Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

19 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Of note, Stranger Things and Ghostbusters also had/have their own pages, both of which just had a couple of sets and Brickheadz (especially Stranger Things, with only one set, Brickheadz, and a couple of accessories (keychains, etc.). 

Good to know!

First Post, I am very excited about the return of LOTR, would love new sets vs. brickheadz to start.  (I bought all of the original sets back in the day).  I am hoping the D2C is minifig scale but will be fine with micro scale so long as it is being treated like the return of Harry Potter sets back in the day as a precursor to regular sets.  Ideally we would have an evergreen theme, however, I would at least be happy with a year dedicated to each movie of play sets.  (I also like the CMF idea).  I will be buying all of the upcoming sets day one to show that there is demand for LOTR despite them not being the ideal launch products.

I have seen a few videos and posts (in other places) hoping for remakes of many of the sets that we already had.  While I am not opposed to any of these being remade I would prefer new locations that were not explored.  In keeping with the Harry Potter relaunch, I would love one movie each year for (at least) three years that would look like the following.   - Year 1 (Fellowship) Icon Rivendell, ($120) Moria Gates/Watcher with Fellowship minifigs (minus Boromir), (100) Prancing Pony with Sam Frodo, Keeper, Aragorn, Wraiths, (80) Fords of Bruinen with Frodo/Arwen/3 wraiths, (50-60) Balrog/Gandalf, (30-40) Lorien Throne Room with Galadriel, Celeborn, Elf Guard, (25) Battle Pack - Moria Orcs and a cave troll, (10-15) Amon Hen Ambush w/ Boromir/Uruk.      ----  Year 2 (Two Towers). UCS Barad Sure (scaled to Orthanc. w/ Sauron and other minifigs)  -  (120-150) Edoras w/ Theoden/ 2 Rohan Guards/ Eoyen / Gandalf the white/ Wormtonge/ Legolas/ Gimli. (100) Mumakil with Golum/ Sam/ 2 Gondor ranger/ Mumakil driver and Soldiers (80) Osgiliath with Frodo/ Wraith / Faramir/ Gondor Soldier/ Buildable FellBeast.  (50) Warg Ambush with two wargs and riders two Rohan Riders Legolars/Gimli (30-40) Ent - Buildable Ent with Uruk and Orc (not Tree Beard).  (25) Battle Pack Uruks.  (10-15) Rohan Stables with Rohan Rider/Horse.  ---------  Year 3 (Return of the King) UCS Mini Scale Minis Tirith w/King Aragorn/Queen Arwen/ 2 tower guards etc.  (120-150) White Tree/Throne Room with Denethor, Four tower guards, Gondor. soldiers, pippen (Gondor), Gandalf the white.  (100) Grond / Gates with troll, Gondor soldiers, Mordor orcs. (80) Minis Tirith Battle - Buildings with catapult with appropriate mini figs.  (50) Mordor Tower - Uruk, Orcs, Sam/Frodo (Mordor version).  30-40) Witch King - Eoyen Merry Witch King,  (25) Battle Pack Mordor Orcs with Siege tower.  (10-15) Signal Fire - Two Gondor soldiers with tower (maybe pippen with Gondor outfit).  

Obviously tons of options, I just like something like this where it covers all of the films well, we would get army building options but still have iconic scenes and some large sets.  Thanks all and looking forward to reading others posts.

12 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Yeah Queer Eye is 40% off at shop at home right now. If the Hogwarts Express was discounted too I’d get it but I think it’s selling better than those other two, although not phenomenally well either

I still don't understand how that got made. At least the others had giant IPs to piggyback off even if the sets themselves were lackluster.

As for the Express, I get why it's selling well. The station being such a large part of the build is controversial, but not as universally unappealing as the hulkbuster's horrible proportions or the BP Bust's... existence? That feels mean but really it would have been better as a helmet set, the wakanda forever salute isn't worth the extra $280.

7 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I tried running the parts under warm water a bit, which did help some, but I'm not sure if it will stay better or not... 

If water did the trick (which it might have, might be like a lubricant) it might stay until it evaporates. If it was the temp, it'll change once the figure returns to storage temp.

I would hypothetically suggest some sort of grease for a more permanent solution, but I also wouldn't recommend putting grease on your lego minifigures.

Hulkbuster and BP are just bad sets. Hogwarts Express is just too expensive. 

Hulkbuster sales will probably never take off as there’s a better much cheaper alternative 

1 hour ago, Ravenclaw62442 said:

Hulkbuster and BP are just bad sets. Hogwarts Express is just too expensive. 

Hulkbuster sales will probably never take off as there’s a better much cheaper alternative 

I think you nailed it here, the Hogwarts Express isn’t a bad set by any means but it’s very expensive for what it is and that’s the problem I have with it. I agree that the Hulkbuster and BP bust are just bad sets. I really hope follow that trend for this theme, although I think it would be hard to ruin a LOTR set for me, I will literally buy anything they put out for this theme

Lord of the Rings™ Gifts and Toys

Build and recreate iconic moments from Middle-earth with LEGO® Lord of the Rings™ sets. Whether you’re a new fan, a super-fan, or somewhere in between, join the epic battle of good vs. evil. The fantasy world of Lord of the Rings™ is filled with legendary books, movies and the new The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power TV show. These Lord of the Rings gifts and toys, for kids aged 10+ and adults, are inspired by the mythical locations and iconic characters of Frodo™, Gandalf the Grey™ and Aragon™. Discover your next precious LEGO® BrickHeadz™ Lord of the Rings™ character figures, Arkenstone-level of awesome gifts and more.

Copied and pasted from the official LOTR product page on shop at home. Again, might not mean anything beyond what we already know about. But man is it good to see an official LOTR page there again

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

8 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

...Build and recreate iconic moments from Middle-earth...

...The fantasy world of Lord of the Rings™ is filled with legendary books, movies and the new The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power TV show. These Lord of the Rings gifts and toys, for kids aged 10+ and adults, are inspired by the mythical locations and ...

These excerpts are really promising to me. I feel like 'iconic moments', and 'mythical locations' at least suggests something beyond just brickheads, and with the use of plural more than one something. And the mention of rings of power implies some exploration of the new IP and characters, which while not everyone's cup of tea, would basically necessitate a full line of play sets. Though I agree with Lord helmet, that sort of release of trilogy focussed sets would be my dream as well.

This point of discussion reminds me of all the sets I had in mind when I first heard that Lego and Lotr had joined, two of the most amazing brands/universes I knew. Oh what greatness to expect from such a glorious combination of medium and content. A whole Universe was to be expected.

101 missed oportunities later I was thankful for some nice figs, a warg which looked weird with a saddle and a giant eagle that could not be mounted.

1 hour ago, Wardancer said:

This point of discussion reminds me of all the sets I had in mind when I first heard that Lego and Lotr had joined, two of the most amazing brands/universes I knew. Oh what greatness to expect from such a glorious combination of medium and content. A whole Universe was to be expected.

101 missed oportunities later I was thankful for some nice figs, a warg which looked weird with a saddle and a giant eagle that could not be mounted.

This is so true.  I guess you could mount the Eagle with a baby or maybe a minifig with midilegs.  The witch king is still one of my favorite figs.  Theodins armor is fantastic.  The orcs were nicely done and great for customizing other figs like goblins and such.  

1 hour ago, zoth33 said:

This is so true.  I guess you could mount the Eagle with a baby or maybe a minifig with midilegs.  The witch king is still one of my favorite figs.  Theodins armor is fantastic.  The orcs were nicely done and great for customizing other figs like goblins and such.  

I dont think they made a witch king fig? 

2 minutes ago, Shroffy123 said:

I dont think they made a witch king fig? 

The white one not the one from Return of the King the one from the Hobbit in his ethereal form.  He had the crown and a white tattered cape.  

Edited by zoth33

On 12/27/2022 at 3:11 AM, Lordhelmet said:

First Post, I am very excited about the return of LOTR, would love new sets vs. brickheadz to start.  (I bought all of the original sets back in the day).  I am hoping the D2C is minifig scale but will be fine with micro scale so long as it is being treated like the return of Harry Potter sets back in the day as a precursor to regular sets.  Ideally we would have an evergreen theme, however, I would at least be happy with a year dedicated to each movie of play sets.  (I also like the CMF idea).  I will be buying all of the upcoming sets day one to show that there is demand for LOTR despite them not being the ideal launch products.

I have seen a few videos and posts (in other places) hoping for remakes of many of the sets that we already had.  While I am not opposed to any of these being remade I would prefer new locations that were not explored.  In keeping with the Harry Potter relaunch, I would love one movie each year for (at least) three years that would look like the following.   - Year 1 (Fellowship) Icon Rivendell, ($120) Moria Gates/Watcher with Fellowship minifigs (minus Boromir), (100) Prancing Pony with Sam Frodo, Keeper, Aragorn, Wraiths, (80) Fords of Bruinen with Frodo/Arwen/3 wraiths, (50-60) Balrog/Gandalf, (30-40) Lorien Throne Room with Galadriel, Celeborn, Elf Guard, (25) Battle Pack - Moria Orcs and a cave troll, (10-15) Amon Hen Ambush w/ Boromir/Uruk.      ----  Year 2 (Two Towers). UCS Barad Sure (scaled to Orthanc. w/ Sauron and other minifigs)  -  (120-150) Edoras w/ Theoden/ 2 Rohan Guards/ Eoyen / Gandalf the white/ Wormtonge/ Legolas/ Gimli. (100) Mumakil with Golum/ Sam/ 2 Gondor ranger/ Mumakil driver and Soldiers (80) Osgiliath with Frodo/ Wraith / Faramir/ Gondor Soldier/ Buildable FellBeast.  (50) Warg Ambush with two wargs and riders two Rohan Riders Legolars/Gimli (30-40) Ent - Buildable Ent with Uruk and Orc (not Tree Beard).  (25) Battle Pack Uruks.  (10-15) Rohan Stables with Rohan Rider/Horse.  ---------  Year 3 (Return of the King) UCS Mini Scale Minis Tirith w/King Aragorn/Queen Arwen/ 2 tower guards etc.  (120-150) White Tree/Throne Room with Denethor, Four tower guards, Gondor. soldiers, pippen (Gondor), Gandalf the white.  (100) Grond / Gates with troll, Gondor soldiers, Mordor orcs. (80) Minis Tirith Battle - Buildings with catapult with appropriate mini figs.  (50) Mordor Tower - Uruk, Orcs, Sam/Frodo (Mordor version).  30-40) Witch King - Eoyen Merry Witch King,  (25) Battle Pack Mordor Orcs with Siege tower.  (10-15) Signal Fire - Two Gondor soldiers with tower (maybe pippen with Gondor outfit).  

Obviously tons of options, I just like something like this where it covers all of the films well, we would get army building options but still have iconic scenes and some large sets.  Thanks all and looking forward to reading others posts.

That would be amazing, but don't get your hopes up... Although I hope to to be wrong, I am afraid we will most likely only get Rivendell and nothing else :-(

Hopefully the stick to the original trilogy of films.

I think sets based on the Amazon show would be about as popular as the Hobbit ones. Or perhaps even less so as they wouldn’t integrate as seamlessly with the OT stuff.

2 hours ago, Altair1 said:

That would be amazing, but don't get your hopes up... Although I hope to to be wrong, I am afraid we will most likely only get Rivendell and nothing else :-(

We are getting leaked set numbers for just about every theme in the summer wave but LOTR so its not looking too good at the moment. :sad:

1 hour ago, Ravenclaw62442 said:

Hopefully the stick to the original trilogy of films.

I think sets based on the Amazon show would be about as popular as the Hobbit ones. Or perhaps even less so as they wouldn’t integrate as seamlessly with the OT stuff.

I am concerned about that too.  I am fine if they do Amazon show ones (as it might be a reason to bring back the theme with play sets) but I would hope that they are a much smaller amount like the Fantastic beasts sets vs. Harry Potter sets so they do not compete against LOTR trilogy sets for sales.  I am more confident they will bring back more sets after seeing the banner in the LOTR page in Lego.com, but with the Rings of Power language included I would think we will see ones from the show.  

It would be nice for some more set numbers to leak (given all the other ones leaking now for a summer wave).  I am hoping for at least a fall release like Avatar got this year (would love to see some more leaks that there will at least be sets, not sure how it benefits lego to hold off on leaking some more information that there will be future sets for LOTR even if we don't get all the details).

On 12/27/2022 at 7:20 AM, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Lord of the Rings™ Gifts and Toys

Build and recreate iconic moments from Middle-earth with LEGO® Lord of the Rings™ sets. Whether you’re a new fan, a super-fan, or somewhere in between, join the epic battle of good vs. evil. The fantasy world of Lord of the Rings™ is filled with legendary books, movies and the new The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power TV show. These Lord of the Rings gifts and toys, for kids aged 10+ and adults, are inspired by the mythical locations and iconic characters of Frodo™, Gandalf the Grey™ and Aragon™. Discover your next precious LEGO® BrickHeadz™ Lord of the Rings™ character figures, Arkenstone-level of awesome gifts and more.

This is incredibly promising to me. Regardless of how folks feel about the Rings of Power (I personally think it’s magnificent), the fact that the new tv show is mentioned by name in LEGO’s marketing is a really good sign.

The Rings of Power has already been bankrolled for FIVE seasons, which means we could potentially be looking at LEGO Lord of the Rings sets for the next five years. I imagine a strategy similar to the Wizarding World relaunch, where the bulk of the sets focus on the original content (Harry Potter, LoTR), with one or two sets from the new content (Fantastic Beasts, Rings of Power) sprinkled in, may already be in the works.

Say what you will about the new show, but I would not be unhappy to get a LEGO set with Galadriel on horseback as Commander of the Northern Armies slaughtering orcs in the shadow of Mordor. Or imagine a set based on the Rings of Powers’ depiction of the War of Wrath in episode 1! And if it’s just one or two sets among a wave of Fellowship of the Ring sets like @Lordhelmet just described, count me in.

31 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

This is incredibly promising to me. Regardless of how folks feel about the Rings of Power (I personally think it’s magnificent), the fact that the new tv show is mentioned by name in LEGO’s marketing is a really good sign.

The Rings of Power has already been bankrolled for FIVE seasons, which means we could potentially be looking at LEGO Lord of the Rings sets for the next five years. I imagine a strategy similar to the Wizarding World relaunch, where the bulk of the sets focus on the original content (Harry Potter, LoTR), with one or two sets from the new content (Fantastic Beasts, Rings of Power) sprinkled in, may already be in the works.

Say what you will about the new show, but I would not be unhappy to get a LEGO set with Galadriel on horseback as Commander of the Northern Armies slaughtering orcs in the shadow of Mordor. Or imagine a set based on the Rings of Powers’ depiction of the War of Wrath in episode 1! And if it’s just one or two sets among a wave of Fellowship of the Ring sets like @Lordhelmet just described, count me in.

I was personally quite disappointed with Rings of Power, and I hope they will not be making sets based on that show. As someone stated earlier they would probably sell as badly as the Hobbit ones, and this would be the end for good of any LOTR sets...

Edited by Altair1

2 hours ago, Altair1 said:

I was personally quite disappointed with Rings of Power, and I hope they will not be making sets based on that show. As someone stated earlier they would probably sell as badly as the Hobbit ones, and this would be the end for good of any LOTR sets...

I think the hobbit sets had problems with just being bellow par in visual design as much as anything (unexpected gathering being the glowing exception, with a couple others that were OK). Rings of power could have similar struggles, but there could be a few gems in there, with Celebrimbor's forge being the best example I can think of from season 1, but I am sure there will be more to come from season 2 onward. Again, I think we all agree that LotR trilogy content is the key to making this IP thrive for Lego, but I would be more than happy with the HP/Fantastic Beasts parallel others have drawn.

... now that I think of it, I don't think any of us have brought up the real possibility that the D2C Rivendell includes some connection to the Rings of Power Season 2, which will almost certainly take us to that location (do I recall some mention of sending Elrond to 'Imladris' late in season 1?). Would be interesting if we got Rivendell with LotR figures AND RoP figures...

4 hours ago, Altair1 said:

I'm not so sure about that. The trilogy has only got three movies, and it would absolutely not be sustainable to do an Evergreen theme based around just that--hell, even with the Hobbit trilogy and Rings of Power it might not be enough. Just take a look at our modern major evergreen film themes--Star Wars has 11 films and several shows with new stuff coming out all the time, HP has 8 films (plus Fantastic Beasts), the MCU has what, 30 movies by now(?), at least 6 shows, and is constantly releasing new stuff. There is of course JW and Avatar, but they really do not get anywhere near as much content per year as the first three. I would love and expect a focus on the trilogy, but I think only doing that will kill the theme pretty quickly. 

2 hours ago, mtrsteve said:

I think the hobbit sets had problems with just being bellow par in visual design as much as anything (unexpected gathering being the glowing exception, with a couple others that were OK). Rings of power could have similar struggles, but there could be a few gems in there, with Celebrimbor's forge being the best example I can think of from season 1, but I am sure there will be more to come from season 2 onward. Again, I think we all agree that LotR trilogy content is the key to making this IP thrive for Lego, but I would be more than happy with the HP/Fantastic Beasts parallel others have drawn.

... now that I think of it, I don't think any of us have brought up the real possibility that the D2C Rivendell includes some connection to the Rings of Power Season 2, which will almost certainly take us to that location (do I recall some mention of sending Elrond to 'Imladris' late in season 1?). Would be interesting if we got Rivendell with LotR figures AND RoP figures...

Rings of Power has nothing to do with Rivendell.  And there is no way that's possible as this set has been thought about at least 18months to 2years ago already.  Rings of Power had nothing to do with Rivendell then and since the set comes out in March it would have nothing to do with Season 2 as they haven't even started filming season 2 yet.  Not only to mention that Season 2 won't be out for at least 2 years from now.  

`

1 hour ago, zoth33 said:

Rings of Power has nothing to do with Rivendell.  And there is no way that's possible as this set has been thought about at least 18months to 2years ago already.  Rings of Power had nothing to do with Rivendell then and since the set comes out in March it would have nothing to do with Season 2 as they haven't even started filming season 2 yet.  Not only to mention that Season 2 won't be out for at least 2 years from now.  

Maybe I took it a step too far (was definitely trying to be thought provoking, and speaking off the cuff), but saying "Rings of Power has nothing to do with Rivendell" presumes a lot. There are already set photos leaking of season 2 (so they *are* filming) that could possibly be Rivendell (it WAS established in the second age as far as I remember, and RoP plays loose with timelines anyway). And it wouldn't be the first time that lego knew something about upcoming IP before the public did. But you're right, this D2C would have been under development for some time, so maybe not a 'real possibility', but definitely not an impossibility either that they include a figure or something (season 1 Elrond and MAYBE Galadriel being maybe the only ones that make any sense) to make a connection to the new IP if they intend to go that route.

Does anyone else recall there being a line in the show that at least strongly implied Elrond eventually being bound for Imladris?

I guess I didn't really mean to imply any of that is *likely* (or even desirable), just having some fun playing around with what is possible.

1 hour ago, mtrsteve said:

`

Maybe I took it a step too far (was definitely trying to be thought provoking, and speaking off the cuff), but saying "Rings of Power has nothing to do with Rivendell" presumes a lot. There are already set photos leaking of season 2 (so they *are* filming) that could possibly be Rivendell (it WAS established in the second age as far as I remember, and RoP plays loose with timelines anyway). And it wouldn't be the first time that lego knew something about upcoming IP before the public did. But you're right, this D2C would have been under development for some time, so maybe not a 'real possibility', but definitely not an impossibility either that they include a figure or something (season 1 Elrond and MAYBE Galadriel being maybe the only ones that make any sense) to make a connection to the new IP if they intend to go that route.

Does anyone else recall there being a line in the show that at least strongly implied Elrond eventually being bound for Imladris?

I guess I didn't really mean to imply any of that is *likely* (or even desirable), just having some fun playing around with what is possible.

Even if Rivendell shows up in season 2, which I doubt it will, there’s no way Lego would have a set based off of episodes of a show that likely wouldn’t release until around a year after the set releases. 

Plus more importantly, Lego‘s deal is with Warner Brothers, not Amazon. If they wanted to include Rings of Power characters in the Rivendell set they’d need to reach an agreement with both companies, making things tremendously complicated and cutting into Lego’s profits all over a couple unnecessary minifigures  

I would absolutely love Rings of Power sets, but they’re likely never coming, and being included in this upcoming Rivendell set definitely ain’t it. 

On 12/18/2022 at 9:35 PM, RichardGoring said:

I wonder if the success of Hogwarts at microscale would inspire them to try for something similar with LOTR. A somewhat sprawling and impressive model that could also look good just generically as an amazing semi-fantasy mountain/woodland settlement.

Or whether they have sight of the next season of Rings of Power, as there is speculation that Rivendell will be in a future season, and would likely be a major location and they want to fit as much in as possible?

I still think they could do something awesome with minifigure scale versions of a few main locations loosely tied together to make it feel cohesive.

Bad form to quote yourself? Either way, I was reading the other week about Rivendell possibly being in season 2 of Rings of Power, maybe the origin story with Elrond. And it was commissioned for five seasons, so there is likely a high level story arc that they're going for.

Rivendell isn’t established by Elrond until the War of the Elves and Sauron after Eregion is destroyed. BUT Rings of Power certainly doesn’t seem to care about canon timelines very much (I did actually enjoy the show a lot even though there’s a LOT wrong with it, it’s wonderful to be back in Middle-Earth). That said, I would be very surprised if Rings of Power sets happen, although the specific mention of the show on their official page is intriguing. I would hope for movie sets but I would never say no to them branching out. The fact that the Brickheadz are from the movies is also very telling. I like that they mention the books too