Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

I would be surprised if they chose to release play sets now. Targeting children with these sets is unlikely to bring new kids to LEGO, and do for those that do get sets, they are probably just moving spend from one then to another.

Whereas, if they do teen/adult focused D2Cs or dioramas, then there's a lot more teens/adults who won't be into LEGO who are likely to buy into the new theme. Especially if they can do a lower price point option.

I could see a case for battle packs, add they have potential to be bought in large numbers by T/AFOLs.

Promobricks released an interesting article about the design process of the Rivendell set: https://www.promobricks.de/designer-vortrag-bruchtal/

Three of the set‘s designers held a presentation at the Skaerbaek fan weekend, and the article above provides a summary.

Looks like the people that suggested a microscale model were not far off, because that‘s exactly what the first version was! They even brought that prototype with them to the event :laugh: While it was a great model in its own right, I‘m glad they redesigned it to be minifig-scale.

Nice find! I’m extremely happy with the Rivendell set as is, but that microscale model looks incredible :pir-love:

It looks great indeed. But I belive to make the model they made was the right decision in the end. I think most people prefer to get more minifigures and it is just easier to add details in a set of that size.

If you look at pictures of the back you can even see a micro-scale version of the Council Chamber that they ended up going with. 

4 hours ago, Unknown Jedi Master said:

Could anyone do me a favor and check if the hairpiece used on the Hunter Orc (piece 18166) can be worn together with a  breastplate (2587)? 

Unless I've mixed up my hairpieces and breastplates (always possible!), they can be worn together:

Spoiler

53211146751_885806cc41_c.jpg
53211526789_3f63b4a6b9_c.jpg
53211657730_86a86ae424_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Corvus Caurinus said:

Unless I've mixed up my hairpieces and breastplates (always possible!), they can be worn together:

Hide contents

I think they meant the Orc hairpiece with the ears

It looks really good, and it would be amazing if they released instructions for it, but I agree that the realized model is better, as the detail is more interesting, any it has greater presence due to the additional height. Love that they kept the visual style and color palette the same though.

4 hours ago, Corvus Caurinus said:

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for the pictures, that's precisely what I was looking for! I'll now be able to place some BL orders for pieces to build a small orc army! 

7 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

It looks really good, and it would be amazing if they released instructions for it, but I agree that the realized model is better, as the detail is more interesting, any it has greater presence due to the additional height. Love that they kept the visual style and color palette the same though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think those 2x2 wedge tiles have ever been released in sand blue....same with all the other sand blue parts in the build. :(

2 hours ago, ForgedInLego said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think those 2x2 wedge tiles have ever been released in sand blue....same with all the other sand blue parts in the build. :(

There were some transparent pieces that I thought might have been 3D printed for the concept too. But yes, likely some non-produced parts, but that doesn't mean they couldn't in the future.

It would also just be good to see what they had in the interior and get a better sense of the model with instructions. Or maybe a more detailed overview and photo collection.

When I say I hope they bring back the Orc hair piece I’m 100% referring to the one with the ears, not the Mohawk one. Although I’m sure they could come up with something similar but dual molded like the Elf hair piece 

21 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

When I say I hope they bring back the Orc hair piece I’m 100% referring to the one with the ears, not the Mohawk one. Although I’m sure they could come up with something similar but dual molded like the Elf hair piece 

I‘m convinced they‘ll go with a new piece since the old mould surely was retired along with most of the others. It‘s pretty amusing though that some pieces introduced for LOTR have stuck around since, like the One Ring, the Hobbit hair, and more surprisingly, the Uruk-hai sword :laugh_hard:

And yeah, the prospect of it being dual-moulded is pretty sweet :sweet: It‘s so sad the theme was retired just when dual-moulding arrived on the scene. As the Rivendell set demonstrates, LOTR is a theme that greatly benefits from having dual-moulded pieces

9 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I‘m convinced they‘ll go with a new piece since the old mould surely was retired along with most of the others. It‘s pretty amusing though that some pieces introduced for LOTR have stuck around since, like the One Ring, the Hobbit hair, and more surprisingly, the Uruk-hai sword :laugh_hard:

And yeah, the prospect of it being dual-moulded is pretty sweet :sweet: It‘s so sad the theme was retired just when dual-moulding arrived on the scene. As the Rivendell set demonstrates, LOTR is a theme that greatly benefits from having dual-moulded pieces

Speaking of dual molding, I really hope we can get a Boromir figure at some point that has dual molded printed arms. It would be the perfect figure

My apologies if this has been discussed already, but what color do we expect Sauron's armor to be?

I am not sure whether flat silver, black, or perhaps pearl dark grey would work best for him.

11 hours ago, Unknown Jedi Master said:

My apologies if this has been discussed already, but what color do we expect Sauron's armor to be?

I am not sure whether flat silver, black, or perhaps pearl dark grey would work best for him.

I would say definitely not black. I think Pearl dark grey would be best, and if not that then plain dark grey

6 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Yeah I'm team pearl dark grey.

Count me in! My personal ranking is:

1. pearl dark grey
  2. flat silver
  3. dark bluish grey

Black wouldn‘t work. Like, at all.

So, the next survey leak set has just been confirmed via brickmerge, namely the medieval town square! Fingers crossed Barad-Dûr will be confirmed soon too! :excited:

We first heard about Rivendell last November, right?

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

So, the next survey leak set has just been confirmed via brickmerge, namely the medieval town square! Fingers crossed Barad-Dûr will be confirmed soon too! :excited:

September. But back then it was just known that a bigger Lord of the Rings set would come, not which yet. Or better said, there were the first rumours that there might be one coming.

8 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

September. But back then it was just known that a bigger Lord of the Rings set would come, not which yet. Or better said, there were the first rumours that there might be one coming.

Oh, I completely misremembered it then :blush: 

But another set from the survey leak will become reality, namely the dwarves’ cottage from Snow White! Getting closer :excited:

11 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I heard that there are also other castle sets coming next year but I don't know how reliable that is but I hope it's true.  

All I know is that I really hope LOTR continues in Lego.  I am a bit worried about all of the leaks without any news on Barad Dur (or any future play sets).  My biggest hope is that they pushed Barad Dur back to a summer release to include additional sets with the release, which is why we have not heard about it yet.  If it get pushed out of next year completely it will definitely save me a bunch of money for other things other than Lego as I will probably only pick up a handful of Star Wars sets like the midi scale ships and dioramas.  Here is to hoping we see Barad Dur and some Gondor soldiers next year.

I sincerely hope Barad-dur comes out in the spring of next year. The latter half of the year has always been loaded with new D2C, so spreading out the pain on my wallet would be very much appreciated. 

As a user pointed out in the Medieval Village thread, it seems likely that the survey wasn't to gauge interest but to set prices, so my money is on Barad-dur coming out next year.