Sign in to follow this  
Sariel

[VIDEO REVIEW] 42069-B: Mobile based vehicle

As could be expected, the 42069's B-model is way more interesting than the 42070's one, even if it's not too pretty:

Thanks for this review. The B-model seems to have more interesting functions than the A-model. Also the B-model is more "hamster friendly"! 

Andy D

I'm not so sure about this model.

I mean, the all wheel drive is nice, and steering and articulation are OK functions, but most of the other functions are just moving panels. The trailer's arm isn't driven, and the "base" is a folding box with a crane that's simpler than that of 42064. Not sure how this qualities as "technic". A City set or a Star Wars ship also has hinged panels. You can't even deploy the "outriggers" without lifting the box (which can't be done in reality).

I think my problem with it is that all functions just feel very "local". There's no function, except drive, where the part controlling the function is any distance away from the function itself. The main model has this problem too in places, for example with the doors. At least 8466's doors had a knob on the roof that had to be pushed. In 42069A, you open the door just by, well, opening the door. In 42069B, you move the loading arm by, well, moving the loading arm. You rotate the crane by grabbing the crane and rotating it. That's not Technic. It would have been Technic if all the moving panels in the base were linked and you could fold the base out with one movement.

Usually I build both models of a set, but here I really see no reason to.

I think the crane's problem is that it's difficult to make it controlled from a distance and foldable at the same time. It's doable, but would require some complex connections requiring pieces this set doesn't have. And I believe it's possible to add a gear wheel at the crane's base to rotate it by a know when in upright position.

Thanks a lot again for an excellent review, Sariel! 42069 indeed appears to be a great set, both for parts (priced reasonably) and with two solid models. I will have to get 2 sets!