Jim

Potential Questions for LEGO Designers

Hypothetically speaking; if you could ask LEGO Designers questions about LEGO parts...

...what would you ask?

AXLES

Why is TLG using Red and Yellow axles lately?

It would be great if you could use a header with the type of question, so I can create a list/index. I will move this question to the General section later.

Bear in mind:

THIS IS NOT A WHISH LIST TOPIC!

What is the one thing you want to create but haven't been able to/ not authorised to do so?

Maybe I wasn't really clear, but the question should be about PARTS, not sets.

Edit: Or are you talking about parts?

Can I ask if you have plans/intentions to convey these interesting question to actual TLG employees?

METAL PARTS

I would like to know if metals parts like hooks and counterweights are out of the question nowadays.

I have a feeling that this thread is not so hypothetical as you are trying to making it seem :wink: Anyway, here's my question:

DISCONTINUED PARTS

Which discontinued part (which won't come back for whatever reason) do you miss being able to use?

To illustrate, I really liked 4261.gif for smaller wheels, but it's incompatible with the studless beams' dimensions.

PNEUMATICS PARTS

As flagship models are growing up in size don't you feel the need for longer pneumatic cylindres?

PF ELEMENTS

Will micro motors appear again? Don't you think some models would be better if those where used in them?

I would also like to learn more about the design process of a part.

DESIGN PROCESS

Does the idea for a new part always start with a technical problem while designing a set? Or is there a wishlist of possibilities, for example the permutations of connecting X number of cross holes with X number of holes in a certain orientation (see the work of Efferman) or the next step in the logical series of panels, for which a use is found in a new set?

SIZE LIMITS

Is there a danger that with growing size flagships, the technical limits of the ABS parts are getting reached?

AFOL INFLUENCE

So how much of the part design process is influenced by AFOLs?

If an AFOL wants a new part, is it best to just suggest it, or to also come up with as many reasons as possible as to why TLG should release it, and through what channel is it best to do that?

Do you have a wish list of parts and if so what are they?

DESIGN CRITERIA

When designing a new part safety is obviously number one priority. Outside of a part being made of an unsafe material (like lead!) or sharp edges, how can a part be unsafe?

Are there any parts that did not work out for whatever reason (like perhaps the 1M worm gear with a 1M bush on either side)?

Edited by allanp

Allan, you are not allowed to post here :laugh::wink:

Nor is Efferman :tongue:

On a more serious note; this is not a wishlist topic.

So Allan, please change your post to reflect questions to designers, instead of disguising your wishes as a question :wink:

Ooooops! Sorry :blush: Um, well my question was would the designers consider these new parts :grin: . Is that not enough of a question? I will change it if you want :classic:

EDit, on second thoughts, you are of course right. don't want this topic to be cluttered by wishes. I will edit or delete my post. :classic:

Edited by allanp

I think you'd better rephrase the question to a single generic "new parts question", instead of giving specific examples. The answer will probably be the same for every part you suggested "we would consider it, if it helps us solve a problem".

Good point. I have changed my post.

That's way better!! Thanks :sweet::thumbup:

Three questions....

1) Am I allowed to give some potential questions?

2) What is the point of this topic exactly,we have a embassy for topics like this.

3) Why have the "special" members not been advised of "a special topic which will get made in the main technic forum" before now?

[...]

3) Why have the "special" members not been advised of "a special topic which will get made in the main technic forum" before now?

Really? :hmpf:

I do have a question too:

General parts:

Are parts always designed for a set/model that needs it, or is there also something like an 'unreleased parts catalog' where model designers can pick from?

1) Am I allowed to give some potential questions?

Why wouldn't you be allowed?

2) What is the point of this topic exactly,we have a embassy for topics like this.

This has nothing to do with the Embassy.

Do I need permission to start a topic? :cry_sad:

Pneumatics

Any chance for parts like compressor pressure switch (or perhaps even pressure regulator) to be released? Also why air tanks are no longer used? Without these elements, isn't whole pneumatic system dull and hard to control?

Power functions

Newer official lego PF elements seem to be years behind? (Poor range and performance IR remote, super basic controls) It earlier, LEGO used to be leading player in this branch - in the era of old 9V system with all the motors, lights, conductive bricks, sensors and accessories, LEGO was offering the highest possible level. Is it so hard to implement newer technical features today?

Shafting

The only element of shafting in lego technic is an axle - with all its pros and cons (bending, low torsion stiffness...). With models growing bigger and bigger, is there any plan to introduce some more substantial system for shafts?

SOFTWARE

I guess they build digitally a lot with some custom software. How does that software compare to the solutions available out there, specially to their own LDD?

Do I need permission to start a topic? :cry_sad:

No, of course not.

I am sure you know, that I really do dislike these kinds of topics,I would much rather look at or give feedback on someone's creation rather than on a topic asking "is my yellow brick to yellow" or "is it dangerous to store my bricks side ways rather than up right". I am seeing less "building" and more discussion on for example "why I like to clean my Lego models twice a day".

Every day I see a new random topic and less actual building which is what I like to see (I know I am not the only one,who feels the same way).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Element Colours

Q) Do you wish you could introduce more different colours,or use elements in colours which maybe you cant use because of the "colour identification" that exists in technic.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

No, of course not.

I am sure you know, that I really do dislike these kinds of topics,I would much rather look at or give feedback on someone's creation rather than on a topic asking "is my yellow brick to yellow" or "is it dangerous to store my bricks side ways rather than up right". I am seeing less "building" and more discussion on for example "why I like to clean my Lego models twice a day".

Every day I see a new random topic and less actual building which is what I like to see (I know I am not the only one,who feels the same way)

Yet you still inform whether you can ask questions too? :sweet:

I know we all like to have as many MOC topics as possible (me included). But a community is about more than just MOCs.

Before this escalates; let's get back on topic.

Yet you still inform whether you can ask questions too? :sweet:

I was not sure what was going on with Allan's question,that's all.

Before this escalates; let's get back on topic.

Agreed.

I was not sure what was going on with Allan's question,that's all.

Ahh like that. I understand what you mean now :sweet:

Is this for Technic parts only?

Not really. I will probably move this topic to a general section, but I'd like to see how this progresses.