Sign in to follow this  
Sir Gareth

Pokémon Go

I read in the local news this morning that some lady found a dead body whilst trying to catch a water Pokémon. :wacko:

I correct myself. According to the Washington Post it was a Posion Gas type pokemon the guy caught at the Holocaust Museum...I am absolutely done lol that is just awful

My point stands.

Five days in, and I'm already losing interest. It's literally the same three Pokémon everywhere :hmpf_bad:

gas station (petrol for you euro hunters) have fire type near them,

electrical substations and power plants have elect type near them

fields are normal/bug/misc.

city centers may have rock type

cemetery may have ghost/psychic

lakes/rivers have water.

you just need to go out and visit these places and spend some time at each spot. also hatch those eggs some may only be found by hatching them. (like the fossil based ones from the GB games)

To make people exercise, you can write an app that makes someone walk x number of miles before the phone unlocks but keep emergency call available.

But where is the fun in that? Why would anyone, especially kids, want such an app? Pokemon Go doesn't force excercise, but it does encourage travel with a major emphasis on walking.

I had this app for two days. Didn't hold my interest. Even with the battery saver mode on I lost about a 60% charge in a half hour. Also have used up about 1/4 of my data plan apparently from playing this game.

Guys, this game is awful, it will promote things like housebreaking if you see a pokemon in someone's back garden, or what if the pokeom was on a train line, or a motorway, or you were on the motorway playing it chasing some pokemon up the road, not paying attention to the traffic. See what I mean?

Why don't you get some real friends and play a real game in the park instead of running around looking at you phone?

Columbus

Guys, this game is awful, it will promote things like housebreaking if you see a pokemon in someone's back garden, or what if the pokeom was on a train line, or a motorway, or you were on the motorway playing it chasing some pokemon up the road, not paying attention to the traffic. See what I mean?

I'm sure the game developers are hoping that players will use the tiniest bit of common sense and not do anything dangerous or illegal. :hmpf:

Guys, this game is awful, it will promote things like housebreaking if you see a pokemon in someone's back garden,

Yeah... I saw it in my local news. A woman found a guy inside her house because he was trying to catch a Pinsir or a Drowzee (I don't remember)

But then again, there is nothing wrong with the game. This is about how you use it.

Edited by Robert8

Why don't you get some real friends and play a real game in the park instead of running around looking at you phone?

Columbus

It seems very apparent that you have not played the game or seen any footage of someone playing it. Why are you decrying something you know so little about?

1) There is no reason to housebreak. I previously said the radius of your "capture distance" circle was about 30 feet, looking at it now it seems more like fifty. From the inside of my house I can capture Pokemon in my neighbors houses, same as from the road. Unless someone lives in a massiv mansion, or has a huge front/back yard, there's no need to be on their property.

2) The same goes for the train line. Also, you don't have to stand still on the Pokemons exact location. Even if you had to go into train tracks, five seconds there wouldn't kill you.

3) No different than texting and driving. Only an idiot would do it, the app even says to pay attention to your surroundings. The app also encourages walking, not driving, as you can only hatch eggs by going X kilometers at speeds under about 15 miles per hour.

4) Sorry, but this is a "real" game, plenty of people can enjoy walking and talking with friends, finding Pokemon with each other as they go.

It does seem like a great idea. It doesn't promote any of the stupid things that people have been doing, that's just stupid people without common sense, unfortunately there are too many of those people.

It seems very apparent that you have not played the game or seen any footage of someone playing it. Why are you decrying something you know so little about?

1) There is no reason to housebreak. I previously said the radius of your "capture distance" circle was about 30 feet, looking at it now it seems more like fifty. From the inside of my house I can capture Pokemon in my neighbors houses, same as from the road. Unless someone lives in a massiv mansion, or has a huge front/back yard, there's no need to be on their property.

2) The same goes for the train line. Also, you don't have to stand still on the Pokemons exact location. Even if you had to go into train tracks, five seconds there wouldn't kill you.

3) No different than texting and driving. Only an idiot would do it, the app even says to pay attention to your surroundings. The app also encourages walking, not driving, as you can only hatch eggs by going X kilometers at speeds under about 15 miles per hour.

4) Sorry, but this is a "real" game, plenty of people can enjoy walking and talking with friends, finding Pokemon with each other as they go.

I'm sorry, I really shouldn't have ranted so much about it, I was pointing out the bad parts, I agree that if used with common sense, this game is fine.

Columbus

Edited by Columbus019

Cool your jets Columbus. Similar words can be thrown at any hobby you care to name. Some people like hiding a character in a dark corner and sniping across a battle field, others like to crush them some candy or fling birds at pigs. Games is games and we can all have fun.

On a more related note:

If you don't get the hype, you are too old/young for when the initial hype hit back in the mid-90s. I was 10 when I noticed Pokemon existed as a game/card/cartoon thing and my friends and I though it was the coolest thing ever and it would be awesome if it was real? Now it is sort of slightly real and it is super cool for us lot to go and play for a while.

I can't get it on my phone though. :hmpf_bad: (Windows phone seemed so cool once).

On the plus side, I can get my brother to run errands as he wants to leave the house more now he has it on his phone.

My best mates brother lives up in Utah. He's a plumber, but when he's off duty, he acts as what I call a "Pokemon Taxi Driver"

Basically people pay him to drive them around so they can catch Pokémon. Now THAT'S a buisness

I just saw something crazy

A Vaporeon appeared at Central Park in New York City and everyone went crazy about it

Here is a video of the human stampede

What in the world would happen if Ho-Oh shows up? :look:

---

Also, apparently, ghost type pokemon can be found on graveyards

Edited by Robert8

Columbus

This really isn't how the game works. You don't have to be right on top of the things to catch them. The range is large enough that you can capture most things from the street. And the game even states nothing will ever be in a private place like houses or places of business.

How is staring at your phone for Pokemon any different than staring at it while texting, checking facebook, checking fantasy football scores, etc.?

Exactly. I saw WAY more parents out interacting with their kids playing this game this weekend than I ever have. All sorts of people out and about having fun.

^Robert8 already posted that human stampede video 3 posts before yours. :wink:

Pokemon Going into a police car is probably a bad idea:

guys, I'm guessing no offense is intended to those of us playing this game responsibly, but this thread has been almost entirely bash/defend. which I'm kind of growing tired of and frankly surprised that it is happening at all on a site devoted to a toy being used by adults. and by no means am I defending driving while using a phone in any manor, or the stampede in NY, and any of the other various stories I've been hearing.

so I'm asking, can we stop posting news stories or videos of idiots playing this game? and focus instead on gameplay experiences, promoting getting out and walking, and sharing our achievements while playing? that's what I come to this thread and frankly this site to do, share the positive experiences and find like minded people, who enjoy the things I enjoy.

Thanks,

Edited by GallardoLU

guys, I'm guessing no offense is intended to those of us playing this game responsibly, but this thread has been almost entirely bash/defend. which I'm kind of growing tired of and frankly surprised that it is happening at all on a site devoted to a toy being used by adults. and by no means am I defending driving while using a phone in any manor, or the stampede in NY, and any of the other various stories I've been hearing.

so I'm asking, can we stop posting news stories or videos of idiots playing this game? and focus instead on gameplay experiences, promoting getting out and walking, and sharing our achievements while playing? that's what I come to this thread and frankly this site to do, share the positive experiences and find like minded people, who enjoy the things I enjoy.

Thanks,

I apologize for my rude behavior.

This has nothing to do with Lego and should be closed.

Neither does any of the culture and multimedia section!

Columbus

Edited by Columbus019

I never played any Pokemon when it first came out back in the 90s as I think I was just too old for it. Then I heard about Pokemon Go and how awesome it was/is. I started actively playing this past weekend and find that its pretty fun, especially if you're just going out for a walk anyway. So, far I've mostly stayed in park areas and have gathered the usual commons. I have two evolved Pokemon, as I've read that evolving is more important than powering.

The only drawback so far is just the server downtime. This weekend was pretty bad and yesterday had a drop for some of the afternoon.

My favorite so far is Paras because he looks funny.

This has nothing to do with Lego and should be closed.

......Is this a joke? Do you even know why the culture and multimedia forum exists?

I'm sure the game developers are hoping that players will use the tiniest bit of common sense and not do anything dangerous or illegal. :hmpf:

I'm sure of that as well, but didn't two people fall off of a cliff while playing the game last week?