Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

1 hour ago, mtrsteve said:

That's just the way it is. License rights can get awful specific. Case and point, Lego isn't allowed to do a Star Wars collectible Minifigures line. They've made every Star Wars character under the sun, but they aren't allowed to sell them in that particular format. And the Tolkien estate is notorious for being very specific about their license deals, which has only become more complicated in recent years with more and more of the material being adapted.

Lego can still make smaller sets and label it 18+ it doesn't have to be a kids set.  Only time will tell and we will see what happens.  

1 minute ago, MAB said:

Sure, they could make them if they had the agreement to make them. The sets they have done so far suggest that they were aiming for the premium adult market rather smaller sets. They would exclude smaller sets if they didn't originally plan to make them and didn't get the agreement to make them. Remember these agreements are usually made for multiple years and they don't meet every few months to come up with variations to what they agreed. 

It may well be that they didn't plan to make them as they didn't sell so we'll first time around in supermarkets and toy stores, and that with the increase in adult interest, it is better they do big and exclusive sets only. 

Yeah we don't know what the agreement is.  But it seems they have put some effort back into the theme and some people have hinted at other things coming so we will see over the next several months what happens with this theme.  

1 minute ago, zoth33 said:

Lego can still make smaller sets and label it 18+ it doesn't have to be a kids set.  Only time will tell and we will see what happens.  

Only if they agreed that with Warner, as that is who they license it from. But that license is very unlikely to be that they can make anything and everything they want. There will likely be a stipulation as to how many and the types of sets they agree to produce over the lifetime of the agreement. 

1 minute ago, MAB said:

Only if they agreed that with Warner, as that is who they license it from. But that license is very unlikely to be that they can make anything and everything they want. There will likely be a stipulation as to how many and the types of sets they agree to produce over the lifetime of the agreement. 

Yeah like I said we will see what happens with it I hope there is more than large sets and those ugly brickheadz.  It would be nice to see Gondor at some point.  I actually can't wait for War of the Rohirrim coming out later this year would be cool if we got sets from that movie but I don't know if they have a deal on that property.  

A small set can take the form of a battle pack... still rooting for that!

A side build perhaps?

Or just a scenery?

I'll take all three!!!

I’ve been thinking lately about whether Barad-Dûr will have a side build of some sort. If that’s the case, I think the likeliest possibilities are a Fell Beast, Shelob, or the entrance to the Sammath Naur. 

11 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’ve been thinking lately about whether Barad-Dûr will have a side build of some sort. If that’s the case, I think the likeliest possibilities are a Fell Beast, Shelob, or the entrance to the Sammath Naur. 

Unless they're micro builds to match the scale of the tower, I can't see that being the case (Unless they're an easter egg on the rocky base)

The Fell Beast is the only real candidate for a Minifig scale side build....would be a good opportunity to address the glaring absence of the Witch King in any LotR Sets so far ;) 

I actually think we're going to see the inclusion of at least 3 Nazgul, as they'd be no different from the statues included in Rivendell, mostly identical.

Edited by TheDoctor

3 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Unless they're micro builds to match the scale of the tower, I can't see that being the case (Unless they're an easter egg on the rocky base)

The Fell Beast is the only real candidate for a Minifig scale side build....would be a good opportunity to address the glaring absence of the Witch King in any LotR Sets so far ;) 

I actually think we're going to see the inclusion of at least 3 Nazgul, as they'd be no different from the statues included in Rivendell, mostly identical.

I wouldn’t expect a helmed Witch King, they’ll save that one if they actually do have plans with the theme. But I don’t see the other side builds being any less realistic than a fell beast. Each option would be about the same size. It’s like the Ent that came with Orthanc. Or the Leviathan that came with Avengers Tower. It happens all the time, those aren’t micro builds. I could see any of them happening honestly, especially with the inclusion of Frodo and Sam. Since they never go near the tower itself, I can see them giving those characters something to interact with 

9 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I wouldn’t expect a helmed Witch King, they’ll save that one if they actually do have plans with the theme. But I don’t see the other side builds being any less realistic than a fell beast. Each option would be about the same size. It’s like the Ent that came with Orthanc. Or the Leviathan that came with Avengers Tower. It happens all the time, those aren’t micro builds. I could see any of them happening honestly, especially with the inclusion of Frodo and Sam. Since they never go near the tower itself, I can see them giving those characters something to interact with 

What I really want is a Balrog like the one from the game and your profile pic!

A travesty that was teased and never made, a perfect £30 set.

Not perhaps 100% on topic, but has anybody some info about any LOTR or ROP merchandise from other companies shown at the London Toy Fair?

9 hours ago, brimbolet said:

Not perhaps 100% on topic, but has anybody some info about any LOTR or ROP merchandise from other companies shown at the London Toy Fair?

I doubt there will be any. I don't think anything was done for the first series.

I'll probably be getting Rivendell at the next 2X on insider points. Intended for a display model. Are those who have it, happy with it?

I'm really into the castle and fantasy themes, but I've decided to also get a set from my favorite franchises, so Rivendell from LOTR, Temple of the Golden Idol from Indiana Jones and the UCS X-Wing. Haven't really decided on a potential Harry Potter set yet.

9 minutes ago, AgentCooper said:

I'll probably be getting Rivendell at the next 2X on insider points. Intended for a display model. Are those who have it, happy with it?

I'm really into the castle and fantasy themes, but I've decided to also get a set from my favorite franchises, so Rivendell from LOTR, Temple of the Golden Idol from Indiana Jones and the UCS X-Wing. Haven't really decided on a potential Harry Potter set yet.

Bought it during the last 2x points weekend and I am very happy with it, IMO it looks much better in person than on camera. If you only have the budget for one and can wait till May or so for the reveal of Barad-Dur, you might want to. If you do get it however, you won't be disappointed! 

1 hour ago, AgentCooper said:

I got it over the Insiders Weekend in November and then built it over the Christmas holidays and into early January. Took about two weeks and it was thoroughly enjoyable. A genuinely fun experience, especially for something so large. There are stages in most large sets where the build is a bit repetitive or not very interesting. For me, modulars are great, but the windows are often a chore, but this didn't have that to the same extent. The roof tiles are extensive, but it's broken up into three sections, so not as bad as you'd think. And actually, the satisfaction of lining them all up with a plate was pretty neat. I found the final tree a bit fiddly. But otherwise, really good fun.

It looks great on display too. The colour sequence of the roof and the trees is awesome, and contrasted with the grey of the tower and white of the pagoda.

Would I have two modulars and a bonsai tree or Rivendell? Probably Rivendell, given the currently available modulars. If it was Boutique Hotel and Brick Bank next to each other (I think they look really good), then it might be a bit closer).

It's an excellent set. Have fun with it!

I bought it on day 1 but have not built it yet. I will wait for my two sons to be old enough so we can do it together. For now I just keep smiling looking at the box and thinking it is the most beautifu set Lego has ever made :-)

After all the budget cuts MTS was forced to take I would start worrying if I was you guys :tongue:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

After all the budget cuts MTS was forced to take I would start worrying if I was you guys :tongue:

Expectations heading towards an all-time low...

20 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Lego going all-out on Rivendell, then doing a watered-down Barad-dur will be shooting themselves... I'm not saying they might not do it...

23 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Lego could put empty plastic bags into the box slap the LOTR logo on it and I would still buy it

On 2/9/2024 at 7:02 AM, Roebuck said:

Who are MTS?
And why should worry...

I'm worried now and I don't even know why! :pir-sick:

8 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Who are MTS?
And why should worry...

I'm worried now and I don't even know why! :pir-sick:

Medieval Town Square - which lost a bunch of stuff compared to the survey image leak and went heavy on stickers.

25 minutes ago, Cyprinus said:

Medieval Town Square - which lost a bunch of stuff compared to the survey image leak and went heavy on stickers.

Ohhh I see, thanks :) 

I don't think it lost too much compared to the leaks. A few auxiliary bits of scenery and animals but the buildings look much the same and more complete/ detailed in the actual release.

8 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Ohhh I see, thanks :) 

I don't think it lost too much compared to the leaks. A few auxiliary bits of scenery and animals but the buildings look much the same and more complete/ detailed in the actual release.

Animals are the big thing, but they also cut down on trees and sidebuilds. The building that became the cheesemaker also had two storeys in the leak.

On 2/9/2024 at 8:02 AM, Roebuck said:

And what about the Snow White Cottage that gained two minifigs, several animals, plus the glas coffin? Or the Sorting Hat that pretty much stayed the same? :tongue: There's zero indication that Barad-dûr will be downgraded in any way!

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

I'm hoping if the Tower sells well Lego does an Icons Balrog vs Gandalf Bridge set.