Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

55 minutes ago, chewymurphy said:

What face might work better for Legolas that’s currently being produced? Hoping to find one in a current set that’s on the market, it would probably be much cheaper on bricklink

(Edit: sorry misread original question) Look at his face from the hobbit lineup instead of the lotr one! Much cheaper if you get that vriant of his face! Got mine for $1.5 yesterday!

Edited by kuzyabricks

51 minutes ago, chewymurphy said:

What face might work better for Legolas that’s currently being produced? Hoping to find one in a current set that’s on the market, it would probably be much cheaper on bricklink

The face I'd expected them to reuse is the face for Pattinson Bruce Wayne / Tom Riddle, which appears in all 3 "The Batman" sets and the Hogwarts Chamber of Secrets. Eyebrows are a little thick, but I think the cheekbones are pretty spot-on and the main expression would work really well for Legolas imo.

I have the og Legolas head so I'll be using that, but I think I'll use the Pattinson head for the generic masc elf (I dislike the Draco/Kaz face).

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

Can we realistically envisage in the future the appearance of a big Bag End set with all the characters of Thorin's Company?

Or should I now turn to the secondary market in order to acquire the figurines (which are overpriced)?

1 minute ago, Khargeust said:

Can we realistically envisage in the future the appearance of a big Bag End set with all the characters of Thorin's Company?

Or should I now turn to the secondary market in order to acquire the figurines (which are overpriced)?

I mean maybe if Rivendell sells really well, plus other sets, I can definitely see it. The issue is since Lego is hesitant enough to make LOTR sets, they’d be more hesitant about making a Hobbit set. So IDK, it’s up to you. 

12 minutes ago, LegoAUT said:

I don‘t think it‘s realistic at this point. 

I respectfully disagree. I think everything is possible :) considering Bag end as a one of the most iconic location, i strongly believe, that IF Lego decide to continue producing LotR sets, we get Bag end at some point. 

I doubt we'd get 18+ Hobbit sets at this stage. The movies are over and are nowhere near as followed as LOTR. Maybe at some stage but more likely to be kid sets again, if they go down that route for Middle Earth.

As for being overpriced, it is now limited stock priced at what the top end of buyers will pay.

1 minute ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I respectfully disagree. I think everything is possible :) considering Bag end as a one of the most iconic location, i strongly believe, that IF Lego decide to continue producing LotR sets, we get Bag end at some point. 

With the entire cast of The Hobbit?

15 minutes ago, MAB said:

I doubt we'd get 18+ Hobbit sets at this stage. The movies are over and are nowhere near as followed as LOTR. Maybe at some stage but more likely to be kid sets again, if they go down that route for Middle Earth.

As for being overpriced, it is now limited stock priced at what the top end of buyers will pay.

With the entire cast of The Hobbit?

That depends on the scale of the set. As D2C I would expect all Thorins company + Bilbo and Gandalf (ergo 15 figs in total). As a smaller version playset (similar to the last one) I guess they include just Bilbo, Frodo, Sam and Gandalf possibly with horse or cart. 

21 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

That depends on the scale of the set. As D2C I would expect all Thorins company + Bilbo and Gandalf (ergo 15 figs in total). As a smaller version playset (similar to the last one) I guess they include just Bilbo, Frodo, Sam and Gandalf possibly with horse or cart. 

Given the number of figures in Rivendell, that doesn't leave many places for LOTR characters. It would then presumably be badged as The Hobbit like the original sets were, rather than LOTR. And we don't know if they will be producing The Hobbit sets again. 

6 minutes ago, MAB said:

Given the number of figures in Rivendell, that doesn't leave many places for LOTR characters. It would then presumably be badged as The Hobbit like the original sets were, rather than LOTR. And we don't know if they will be producing The Hobbit sets again. 

It could be badged as ICONS same as Rivendell. My point is that Bag end is possible and if Lego makes more sets from Middle-earth then its more or less probable, since it is important location. Whether they include characters from The Hobbit or LotR is debatable, and as I said, from my point of view, it depends on scale. There is only few LotR characters that make sense to be included. On the other hand, there are handfull of characters from the Hobbit that fits in here. Either way, I believe that Bag end will be reinteoduced… 

If they were to produce a hobbit set it would be bag end. And it's a popular enough choice and for a D2C sized one, the hobbit characters would just make more sense.

Though I think they might include both.

I mean the statue in this set is a repeat of itself so let's say we could get 14 figs of Young Bilbo and the company of Thorin, plus 4 repeats from this Rivendell set, namely Gandalf, old Bilbo, Frodo and Samwise.

21 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

It could be badged as ICONS same as Rivendell. My point is that Bag end is possible and if Lego makes more sets from Middle-earth then its more or less probable, since it is important location. Whether they include characters from The Hobbit or LotR is debatable, and as I said, from my point of view, it depends on scale. There is only few LotR characters that make sense to be included. On the other hand, there are handfull of characters from the Hobbit that fits in here. Either way, I believe that Bag end will be reinteoduced… 

The question being replied to was whether it would be Bag End with Thorin's company, or should they buy the minifigures now. There have been no serious rumours about The Hobbit returning so it seems unlikely at this stage that the complete company would come in an 18+ set. They'd still need permission to use The Hobbit characters, even if the main theme remains ICONS. 

I imagine it will be a bit like HP vs Fantastic Beasts when it comes to adult sets.

Think the set looks fantastic, I think we should be more than satisfied with the amount of figures (however as an owner of all previous lotr figure, I would have wished for a few more new characters) as well as an more than amazing design. Although to expensive at the moment, and luckily enough Im totally uniterested in brickheadz so no need for the gwp and day one purchase. 

A Bag End set is definitely possible! However, I doubt they’d include all the dwarves for the simple reason of it being too costly, under the assumption that a vast majority of the moulds are not available anymore. Out of the 13 dwarves, 10 had new parts, only three of which have been reused after that in other themes (Balin’s hearpiece, Dwalin’s beard, and the hairpiece used for Thorin, Fili, and Kili).

Sure, they could cheap out and give some of them reused beards, but I’d rather not have them again if they’re THIS inferior to the originals :tongue:

9 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I disagree that this set is only a little bigger than fruit flower mountain.  I have fruit flower mountain and I think will be much bigger than that.  And once again why are people comparing it to Ninjago city gardens that is an unlicensed set and isn't even close to the detail in this set.  I have a question for you did you buy the lion knights castle?  And if not what is the largest set you own?

Why not compare Lego Sets? I try not to compare Lego Sets to non-Lego sets beacuse then Lego could never win.^^

But for me, the feeling of what you get for your money is important too. So I compare Sets. Do you have tje City Gardens? It has many details in every regard, a fun building experience and looks stunning. And it cost me only 230€ with a discount.

My biggest set is Hogwarts Castle, bought at 330€ - soooo...?

This (license) Set feels way too expensive (as I wrote in my first post, I really like it, but the price...). I love it that we finally get a new LotR Set, but Lego knows how to grab the cash of die-hard fans, releasing only one big set with a price beyond good and evil. That is my only real criticism. Even with applying Lego standards, 500€ is too much. But I`m repeating myself.^^

13 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

A Bag End set is definitely possible! However, I doubt they’d include all the dwarves for the simple reason of it being too costly, under the assumption that a vast majority of the moulds are not available anymore. Out of the 13 dwarves, 10 had new parts, only three of which have been reused after that in other themes (Balin’s hearpiece, Dwalin’s beard, and the hairpiece used for Thorin, Fili, and Kili).

Sure, they could cheap out and give some of them reused beards, but I’d rather not have them again if they’re THIS inferior to the originals :tongue:

I agree with this, I don't want to see the dwarves with really inferior designs and reuse, which is what they would likely do if they did make this. Although having detailed shire would be pretty sweet, I'd much rather they tied it to the lord of the rings and did a large display for Bilbo's party with all the tents and party decorations setup, if they were to do it.

As someone who’s halfway through building an adapted version of the rejected Ideas Bag End set by saabfan (mostly just removing the book and fixing some unavailable colours), not sure how I’d feel about an official 18+ set, for the purely selfish reason of my poor wallet.

The ideas set was rejected in June 2021 - is that too early for an official Bag End already being worked on / idea thrown round for the return of the LotR theme?

If it was LotR themed though, would be a good chance to get old (but not as old) Bilbo with the hobbit hair in grey and his party attire. Probably also green shirt Frodo, reused Gandalf with his cart, party Sam, and a few other hobbits - definitely thinking old Proudfoot who watches Gandalf ride into town.

Edited by PotterBlocks

14 minutes ago, neithan said:

Why not compare Lego Sets? I try not to compare Lego Sets to non-Lego sets beacuse then Lego could never win.^^

But for me, the feeling of what you get for your money is important too. So I compare Sets. Do you have tje City Gardens? It has many details in every regard, a fun building experience and looks stunning. And it cost me only 230€ with a discount.

My biggest set is Hogwarts Castle, bought at 330€ - soooo...?

This (license) Set feels way too expensive (as I wrote in my first post, I really like it, but the price...). I love it that we finally get a new LotR Set, but Lego knows how to grab the cash of die-hard fans, releasing only one big set with a price beyond good and evil. That is my only real criticism. Even with applying Lego standards, 500€ is too much. But I`m repeating myself.^^

You are comparing sets you bought in a discount with set for the retail price? :D Be at least fair. You can compare it to the Hogwarts Express or Razor Crest, both of them are recent sets for the same price point. Ninjago city sets are good for the price-per-part ratio, but honestly? NCG is a huge disappointment for me design-wise. 

500 USD is a lot of money, but then, it will be possible to buy it outside the Lego shop with a significant discount - I am sure of it. 

9 minutes ago, PotterBlocks said:

would be a good chance to get old (but not as old) Bilbo with the hobbit hair in grey and his party attire. Probably also green shirt Frodo, reused Gandalf with his cart, party Sam, and a few other hobbits - definitely thinking old Proudfoot who watches Gandalf ride into town.

Yes! I would love this, would also be cool to get a Rosie cotton minifigure, and more obscure but would also be cool to get the Sackville Baggins too

43 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Unfortunately Balin's beard hasn't been used since 2015 so I assume the mold for that is gone. Dwalin's should still exist though as it was used as recently as 2021.

Thorin, Fili and Kili shouldn't require their old hairpiece anymore since the Bro Thor one is more or less a modern replacement to that part. I have no doubt it will be used on Eomer if he ever returns to the line.

sh753.jpg

13 minutes ago, PotterBlocks said:

If it was LotR themed though, would be a good chance to get old (but not as old) Bilbo with the hobbit hair in grey and his party attire. Probably also green shirt Frodo, reused Gandalf with his cart, party Sam, and a few other hobbits - definitely thinking old Proudfoot who watches Gandalf ride into town.

1 minute ago, Timobricko said:

Yes! I would love this, would also be cool to get a Rosie cotton minifigure, and more obscure but would also be cool to get the Sackville Baggins too

Don't forget new Merry and Pippin variants covered in ash from their fireworks prank.

I think a Lord of the Rings based Bag End with some additions would be more likely than a Hobbit one. Including Bilbo's party and Gandalf's cart would help expand the figure selection and piece count, whilst also not taking up so many pieces that it detracts from Bag End itself. The only rooms we'd need for Fellowship would be the entryway, parlour, kitchen, and Bilbo's study. Plus, all the Hobbits would be cheap to make with the new dual-moulded legs and a few extra recolours of the hobbit hair. Not that Thorin's company wouldn't be nice to get (the only Hobbit sets I got when they released were ones with no Dwarves) but as discussed Lego likely doesn't have the moulds to do those designs justice. 

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

You are comparing sets you bought in a discount with set for the retail price? :D Be at least fair. You can compare it to the Hogwarts Express or Razor Crest, both of them are recent sets for the same price point. Ninjago city sets are good for the price-per-part ratio, but honestly? NCG is a huge disappointment for me design-wise. 

500 USD is a lot of money, but then, it will be possible to buy it outside the Lego shop with a significant discount - I am sure of it. 

For the time being we dont know if there will be any discounts for the LotR Set.

When there will be a discount, I can compare the sets equally.^^

So then: Hogwarts Castle for 400, LotR for 500. Hogwarts is the better Set and has better value - for me. :-D

33 minutes ago, neithan said:

For the time being we dont know if there will be any discounts for the LotR Set.

So then: Hogwarts Castle for 400, LotR for 500. Hogwarts is the better Set and has better value - for me. :-D

Hogwarts castle is really nice-looking display piece. But I personally don't like the open back and I wouldn't enjoy stacking a pile of tan bricks... It has a ton of small pieces and nothing interesting frankly...but I get that many fans love it. I would also like Rivendell for 400 USD. I don't like the price one bit. 

There will be discount at some point, at least from secondary market :) 

38 minutes ago, neithan said:

Cool, you enjoy your hogwarts and I’ll enjoy my Rivendell.  I like HP and have a few sets but would never buy hogwarts for 400, so overpriced for what you get, even on sale at 300 still crazy overpriced for micro scale.  So I guess to each their own.

it would be cool to get an $800 LOTR set someday too, like a monster minis tirith.  (In the same vein as the falcon or atat).

I have the Hogwarts set and plan on getting Rivendell (which might actually end up taking Hogwarts’ spot on the shelf unfortunately). Hogwarts is beautiful, and I love HP. It was worth full price to me. But I love LOTR a lot more than I love HP and I do think Rivendell is a better set, and still worth full price. Both have the open back. But when it comes down to it, I prefer playscale to nanoscale. Hogwarts is perfect for display, but definitely lacks in the minifig department and in the minute details that can’t be captured at nanoscale. Rivendell excels at minifigs and detail. Both are excellent sets. Both worth full price to me. But it’s comparing apples to oranges really, they’re two completely different style sets