Flavius Gratian

[COR] HMS Windblown - Class 2

The Royal Navy continues its ship expansion in light of continuing pirate raids on merchant shipping. The latest vessel out from the shipyards, HMS Windblown, is a small cutter built for speed, armed with six 4-pounders, and served by a well drilled crew. She's thus perfectly suited for hunting down small pirates or smugglers, going on patrol missions, or carrying dispatches.

40845174724_bab1056947_c.jpg

40845026004_789d890a4f_c.jpg

40845026184_88d611b211_z.jpg

40845026434_ef3fc6a80d_z.jpg

40663420245_6392280ed4.jpg

40663420515_4d4956983d.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OOC: I was inspired by the Sloops for the Royal Navy project but I wanted to build a smaller vessel so I don't think it quilifies. I'll probably licence it myself.

This is my first time doing a complete rigging. I now understand why some of you consider such a hassle, but I thought it was fun and I'm happy with the result!

C&C is appreciated!

Edited by Flavius Gratian

Nice little ship with a perfect name! Great job on the rigging and sails, especially that Corrish naval jack! Well done. :thumbup:

The rudder and sails are well designed ... As well as the nice touch of the flag.  

My only nit pick is the bow ... I like the 1 brick width but i just wish the hinges were more flatering to the curve. Even with this its still a fine ship

This is a great little ship, sails, rigging, decks - excellent details and shape!

Very nice looking little topsail cutter, Flavius!

Amongst the things I like are:

Transom and rudder: For such a little vessel, you have given it the perfect amount of adornment, and the rudder is great.

Sails and flags: Brilliant! Can you share how you made them? What is the material, how did you fashion them, and how are they attached? And we need to know how you made the flags too! My ships need those!

Decks and crew: You really made it come alive and the decks look properly busy with guns, hatches, crew and weapons.

Masts and rigging: Great to see the mast divided at the top, great shrouds, stays, etc, and placement and size of spars are spot on.

Hull: Overall nice shaping at such a scale. Looks very sharp and fast. I am sure she will be the bane of many a smuggler!

Story: You demonstrate that even with a short story, you can give a vessel life and introduce it into the lore. Well done!

Suggestions

Hull: her sides seem rather straight right now. Some curvature along the side could make her look even better, although it makes internal space much harder to build... :P

Sails: my only comment is that the topsail somehow looks a bit out of proportion. I think lowering the upper yard for a more rectangular sail, and adding a more trapezoid shape by increasing the difference between upper and lower width may help.

Masts and rigging: I would suggest you try mounting the yards, gaff, and boom without the technic connectors. Squaresail yards can be mounted by string and halyards, and gaff and boom by a fork at the mast and halyards.

Anyways, overall really nice cutter! I will adjust the Sloop for Royal Navy incentive to offer incentives for Class two vessels too, as we have seen some great examples. (Same payment as for class two gunboats.) That said, you are welcome to license her yourself, but I think people should be able to build these for the RNTC too, if they want! :)

That is a very nice executed small vessel and a very fine attempt on basic rigging.

I do follow the feedback that the bow should be not as abrupt compared to the side of the vessel. I think it would be nicer if there was a smooth curved line :)

23 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Nice little ship with a perfect name! Great job on the rigging and sails, especially that Corrish naval jack! Well done. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like the name and I'm quite happy with the naval jack as well! I've always prefered the British blue squadron colours so I wanted to bring it to Corrington.

22 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Sleek little ship! Nice job on all the rigging, it turned out awesome!

Thanks! Glad you like it!

17 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

Really well done, I like the gold ingots on the stern!

Thank you! I wanted to add some detail to my otherwise sleek ship!

16 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

The rudder and sails are well designed ... As well as the nice touch of the flag.  

Thank you! I'm also happy with the flag, glad it's appreciated!

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

That is a very nice executed small vessel and a very fine attempt on basic rigging.

Thank you! What aspects would be a more advanced rigging?

16 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

My only nit pick is the bow ... I like the 1 brick width but i just wish the hinges were more flatering to the curve. Even with this its still a fine ship

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

I do follow the feedback that the bow should be not as abrupt compared to the side of the vessel. I think it would be nicer if there was a smooth curved line :)

I agree with both of you, but couldn't figure out a good solution. Do you have any suggestions?

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

Very nice looking little topsail cutter, Flavius!

Amongst the things I like are:

Transom and rudder: For such a little vessel, you have given it the perfect amount of adornment, and the rudder is great.

Sails and flags: Brilliant! Can you share how you made them? What is the material, how did you fashion them, and how are they attached? And we need to know how you made the flags too! My ships need those!

Decks and crew: You really made it come alive and the decks look properly busy with guns, hatches, crew and weapons.

Masts and rigging: Great to see the mast divided at the top, great shrouds, stays, etc, and placement and size of spars are spot on.

Hull: Overall nice shaping at such a scale. Looks very sharp and fast. I am sure she will be the bane of many a smuggler!

Story: You demonstrate that even with a short story, you can give a vessel life and introduce it into the lore. Well done!

Thank you very much! I wanted get some adornments in there as I usually don't have any. It's always fun to add some life to the build, glad it worked!

I'm also happy with the divided mast. I feel particularly proud of using the grid for the platform (do they have a name, by the way?), though somebody else may have done it before.

The sails and flags are just cut out of cloth, it's quit easy although they sometimes fall apart at the edges. The main jack consists of two pieces that I've just sewn together, one blue and the other white. Then I just painted the white one using textile pens, though it's not very good when you look closly because the paint keeps spreading where you don't want it.

26713153507_3743183773.jpg

Both flags and sails are fastned using string:

41581708421_4d00d1a888.jpg

41540552972_388ecd3708.jpg

41581528941_b870758519.jpg

Hope they're usefull, I had some problems getting the camera to focus!

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

Hull: her sides seem rather straight right now. Some curvature along the side could make her look even better, although it makes internal space much harder to build... :P

Sails: my only comment is that the topsail somehow looks a bit out of proportion. I think lowering the upper yard for a more rectangular sail, and adding a more trapezoid shape by increasing the difference between upper and lower width may help.

Masts and rigging: I would suggest you try mounting the yards, gaff, and boom without the technic connectors. Squaresail yards can be mounted by string and halyards, and gaff and boom by a fork at the mast and halyards.

I agree with most of it. She's straight because I find it hard to make ships more curve more when they're this small. I also used the base from the Western Wind so I didn't think about it that much.

I hadn't realised about the topsail, I'll see if I change it, but will at least keep it in mind for the future.

I had wanted to mount them as you suggest and looked at some of the pictures you've posted but I didn't have enough parts to make it work. I'll have to invest in some!

6 hours ago, Bregir said:

Anyways, overall really nice cutter! I will adjust the Sloop for Royal Navy incentive to offer incentives for Class two vessels too, as we have seen some great examples. (Same payment as for class two gunboats.) That said, you are welcome to license her yourself, but I think people should be able to build these for the RNTC too, if they want! :)

Thanks again! I'll have to think about whether I'll keep it or give it to the Navy. I've become a bit attached now that I've worked on it!

4 minutes ago, Flavius Gratian said:

I've become a bit attached now that I've worked on it!

I know the feeling! :P

And thank you for the update on the flags and sails! Very helpful! Did you do anything special for the topsail? Seems like it may have some seems at the edges?

1 minute ago, Bregir said:

And thank you for the update on the flags and sails! Very helpful! Did you do anything special for the topsail? Seems like it may have some seems at the edges?

I should hope they're appreciated! I managed to drop my phone onto the ship while taking them, breaking the mast and everything :pir-murder: Thankfully only two small string actually broke! 

Yes, I folded the edges and stiched the topsail to avoid them tearing apart. Ideally I'd have done the same to all the sails, but I didn't think about it until they were already cut out so they wouldn't have fitted. Also, it's harder with non rectagular shapes.

@Flavius Gratian

check my Gotheborg (recently posted some teasers :p ). I even have to do the ratlines :p

I think I easily spent 25 hours (probably more) on rigging alone :)

Edited by Maxim I

1 minute ago, Maxim I said:

@Flavius Gratian

check my Gotheborg (recently posted some teasers :p ). I even have to do the ratlines :p

I think I easily spent 25 hours (probably more) on rigging alone :)

Yes, I've had a quick look, it's very impressive! I don't think I have the dedication to spend that much time, so I'll probably stick to basics :wink:.