Sign in to follow this  
Mengish

(Stranded On) The Wrong Beach

Ahoy Mates!

Here is the first part of my story about how I became a Sea Rat! Hope you enjoy...

7th century AE was not a most favorable time to walk the continent of Halos for a poor peasant’s son but it had its opportunities for a crook who wished to overthrow his fortune. Having left my town for a better future, I headed to Granoleon, Oleon where I worked for peanuts for a few months but that was not my dream. I was yearning for something else: Money. Lots of Money. So I ended up in the dark, muddy backstreets of Granoleon where the similarly infamous pubs were located. These pubs housed all types of stereotypes of bad seed who you wouldn’t see in the clean, civilized streets of Oleon, which was famous for its traditions, advanced culture and divinity. Consequently, it wasn’t long before I got toxicated by the virtues of the vicinity: Theft, murder, adultery…and they far exceeded number 7. In a few years’ time, I was living my dream. Of course, with the little discomfort law makers had to offer to the likes of me. I was caught red handed twice and sentenced in the cold vaults of Granoleon but I was so talented to be imprisoned in the ordinary fashion.

Tasting the humid of the vaults had taught me one thing, though. That I was dancing on the knife’s edge. I had to find a way to erase my past as a crook. So I withdrew to Corrington to spend some time off Granoleon but a crook is a crook wherever he goes and I returned to my beloved Granoleon. Changing location didn’t help but changing identity could. It wasn’t an age of communication or information and money could buy you one. But it entailed another obstacle. I had to leave Oleon because my history would sooner or later reveal the real me.

Desperate to find a solution, I lingered on. Until I heard about the news of the recently discovered lands to the East, which meant that Oleon needed men to put into the Blue Coats. I had an epiphany the moment one of my crook friends mocked about it. If I could enroll as a false persona, I could leave my past behind and could visit Granoleon every once in a while. Better than nothing, I thought. I was now a defender of justice and order, and of course of His Majesty! What a world, I thought to myself, as I headed to the Bluecoats’ headquarter where I would receive proper training.  

Two months later, we were summoned to serve in our first mission to the East and I found myself in the swinging lazaret of one of the warships owned by His Majesty King Philip I. Born as the son of a poor peasant in the inner land, I had no idea about the cliche of voyages: Mal de Mer, or nausea as we ordinary folks called it. I must have spent two weeks lying sick on my hammock. We headed to the East and I was clearly not used to this type of climate. So my time in the lazaret extended.

One night, I was chatting with the guys lying comfortably on my hammock when I heard the ground beneath my feet break. The ground, no, it was the deck that tore like a sandwich. It was a stormy night but we had seen worse days aboard. That’s why nobody worried about it. There must have been something else. But neither I nor other guys would ever have the opportunity to satisfy our curiosities. My mind blew when I felt the cold, dark water surrounding me. The only light was that of the exploding gunpowder. And it was a bad guide to follow. I barely made it onto a boat which seemed to come out of nowhere.

I spent two days on the Terraversa Sea without the faintest idea about how to survive. I was thinking over and over again about how misfortunate a Bluecoat could ever get on his maiden voyage. At the end of the second day, I was thirsty to death but there came rain. Could it be an omen of good fortune? I had sank into such philosophical thoughts on my boat when I noticed an island on the horizon. Yes, the answer to my question arrived spontaneously. It was good fortune for sure. The rain, the island… But there came the storm again, swinging my small boat like a nutshell until it crashed onto the rocks off the island.  

Luckily, I was able to jump off the boat before it hit the rocks but the current was so strong to resist that I let myself go with the flow. And it brought me to the next ill-fated phase of my story, by the end of which all my life would change for good. It was obvious that I had stranded on the wrong beach…     

29933724866_be9e712e9f_z.jpg02 by Mengish, on Flickr

29884606251_3aa6f5a562_z.jpg06 by Mengish, on Flickr

29340403504_dbc387381f_z.jpg03 by Mengish, on Flickr

29933703686_bfbafbe51f_z.jpg08 by Mengish, on Flickr

29674158510_fcc0ccce00_z.jpg09 by Mengish, on Flickr

29853797702_4273591e7e_z.jpg05 by Mengish, on Flickr

29674164440_b4715f0624_z.jpg07 by Mengish, on Flickr

29674171020_994df3ac58_z.jpg04 by Mengish, on Flickr

29674156030_1fce2c63be_z.jpg10 by Mengish, on Flickr

29856370382_f3f154751e_z.jpg01 by Mengish, on Flickr

Edited by Mengish

Welcome aboard Mengish! I really like how you built the wave.

You may want to introduce yourself in the stickied Sea Rat thread so you can be properly initiated. :pir-devil:

Very nice MOC overall, great job on the minifig posing and props for your huge effort for taking all the photos and scenes to tell your story (cool idea, by the way).

The water and wave technique is quite innovative, I like that a lot. Great job, very good start!

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

Welcome aboard Mengish! I really like how you built the wave.

You may want to introduce yourself in the stickied Sea Rat thread so you can be properly initiated. :pir-devil:

Thanks for the notice, Kwatchi! I have introduced myself there.  

42 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

Very nice MOC overall, great job on the minifig posing and props for your huge effort for taking all the photos and scenes to tell your story (cool idea, by the way).

The water and wave technique is quite innovative, I like that a lot. Great job, very good start!

Thank you for the comment! Yes, it's a pain in the back to design the MOC, take photos and then clean the background. And yes, finally srite a story. But it's all worth the pain :-)  

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you may wish to read the background of the Brick Seas.  They aren't exactly historical.

Your build, however, looks great.  And welcome to the Sea Rats.

Edited by kaiju

Good story, and I love the rockwork and detail of the beach. Cool wave technique, too.

But what is this London you speak of? I think you mean Bellson, the capital of Corrington. :wink:

Welcome to the Brick Seas!

Lovely build, Mengish. I love all the different things going on, and the way you captured it by different angles and close-ups, and your rockwork is good too, as is the general landscaping.

I like the story too - obviously, you have put a lot of work into it - but as others have said, you have got some names wrong. :wink: Judging from the blue coat, you are obviously enlisting in the forces of Oleon, which means the capital you are referring to surely must be Granoleon. :wink:

The strange place called Ireland might be an old name for Carno, Garvey or perhaps Pontilla?

Welcome to BoBS! I hope those links were helpful :pir-grin:

20 hours ago, kaiju said:

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you may wish to read the background of the Brick Seas.  They aren't exactly historical.

Your build, however, looks great.  And welcome to the Sea Rats.

No, it is not harsh in any way. Thanks for the warning! And for all the nice words you have spared. 

2 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Good story, and I love the rockwork and detail of the beach. Cool wave technique, too.

But what is this London you speak of? I think you mean Bellson, the capital of Corrington. :wink:

Welcome to the Brick Seas!

Thanks Captain!

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Lovely build, Mengish. I love all the different things going on, and the way you captured it by different angles and close-ups, and your rockwork is good too, as is the general landscaping.

I like the story too - obviously, you have put a lot of work into it - but as others have said, you have got some names wrong. :wink: Judging from the blue coat, you are obviously enlisting in the forces of Oleon, which means the capital you are referring to surely must be Granoleon. :wink:

The strange place called Ireland might be an old name for Carno, Garvey or perhaps Pontilla?

Welcome to BoBS! I hope those links were helpful :pir-grin:

Yes, they have been very helpful. And I have modified my story to fit into BoBS. I guess, now it is ok and fits into the context. 

Thank you all for the warnings!!!

Great! Now adjusted, this is one of the best introes we have seen in quite some time! Will be looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

43 minutes ago, Mengish said:

<snip>And I have modified my story to fit into BoBS. I guess, now it is ok and fits into the context. 

Very good! Now you're fully a citizen of the Brick Seas!

Very nice intro and an interesting story to unfold here! I, too, had my reservations about your use of real-life names but now it definitely merges better with the BoBS universe! Happy building and happy narrations!

13 hours ago, Brykster said:

It's a well-done style, and you kept to it.

13 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Very nice intro and an interesting story to unfold here! I, too had my reservations about your using real-life names but now it definitely merges better with the BoBS universe! Happy building and happy narrations!

Thanks guys!!!