Jim

[TC14] Technic Theme Park Contest - Information Topic - Deadline 7th of September

Sad stuff...:sad:

People can always rig or try to influence if they REALLY want to...

Luckily, we have vigilant moderators that counter this. 

I think the voting element is essential in these contests because they're a big part of the fun and it's a big part of the "activity" that having a contest like this is intended to generate. 
This is why we have a 50% community vote and a 50% jury vote.

2 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Voting should be limited to Technic forum members only who have been active in the past six months before start date for contest.

Plus a jury vote.

Or a minimum number of posts? I think that's easiest to check.

I am not worried about rigging, even if it cost me a prize or a medal, because if a MOC is as good as it would need to be to win a medal, wether they won by hook or by crook, it would still be a worthy opponent and it would still be a pretty decent MOC.  Now if the same lame entry from the same person wins contest after contest, then you can start crying foul, and when it is as obvious as we have seen just recently, then you have to call it out.  I think the rule we have about invalidating suspiciously new members votes when rigging is suspected does enough to counter the small time cheats.  

I actually think @Bublehead is right. What effect do such votes have? A handful of votes out of the ~40 votes now cast, is highly unlikely to rig the whole thing. The fact that everyone has to distribute their points among 6 entries, is already a pretty effective way to prevent the contest from rigged voting. That way, noone can inflate the points for 1 entry. It's "only" 10 out of their 26 points. I think any dishonest attempt to "make" a particular entry win, will look suspicious far before it becomes a threat of any significance. And then there's still the staff judging, so any effect on votes counts for 50% anyway. Staff judging can't be influenced (or so I have always assumed :laugh:).

When the whole judging is done, it's a small math exercise to calculate how many extra votes would have been needed to change the winner.

(That said, I don't know how much work goes into checking vote validity right now and whether judges find that "worth it" or not.) Also, I don't know what @Jim meant when he said "public voting". It looks like we assume he meant "voting by members", but he may have meant "voting by posting in a visible topic". If the member's votes are sent in by PM, they aren't "public" either.

I have been thinking about it and I think a post count treshold might do the trick. Post count greater than 100 for example. 

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I have been thinking about it and I think a post count treshold might do the trick. Post count greater than 100 for example. 

That's a great idea but at the same time it means folks like me need to post our thoughts more often to be eligible to vote ;)

1 hour ago, arijitdas said:

That's a great idea but at the same time it means folks like me need to post our thoughts more often to be eligible to vote ;)

That’s an added benefit/incentive :wink: