Trekkie99

The Future of Lego Space. (opinions, ideas, discussion)

Hello everyone! I'm brand new here so please be gentle :P

I was browsing through the various topics and felt I had to reply to this one, even though no one's written on it for almost a month...

I too would love Classic Space to make a comeback, and I too bemoan the lack of trans yellow windows!!!

I've actually submitted a proposal to Lego Ideas. I view it as an evolution from the late 70s sets (an homage to mark the 40th anniversary if you will), and I'd love your thoughts on it, and if you like it, your support (otherwise I don't know where I'm going to find 9,897 votes from!)

Any constructive comment will be greatly appreciated: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b0827dea-3bd0-46b2-a733-e2e380fa1794

14 hours ago, Captain Mutant said:

Hello everyone! I'm brand new here so please be gentle :P

I've actually submitted a proposal to Lego Ideas. I view it as an evolution from the late 70s sets (an homage to mark the 40th anniversary if you will), and I'd love your thoughts on it, and if you like it, your support (otherwise I don't know where I'm going to find 9,897 votes from!)

Any constructive comment will be greatly appreciated: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b0827dea-3bd0-46b2-a733-e2e380fa1794

Hey Cap, welcome to Eurobricks! 

I've just checked out your Ideas project, and I like the concept's modular formula and constructive storyline format. I do think those qualities could make the project potentially attractive to the Ideas staff if the project were to reach the 10K milestone. :classic:

By the way, I really like the torso designs on the space colonist figures. Also, are those Atlantis helmets of theirs painted?

14 hours ago, Captain Mutant said:

I too would love Classic Space to make a comeback, and I too bemoan the lack of trans yellow windows!!!

Well, 2017 has been good to us in that respect, with about three different canopy/windshield recolors in Trans-yellow for this year. 

https://brickset.com/parts/colour-Transparent-Yellow/year-2017

Hi Digger and thanks for your kind response.

Since you like my uniforms you can read about how I got the inspiration for them in the first update (I’m using that part of the Ideas page as a blog explaining specific parts of the build in greater detail - I replicate those posts on my blog: captainmutantblog.wordpress.com).

re the spacesuits, yes they are indeed spray painted. Couldn’t find any red or blue versions anywhere and don’t think they actually exist. Maybe another reason to vote for the project? ;)

@Captain Mutant Welcome to EB! 

I had the chance to do some hands-on analyses of one of the 2018 City sets, which includes some of the new rollercoaster elements. To be precise: one 90-degree corner and two straight horizontal track pieces, in... light bluish grey! :sweet: From these parts, you could already build a basic monorail track, without elevation differences, though. 

Less relevant to this discussion: IIRC, the corner was 13 studs wide, which would make a full 180 degree turn only 26 studs wide. The carts run super smooth, and there are little pins underneath that could grab into a chain, for an actual rollercoaster.

Hi Exetrius and thanks!

Oooh a space monorail... that would be exciting. Maybe for my next project, or once I get bored of promoting my current one ;)

3 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I had the chance to do some hands-on analyses of one of the 2018 City sets, which includes some of the new rollercoaster elements. To be precise: one 90-degree corner and two straight horizontal track pieces, in... light bluish grey! :sweet: From these parts, you could already build a basic monorail track, without elevation differences, though. 

Hands on? As in you've actually seen and handled some of next year's City sets? :distressed:

Are they from next year's Mining subtheme? 

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hands on? As in you've actually seen and handled some of next year's City sets? :distressed:

Are they from next year's Mining subtheme? 

Indeed! The biggest from the mining subtheme and the biggest from the mountain police subtheme. Tracks come in the mining one.

Me and some 50 other AFOLs were granted a sneak peek into the 2018 lines. There was a presentation and 4 sets were there in physical form, which we could play around with. :classic:

10 hours ago, Captain Mutant said:

Maybe for my next project, or once I get bored of promoting my current one ;)

Mind you: EB doesn't really allow advertising your stuff, but you are free to do so in your signature. Guidelines

Hi Exetrius. Looking at the guidelines (thanks for the link), I can promote a LEGO Ideas project in a new thread - as long as I don't make a song and dance about it ;)

Since @Exetrius had brought this up earlier on this topic, here's a blog post and corresponding video by The Brothers Brick experimenting with the new rollercoaster elements introduced in the Joker Manor set.

The Brothers Brick - Powering the rollercoaster with LEGO 70922 The Joker Manor [Review]

The potential this could hold for space MOCs/sets could possibly be many things! For example, a space mine cart! 

Anyone have more ideas on what this system could hold potential wise? 

On a side note, maybe we'll get a sweet space themed roller coaster!

1zhms2.jpg

Just now, LegoMonorailFan said:

On a side note, maybe we'll get a sweet space themed roller coaster!

Well, 2016's 41130 Amusement Park Roller Coaster was in a way Space themed, as were many of the other attraction sets in that subtheme, many of them featuring a stylized spin on the Classic Space logo as graphics stickers.

18 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

The potential this could hold for space MOCs/sets could possibly be many things! For example, a space mine cart! 

Anyone have more ideas on what this system could hold potential wise? 

Space minecart, or a public space colony transport system. A large, and very smooth turntable. Maybe elevator with differences in corner and 'depth', maybe?

I just realized that this system lends itself to some extent for track switches, because the track pieces do not directly connect to each other. Thus, you can switch tracks via sideways substitution, which could easily be motorized. Switch to a overhead track by substituting a on ordinary straight with a steep sloped one. Or, it can be done with same-leveled tracks as well, but you'll need to insert a U-turn or S-turn to connect to a parallel track, because for perpendicular one you run into a spatial problem.

TBB has published City set images, among them is the set I talked about with the grey track elements:

l_lego-60188-city-mining-31668663834.png 

If the machinery wasn't in the set, you could pick up a whole stack of that set and satisfy some Space AND Castle needs!

Although I would personally use the rocks for a Space mining operation anyway. Too bad about all that yellow (maybe build a yellow castle, haha)

Awesome!!! Space minecart! As for the fact that the rest of the set is yellow like most City Mining sets, it makes me wonder what would make a cool yellow and (add awesome contrasting color + translucent color :wink: ) space theme? Example: Yellow with "friends blue" + translucent pink? :wacko: :shrug_oh_well: 

10 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Example: Yellow with "friends blue" + translucent pink? :wacko: :shrug_oh_well: 

By "Friends Blue", you're probably referring to Medium Azur, right?

Yeah, even though that has been the shade of blue used most frequently by the theme since its beginning, I'm currently looking at the newly released official images of the theme's sets for 2018, and surprisingly, it seems like they've nearly swapped that color for Dark Azur instead. That's just fine with me, since I definitely prefer that latter color over Medium Azur anyway; and yes, a Space theme incorporating Dark Azure into its sets would be incredible! 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

20 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Too bad about all that yellow (maybe build a yellow castle, haha)

It is half of the old school Blacktron scheme...

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

It is half of the old school Blacktron scheme...

True.  With this yellow and the black from Nexo Knights, you could make some really cool Blacktron builds.  Also, consider the The Bat-Space Shuttle coming soon with a black / trans yellow nose piece.

3 hours ago, x105Black said:

Also, consider the The Bat-Space Shuttle coming soon with a black / trans yellow nose piece.

While the Trans-yellow windshield piece is great, the corresponding Black nose part seems to be printed upon with a gold Bat-emblem unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

It looks like pictures of the 60th anniversary sets are out, and we are getting no spaceships. :sadnew:

Well, 10404 Ocean's Bottom does show a Microfighter-like build of what does seem to resemble the Galaxy Explorer in the right hand corner of the box art. Still... :def_shrug:

I've still got my fingers crossed for some sort of revival of the theme based on the LEGO movie sequel or as part of the 40th anniversary... I'm prepared for disappointment though.