Boettner Builds

Any colour blind LEGO fans on here?

Earlier today, in less than ideal lighting conditions, I kept grabbing the dark green and dark blue 1x1 bricks instead of the ones I wanted, black. So that got me wondering if there was any colour blind LEGO builders on here. I know at the ripe age of 40, I'm starting to have a hard time figuring out which colour is which...

Yes. It's a disaster with bark blue/dark green/black. Also reddish brown/dark red, yellow/bright light orange, and sometimes even pink/light bluish grey.

Lighting is important, it helps, but still, I can't ever determine which of the above colors is which without putting them next to pieces I know the color of.

Yep, light yellowish green/bright yellow. Brighter lightning helps a lot.

Me too. I hate to use reddish brown or dark red tiles, I can spend hours trying to guess what color are they. Sometimes It's hard to differentiate pink from light bluish grey and under a warm light I've confused trans yellow and trans green.

My last disaster was confuse light blue with pink :blush:

A natural light helps a lot, but the better is to ask to someone close :wink:

Post processing the photos is also a problem :angry:

Some days ago I wrote a post in my blog about it (in spanish) http://aficionesdeun...de-colores.html

Edited by FonsoSac

my problems went up when I started using CFL and then LED light bulbs. I have far more problems picking dark green, DBG, black etc under those lights than in sunlight. Also have problems with orange and yellow under artificial light too. My wife used to ask why I put some odd colour somewhere - now I get her to show me the correct coloured part i'm looking for if i'm not sure :D

i've also been guilty of making a colour wall to help out. MOCing is pretty easy - picking colours between DBG and black in the printed instructions is sometimes a nightmare

Earlier today, in less than ideal lighting conditions, I kept grabbing the dark green and dark blue 1x1 bricks instead of the ones I wanted, black. So that got me wondering if there was any colour blind LEGO builders on here. I know at the ripe age of 40, I'm starting to have a hard time figuring out which colour is which...

I think contrast sensitivity is reduced as we age. That's why dark toned parts is exceptionally hard to differentiate. In my tray of selected black lego parts (mostly generic bricks and plates), its virtually a chore to locate specific part I need. I usually sprinkle /mix a bunch of lighter colored parts in that tray to assist me .

Me too. I hate to use reddish brown or dark red tiles, I can spend hours trying to guess what color are they. Sometimes It's hard to differentiate pink from light bluish grey and under a warm light I've confused trans yellow and trans green.

My last disaster was confuse light blue with pink :blush:

A natural light helps a lot, but the better is to ask to someone close :wink:

Post processing the photos is also a problem :angry:

Some days ago I wrote a post in my blog about it (in spanish) http://aficionesdeun...de-colores.html

I don't suffer from colorblindness, but I have heard of people who do; so your article was very interesting to read how the issue affects AFOLs. I guess "daltonismo" is español for colorblindness? I guess I can say, "¡hoy aprendí algo nuevo!"

I don't suffer from colorblindness, but I have heard of people who do; so your article was very interesting to read how the issue affects AFOLs. I guess "daltonismo" is español for colorblindness? I guess I can say, "¡hoy aprendí algo nuevo!"

Yes, the word "Daltonismo" means "Color blindness" and "daltónico" means "color-blind"

The article is about my experience, but I think it must be more difficult to others.

I think whe have to develop our strategies and tools to minimize the problem and laugh and learn when we make a mistake.

This is my last "disaster" ¿can you see the wrong color? :laugh:

25236043652_92f15bac84_z.jpg

Yes, the word "Daltonismo" means "Color blindness" and "daltónico" means "color-blind"

The article is about my experience, but I think it must be more difficult to others.

I think whe have to develop our strategies and tools to minimize the problem and laugh and learn when we make a mistake.

Took me a bit of time to see it! I had problems finding DBG pieces for a set I was building yesterday, was looking toward the Sun for about 2 hours on the drive home from the LEGO Store. I'm not color blind at all, but I understand how much of a pain in the butt it can be. :classic: :classic:

Must be that pink plate on the left side right behind the windshield.

I'm not colorblind but sometimes my lighting makes Old light grey and Light Bluish Grey look the same. It became annoying so I sorted out most of my old light and dark grey pieces in a separate bin.

Colourblind too and I find Dark Red and Reddish Brown hard, and sometimes Dark Brown and Black too. The curvature of the pieces is often a thing for me - as they reflect the light differently I often have a harder time spotting the differences without a really good peer at them and then in some cases by comparing them with a "known" piece.

Last month I moved into my man-cave properly for building purposes (I'm still allowed in the rest of the house - don't worry!) and as the lighting is better there I am finder it easier.

Must be that pink plate on the left side right behind the windshield.

Yes, it is. I realized the mistake when I had already published the picture

I still do not see it well in the photo :blush:

I did the same thing too. I noticed the oops after I published my photo. LEGO was a lot easier back in 1970 when they had only the basic colors. :laugh:
It is so hard to notice! Found only because you told about it.