to Saruman and another to Elrond - so that is 11 out of 12 (or better still 16 or 22) so not much room left to explore other characters.

I would love to see some reboot LotR sets some days! I mean, I never got a chance to buy a few of them in 2010s…

and I can’t afford to buy some sets in the secondary market. I have seen some prices that high. I got Scooby-Doo’s Mystery Machine set a few years ago but the price was not great, imo. 

Reboot LotR and Scooby-Doo themes, please!