The 1930s are the time for which he's best known to some of us, but the character lives from July 1st, 1899 to at least sometime in the early 1990s. We've seen him in the 1930s (specifically, 1935, 1936, and 1938) - and 1908 to 1910, 1912, 1916 to 1920, 1950, 1957 and 1958, and 1992 and 1993. What we haven't seen is anything in that huuuuuuuuge gap between 1958 and 1992. We also know that he had particularly harrowing adventures in this time period, ones which left him more visibly scarred than anything that had happened to him at any previous point in his life, yet we know nothing about those adventures. Maybe the 1930s are the period people best know him in, but that's the period most in need of fleshing out for his screen biography to be more complete.

I disagree that any period is in a certain "need" to be fleshed out. I don't think it is from particular interest to create a whole cinematic or whatever biography of him. Sometimes the more lies in the shadows, the more interesting a character gets. If at all, the time-frame before the films could deserve some attention really, but I still would prefer not to (yes, there was the Young Indy TV-series, but I don't see a reason really to take it as canon).

And I certainly think Spielberg isn't the right for the job anymore. He just ran out of steam creativity-wise.

Best would be a decent reboot at some point. With the emphasis on decent, if the series really has to continue... :wink:

I disagree that any period is in a certain "need" to be fleshed out. I don't think it is from particular interest to create a whole cinematic or whatever biography of him. Sometimes the more lies in the shadows, the more interesting a character gets. If at all, the time-frame before the films could deserve some attention really, but I still would prefer not to (yes, there was the Young Indy TV-series, but I don't see a reason really to take it as canon).

And I certainly think Spielberg isn't the right for the job anymore. He just ran out of steam creativity-wise.

Well, we don't exactly truly "need" any movies at all. But I'm talking about what I, as a fan, want. And I disagree about what's most interesting. The character was always interesting, but gained lots of layers and depth once he was fleshed out.

As for not taking the show as canon, what reason on Earth is there to do that? The show is the largest, most ambitious part of the entire screen canon to date; it's also actually even better than three out of the four movies, IMO (and this is coming from someone who loves all the movies probably more than anyone else here). The show is even referenced in the movie series. If it were removed from canon, would you also remove movies as well?

Best would be a decent reboot at some point. With the emphasis on decent, if the series really has to continue... :wink:

A reboot will most likely happen at some point whether we want it or not anyway. I'd just like to get a last little bit of additional material to finish out the original Indy before it does, and there's nothing wrong with that - it won't prevent anyone who wants a reboot from eventually getting it. It'll just bring those of us who want one final go-round with the original what we want.

There are rumblings of Disney•Lucasfilm continuing on with adventures with new characters in a shared Indy universe, but if that's the way they go, the status of a reboot still won't be changed by the existence or absence of the next movie with Harrison & co.

:wink:

Wait how do we know when Indy dies?

We don't; we just know that he lives until at least his early 90s, in the year 1993. He could die later that year, or make it all the way to a hundred or more.

Well, we don't exactly truly "need" any movies at all. But I'm talking about what I, as a fan, want. And I disagree about what's most interesting. The character was always interesting, but gained lots of layers and depth once he was fleshed out.

I like the Indy-movies a lot too. At least most of them :wink: Thing is, that Harrison Ford is now in an age where he can't play him anymore in a convincing way. At least not for me. And of course these things are always subjective. He did a great performance as Indy and that was enough fleshing out for me. As I said: its subjective :classic:

As for not taking the show as canon, what reason on Earth is there to do that? The show is the largest, most ambitious part of the entire screen canon to date; it's also actually even better than three out of the four movies, IMO (and this is coming from someone who loves all the movies probably more than anyone else here). The show is even referenced in the movie series. If it were removed from canon, would you also remove movies as well?

The show was never a big thing really. At least it didn't by far reach an audience as the movies. Of course fans who are more immersed in the franchise disagree. But after all, they made the whole EU in Star Wars non-canon too, or the Star Trek reboot did (sort of), just to take back bits and pieces they needed/found worthy too keep. Its in a way a pretty messy decision because it leaves a lot fans with disjointed elements, but on the other hand, it nicely trims down the narrative again and leaves plenty of space for more movies in the timeframe before indys movie-adventures.

And yes, if I could, I would declare Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as non-canon. Just as well as the Matrix-sequels, but thats another story :laugh:

There are rumblings of Disney•Lucasfilm continuing on with adventures with new characters in a shared Indy universe, but if that's the way they go, the status of a reboot still won't be changed by the existence or absence of the next movie with Harrison & co.

I loathe the idea of cinematic universes, sorry :wink: At least the way as Marvel did. That is just taking the worst from soap operas and transporting it into the action/scifi/fantasy genre. Often, one coherent movies, with a well-told story and good characters is the better solution than a inflated franchise of cinematic mediocrity. Sequels can be ok, if they really tell you something interesting and can stand on their own. In that regard (but not only!) the first 3 Indy-movies were perfect :classic:

Therefore: lets see how it all plays out. If a film is good, it is good :classic::thumbup:

I like the Indy-movies a lot too. At least most of them :wink: Thing is, that Harrison Ford is now in an age where he can't play him anymore in a convincing way. At least not for me. And of course these things are always subjective. He did a great performance as Indy and that was enough fleshing out for me. As I said: its subjective :classic:

Well, who can better play Indy at a given age than Harrison Ford around the same age? Say they recast, but still made it a sequel, so that Indy is in his 60s or 70s. Do you really think there's some better actor for that character?

The show was never a big thing really. At least it didn't by far reach an audience as the movies. Of course fans who are more immersed in the franchise disagree. But after all, they made the whole EU in Star Wars non-canon too, or the Star Trek reboot did (sort of), just to take back bits and pieces they needed/found worthy too keep. Its in a way a pretty messy decision because it leaves a lot fans with disjointed elements, but on the other hand, it nicely trims down the narrative again and leaves plenty of space for more movies in the timeframe before indys movie-adventures.

And yes, if I could, I would declare Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as non-canon. Just as well as the Matrix-sequels, but thats another story :laugh:

Yes, but the EU they jettisoned wasn't The Clone Wars - it was mostly a bunch of books and comics and such that were always at a lesser tier of canon than the actual screen productions. The Clone Wars is still canon; in fact, it's even being referenced by the new live-action movies.

Similarly, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones can remain canon even while they jettison the extant novels, comics, etc., if they want to go that way. And they'd be better off keeping it - in all honesty, it's easily the most artistically ambitious, emotionally deep, and substantial part of the canon. It makes the movies and the whole franchise more meaningful, elevating it all above mere popcorn thrills (however expertly, brilliantly executed popcorn thrills they usually are) to something greater and more profound. And what end would it serve?

I loathe the idea of cinematic universes, sorry :wink: At least the way as Marvel did. That is just taking the worst from soap operas and transporting it into the action/scifi/fantasy genre. Often, one coherent movies, with a well-told story and good characters is the better solution than a inflated franchise of cinematic mediocrity. Sequels can be ok, if they really tell you something interesting and can stand on their own. In that regard (but not only!) the first 3 Indy-movies were perfect :classic:

Therefore: lets see how it all plays out. If a film is good, it is good :classic::thumbup:

I love what Marvel is doing, but I agree I wouldn't necessarily want it for Indy. That said, it's not in my hands. I mentioned it only because it actually was relevant to the issue of whether the franchise would be rebooted.

Whether we get an ongoing cinematic Indyverse, a reboot series, or neither, what definitely is happening at the moment is a fifth movie in the classic series, with Harrison Ford, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, and Frank Marshall all returning in the capacities on which they all worked on the first four. Some outside factor might disrupt or derail that, but it won't be because of what we say here in this thread on a LEGO forum; we have about as much control over it as we do over erosion on Mars. As long as it's happening anyway, we might as well hope for the best, right?

Whether we get an ongoing cinematic Indyverse, a reboot series, or neither, what definitely is happening at the moment is a fifth movie in the classic series, with Harrison Ford, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, and Frank Marshall all returning in the capacities on which they all worked on the first four. Some outside factor might disrupt or derail that, but it won't be because of what we say here in this thread on a LEGO forum; we have about as much control over it as we do over erosion on Mars. As long as it's happening anyway, we might as well hope for the best, right?

Sounds like a plan :wink:

Edited by Littleworlds

If they try to make a large franchise universe from Indy, I'd be confused, most likely. It sounds unnecessary and weird.

That said, if they feel the need to do so, I wouldn't mind seeing a single film (Not a series) with an emphasis on letting us know more about they younger days of Henry Jones Sr. He probably went on some sort of adventure, at least once, right? Maybe?

Perhaps involving how he met Indy's mother, or something cliché like that.

I'd be up for that. I also wouldn't mind seeing other characters backstories like Belloq, we know he was an archeologist just like Indy so I imagine he would have also had some adventures.

Variety - 'Indiana Jones 5’ Will Miss 2020 Release Date (EXCLUSIVE) 

Indiana Jones will not be riding back into theaters on July 10, 2020.

The fifth film in the adventure series will miss its original release date, Variety has learned. Filming was supposed to begin in April of 2019 in the United Kingdom, but sources close to the production say that shooting will no longer start next spring and will have to be pushed back by months, if not a year. Potential crew members have already been informed of the delay.

Part of the issue is that the key members of the creative team have yet to sign off on a finished script. Collider reported on Thursday that Jonathan Kasdan, son of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” scribe Lawrence Kasdan, has been enlisted to deliver a new draft. A deal has yet to close to bring the writer on board, but it looks as though he will soon join the project. David Koepp (“Jurassic Park”) took the first pass at the script. At one point, the fifth Indiana Jones was supposed to hit theaters in 2019.

Indy 5 coming in 2022 confirmed by Disney today!  Hope we see some sets out of it, whether only from the new movie or some stuff from the older ones.  Off the top of my head, there's about ten scenes from the first 4 movies that we never got:

Raiders - bar shootout, map room, maybe something with the boat/submarine

Temple - plane escape, the ending fight on the bridge would work well

Last Crusade - train scene from the opening, zeppelin, tank chase (probably the most wanted but also least likely of any of these), Grail temple

Crystal Skull - opening scene (car chase with crates or something), car chase with the KGB agents

If we got maybe just one of these, plus a few remakes from the original wave (I think the jungle temple from Raiders, truck chase from Raiders, motorcycle chase from Last Crusade, and maybe a remake of the Temple of Doom would be pretty popular) and of course, some stuff from the new movie would be a fantastic wave.  Hopefully we can finally get a Sallah figure too!  He's a fairly easy custom using a Prince of Persia head and generic tan suit torso, but an official one would be great.

Edited by Kit Figsto

In all honesty I'm more excited about the potential sets than the movie itself. Hopefully Lego doesn't pull a POTC 5 and release only one big expensive set.

I’d love it if LEGO took the approach they did with the Harry Potter theme to Indy. If they went through every film with a wave of sets to accompany it. Maybe even throw in a CMF series. 

Problem is, that Indy fights against nazis and soviets and Lego can't pull that nowadays, so I'm guessing they might do just one set with ending location in movie or just make a brickhead and call it a day

On 2/1/2021 at 2:45 PM, Jack Sassy said:

Problem is, that Indy fights against nazis and soviets and Lego can't pull that nowadays, so I'm guessing they might do just one set with ending location in movie or just make a brickhead and call it a day

And you think they could do that back when the original sets released?If we do get sets for the new movie they'll do what they did back then,give the enemy soldiers generic uniforms and skip the nazi or soviet insignia.

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

And you think they could do that back when the original sets released?If we do get sets for the new movie they'll do what they did back then,give the enemy soldiers generic uniforms and skip the nazi or soviet insignia.

You do have fair points there, but I guess it's more that Lego don't want to make nazis and soviets anymore, seeing as they cancelled that Technic set just because it's a military vehicle. Personally, I do hope they'll make sets like they did back in the day, Indiana Jones is one of my favourite themes of all time and seeing new sets would be a treat.

8 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

You do have fair points there, but I guess it's more that Lego don't want to make nazis and soviets anymore, seeing as they cancelled that Technic set just because it's a military vehicle. Personally, I do hope they'll make sets like they did back in the day, Indiana Jones is one of my favourite themes of all time and seeing new sets would be a treat.

I share your hope,this is one of my favourite licensed themes and would love to see more sets.

I don't see why they couldn't do it again, I'd frankly be super disappointed if they didn't make any sets.  I highly doubt we'd see anything like the tank chase from Last Crusade, as much as I'd want to, just because they've never really directly made a tank, but they did a fine job with the original sets of just removing any insignias or logos from vehicles or minifigure designs.  Plus, I would hope that they see the secondary market prices for the sets and know how popular these are, it was probably one of the few licensed themes that lasted only a couple of years but wasn't considered a flop, if I remember right, the rumor was that they put the theme "on hold" after 2009 and that we'd get more in 2010/2011, but obviously that never happened.  I think it'd be a mistake not to do it, Lucasfilm/Disney related LEGO stuff seems absurdly popular, and I don't think IJ has the appeal for other licensed toys that Star Wars does.  That is, with Star Wars, in addition to LEGO, they have like five different lines of action figures, plush toys, toy lightsabers/weapons, trading cards, and other types of toy too.  With IJ they can maybe do one line of figures, some whips/hats, and maybe one line of trading cards.  LEGO would be one of the few opportunities for an almost guaranteed successful tie-in.

At the very least, please just give us a Sallah minifigure!

De aged Indy looks so good here. 

There are a few shots that look a little off (like a couple of the scenes from New York). But otherwise a really great trailer.

I’ll say it - I enjoyed it. It’s my least favorite one but I’m glad I saw it and it didn’t tarnish the memories of the other four. I wish the ending had more punch though. (ironic I know)

I'm here to say I also enjoyed it, probably placing it at my third favourite for the time being, nestled right below Raiders of the Lost Ark, but above Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Last Crusade is my favourite movie and Temple of Doom's also fun, if my least favourite.

I do think Harrison put out one of his better performances in this movie, though. There's a couple scenes where he just knocks it out of the park.