VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

ah.. excellent

I don't think that's the case. I don't think it is any different from the Beasts' masks, therefore it shouldn't interfere with the jaw snapping function.

I started out with Storm Beast as my least favorite and Quake Beast as my favorite based on the leaks. Now Lava Beast is my favorite and Quake Beast as my least favorite. Once I have them in hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Storm Beast will actually become my favorite because of that cool function. The claws look nice too. Lava Beast is still the best looking of the 3 and I really like his Wyvern/Balrog-like appearance. Quake Beast is just very messy and his function is kinda lousy. The color scheme has a couple issues too. The only solid purple piece is his mask and the pink crystals on the torso look like they belong in an Elves set. If they were purple, they'd look great and actually fit the color scheme while making the crystal add-ons more uniform in appearance.

I suppose we will see

YES

Any guesses on who 'Mask Hunter' is supposed to be? I wanna say Makuta, but it's probably a LoSS-like being.

you were right

The 2015 LEGO report came out and BIONICLE wasn't mentioned anywhere, kek

Not really too surprising. It wasn't a "big bang" property like Elves or a whole new product category like Dimensions, and I don't think any of us expected it to outsell the likes of Ninjago, Friends, or City. The Annual Reports generally focus on those kinds of highlights.

Not really too surprising. It wasn't a "big bang" property like Elves or a whole new product category like Dimensions, and I don't think any of us expected it to outsell the likes of Ninjago, Friends, or City. The Annual Reports generally focus on those kinds of highlights.

Do you think that if they kept bionicle running instead of ending it in 2010, the theme would sell better?

Do you think that if they kept bionicle running instead of ending it in 2010, the theme would sell better?

No, I do not. Frankly, if they'd kept it running back then, I'm not too confident that it would even still be around today.

and I don't think any of us expected it to outsell the likes of Ninjago, Friends, or City.

The hopes were pretty high in january 2015.

clearly this means bonkles is over and constraction as we know it will cease to exist

"Look, darling, hasn't this gone a little too far?"

"It certainly has."

-Legion of Doom, The Quiet Screaming

I hope not. But if bonkle dies, there is always star wars, marvel and dc. Constraction will live on somehow and will have it's place in today's rapidly changing action figures scene.

Edited by santaends

The hopes were pretty high in january 2015.

Whose hopes? Obviously I had high hopes for Bionicle, but expecting it to displace themes like City, Ninjago, and Friends in one year was nowhere on my mind. If anyone expected that then I imagine they were not aware of just how massively successful those themes are. City in particular has been the best selling non-licensed theme for years now.

It wasn't a "big bang" property like Elves or a whole new product category like Dimensions, and I don't think any of us expected it to outsell the likes of Ninjago, Friends, or City.

True, and Constaction is still a niche, but I don't quite buy that BIONICLE wouldn't merit a mention, were it a hit. Gen1's profitability is certainly the reason for the theme's revival. There's a reason LEGO didn't follow up Hero Factory with another original theme. Surely if BIONICLE was successful enough to merit a relaunch, success on the part of its current iteration would merit a mention in the 2015 report? Heck, it states that "the new fantasy theme LEGO Elves is off to a good start" despite that not being one of the top 5.

That said, I'm not suggesting that Gen2 has been a failure, simply that it seems to have been less successful than LEGO hoped.

EDIT: I found this in the 2010 report, for what it's worth:

LEGO City and LEGO Star Wars were also in 2010 the two best

selling product lines of the LEGO Group.

Other classic lines such as LEGO DUPLO, LEGO Bricks’n’more,

LEGO Creator and LEGO Technic are also showing high

growth rates. Likewise, quite new product lines such as Atlantis

and Hero Factory are contributing to growth.

LEGO certainly didn't think so. Yes, BIONICLE could have made a spectacular turnaround, but that doesn't seem to have been likely. I get the impression that franchise fatigue was setting in, a probable result of the theme's longevity.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

True, and Constaction is still a niche, but I don't quite buy that BIONICLE wouldn't merit a mention, were it a hit. Gen1's profitability is certainly the reason for the theme's revival. There's a reason LEGO didn't follow up Hero Factory with another original theme. Surely if BIONICLE was successful enough to merit a relaunch, success on the part of its current iteration would merit a mention in the 2015 report? Heck, it states that "the new fantasy theme LEGO Elves is off to a good start" despite that not being one of the top 5.

Jurassic World was a new theme and (from what I've heard) a much bigger hit than it had any right to be, and yet it didn't get a mention. Neither did Speed Champions, for that matter.

As I said, LEGO Elves was a "big bang" property, albeit not as big of one as Ninjago or Nexo Knights. Not to mention that it's a part of their increasingly successful girls' category. Until recently LEGO struggled to even reach that demographic, so continued growth in that area is a big deal for them. Of course they're going to want to brag about it.

I have no idea what the current state of Bionicle is. Nor do I know what the LEGO Group's specific expectations of it in 2015 were. But I don't necessarily think that it's the sort of theme that LEGO would make a point to mention in the 2015 Annual Report unless it exceeded their expectations.

Jurassic World was a new theme and (from what I've heard) a much bigger hit than it had any right to be, and yet it didn't get a mention. Neither did Speed Champions, for that matter.

The first one is a one-off, though, which makes it less relevant in the grand scheme of things. The second, well, that rather depends on how well it's done.

As I said, LEGO Elves was a "big bang" property, albeit not as big of one as Ninjago or Nexo Knights

Surely that makes BIONICLE, with its animations and its novels and its graphic novels, a big bang property as well?

Not to mention that it's a part of their increasingly successful girls' category. Until recently LEGO struggled to even reach that demographic, so continued growth in that area is a big deal for them. Of course they're going to want to brag about it.

Indeed. But surely a success in constraction, which hasn't had multiple, concurrent, original themes since 2000, is similarly worth noting? Obviously, constraction has never struggled the way that girl-oriented themes have, but Friends debuted four years ago. At this point, the mini-doll system seems to me to be every bit as ingrained, if not more so, than constraction was in 2003.

I have no idea what the current state of Bionicle is. Nor do I know what the LEGO Group's specific expectations of it in 2015 were. But I don't necessarily think that it's the sort of theme that LEGO would make a point to mention in the 2015 Annual Report unless it exceeded their expectations.

This may be so, but where's your proof? The report doesn't mention this as a criteria.

Surely that makes BIONICLE, with its animations and its novels and its graphic novels, a big bang property as well?

I have yet to see it described as such in any official capacity. Not every multimedia theme is a "big bang", and to my knowledge LEGO has never had more than one new line they've considered a "big bang" per year (it used to be even less frequent).

The exact definition of "big bang" is a bit elusive. According to Brick by Brick pages 263–264, "The moniker refers to a homegrown LEGO theme that's built around an arresting story, one that shows a high potential for creating a worldwide sensation and generating lucrative revenue streams from the Web, television, and spin-off products, just as Bionicle had done for the better part of a decade. A Big Bang is also a big bet. LEGO launches a big bang about every other year, and when it does, nearly every unit within the company, from manufacturing to logistics, marketing, IT, and beyond, goes all out to get behind the line and deliver a hit. If the Big Bang is a big bust, à la LEGO Universe, it lets much of the air out of the company's earnings."

Nabii also gives a bit of insight into which themes are considered "big bang" themes over here.

This may be so, but where's your proof? The report doesn't mention this as a criteria.

When did I ever say or imply that I had proof? None of us have proof of why Bionicle wasn't mentioned or whether it should have been. None of us know the LEGO Group's criteria for what themes they mention in their reports. We're all just making guesses and sharing suspicions.

I have yet to see it described as such in any official capacity. Not every multimedia theme is a "big bang", and to my knowledge LEGO has never had more than one new line they've considered a "big bang" per year (it used to be even less frequent).

The exact definition of "big bang" is a bit elusive. According to Brick by Brick pages 263–264, "The moniker refers to a homegrown LEGO theme that's built around an arresting story, one that shows a high potential for creating a worldwide sensation and generating lucrative revenue streams from the Web, television, and spin-off products, just as Bionicle had done for the better part of a decade. A Big Bang is also a big bet. LEGO launches a big bang about every other year, and when it does, nearly every unit within the company, from manufacturing to logistics, marketing, IT, and beyond, goes all out to get behind the line and deliver a hit. If the Big Bang is a big bust, à la LEGO Universe, it lets much of the air out of the company's earnings."

Nabii also gives a bit of insight into which themes are considered "big bang" themes over here.

Interesting. I suppose that could disqualify Gen2, though by the same token, it would also seem to disqualify Elves (unless I'm missing something.) Has Elves been officially described as a big bang theme?

When did I ever say or imply that I had proof? None of us have proof of why Bionicle wasn't mentioned or whether it should have been. None of us know the LEGO Group's criteria for what themes they mention in their reports. We're all just making guesses and sharing suspicions.

Fair enough. Sorry about that.

Interesting. I suppose that could disqualify Gen2, though by the same token, it would also seem to disqualify Elves (unless I'm missing something.) Has Elves been officially described as a big bang theme?

Elves has in fact been described as a Big Bang theme. Specifically, the first Lego Elves chapter book was labeled as such on sites like Amazon last year before a finalized title was listed. Similar things happened this year with Nexo Knights books.

As for Bionicle, I think I recall designer Christian Minick Vonsild mentioning it not being considered a Big Bang theme in conversation either on the Lego Inside Tour or when he visited BrickFair New Jersey last year. But I don't have any sort of record of those conversations and as such can't confirm whether or not that was actually the case.

Edited by Lyichir

If they color theme for 2015 was blue, and 2016 is green, then what do you think the color for 2017 will be? I'm guessing either purple or red.

Just2Good's posted a new video with final summer images! doOWIXJ.png

Edited by CM4Sci

Elves has in fact been described as a Big Bang theme. Specifically, the first Lego Elves chapter book was labeled as such on sites like Amazon last year before a finalized title was listed. Similar things happened this year with Nexo Knights books.

As for Bionicle, I think I recall designer Christian Minick Vonsild mentioning it not being considered a Big Bang theme in conversation either on the Lego Inside Tour or when he visited BrickFair New Jersey last year. But I don't have any sort of record of those conversations and as such can't confirm whether or not that was actually the case.

Thanks! That it is interesting. Did he say anything about the stature and status of constraction as a whole?

Thanks! That it is interesting. Did he say anything about the stature and status of constraction as a whole?

Again, I can't even recall specifically if that's where I'd heard that Bionicle is not being considered a big bang theme. And apart from that (and stuff that's common knowledge now, like the debut of the Star Wars constraction sets, the various gold mask contests, and the debut of Journey to One), I don't remember him saying anything specific about "stature or status". Keep in mind that he's not really allowed to elaborate on future plans for the theme, and that being a designer he probably wouldn't have very much specific information about sales or media plans anyway.

As far as the status of constraction as a whole is concerned, though, you might take interest in

with Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, the CEO of Lego. When he's asked about what sorts of improvements new fans/AFOLs might be able to expect in the future, one of his first examples of things they might want to improve and change is "the future of the Character and Creature Building System used in Star Wars." To me, that seems to imply that constraction in general is definitely a big priority for Lego going forward!

Constraction will live on somehow

Probably in Star Wars

I guess the story is becoming darker. Dark clouds with thunder. Green slime everywhere. It feels apocalyptic.

? xD

Maybe Lego is setting the stage for next year when Makuta comes back with full force.

Hope his set is good, though we've seen all the pieces they've introduced in two years and not sure many of them would work with a G2 Makuta set. Concerned that it wont have much going for it (other than the fabled black Skeletal rib piece that many have wanted since the introduction of the piece)

Conspiracy theories: Since the main feature of the beasts is the jaw, and the shadow traps also have the biting function, what if:

The beasts are the shadow traps mutated by the green slime?

But we only have three beasts? Or three types if you view them as basic examples of a hoard.

I may be incorrect about this, however i dont think Lego intended the shadow traps to be viewed as shadow traps, instead just extra mouths or grabbing pieces of the beasts.

Sadly most people here are blinded by nostalgia to see that the G2 sets are so much better.

Nostalgia can work both ways. You can be blinded by what you have currently simply because you have it now.

- If people prefer G1, thats fine

- If people prefer G2, thats fine

- If people dont prefer one over the other, thats fine.

Not sure why this sort of disconnect between fans even exists other than those trying to dismiss people by lumping them in with one crowd or the other.

If they color theme for 2015 was blue, and 2016 is green, then what do you think the color for 2017 will be? I'm guessing either purple or red.

Very likely red.

Actually, make that orange. Tr. Neon Orange. It goes with the colors of the last two years correlating with Tr. Light Blue and Tr. Neon Green with the Masks of Creation and Control, and I would bet that the Mask of Ultimate Power features the color scheme that is so commonly associated with evil.

Actually, make that orange. Tr. Neon Orange. It goes with the colors of the last two years correlating with Tr. Light Blue and Tr. Neon Green with the Masks of Creation and Control, and I would bet that the Mask of Ultimate Power features the color scheme that is so commonly associated with evil.

Hm... it's possible. But then, would that mean that the summer villains that year would use trans-neon orange as a unifying color again? Or would they use a different color, like trans-purple?

maybe this time LEGO will give us transparent yellow =v

Or how about some actual trans red... The trans orange is nice and all but I'm sick of it. The trans red looked so good and I would love to see it used in constraction again.

Or how about some actual trans red... The trans orange is nice and all but I'm sick of it. The trans red looked so good and I would love to see it used in constraction again.

Again? When was it used before? Sorry, I can't remember.

But I agree. Trans red would be most welcome.