Sign in to follow this  
Robert8

Third 2015 LEGO Ideas Review - Guessing Game

Next LEGO Ideas set  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you think will be the next LEGO Ideas set to get approved?

• Jurassic Park Explorer
    • 20000 Leagues Under the Sea NAUTILUS
    • Toyota Landruiser 40 series
    • Beatles Yellow Submarine
    • HMS Beagle
    • Apollo 11 - Saturn V
    • Concorde Display Set
    • National Park Service Centennial Vignettes
    • Victorian London Christmas
    • None

My opinion is that none of them make it. The HMS Beagle(scale it down), Apollo 11, and the Concorde have the best chances but even those I don't see selling very well. This entire review I think will be a wash.

A lot of people are speculating that the next review could likely not produce an approval as well. Most of those projects are either too big, compete with a current license, or have a degree of redundancy to sets that are already out. I wonder if the review board takes into account the next batch when they make their decision. Having to give two consecutive waves a "no go" would not be very good publicity. Could it be possible that this could be taken into account and improving the chance that they will approve something in this round to avoid that situation?

I think the Yellow Submarine, Apollo XI and Concorde are all relatively likely, and that there's an excellent chance we'll get at least one of those three, and a fair chance we'll get two.

I think it'll either be the Beatles Submarine or none of them at all. The Submarine hits all the right notes I think: it's colourful, iconic/recognisable, has minifigures, and is reasonably sized. The only thing in its way is licensing!

I think it'll either be the Beatles Submarine or none of them at all. The Submarine hits all the right notes I think: it's colourful, iconic/recognisable, has minifigures, and is reasonably sized. The only thing in its way is licensing!

And we do know it's something that can be licensed. In the last few years it's even been a construction toy set from one of LEGO's competitors, as well as a Christmas ornament, etc.; it even has a Hot Wheels die cast version coming out soon, if it's not out already. The major consideration over whether LEGO can do it should hinge only upon whether K'Nex's license has expired, and judging from what I saw on their website the last time I looked at it, I suspect it has.

Does anyone know the time that Lego usually announces this third review?

Anytime from right now to mid-June. Their recent blog posting from earlier this week says it'll be "in a few weeks".

Anytime from right now to mid-June. Their recent blog posting from earlier this week says it'll be "in a few weeks".

The last review period ended at the beginning of January, and we didn't get an announcement until March 11. So I'd even back that up to mid-July as a possibility. Timed with Comic Con perhaps?

Yeah, they've had a couple reviews lately that ran a good month or more longer than usual, but I was going for, well, the usual. Moreover, as noted, their post of a few days ago does say "in a few weeks". While they've occasionally missed deadlines or other announced, expected dates before, they don't usually miss them by all that much, so I'm assuming it will indeed be in a few weeks - say, mid-to-late June at the latest, and possibly (hopefully, though I wouldn't hold my breath) as early as later this month.

I don't think they'd reveal the Beatles Submarine at SDCC, if they choose it. Doesn't seem.. fitting.

I certainly hope not. I'd rather we get announcement later this month. Just speculating if they take as long as they did last time. Fingers crossed it really is just a couple of weeks from now.

The major consideration over whether LEGO can do it should hinge only upon whether K'Nex's license has expired, and judging from what I saw on their website the last time I looked at it, I suspect it has.

Even if it hasn't, they could always hold it over until the next review, or whenever the license expires.

Beatles Yellow Submarine will be an official LEGO set!

DarthPotato, Emmi, Tariq j, Blondie-Wan, Hewman, Legocityfan, Khscarymovie4, Actor Builder, Borex, LEGODalekbuster523, centroid, BlueberryWaffles, CM4Sci, BrickJagger, Junior Shark, Murdoch17, Alpinemaps, Sven F, AnnaBuildsLego and tpvelo guessed right!

And Apollo 11 - Saturn V passed the review as well!

Blondie-Wan, Umbra-Manis, RabbiT_CZ, Actor Builder, BrickMonkeyMOCs, Nils_O, AFOLguy1970, zux, Gremer, Leewan, rustyredwreck, P3_Super_Bee, Kamil Z, tpvelo and me guessed right!