Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

I saw those videos too, I have not seen any confirmation of anything said in them (I think there are two YouTube videos, but one references the other as the source).  I think Barad Dur is June not October (seems to discredit the videos from the start since it has been confirmed for June by reliable sources prior to the videos creation).  The videos seem mostly like good guesses (although I would love if they were true).

It could very well be likely there are sets on the way for the movie release (or slightly after), or the original trilogy particularly around Rohan.  Lego has the rights to make sets and already has the theme, not a stretch that they come out with a handful of sets along side the movie.  Hoping that is true but until we see real confirmation I look at those as a wishlist.

1 hour ago, Lordhelmet said:

I saw those videos too, I have not seen any confirmation of anything said in them (I think there are two YouTube videos, but one references the other as the source).  I think Barad Dur is June not October (seems to discredit the videos from the start since it has been confirmed for June by reliable sources prior to the videos creation).  The videos seem mostly like good guesses (although I would love if they were true).

It could very well be likely there are sets on the way for the movie release (or slightly after), or the original trilogy particularly around Rohan.  Lego has the rights to make sets and already has the theme, not a stretch that they come out with a handful of sets along side the movie.  Hoping that is true but until we see real confirmation I look at those as a wishlist.

Yeah but we don't know if lego has the rights to the War of the Rohirrim.  We know they have the rights to the Hobbit/LotR but that's all we know so if anything it will be more likely sets based off of those movies.  

Are we sure LEGO still has the rights to The Hobbit? Couldn't these rights have been limited to sets released between 2012 and 2014? Likewise for LOTR, perhaps the production rights are very regulated and only concern a small quantity of pre-established sets.

1 hour ago, zoth33 said:

Yeah but we don't know if lego has the rights to the War of the Rohirrim.  We know they have the rights to the Hobbit/LotR but that's all we know so if anything it will be more likely sets based off of those movies.  

It’s true we don’t know for certain if they have the rights to the new movie (or the hobbit for the same reason).  I think it is more likely they would have the rights to the new movie because the new movie is part of the same rights package as the original movies (vs ROP which is separate).  So it is possible they only have the original trilogy rights because we only have sets from those movies, but it is a likely scenario that they would have all of the movie rights based on how the studio has those rights (LOTR, Hobbit, and the new one).   Unless someone gets ahold of their licensing agreement or they start producing sets we won’t know for sure but it would definitely handicap their ability to produce sets for one of their themes with a current movie out if they separated the movies in their agreement.

7 hours ago, ian74 said:

Another new rumor video on YouTube.  Says that Barad Dur is now slated for an October release and we should expect new sets based on the new War of the Rohirrim movie coming this winter.  Also seemed convinced that more sets based on the Peter Jackson trilogy would be coming. He noted another recent video from Jedi.Bricks saying similar things. I am quite skeptical. I'm just not convinced this theme is going to be revived to that extent.  What do you all think?  

I would say while surley those things would be possible, they don´t seem very likley to me. The rumour that Barad Dûr was moved to October came up here before, but since neither that or the new source (which might just be based on the other one anyways) seem quite credible, I wouldn´t put to much belive on it unless one of the known leakers mentions something like that.

2 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Are we sure LEGO still has the rights to The Hobbit? Couldn't these rights have been limited to sets released between 2012 and 2014? Likewise for LOTR, perhaps the production rights are very regulated and only concern a small quantity of pre-established sets.

In the end we don´t know anything about license agreement that exist so basically everything we can do is speculate. But it wouldn´t seem actually that unlikely that Lego does have the rights for both LotR, the Hobbit and might even have them for WotR too. In the end Lego wouldn´t be interested that another company would do Sets to either of them, even if they plan to do on LotR-based Sets. But as mentioned, all that is just speculation, and they could have aswell made just one for LotR alone, or even one that has multiple franchises.

20 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

I would say while surley those things would be possible, they don´t seem very likley to me. The rumour that Barad Dûr was moved to October came up here before, but since neither that or the new source (which might just be based on the other one anyways) seem quite credible, I wouldn´t put to much belive on it unless one of the known leakers mentions something like that.

In the end we don´t know anything about license agreement that exist so basically everything we can do is speculate. But it wouldn´t seem actually that unlikely that Lego does have the rights for both LotR, the Hobbit and might even have them for WotR too. In the end Lego wouldn´t be interested that another company would do Sets to either of them, even if they plan to do on LotR-based Sets. But as mentioned, all that is just speculation, and they could have aswell made just one for LotR alone, or even one that has multiple franchises.

One youtube video said it got pushed back to October and that's it. I'm still expecting to see it come out in June

2 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

One youtube video said it got pushed back to October and that's it. I'm still expecting to see it come out in June

As I said, unless one of the known leakers says something otherwise I wouldn´t expect a moved release date either.

36 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

I saw it pop up in a few videos, always with no source or reason given. Well, almost always - one guy claimed they moved it to not conflict with Rivendell. As little sense as that does make...

Maybe this is another case of a particular set that is releasing in October but being mistaken by this supposed-leaker as Barad-dur.

Hoping it is an earlier release and not October.

Maybe it's Pharrell Williams in a big black apartment building...:laugh_hard:

Nerd of the rings did a nice brief overview of where middle earth rights sit a couple weeks ago. I figure many of you would find this interesting given how often it's coming up in the thread:

59 minutes ago, mtrsteve said:

Nerd of the rings did a nice brief overview of where middle earth rights sit a couple weeks ago. I figure many of you would find this interesting given how often it's coming up in the thread:

Quite interesting, though, there are some things where I am not sure the video is 100% correct. First of all, it is known that the Amazon Series is more limited in what they can do (for instance only the second age) and I am not actually sure if they bought the overall license to make Middleearth-Series but only to make a series in the second age or something.

Another thing and this one is more related to this thread, is the licensing. He mentions Merchandise would be licensed through Middle-Earth Enterprises and even pictures Rivendell there. But later in the video he states that the rights for merchandise for the films are at WB/New Line Cinema and even mentions that you need their license for merchandise of the films and the ones of Middle Earth Enterprises if you want to depict things that were not in the films.

Now we know Lego couldn´t name Gimlis father in the Set, because he isn´t named as such in the Film and so they clearly only have the WB-License, like we already knew anyways.

That beeing said, the video is still quite interesting, but the important thing we were all wondering about is still the contract between Warner and Lego. 

An other thing I am still wondering about is why Warner can license Merchandise based on their works but in the video it is also said, Amazon might not be able to do it because Merchandise rights are with Embracer. But well sounds like speculation to me anyways and might aswell be some part in any of the licensing contracts (maybe even the one between amazon and New line, who knows)

5 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Quite interesting, though, there are some things where I am not sure the video is 100% correct. First of all, it is known that the Amazon Series is more limited in what they can do (for instance only the second age) and I am not actually sure if they bought the overall license to make Middleearth-Series but only to make a series in the second age or something.

Another thing and this one is more related to this thread, is the licensing. He mentions Merchandise would be licensed through Middle-Earth Enterprises and even pictures Rivendell there. But later in the video he states that the rights for merchandise for the films are at WB/New Line Cinema and even mentions that you need their license for merchandise of the films and the ones of Middle Earth Enterprises if you want to depict things that were not in the films.

Now we know Lego couldn´t name Gimlis father in the Set, because he isn´t named as such in the Film and so they clearly only have the WB-License, like we already knew anyways.

That beeing said, the video is still quite interesting, but the important thing we were all wondering about is still the contract between Warner and Lego. 

An other thing I am still wondering about is why Warner can license Merchandise based on their works but in the video it is also said, Amazon might not be able to do it because Merchandise rights are with Embracer. But well sounds like speculation to me anyways and might aswell be some part in any of the licensing contracts (maybe even the one between amazon and New line, who knows)

This is why I lean toward Lego likely being able to make sets based on the upcoming movie later this year (since it is WB/New Line).  We know they have the merchandising rights for the LOTR films, so while we won't know for certain until sets come out, it is likely that they would have the rights for the Hobbit and the upcoming movie as well.  I guess we will find out.  I wouldn't be disappointed to get a Rohirim battle pack based on the upcoming movie.  I am hopeful we will get something LOTR later this year or early next year (beyond Barad Dur and some brickheadz).

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Amazon only had rights to the appendices.  They don't have rights to the Silmarillion or much of the second age.  

Also merchandising for the films and the books are different properties.  The films are through WB.  The Tolkien estate decides what and who they give out rights to.  The rights for merchandising the books is different from WB.  Also Embracer bought the rights to make video games and possibly make movies so far there had been no mention if they would do anything with toys or figures.  

Edited by zoth33

1 minute ago, zoth33 said:

Amazon only had rights to the appendices.  They don't have rights to the Silmarillion or much of the second age.  

Well but exactly that is my point. The video makes it sound like, they bought the license for series since that was still with the Tolkien Estate, but the part of the licensing that is limiting them isn´t even mentioned. 

4 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Well but exactly that is my point. The video makes it sound like, they bought the license for series since that was still with the Tolkien Estate, but the part of the licensing that is limiting them isn´t even mentioned. 

Nerd of the rings is pretty knowledgeable about LOTR stuff, the licensing for the LOTR is petty complicated because of the Tolkien estate but hopefully we will see some more LOTR sets coming in the future and maybe by the end of the summer we will have more concrete knowledge of sets from the original trilogy or sets that tie into War of the Rohirrim.  I hope that these rumors are true and I also think that Barad Dur is still coming in June.  It will be nice to see some new LOTR sets and places we haven't seen in lego form yet like Bree, Gondor, other parts of the shire, etc.  

9 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The minifig line-up is Sam, Frodo, Gollum,  Sauron, the Mouth of Sauron, a Nazgul, 2 green orcs, and 2 brown orcs, according to @Brick Clicker! Sounds awesome :wub:

So excited! Day one buy

There was an April fools leak yesterday on the LOTR subreddit and it sounded like the perfect wave. Balrog, treebeard, a little battle pack, a Gollum mech (lol), and a helms deep. Darn do I want a real line so bad! 

I will buy the Tower when it comes out, but even though the Mouth of Sauron makes sense for the location, I kind of wish it was the Witch King.

Let’s goooooooooo!!!

Minifig lineup is solid, except one or two additional Nazgûl would have helped a lot. I disagree that it should have been the Witch King. There are already two highly desirable bad guy figures in the set that each require new helmet molds, it’s just not realistic. Also, it’s good that they’re saving some desirable characters for future sets. Last Alliance figures would have been optimal but I never had much hope in that. Hopefully someday. I’ll definitely be lining up on release day

48 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

So excited! Day one buy

There was an April fools leak yesterday on the LOTR subreddit and it sounded like the perfect wave. Balrog, treebeard, a little battle pack, a Gollum mech (lol), and a helms deep. Darn do I want a real line so bad! 

Only day one for me if there is a good GWP this time (not the brickheadz again).   A definite buy though (to keep the LOTR collection complete) and very excited for the set overall.  I do like the minifig line up, I am interested to see how the new mouth of Sauron will compare to the old one.  Very happy to get another Nazgul (hoping we get one of their mounts).

I would love that line up even if it did have to have a mech, but hoping we get some more sets late this year or early next year, particularly a battle pack.  Would love one to have Uruks as I need like 50 more for helms deep, but I am doubtful of getting that.

Pretty good line up overall. Shame there's no Last Alliance characters but I'm happy with the additions of the Nazgul, Gollum and Mouth of Sauron to the set.

I don't mind that they've skipped the Witch-King as I'd rather get him in the duel with Eowyn.

4 minutes ago, wesker said:

Pretty good line up overall. Shame there's no Last Alliance characters but I'm happy with the additions of the Nazgul, Gollum and Mouth of Sauron to the set.

I don't mind that they've skipped the Witch-King as I'd rather get him in the duel with Eowyn.

Finally someone who gets it! If they include every figure everyone wants in this set then it’s a sure sign that they have no future plans for them. Saving some really desirable ones for later is a good thing

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Finally someone who gets it! If they include every figure everyone wants in this set then it’s a sure sign that they have no future plans for them. Saving some really desirable ones for later is a good thing

I get what you're saying and that's a good way to look at it, although I'm less hopeful about a full wave, so I'd rather just get as many figs as possible as there's no guarantee of future sets. The wave of sets in 2012 definitely excluded plenty of important characters so I just hope it stays around long enough to fill in some of those gaps. Super excited about finally getting a Sauron figure! Sounds like a pretty good lineup