legoman666

Vale SD40-2, 7w

I fell in love with the colors on this locomotive after picking up a copy of Train magazine while I was at the place they print it (Hartford, WI). There was a small feature on the Vale, which is some Brazilian narrow gauge coal hauling rail line. The story was about a different model loco (AC44 or something newer like that). I poked around and found a couple photos of their SD40, which I decided would be easier given the limited piece selection. I've been collecting the pieces for it for several months now. Here is the prototype:

ZQXvxOVl.jpg6BCf1l2l.jpg

As you can see, the colors are difficult for reproduction in Lego. I ended up choosing Dark Turquiose (AKA teal), Yellowish Green, & Lime. My collection of teal consisted of a meager handful of parts. Most of what I used I ended up borrowing from my LUGs stash. Even with my club's selection of teal, it was still a challenge because none of the modern parts were ever made in it; cheese, curved slopes, etc. Lime is pretty common these days and I didn't need much of it anyway, but Yellowish Green only had 4 usable parts, cheese, 1x1 plate, 1x3 plate, and 1x2 brick. Those are literally the only pieces in that color I used.

Anyway, to the photos!

25949952216_2771706798_b.jpg

25675303180_948264187f_b.jpg

25370104603_ff04e55998_b.jpg

25898192022_51170a984b_b.jpg

26088756222_018ec54098_b.jpg

26181200335_617a111887_b.jpg

26181199615_f8e9b86ef9_b.jpg

As you can see, I am almost done. Just need to finish up the rear, the grilles on the top, both plows (?), and the railings. If only cheese existed in teal..... I'm just glad the cockpit is light grey instead of something more exotic.

Edited by legoman666

Wow, colour choices are spot on! So clean looking.The camera makes the teal look either more blue or green just like the real thing!

Yeah they're all cell phone photos so far. I'll take some photos will a real camera as soon as it's done.

Looks good. As mentioned the color is a great choice! :wub: Only detail I can see missing is an exhaust port on the roof (The official Maersk Engine set has a simple exhaust pipe, a good reference to since that set was based on an SD-40)

Photos from a real camera. Colors are actually accurate (yay!).

26134325711_e02e6a07b3_b.jpg

26174721616_0a8a2871c6_b.jpg

25597964973_3ed7255b86_b.jpg

26174717126_b557e0fcf3_b.jpg

26108181372_ccbb34197f_b.jpg

26108183742_1d0d298507_b.jpg

25597955223_5a39aef56b_b.jpg

26200622865_e0aaaaa93f_b.jpg

Basically done. There are a few pieces in the wrong color or missing. What I really need is either 1x1 or 1x3 teal tile but they don't exist...

Edited by legoman666

That looks really good, especially with the limited part availability in your chosen color. While there are clear evidence of many great ideas integrated into this build, you've definitely added to the collective building ideas and have brought it further. Just one simple question, why did you choose to build the cab windows out of strictly plates instead of using bricks when possible, e.g., the side windows look like they would work well with a 1x2 brick.

That looks really good, especially with the limited part availability in your chosen color. While there are clear evidence of many great ideas integrated into this build, you've definitely added to the collective building ideas and have brought it further. Just one simple question, why did you choose to build the cab windows out of strictly plates instead of using bricks when possible, e.g., the side windows look like they would work well with a 1x2 brick.

Thanks! I saw your question last night and it took until now to remember why I did it that way. Facing the front of the cab, the end 1x2 clear plates are actually tile: the first half of the window is 3x clear 1x2 plates, then a 1x2 bley plate, and then the second half is 2x clear 1x2 plates with a 1x2 clear tile. I wanted to keep it uniform looking, so I didn't swap out the 3 plates. Same with the front window, I'd have to use 1 1x1 clear brick then 1 1x1 clear plate. I'd rather just use 4 1x1 plates.

Edited by legoman666

Nice color scheme and execution based on the pictures provided.

Thanks for sharing.

Is it motorized?

Nice color scheme and execution based on the pictures provided.

Thanks for sharing.

Is it motorized?

Cheers. No motors in this one. Impossible with these colors.

legoman666,

Compromises must be made sometimes as color can do that to you. But the colors, that is a sight to behold! We do not see a lot of people experimenting with less mainstream colors here regularly due to obvious reasons. But your rendition is beautiful.

3D LEGO

A truly ludicrous color scheme to replicate given the part selection available. But the end result was worth the effort. It's a sweet model and will be a real head turner at shows.

Cale

Interested to see how you attached the snot work on the sides of the bogeys, it is a little hard to reverse engineer