Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The survey leak said it includes Sauron, Sam, Frodo, and some Orcs. I’m hoping more were added later in the process but I’m not holding my breath.

Personally, I'd be fine with just these figures. Of course I'd prefer the set to have as many as Rivendell, but it's not really necessary IMO. Give me that sweet overdue Sauron minifig, and I'll gladly dish out those $500 :laugh_hard:

19 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Personally, I'd be fine with just these figures. Of course I'd prefer the set to have as many as Rivendell, but it's not really necessary IMO. Give me that sweet overdue Sauron minifig, and I'll gladly dish out those $500 :laugh_hard:

Absolutely! New Orcs and a new variant of Frodo and Sam are really great bonuses too. Heck, I’ve been wanting a huge Barad-Dûr set for so long that I’d buy it even if it came with no figures. But that Sauron is long overdue 

2 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Absolutely! New Orcs and a new variant of Frodo and Sam are really great bonuses too. Heck, I’ve been wanting a huge Barad-Dûr set for so long that I’d buy it even if it came with no figures. But that Sauron is long overdue 

Indeed! If TLG announced that they would only release one more LOTR set till the end of time, I would pick Barad-dûr without thinking for even a second. It's time for a real LEGO Eye of Sauron! *glares at TLBM Joker Manor*

10 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Indeed! If TLG announced that they would only release one more LOTR set till the end of time, I would pick Barad-dûr without thinking for even a second. It's time for a real LEGO Eye of Sauron! *glares at TLBM Joker Manor*

It will feel so good to finally get it after all this time. The Eye is certainly iconic (even though it’s not like that at all in the book), and it will look fantastic with a light brick, which I’m sure they’ll incorporate somehow. I just hope the tower is taller than Orthanc. It’ll be a little embarrassing if it’s not…

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

What list? So far I have only seen "10332 could be the medieval village"?!

I didn't mean to say that there was a list of confirmed survey leak sets, but that there were lists from known reliable leakers saying or at least very heavily implying ( and they wouldn't do that if they weren't sure, only exception I can think of was the confusion about Indy 5 getting sets) that the Gotham, X-Mansion and castle village set were coming.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Well we could get just those figures but still get as many as Rivendell, like what if it's  Sauron, Frodo, Sam and like 12 -17 orcs :laugh:. I mean I'd like Prologue figures but I'm not saying they're a must for the set ( hell I'd buy with no figures ( but I'd obviously rather it had them)).

I'm curious if Lego is completely 'locked out' of the ROP/ LOTR licensing, other than what they have for the movies (New Line/ WB)?

It would be great if they could expand to just beyond the movies.

10 minutes ago, hikouki said:

What else is there though that lends itself to sets? ROP has no merchandise in general and the games are not too much in the current zeitgeist I think. Unless it involves making fun of that awful-looking Gollum game (and even that is old news by now).

Maybe the upcoming War of the Rohirrim movie?

3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What else is there though that lends itself to sets? ROP has no merchandise in general and the games are not too much in the current zeitgeist I think. Unless it involves making fun of that awful-looking Gollum game (and even that is old news by now).

My point is that someone had pointed out that Lego could not reference anything from the LOTR lore other than what was shown in the movie - no character, place or event whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, hikouki said:

My point is that someone had pointed out that Lego could not reference anything from the LOTR lore other than what was shown in the movie - no character, place or event whatsoever.

Sure, but even if they could, what's the point? Why include a character in a set based on the movies that has no movie equivalent? I wouldn't be a fan of them mixing official movie designs with something they invented themselves (or fan art) :tongue: Also, it's not like there's a shortage of movie stuff they haven't covered yet. Let's focus on those missing elements first

17 minutes ago, hikouki said:

I'm curious if Lego is completely 'locked out' of the ROP/ LOTR licensing, other than what they have for the movies (New Line/ WB)?

I think their License only works for the Hobbit and Lotr movies. For ROP, it was said that Amazon doesn´t have the rights to make merchandise for it, so I guess it is just not possible, if it is true. All in all that licensing stuff is quite complicated, as you won´t find any reliable information I guess.

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Actually the greatest chance I see for new Lord of the Rings Sets, aside from big one in a year ones, are the movies Peter Jackson is working on. There might be Sets for them and when they just picked it up, there is a good chance for more (like Harry Potter for example)

I’m in a very lucky position in that I still have most of the 2012 - 2014 sets and minifigures so it’s mostly potentially larger sets that interest me, or very small ones which could be used as army builders 

With a version of the medieval village being made I hope Barad Dur isn’t far behind - somewhere between March and August I imagine. I could see it being fast-tracked after the success of Rivendell 

Then next year they will have had time to design other sets from the films which they can also loosely connect to rings of power - even if they’re just based on films we could get Galadriel and Celeborn in a D2C Lothlorien, or the Numenorian architecture of Minas Tirith

Okay, there are so any pages here and i could not catch up! A quick quesiton: are we expecting anything from Lord. Of the Rings theme for later this year or next year?

1 hour ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I’m in a very lucky position in that I still have most of the 2012 - 2014 sets and minifigures so it’s mostly potentially larger sets that interest me, or very small ones which could be used as army builders 

With a version of the medieval village being made I hope Barad Dur isn’t far behind - somewhere between March and August I imagine. I could see it being fast-tracked after the success of Rivendell 

Then next year they will have had time to design other sets from the films which they can also loosely connect to rings of power - even if they’re just based on films we could get Galadriel and Celeborn in a D2C Lothlorien, or the Numenorian architecture of Minas Tirith

I bought a lot of these sets during Covid, and have even purchased an IKEA cabinet to house them. Never got to building them at that time due to some life events. Looking at their value now on eBay, I am even thinking of leaving the cabinets empty! LOL

20 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Okay, there are so any pages here and i could not catch up! A quick quesiton: are we expecting anything from Lord. Of the Rings theme for later this year or next year?

Barad-Dur. Rumored. Another rumor is that it will be microscale on the exterior but with minifig scale interior.

9 hours ago, hikouki said:

I bought a lot of these sets during Covid, and have even purchased an IKEA cabinet to house them. Never got to building them at that time due to some life events. Looking at their value now on eBay, I am even thinking of leaving the cabinets empty! LOL

Barad-Dur. Rumored. Another rumor is that it will be microscale on the exterior but with minifig scale interior.

Was Gollum included in the minifigure line-up on the survey? It’d be a bit dark but the only time we saw inside Barad Dur was to see Gollum’s prison cell / torture chamber lol 

17 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Was Gollum included in the minifigure line-up on the survey? 

Nope, which would be an odd exclusion. Unless they lost/broke the old mould and deem it too expensive to resurrect it :grin:

The list just included Sauron, Sam, Frodo, and some orcs. No idea where that list came from though, as the leaked image certainly isn’t clear enough to make out individual minifigs. Maybe the survey included a minifig list to help participants decide on the sets’ values? :shrug_oh_well:

11 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Nope, which would be an odd exclusion. Unless they lost/broke the old mould and deem it too expensive to resurrect it :grin:

The list just included Sauron, Sam, Frodo, and some orcs. No idea where that list came from though, as the leaked image certainly isn’t clear enough to make out individual minifigs. Maybe the survey included a minifig list to help participants decide on the sets’ values? :shrug_oh_well:

The survey showed and image and then accompanying text with a description and price range.

It's also worth noting that some of the price ranges were quite wide, suggesting room for changing things quite a lot. And some of the models shown were clearly not reflective of the intended price range. So I think it's all very early prototype stuff with things still to be finalized - whether the model, the figures, the price, or anything else they may do.

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The list and description was provided by @JeanGreyForever. Provided before the images also leaked. The Survey they are taking had both images and descriptions and I think they said that most of the sets in the survey were already released ones with the few never-before-seen ones being the exception and not the rule.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:53 AM, JeanGreyForever said:

I can confirm that there is a Barad-Dur set in production after much fan request. It will feature 4000 pieces and the price range is expected to be $320-520, probably around $400. The description of the set that I saw said it is 33 inches/83 cm high, 17 inches/44 cm wide, and 14 inches/36 cm deep. The image I saw only featured the set and didn't include any minifigures but the description does mention that included will be Frodo with the One Ring, Sam, Sauron, and Orcs. The Eye of Sauron is visible at the top but I'm assuming that there will be a minifigure of Sauron in full armor as well. The description also mentions that the set features dungeons and armories. I'm not allowed to include an image of the set unfortunately but it looks incredible.

Though actually you should remember, because you were here commenting on it at the time.:tongue:

On 1/29/2023 at 10:22 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Come on, an X-Mansion, a Batman The Animated Series set, a Zelda set, and now another LOTR rumour? :laugh_hard:

Nice try, but none of these are even slightly believable. Try harder :tongue:

2 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Though actually you should remember, because you were here commenting on it at the time.:tongue:

Oh, whoopsie :blush: Yeah, I completely forgot that we got more detailed descriptions as well, I only remembered @JeanGreyForever giving us the information, not that he provided minifig lists on top of that :grin: And I still feel bad for making fun of him

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Oh, whoopsie :blush: Yeah, I completely forgot that we got more detailed descriptions as well, I only remembered @JeanGreyForever giving us the information, not that he provided minifig lists on top of that :grin: And I still feel bad for making fun of him

I think, to be fair, it was a leak of such epic proportions, that not even the spam/jokster 'leakers' would have the gall to try it. :laugh:

But once again, thanks to @JeanGreyForever for sharing and forgiving us for not believing it.

I did notice that the Lord of the Rings theme was listed as retired in the new update to the VIP (Insiders) program.  I was adding my old sets to my account and noticed that the new sets were not under the theme despite being on the website.  I am holding out hope that Brad Dur will happen (would love more) but am not too happy that there have not been any leaks of it considering how much we have heard about other themes.

7 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

I did notice that the Lord of the Rings theme was listed as retired in the new update to the VIP (Insiders) program.  I was adding my old sets to my account and noticed that the new sets were not under the theme despite being on the website.  I am holding out hope that Brad Dur will happen (would love more) but am not too happy that there have not been any leaks of it considering how much we have heard about other themes.

I think it's because LEGO categorizes Rivendell as an Icons set, which is what they would do with future similar sets. But that do have LOTR as a category on the website, along with the Brick Headz. Ultimately, they make up their own rules and can bring it back instantly if they want.

On 8/22/2023 at 2:42 AM, RichardGoring said:

I think it's because LEGO categorizes Rivendell as an Icons set, which is what they would do with future similar sets. But that do have LOTR as a category on the website, along with the Brick Headz. Ultimately, they make up their own rules and can bring it back instantly if they want.

One big Icons set and a few small BrickHeadz make up as a nw theme? Nonsense. It feels…random. 

I could understand there are BrickHeadz sets under Disney theme along with several non-Icons Disney (minifigurne and minidoll) sets, that’s a theme.

i guess Lego wants to scream “Look we have LOTR theme here!!! Come and buy them!!” by putting it on website. 

Rivendell set was nominated for 2023 TOTY. Should be good encouragement for Lego to make more LOTR sets!

On 8/20/2023 at 9:55 AM, hikouki said:

I don't think LEGO wants to take a chance on ROP sets. The show bombed real hard. Only 37% of its viewers finished the show. When doing a second season, you want to get at least most of your viewers back. That clearly won't be the case for ROP. It's also safe to assume that of the 37% that finished the show, a lot of them won't be back for season 2 either. I still think ROP sets would perform well no matter how bad the show is, but non-ROP sets are just lower hanging fruit and an easy slam dunk. 

Edited by Something_Awesome