bmerigan

[MOC] 75192 UCS Millennium Falcon "Kessel run" cargo pod

Every fan by now knows of the "Kessel run" Millennium Falcon which we'll see in the May 2018 Solo movie which has a cargo pod extension between the mandibles. Lego released a midi-scale version (set 75212) early in 2018.

I searched around but couldn't find anybody who had attempted this addition to the 75192 UCS Millennium Falcon, so I gave it a go myself.  There's no list of parts and it is way too heavy, it's just what I could do with the parts on hand.

Here's some pictures:

IMG_20180312_183341.jpg

IMG_20180312_183359.jpg

IMG_20180312_183501.jpg

IMG_20180312_183517.jpg

It slots in place with the long plate-with-rail on each mandible sliding into a groove in the side of the cargo pod.

Edited by bmerigan
image uploads no longer worked

Quite nice!  Flows nicely with the rest of the ship, and as a first try with limited source material to work with so far, it's great!  :classic:

Brilliant! Great work blending it with the UCS Falcon, it must be a huge chunk to add to the set.

Looks sweet. Better flow than the official sets. Wow, I had never even thought of it being a cargo pod just for the kessel run, I thought it was some bs they added to retcon the Falcon. 

I didn't think it should be too wide at the front.  I just extended the lines of the mandibles till they tapered down to what I thought was a reasonable nose width.

My other option was a whole 6x3 wedge plate shorter which I felt was definitely too wide across the front. 

I think you might be right by about 2 studs, but... this is the parts I had on hand.  We'll see in May won't we?

this is awesome, i tried to make one but gave up, now will try again later after seeing this

Have fun!

I found it an odd width to fit between the mandibles, 9 studs, so everything was 4 + 4 + 1, or 8 + 1. Not neat.

Does it hold up with the extra weight on the mandables? Do you need to add some sort of extra landing gear on the underside to hold it up?

@rolekeeper I tried to replicate it with a semi-solid interior but the mandibles almost fell off, so because of that I hollowed out the interior and it works just fine.

I can't see any flex in the mandibles when I slide it into place.  I don't leave it on long term though, pretty sure the weight would have some impact after a few months.

I hear about people with flexing mandibles. I figure they have altered the interior and taken away some of the internal bracing.

When building, there's a row of 1x2 jumpers on the body, and after attaching the mandible there's a plate which holds it to these jumpers. That appears to be the main part which stops drooping.