Sign in to follow this  
JDL1967

Staff DON'T take for granted that everyone is an English native sp

From a staff member i was told that my spelling and grammer could be better. Well first this not only for me but for everyone ho can identify with this;

1. I am born in the Netherlands and never had English on school but i learn it a little bit from the tv and the movies.

2. I am not lazy to do my best, but i am just not very good in it

3. Iff a staffmember has a problem with my English, no problem to tell me, but then throu a PM and not in a topic for anyone to read.

4. I am sure that i am not the onlyone EB member ho dosent no the English languige very good. That DONT make me a lazy person ho dont try his best.

EB is a site with members wolrdwide, so not everyone no the English languige very good. I like to see a staffmember ho has never had learnd any Dutch, to read and right it only from watching Dutch tv and movies. And then i would like to see how they are dowing it in Dutch.

So PANDORA FRIENDS MODERATOR please dont speak about lazyniss, if you are not sure if someone is trying hard..!!!

Edited by JDL1967

Here is a question... are you interested in corrections as a method of learning English?

But yes, accusations of laziness are rude.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Offcors are corrections allways good. I dont have any problem with that. Its just the it was told to me. In a topic and it looked like i am doing it because i must be lazy.. Thats not the way to tell it to someone. Again in a normal way i DONT have no problem what so ever with it..

Speaking English well and practicing good manners, do not come naturally to everyone.

So how should someone offer a correction?

Edited by gotoAndLego

I think the best way is in a pm, and then explain the wrong words.

That way that member ( me includid ) no whats not good, and better yet

there's allways something you can look back to spelling or grammer wise.

English is a very lazy language in some respects. American English can be even more lazy.

But I am not going to try to explain why, because I am not a linguist.

There are also an increasing number of people who have problems with any kind of reading and writing.

Those with dyslexia for example.

If the general meaning of a post can be followed, we should not be too critical of other people's spelling and grammar.

If advice might be helpful, then there should be nothing wrong with a private message to the person who posted.

In this case a private message to JDL 1967 would have been more helpful.

So I will offer further advice by PM. :thumbup:

I moved this forum to the right place.

Also, the post Pandora was referring to was quite badly written. We understand, which she clearly and politely explained as well, that not all our members are capable of writing in good English. However, we do expect it to be as good as possible. In your case for example, quite a few grammar mistakes are to be corrected by your browser's spelling correction. It also helps to read over your post before posting it. This is what we do expect from our members and is what you agreed upon when signing up.

And as for not saying this to you by using a pm. Other members can be bothered by bad grammar as well, so to avoid them hitting the report button they can see a moderator is already on it.

No one called you lazy (see Pandora's post). If you look around the board, we comment on members' posting behaviour in public a lot. We do this to make our expectations of members clear for everyone. I understand that posting in a foreign language is not always easy, in particular when it comes to grammar. Getting the spelling of words right should be doable though. There are plenty of online translators (like Google Translate) you can use. Posting might take a little longer at first, but as you learn the spelling of more words, your posting speed should improve.

I try to learn every time when I read something here on EB. And I dont have a problem with corrections from EB members. I will have a problem with the members who do it in a bad way. That being said, I try to improve..

Members are not supposed to correct other members, it is why there is a moderation team :thumbup: . As mentioned above, an in-thread request is posted to let members know we have asked about it, to prevent them commenting themselves or reporting the user for bad grammar. It is appreciated that a lot of people do not use English as a first language, a fair percentage of the staff are from countries with their own language.

I know I have caught a lot of members who should know better as they have English as a first language and asked them to work on this for the benefit of those who might struggle reading it.

I am very aware of issues people may have with spelling: having struggled with dyslexia all my life. I take extra effort and a browser spell-checker so my posts will be readable to others :laugh:

We are all members to get more information for or about lego. This hobby is what make this site. I can read and speak the language very good. The rithing is not so good. But i am sure that everyone can see what i am talking about. ( see all the reactions in this topic ) so thats why I think that the there was responded on my question by a moderator was the wrong way to do. Maybe the spelling and grammer are not allways right, but I an sure the the members who read what I have written down in untherstandeble for those people. I think that evreything is being said by now.

English's my second language, also, but I managed to pick up the words, their meaning and spelling at once. I'm really curious how that works for you. You know the language well enough to use a phrase like of course, but you spell it offcors - how did that happen? and why not just install a spell checker?

Never had English on school. I just picked it up from the tv and the movies.

We are all members to get more information for or about lego. This hobby is what make this site. I can read and speak the language very good. The rithing is not so good. But i am sure that everyone can see what i am talking about. ( see all the reactions in this topic ) so thats why I think that the there was responded on my question by a moderator was the wrong way to do. Maybe the spelling and grammer are not allways right, but I an sure the the members who read what I have written down in untherstandeble for those people. I think that evreything is being said by now.

We clearly understand that not everyone is perfectly fluent in the English language; many people who have been speaking it for years still do not know how some parts work.

And we, as a moderation team, work to keep the mechanics of EB running the best it can. Sure, some people may not write/type the best, and we understand that. We also keep an eye on members who argue with moderators. If a moderator tells you something, please pay attention to what was said/typed. Do not make a post to try and prove the moderator wrong. Some posts look very clear and concise...while others look as if no one looked over what was typed before they were posted. If there is an issue, it can most likely be discussed in a private conversation. If you do not want to start a private conversation, just lemme know. Thank you!

I think the best way is in a pm, and then explain the wrong words.

That way that member ( me includid ) no whats not good, and better yet

there's allways something you can look back to spelling or grammer wise.

If you think this is the best way, why did you not do so in a PM to Pandora or another staff member?

Hi JDL1967, could you please make sure you pay attention to spelling and grammar when you post, particularly capitalisation. I know you (probably) aren't a native English speaker, and we certainly don't expect posts to be perfect, but I know 'I' is capitalised in Dutch, for instance. Checkout our site guidelines (link right there, or in my sig, or via the tab at the top of the page) for the bottom line. Thank you.

Also, could you please point out to me where she insulted you? This is the only post I could find and it seems rather polite and I don't see her calling you lazy in it. Perhaps I have missed something?

If you think this is the best way, why did you not do so in a PM to Pandora or another staff member?

Also, could you please point out to me where she insulted you? This is the only post I could find and it seems rather polite and I don't see her calling you lazy in it. Perhaps I have missed something?

The origional message whas longer with more text. But i am done with it. The fact that not the whole text is in the topic and the fact that pandore has not had respond on my pm email says it all for me. She or He has talkt about my bad English, but the reason that i had ask my qeustion in the help forum regarding a EB member who have had get free technic and bionicle from me, and dont had payd me the shippingcost. There is no member of the EB staff who send me a PM regarding that. I am just here for my hobby, to build nice moc's and to help other members iff i can. For example to give away for free parts witch i dont have any use for anymore. At the end that had cost me money and a lot of crap regarding my English. One thing is clear to me, bad English is mutch wors here on EB then take another members money, by not paying the shippingcost for the 1,5 KG of free lego he has given to you... Thats why i have make a topic no more free stuff to give away for me.. I am done regarding this, so this can be closed or removed whatever the staff want to do with this topic.

Edited by JDL1967

We are a very busy volunteer staff and we can't read every topic. If there is something you want the staff to pay specific attention to, it is best to PM one of us. We aren't aware of every topic on the site just because we are staff. Even the most active staff have periods where they are not able to participate as much due to real life priorities. Help us out by drawing our attention to specific things through PM. And be patient with us, please. We are doing our best to be patient as well. Thank you.

We are a very busy volunteer staff and we can't read every topic. If there is something you want the staff to pay specific attention to, it is best to PM one of us. We aren't aware of every topic on the site just because we are staff. Even the most active staff have periods where they are not able to participate as much due to real life priorities. Help us out by drawing our attention to specific things through PM. And be patient with us, please. We are doing our best to be patient as well. Thank you.

Respond by PM.

Respond by PM.

I did send you a PM but my message is for every member. We can't pay attention to every topic. Please PM us if you need something. Everybody.

The origional message whas longer with more text. But i am done with it. The fact that not the whole text is in the topic and the fact that pandore has not had respond on my pm email says it all for me. She or He has talkt about my bad English, but the reason that i had ask my qeustion in the help forum regarding a EB member who have had get free technic and bionicle from me, and dont had payd me the shippingcost. There is no member of the EB staff who send me a PM regarding that. I am just here for my hobby, to build nice moc's and to help other members iff i can. For example to give away for free parts witch i dont have any use for anymore. At the end that had cost me money and a lot of crap regarding my English. One thing is clear to me, bad English is mutch wors here on EB then take another members money, by not paying the shippingcost for the 1,5 KG of free lego he has given to you... Thats why i have make a topic no more free stuff to give away for me.. I am done regarding this, so this can be closed or removed whatever the staff want to do with this topic.

Pandora's message wasn't edited.

This is the first time I have been online since before you posted this topic, so I am replying at the earliest opportunity with this post. Thank you for your PM, but your PM doesn't cover the evident gripe you have here, so as a result I will respond here.

From a staff member i was told that my spelling and grammer could be better. Well first this not only for me but for everyone ho can identify with this;

1. I am born in the Netherlands and never had English on school but i learn it a little bit from the tv and the movies.

2. I am not lazy to do my best, but i am just not very good in it

3. Iff a staffmember has a problem with my English, no problem to tell me, but then throu a PM and not in a topic for anyone to read.

4. I am sure that i am not the onlyone EB member ho dosent no the English languige very good. That DONT make me a lazy person ho dont try his best.

EB is a site with members wolrdwide, so not everyone no the English languige very good. I like to see a staffmember ho has never had learnd any Dutch, to read and right it only from watching Dutch tv and movies. And then i would like to see how they are dowing it in Dutch.

So PANDORA FRIENDS MODERATOR please dont speak about lazyniss, if you are not sure if someone is trying hard..!!!

I'm not convinced you completely read what I originally wrote, so here it is again:

Hi JDL1967, could you please make sure you pay attention to spelling and grammar when you post, particularly capitalisation. I know you (probably) aren't a native English speaker, and we certainly don't expect posts to be perfect, but I know 'I' is capitalised in Dutch, for instance. Checkout our site guidelines (link right there, or in my sig, or via the tab at the top of the page) for the bottom line. Thank you.

A few points (most of which have already been made by my fellow staff members):

Posts from staff members like myself asking members to pay attention to their spelling and grammar are very common; your case is not unusual.

A considerable number of members of this site do not have English as their first language (including staff), which is why I acknowledged that in my post to you.

Not once did I call you lazy.

As has already been mentioned, we do not notify by PM on these occasions but instead we post in the thread. This is because other members often report these posts and it helps show that action has been taken.

Offcors are corrections allways good. I dont have any problem with that. Its just the it was told to me. In a topic and it looked like i am doing it because i must be lazy.. Thats not the way to tell it to someone. Again in a normal way i DONT have no problem what so ever with it..

I think I have addressed this point, that we respond publicly. I fail to see how I wasn't polite.

The origional message whas longer with more text. But i am done with it.

Nothing has been edited; as I've already said this is the first time I have been online since before you started this thread.

Suggesting that there might be dishonesty here is a far more serious accusation, and one I will take further with you if you persist with it.

The fact that not the whole text is in the topic and the fact that pandore has not had respond on my pm email says it all for me. She or He has talkt about my bad English, but the reason that i had ask my qeustion in the help forum regarding a EB member who have had get free technic and bionicle from me, and dont had payd me the shippingcost.

Nothing has been edited, I am very uneasy about you persistently saying this.

Again, this is my first occasion of being online since before you posted this topic.

Your original question had been answered by another member. I stop by that topic in case I can help a member, saw your post and decided action was necessary, which is part of my role as a moderator of this site.

There is no member of the EB staff who send me a PM regarding that.

We don't PM people about their problems in the 'Help' topic - that's not what we're here for and that's exactly what that topic is for, and we don't usually PM people about problems with grammar and spelling.

The fact that several other staff members have posted in this thread should really make you think. If you still want to have a dialogue about this, I will take you somewhere private and you can speak to me and the staff as a whole.