WesternOutlaw

Floating Lego Boats

I was just looking at some great classic Lego ships, and it got me wondering??? What do most Lego collectors prefer, boats that have one-(or more)-piece floating hulls, or brick built hulls. The early mini-fig scale boats utilized the 3-4 piece floating hull bricks, later to be replaced with single piece floating hulls (like the new fire boat. But some classic 80s City/Marina sets had the brick built hulls that really looked great (as well as a few newer boats).

How important to play value is the floatable Lego boat? Do your ships go in the tub? Or are they dry-docked for EB mystery adventures?

fishingboat2.jpg

Floatable Lego Ship Daily Tip: The scent of Irish Spring will eventually wear off your Lego boat. :-D

Discuss your preference when it comes to floatable Lego boats/ships. Move over rubber duckie. Make way for my floating Lego boat! :-$

Discuss your preference when it comes to floatable Lego boats/ships. Move over rubber duckie. Make way for my floating Lego boat! :-$

(shudders)

Anyway, I definitely prefer brickbuilt. I don't even test the floating hulls in water. Not that i don't mind floating hulls, but brickbuilt ones are just what lego is about, building. Thats why I like the recent firenation ship, its the most recent entirely brickbuilt ship I know of.

Batbrick Away! >:-)

Thats why I like the recent firenation ship, its the most recent entirely brickbuilt ship I know of.

Ouch! The Firenation Ship is one ship that I don't like. Interesting that you mentioned this as an example of a brick-built boat that you like.

I prefer the smaller ships (like those from the Divers theme).

7046 Fire Command Craft was a pretty nice brick-built ship with good detail:

7046-1.jpg

Ouch! The Firenation Ship is one ship that I don't like. Interesting that you mentioned this as an example of a brick-built boat that you like.

Its not my favourite brickbuilt ship, it was the most recent one in my memory. That said I do like it, though part of that goes to my bias for a metal based ship and the fact that was so large and such a great parts package. And that it was one of the only non-pirate and city ships.

I prefer the smaller ships (like those from the Divers theme).

7046 Fire Command Craft was a pretty nice brick-built ship with good detail:

I too prefer the divers ships, but honestly, everyone loves that line anyway. The ship you listed there is a better example than mine, thats a very detailed one, I like it. Out of curiosity, you never actually said, do you prefer brickbuilt ships?

Edited by Batbrick

Lego + water?! :-X I know they'll float, but... they still get wet. :'-( It's just a personal disliking, either look great to me. *sweet*

~Peace

Good question TheBrickster. *sweet* I have five floating hulls; The new cargo ship, the current fireboat, the 4+ pirate ship, the Durmstrang Ship and the Fabuland Paddle steamer. *wub* All of which I tested out in a bath, including the motor. With the sole exception being the Durmstrang Ship, they were tested complete. (I held the Durmstrang Ship in the water, but it was clear pretty fast that it was too stern heavy. :-D ) However, I only bought the Durmstrang Ship, the fireboat and the 4+ pirate ship as they were on sale, and I have only tested them out once or twice. Thus, I can't say that the actual floating ability matters to me that much.

Floating aside, what do I prefer? No easy answer sorry to say! I can't see a ship the size of the cargo ship being a practical brick built ship, but smaller ones like the fireboat I would prefer to be brick built. I also have the Viking Longboat so I have room for another one or two ships that have pre-fab hulls, floating or not. For ths reason the coast guard boat is tempting, but not unbearably so! :-P

Tks Brickster for yet another interesting topic ;-)

I do play in my bathtube with my floatable hulls:

img_2892.jpg

X-D OK lets be serious now. I did that pic for that boat's review ;-)

I do prefer the now floatable hulls for smaller sets !! That 7046 was a thing of beauty and the smaller boat as well !! I love those and I way prefer TLC making these than the oversized speed boat, police and fire boats. And Brickster you mention divers and I fully agree !! Those were beutifull.

However, for bigger hulls like the container ship, I don't really mind, I think its pretty cool looking. Imagine the price of that sized boat brick built |-/ Way over the 70

Well, one time i tried to fill our bathtub up with water to play with the cargo ship from the dock, but i couldn't figure out how to make it so the water stays in... (you have to do it some wierd unusual way)

But on that note, i like both. But i avoid making my lego Be in the same water i bathe in, Lest the stank that the water and soap takes off of me get all over the legos...Really quite insanitary...

Edited by maiq the liar

I prefer so much the lego hulls, it looks better than the brickbuilted hulls. The preconstructed hulls are surely smooter and I prefer it so much.

(sorry for my bad english)

Floating aside, what do I prefer? No easy answer sorry to say! I can't see a ship the size of the cargo ship being a practical brick built ship, but smaller ones like the fireboat I would prefer to be brick built. I also have the Viking Longboat so I have room for another one or two ships that have pre-fab hulls, floating or not. For ths reason the coast guard boat is tempting, but not unbearably so! :-P

Any guy that owns a Sissy Fabu Land Steamer has got to be into "floaties". :-D , plus it appears you've tested quite a few of these boats to be merely experimenting with them. ;-)

Seriously, good points. So the hull size does seem to make a difference (no joke intended).

I do play in my bathtube with my floatable hulls:

X-D OK lets be serious now. I did that pic for that boat's review ;-)

Sure, I'm not buying it with that picture. The yellow rubber duckie in the background gives you away. :-D

I'm sure I'll have the same feeling about the big Coast Guard ship ;-)

This set looks great (for reasons other than Mystery Ship II, Ghost Light of Beacon Point).

I always value your opinion with topics like this *yoda* .

I had not considered the price of a large brick-built hull. My thoughts were on the "playability" value of having a floatable hull.

But i avoid making my lego Be in the same water i bathe in, Lest the stank that the water and soap takes off of me get all over the legos.

See Floatable Lego Ship Daily Tip #1 below the 1st picture.

Myself: I have not put a Lego boat in the tub for 20 years or so (since the original Police Boat). I came real close after buying the new Cargo Ship, just because I was curious to see how far it would sink and level. I just may do so one day. *wub*

It depends on the size of the ship for me. The smaller boats definitely look better brickbuilt. The bigger ships, such as the cargo ship, are probably better looking and more economical to have the one piece hull. The main issue that bugs me is that the floating hulls sit much higher than the brickbuilt ships, because the brick ones are cut off at the waterline.

Sure, I'm not buying it with that picture. The yellow rubber duckie in the background gives you away. :-D

What rubber duckie ?? Its a beautifull Homer and marge bath tube "statue" X-D

I always value your opinion with topics like this *yoda* .

Tks ;-) I do try my best :-P

I had not considered the price of a large brick-built hull. My thoughts were on the "playability" value of having a floatable hull.

Okie ;-) For playability those floatable hulls are great for kids I think !! I would hav loved having boats like that as a kid !! I had probaly like you the old flaotable hull where you needed to add the big heavy part to make it float and I loved it !!

Myself: I have not put a Lego boat in the tub for 20 years or so (since the original Police Boat). I came real close after buying the new Cargo Ship, just because I was curious to see how far it would sink and level. I just may do so one day. *wub*

Yeeeees !! Add the motor and film it :-P

*yoda*

heh, i used to take my floating hull ship into the water all the time with me. i had a pool i used to take into as well, i had a motor from another toy boat i used and i would have hours of fun...jeez i was a loner when i was a child 8-| i also tried the brick built ships in the tub and much to dismay being the young lad i was they floated for a few seconds, either flipped over from being to heavy, took on water and sort of stayed in limbo. needless to say i wasnt to happy and sure wasnt going to let them see the ocean (pool) hehe.

anyway, its kind of a toss up. i like the brick built ones because they are nice to build but the floating hulls are also nice because they are one solid piece for making larger ships. one downside is the floating hull ships are at one set size while the brick built u can make just about anything.

here are some of my favorite floating hull boats:

http://img.lugnet.com/display.cgi?set/new/...1-970094715.jpg

this is the boat i own and love it, has a nice deep hull.

http://img.lugnet.com/display.cgi?set/new/...1-970095021.jpg

these are some of my favorite brick built boats (excluding the Divers theme):

http://img.lugnet.com/display.cgi?set/new/...1-995677336.jpg

also wn this one

http://img.lugnet.com/display.cgi?set/new/...-1003515509.jpg

and this o

http://img.lugnet.com/display.cgi?set/new/...1-995676518.jpg

and that one

seems the smaller speed boats and regular boats (like a fishing boat) are better suited for the brick built. the larger ones (with the old school deep hull) seems fit for larger ships.

Edited by Optikal Illushun

As a child I simply loved the old floating hulls of two or three pieces. *wub*

Nowadays I

When I had one of those 3-4 piece floating hulls, being able to play with in the bath was very important to me (I was a little kid!). Later on, a group of about 4 of us build a huge brick battle cruiser and ceremonially "floated" it on a pond (of course, it went down with all mini-figs and we had to get someone's Dad to fish it out). Since then, no boats on water (I was quite disappointed in the Viking boat set I've got).

For details and display, brick-built hulls are the way to go. Hull pieces are fun too for practical use, especially with a motor. I remember back in the early 90s my cousin had a motor that was able to fit on the bottom of his ship hull, so they're nothing new. I'm not sure where he got it though.

Strangely, I never put my ships in the water, but yet part of me still thinks that Lego boat hulls should float. In comparing Lego to Playmobil, all the Playmobil ships float (Noah's Arc, Viking Ship, Roman Ship, and their collection of pirate ships over the years).

My thought is that boats should float. Creating hulls that can float, and still look good/detailed is the challenge.

I tried putting some of the earlier series "floating boats" into my swimming pool ... needless to say the supposedly floating boat barely floated and this was on a totally flat surface, no cannon balls into the pool flapping around making waves or anything.

My favorite boat would have to be one of the older police boats from the 1990s (cant find it on Brickset) because it was realistic in sizeand not like a huge Navy ship loaned to the police like the new police boat about the be released. I dont know about outside the US, but here I dont know of any police force with boats the size of a corvette or larger patrol craft like the US Navy's Cyclone Class.

http://www.policeguide.com/Photo_Galleries...oat_suffolk.jpg

The largest boats in my local police force look like this. Actually, that IS one of the boats in the Marine Bureau here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bay_Con...e_On_Patrol.jpg

Most are smaller boats like this.

I tried putting some of the earlier series "floating boats" into my swimming pool ... needless to say the supposedly floating boat barely floated

Which boats are these?

I think both are good and have their pluses. I guess the brick-built ones are more traditional and better for allowing the owner to break it up and build an alternative design.

Hopefully TLC continues to sell the two types in the future.

I guess the brick-built ones are more traditional and better for allowing the owner to break it up and build an alternative design.

But where's the "rubber-duckie playfloatability factor" in that? :-D

Yes, actually I like both as well, but I'm a little more partial to a high "Floatability Factor".

A good point was brought up about the sheer scale of the new boats, I'd fear for my wallet and maybe even my bank account if they were brick built! I'll always vouch for a floaty hull on the large ships, but the little ones need to be brickbuilt, that way our own alternates can be built, and when we no longer want them on display they can be broken down. That said, the brick built hulls should preferably have useful hull pieces, I don't want it made out of a couple of <insert that tiresome argument> ones or something I won't use much,, so there are many variables to both.

That said again, after laughing at all the stories of rubber duckies and floating bathtub boats, i may just try it soon :-D

A good point was brought up about the sheer scale of the new boats, I'd fear for my wallet and maybe even my bank account if they were brick built!

I think that is the reason why TLC make single piece hulls in the first place, i.e. to save production costs, not to allow them 'float'. The ability to float is just a property of anything plastic with no holes like a plastic bowl. :-)

See Floatable Lego Ship Daily Tip #1 below the 1st picture.

I was referring to the germs and dirt that were once all over me (shudders at the thought of whatever that was on my school's floor (particularly the gym locker room and gymnasiums :-X ) all over my LEGO...At least the soap is sanitary...yes, i'm a bit of a Germaphobe.