Sign in to follow this  
Dannylonglegs

[OL-FB1] The Tides have Changed

29057574265_fb3cf5c405_z.jpgThe Tides have Changed by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

The uniform fit loosely in certain places. The shoulders sagged softly, unsupported. But Avery hadn't expected tailored attire like the elaborate clothes and fine linen the family was accustomed to. That stage of Avery's life was over--for now.

Avery had less muscle tone than the usual boy of his age, and looked far younger too. His big eyes and soft cheeks were yet unhardened by life. No salt clung to his wavy caramel hair. Though it had recently been hand-cut, his bangs fell unceremoniously over his eyes. He brushed them aside as he stepped through the "Portail de la Victoire"

La Portail de la victoire was a decorative arch marking the entrance to the docks from the fortifications. The gateway served as a reminder of Oleon's supremacy on the waves, and their countless victoies at sea, as they sought to tame these new and wild lands in the name of their gods. That's what the statue meant to most residents of Breshaun, but to Avery, the gate held a different meaning. As he stepped through it now, in his new uniform, his pack in hand, thee gate was the threshold between his old life, and the new.

Not more than a year ago, the "De la Jambe-Longue" name would immediately be recognized in any high society event as the name of one of the most famous artists in the king's court. Daniel de la Jambe-Longue had made quite the positive impression on the late King Stephan II, who commissioned from him many a portrait and religious painting. And Daniel was skilled... but proud. His cleverness served to be his undoing, when he slipped symbolism into what he assumed would be his magnum opus, which conflated a clerical rival of his with the tyrannical Titans who came before the gods. They say that pride comes before the fall.

Now Avery stood under the gate, between the bustling docks of Breshaun, and the neat and orderly sea-side fortifications. Between the streets that held Avery's old part-time residence, the de la Jambe-Longue family's Breshaun townhouse, and the cobbled road that held his new residence, a wooden bunk and some dirty tanned cloth in a brick and stone fort.... That is... until the HMS Titan-Slayer was returned to working condition.

Avery was not to be a land-based soldier. He'd enlisted in the navy, and would be a member of the crew aboard the famous pirate-hunting vessel known as "The Titan-Slayer." But the ship was still under repairs after a run-in with its primary quarry, the infamous pirate lord "Reynard LeRoublard." The New Oleander pirate had made a name for himself terrorizing the seas of the Old World, and headed east to be a founding member of the Sea-Rats, but then abandoned them on Bastion and returned to the west. Unbeknownst to many, but suspected by Avery, upon the Pirate Lord's ship, "the Titan's Tithe" was none-other than the escaped Daniel de la Jambe-Longue. Avery was determined to rescue him. Only by confronting the Order could the de La Jambe Longue family restore their once grand name... and truthfully, he feared for his safety and well-being. Daniel was family, and family was everything.

28980789471_8155c86424_z.jpgThe Tides have Changed by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

So Avery stood there, below the stone of the arch, contemplating his future. He turned. He walked up the winding path to the fort. Fates change as often as a woman changes clothes, Avery mused.

~~~~~~

So, this is my first Freebuild and Introductory build. Gotta get that 25 DP! :grin:I won't licence it, as that feels like a waste to me, but I might later on if I'm feeling flush. It'd be a Small Art and Culture property if I did. I know this comes into play for determining analogous unlicensed properties in Breshaun's total Trade value, so I'll leave this here as well as on the Breshaun Settlement page.

Forgot about my "First Free Licence" so It's now licensed. :sweet:

I've finally joined! :grin:

Comments and Critiques are more than welcome. I don't often build historical structures. I've always been more of a sci-fi fan, so any recommendations are more than appreciated.

Bonus pic of the Titan-Slayer's Captain, Etienne du Coeurgris standing below the arch. Unlike Avery, he is far more decisive about his direction, for his is the way of the gods, and the way of the law, and the way of light.

28439612013_69a6c07157_z.jpgThe Tides have Changed by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

~Oleander Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

I like the story you're weaving for your character. Great writing! And the build is just as good! I really like the variety of pieces you have used to create the detail. An excellent free build, and I would encourage you to license it.

That base is so awesome! I Love All the Great part usages! At first, I was planning To only commend on that, but when I saw the second image, I knew I'd need to give you my compliments for that as well

I like the story you're weaving for your character. Great writing! And the build is just as good! I really like the variety of pieces you have used to create the detail. An excellent free build, and I would encourage you to license it.

Thank you! I've got so many story plans that this might turn into a tele-novella if I'm not careful. pir_laugh2.gif Glad you like my writing. pirate_blush.gif Hopefully I'll get to build more reliefs like this one on actual structures. pirate_laugh2.gif Licenced. Thanks for the tip. I've been re-reading up now on the licencing process.

That base is so awesome! I Love All the Great part usages! At first, I was planning To only commend on that, but when I saw the second image, I knew I'd need to give you my compliments for that as well

Thanks! I love Baroque architecture and decoration, which was a large part of my desire to join Oleon in the first place. The grandeur of it all is what I especially love. Hopefully I can help turn Breshaun into a grandesque city with structures featuring reliefs like those I placed on the vignette's border. :classic: Glad you like the arch as well. It's a bit more muted, I'll admit, but it serves its purpose. :classic:

Great arch ! I like all the clever piece usage !

Glad to see you build in BoBS again !

Great job !

Thanks! :grin: Glad to be back.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Welcome again DLL! A nice MOC and above all, a beautiful (2nd) picture! And dont worry, we will find your relative. We.have.connections!!! pirate_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

A very beautiful base - the older 'used' white pieces give it an old and worn feel that fits quite well with the story - great job!

As I said elsewhere, very much welcome (again) to BoBS! This build is very nice, as is the story. The arch looks very majestic and there is some very nice parts usage.

A small correction, though. You get the first 25 just for signing up with your sig fig. But as you have made a build, you can register that as a freebuild for another 10 dbs! pirate_wink.gif

Welcome aboard! The story was well written, and I'm excited to see how Avery's saga proceeds from here. As for the build, it is nice as well. Clever parts usage around the base, and the arch has a heroic and majestic feeling to it.

Welcome to the BOBS Danny! Sorry that t has took me so long to even welcome you, as I have been busy whit preparing my leve from Granoleon and to sail to the New world! I have been too busy looking for a suitable residence to my self where to settle in and finding a ship to transfer me isnt going smoothly either.

But we shall put that aside from now. Excellent introduction and a great looking arch! Im looking forward to your adventures!

Yours truly:

Captain Charles J. Becker