This MOC is finished and has been posted in the entry topic.

CLICK HERE to skip the build log and go directly to the finished MOC info

Hello builders!

I decided I'd give this contest a try,and I'll be building with SBrick's.

Building process is not that far yet, but something already:

20170403_002532_zpskwd2pg65.jpg

The signature move of this build will be a high-power ram:

20170403_002545_zpso0kjsykm.jpg

It's going to be a 4 wheeler, it's ram is rubber band propelled and quite powerful!
The ram will not be it's only feature though:wink:.

I hope you like it:classic:

Edited by shadow_elenter

Nice start, I have a quick question though, how are you planing on reloafing the rubber band each time? And how long would that take? 

I would think for you to get the most potential energy out of the rubber band you are going to need a lot of torque out of your LEGO motor to pull the rubber(s) back for another shot. 

Just something to keep in mind.  

Looking forward to progress 

On 3-4-2017 at 2:23 AM, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Looks good so far, but how will you release the rubber band? Looks strong, should cause some damage.:devil:

The plan right now is to release the ram with 2 servo motors, Icurrently own one so that slows things down a bit. for now

On 3-4-2017 at 2:28 AM, aminnich said:

Nice start, I have a quick question though, how are you planing on reloafing the rubber band each time? And how long would that take? 

I would think for you to get the most potential energy out of the rubber band you are going to need a lot of torque out of your LEGO motor to pull the rubber(s) back for another shot. 

Just something to keep in mind.  

Looking forward to progress 

Reloading is what it does in the video, pulling back does involve a lot of torque, that's why I use 2 L-motors both strongly geared to achieve this goal using four 40-teeth gears.
However, this was tried using 1 battery pack running low on power so as long as the structural integrity allows it I will increase the stored energy even more.

That being said, since I need a second PF servo motor to continue, I turned my attention to the butt of the beast:

20170404_023501_zpsfffbj4dt.jpg

20170404_023523_zpsovqlqo0d.jpg

It will have a secondary weapon on its backside: a crushing vice of a beak! 
This is far from it's final form but will give you a good idea of what it will be.
2 L-motors will be manipulating 4 linear actuators to provide maximum "bite force", the Idea is to use this for crushing parts, ripping off parts or grabbing and pushing the opponent into arena based hazards like saws and hammers as seen on the tv show.

in order to stay inside the 45x45x45 limits the "beak" on the back will be pivoted upwards in rest mode and will tilt down when the green light goes on...

20170404_023322_zps9bkwfpt3.jpg

20170404_023310_zpsyhf1wdau.jpg

Also I tested out It's driving capability's and I was very impressed by the speed, power and maneuverability, even on a battery box that's running low!
Right now I just joined the front and rear sections together to get a feel for how much room is left in between the sections for controls and battery boxes so this is still very likely to change.

That's it for now :)

i am thank full being in the ir category. i would lose in the sbrick category. but then again in the $brick catagory i would probably have better part$.

have fun (winning) laughs

i would be silly to enter the sbrick cat now

aventador

This is a really good start! i love one man army bots, and yours looks good even without armor, just a couple of questions, will you make the grabber "grippier"? because it looks like it can't keep legos into it due to shape and liftarm smooth surfaces there, as for its crushing power, i can say don't trust on that for lego, they are just too strong to be affected by that, the only good result i acheived was using a mechanism to gain 1.5kg of crushing power and put a brick separator on the jaw end, but that one too wasn't effective so hoping for a good grabber from you ;) the other thing i can sa is that if you find a mechanical endpoint that act as releaser then the whole mechanism will be really cool and you'll may can use that channel not for the servo but to transform the jaw in a grabber/lifter arm that would be really impressive.

good work!

6 hours ago, PKW said:

This is a really good start! i love one man army bots, and yours looks good even without armor, just a couple of questions, will you make the grabber "grippier"?

Does this answer your question?

The progress I've made on "maximum impact"

I improved the high power grabber on the back and mad it so it can tilt.
This way it fits inside the 45x45x45 box in rest mode as required by the contest rules, but when the battle starts it folds out to the beast it is!

20170404_232610_zps7fkmyxcj.jpg

20170404_232702_zpsruypizz8.jpg

20170404_231429_zpsyrpuv3sb.jpg

Edited by shadow_elenter

It is really starting to come together.  Nice video too.  I have been trying to work on my final video for presentation, but I am learning as I go.  

Looking forward to more progress.

Super creative and unique technical solutions, I really love this one! :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by agrof

Hello builders!

Time for another update:

maximum%20impact_1_zpsmapxgths.jpg

The "jaws" end Is 85% finished, it all worked as it should so I built the armor around it and I made it structurally extremely sturdy!  the way it is now it can take a serious beating without any problems!
All parts are secured firmly and with as much pins and axles as physically possible. I left some holes unused so I can put beams there to connect the "jaws side"and the"ram side" even better (current connection between the 2 sides is temporarily ans just for building purposes). 

Currently I'm wrestling with where to put the battery boxes and SBricks but I'll figure it out!

The "ram side" has also gotten some more shape, although I'm not sure at all weather this will be the final shape or not.

maximum%20impact_2_zps1xjcr6og.jpg

I widened the beast by 2L and lengthened it by 4L so right now it's only slightly less than the absolute maximum size of 45x45x45.
This was done because I have som more trick's up my sleeve and I truly need all the space I can get...

maximum%20impact_3_zps0zatlemp.jpg

"When you can't build outside the box, make full use of whatever you can inside the box:wink:"  

Funny thing is The "jaws" have become so well build and distinctive, that optically it has become the front of the MOC, even though the "ram" Is more powerful/destructive and thus still the main weapon.

I guess with this MOC, the weakness of the opponents build decides what the main weapon is:tongue:.

enjoy!

Edited by shadow_elenter

Hello builders!

Time for another update:

maximum%20impact_6_zpswcerrohr.jpg

maximum%20impact_4_zpswloz7zgr.jpg

maximum%20impact_5_zpsegvbjqxc.jpg

I finished the "ram side 85% too:sweet:
Up next is linking the 2 sides up using the next trick up my sleeve, position the battery boxes and SBricks and it's technically done! 
...then comes the stage of finetuning and making slight adjustments before filming.

I have a question for you: 

what do you think I need to improve upon in this design? am I going in the right direction to get your vote or am I still missing something?

Let me know!:grin:

Your build is impressive, but I don't like how big it is, (this is something about my hissing criteria) so I really fear that it will became sluggish and with problems on turning when you put up the weight of the battery boxes and other things, so I really need a video to decide about the vote I would give to this.

I mean, if the voting criteria will be "how cool and mechanically complex a bot is" you'll take my 10, but instead there is a "signature move" and "likeliness to win a battle" and I heard someone saying "you should imagine all bot scaled to the same size if you need to compare them" well I don't like 45x45 because most robot would be ineffective and because robot wars has no size limit so I would scale all robots to 1kg and I don't think this design will be effective/so simple to do if you should make it with only 4 motors and 1 BB (as 1kg bot allow to) 

About the signature move itself it looks impressive but also ineffective, as ramming spikes were never useful in real combat even the grabber (that just can't like considering the weight of other robot) looks to small to have and effective grab on other bots like a lego deadlock will

http://twitter.com/DeadlockRW/status/789827399227670528?s=09 

Keep in mind that those are only the critics, if I have to judge concept/realization and looks you'll have 10! Competing with son of amnich and the carbide like entry

4 hours ago, PKW said:

I don't like 45x45 because most robot would be ineffective and because robot wars has no size limit so I would scale all robots to 1kg and I don't think this design will be effective/so simple to do if you should make it with only 4 motors and 1 BB (as 1kg bot allow to) 

About the signature move itself it looks impressive but also ineffective, as ramming spikes were never useful in real combat even the grabber (that just can't like considering the weight of other robot) looks to small to have and effective grab on other bots like a lego deadlock will

interesting response, it goes to show how we all think differently.  This contest has just stolen the idea from the TV show, the rules of such a contest are not well suited for a LEGO contest so instead the contest makers decided upon there own. 

Now I do have opinions about the 45x45x45 rule and think some other rules might have made this more fair, but also more complex.
Fact is that LEGO battle-bots DOES have a 45x45x45 rule so we need to abide to that rule. Fact is also that there is no weight limitation. Anyone is allowed to build heavy, if they don't that's there choise and it comes with a lot of benefits.
If I choose to build a heavy bot,with all the limitations that it brings, I should not be punished later on by being imagined to 1KG.

Making a spinner bot is a choice that comes with the consequence that you need to scale down a bit, imagining them to the same size would give them an unfair advantage, they chose for that design and that includes the limitations that it has.
Scaling to 1KG would give some designs an unfair advantage too. If that rule was there at the start of the contest I would have built something different entirely, so that's not a good solution either.

At the end of the day the contest is to make a BOT that is as good as you can build/ imagine it within the set limitations (and possibilities).

You should imagine them as they are But then in a LEGO battle bots arena

This is LEGO battle-bots, so I built my MOC to attack and destroy a LEGO version of such bots

Personally, I think a lot of design works great in real life battle-bots but works far less well in LEGO due to various limitations.
My approach is making something EXTREMELY hard to be destroyed by anything made by LEGO within the contest regulations, and weaponizing that.

The ram wouldn't work well in real life, however in LEGO battle-bots It's likely very effectieve against some opponents since there's no 1-piece outer shell in LEGO , and that's why I built it.

The jaws are surprisingly strong, and any LEGO bot caught in it will have a hard time escaping(size might still be changed, good point, thank you!!). In this matter the weight of my bot is an advantage, since most light bots wont be able to push me away.
The sheer strength of my bot makes it so I can grab an opponent and push it into arena based weapons(after all they would fight in a LEGO battle-bot arena and all arena's have those)

That's my view on the subject.

Good work om the bot so far, but I personally am not a fan of the large size. This is mainly because of all the empty space in the middle. I like efficient space usage; compactness. Currently, all that's there could also be in a smaller bot. But you said you had some plans, so I'm looking forward to how you will be using all that space. I do personally prefer a single main weapon over multiple smaller ones by the way.

Also there's some unused space between the L motors and the XL motors for the drive. You could save space by flipping the portal hub 180 degrees so the 12t gear is on the other side of the 20t, and theXL motor moves 4 studs towards the L motor and you get 4 studs of extra space between the front and back XL motors.

34 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Good work om the bot so far, but I personally am not a fan of the large size. This is mainly because of all the empty space in the middle. I like efficient space usage; compactness.

I agree, I love compact builds.

Trust me, that space will be filled properly ;-)

37 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Also there's some unused space between the L motors and the XL motors for the drive. You could save space by flipping the portal hub 180 degrees so the 12t gear is on the other side of the 20t, and theXL motor moves 4 studs towards the L motor and you get 4 studs of extra space between the front and back XL motors.

4 studs... exactly enough for an SBrick ;-)

The size is also part of the defensive strategy.

But thank you for sharing your thoughts, nice to see how they align with my own.

Hello builders!

Another update:

Side mounted weapons anyone?!

maximum%20impact_7_zpstma5dmbr.jpg

As I promised @Erik Leppen, I utilized the space inside the bot.

The rest will be filed up with strengthening structures, SBricks and wiring.
It started out as a "well... I can, so why not" idea but it has worked out much better than hoped! The blades spin at a very reasonable speed and they'r more powerful than you'd expect.
I've still got some thing's up my sleeve but I'm not quite sure I can implement all I intend within the contest time frame so I might have to abandon some ideas:cry_sad:(I should have started earlier).

Hope you like it!

Edited by shadow_elenter

It's done!

I've just posted it in the entry topic!

In this topic, I shall give you guy's more info than I could in the entry topic.

Thus build features 4 SBricks (2 of them SBrick plus) 6 L-motor, 5 XL-motor, 2 servo motors, 2 wedo proximity sensors and 4 PF lights.

I designed my bot to be able to compete in real life against other LEGO bots, In real battle-bots a ram like this would not be as effectieve, but since all LEGO bots have individual pieces that make up armour and might have weak spots or vulnerable weapons I decided that a ram is very effective!
The ram is rubber band powered, it's pulled back with 2 L-motors, and released with 2 servo's. I created a sequence in the SBrick profile designer that releases the ram , and after half a second it turns the tensioning motors for a specific number of seconds to wind up for the next release.

The 3 missiles that can be fired with the first smash started out as a joke but ended up surprising me since it shoots further and harder than the LEGO technic canon!

maximum%20impact_15_zpsmd6zqk8h.jpg

In case the ram is not as effectieve against a specific enemy there's a set of very strong crushing jaws on the other side for ripping off parts or grabbing an enemy to push him into the arena pitt or have some other arena based weapon destroy him.

The jaws are powered by 2 PF L motors that work together to extend 4 large linear actuators and give it quite some grabbing force!
The tilt function of the jaws is mainly for getting it to fit inside the 45x45x45 limit, but it's strong enough to push the bot out of tight spots should it ever get stuck.

maximum%20impact_13_zpsrpmx6t4h.jpg

It's a very big bot, and heavy too(4.1 KG), this is part of the defensive strategy, no one pushes this beast around, it pushes YOU! As seen in the video it can push 9 KG around, that's more than enough I'd say :grin:.

I also build it so the body is completely in between the wheels, so if you do manage to flip it over... well, it just doesn't care!

All wheels are driven by their own PF XL motor thru a steering portal axle housing, this gives the bot the ability to choose a gear set before the battle to quickly adapt to the enemy at hand.
For small and fast enemies the high speed gears will give you the required speed, and for larger enemies the low speed gears will give you all the torque you need, and the middle speed gears for everything in between:wink:.

maximum%20impact_11_zps2id15b31.jpg

The sides are actively protected with 16 sawing and crushing spinning blades that turn on when anything gets close! this is done using a proximity sensor on each side in combination with an SBrick plus.

maximum%20impact_14_zps0diqtrqn.jpg

I reinforced the structure all the way around and used all holes in all of the beams to make it extremely sturdy, Also everything is over-engineered to be able to survive battle damage!
All wheels are individually powered, and even if it loses a wheel it's still mobile because it's an all wheel drive design. the ram is pulled back with 2 motors but can function with just one, the jaws pinching motion is also done with 2 motors but can function with one.
So, even if you manage to tear off a wheel, disable a weapon or 2 and it will just keep attacking you.

I also added 4 PF lights... because why not LOL 

maximum%20impact_21_zpsc8jcafa5.jpg

All space inside the bot is utilized, I had a real hard time getting all the wires in good and connected properly. I ended up with a bot weighing 4.1 KG and being 43x43 L long and broad (height I didn't measure yet because it doesn't come close to the limits).
At the end of this build I'm quite pleased with the result, I found a lot of obstacles to overcome because I usually don't build vehicles. This forced me to think inside the box (LOL) and come up with innovative solutions so I learned a lot.

Also this was my first implementation of the SBrick plus and sensors in a MOC so it was nice to play with those little cubes and sensors:grin:.

I hope you like what I build, If you have any questions let me know:classic:.

Edited by shadow_elenter

I will be honest, when you first posted I was not sure about this bot, but seeing the final result, you 100% have my vote.  Awesome bot!!

You used the potential of the Sbrick very well (I especially love the sensor and the sequencer), combined with well tought design... top category player for sure. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Very creative entry! For sure one of the top 3 so far! The ram and jaw seem to be very powerful. They might seriously hurt some of your enemies ;)