I wondered where you had got to Grum.  Glad to hear that you are feeling better again.  Your earlier descriptions of the build inspired me to download the instructions and start building this truck as I have never built it.  Good to see it finished.  It looks really good.

Glad to here that you feel better after the struggle last weeks and great to see you got ready with the most best set ever. And it's still one of the most stunning and looking construction kits these days in my mind. This was also my last set i have build for myself some 7 years ago. Good that you back my friend.:thumbup:

Wow! Your 8258 looks great! The 8258 always looks great. Glad you completed it and had a great time with it.

i finished mine just before I had an "incident" which put me out of commission for a month!

glad you are back on the mend.

Andy D

21 hours ago, Bublehead said:

@grum64, I was glad to hear this time round your experience was savored and not gulped down.  I was lucky to find a copy of this beauty used and in great shape and it is a great set.  Classic flagship. What’s not to like? :classic:

I loved every minute of bit of this build. It was a absolute joy.

21 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Sterling work Grum! Never doubted you. :wink:

Thank you.

20 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Congratulations with finally reaching the finish line.:thumbup: I sincerely hope that the dozer will not be interupted by any physical mishaps, it is another classic you are aiming here for and a bit of a trip down memorylane for me as well. So I very much look forward to your progressupdates.

Thank you Jeroen. The 8275 will be a build with no interruptions from I’ll health as I’ve banned germs, viruses etc., from my system. I agree that Bully is every bit a classic and I’m really looking forward to starting it at the weekend.

20 hours ago, Pvdb said:

I wondered where you had got to Grum.  Glad to hear that you are feeling better again.  Your earlier descriptions of the build inspired me to download the instructions and start building this truck as I have never built it.  Good to see it finished.  It looks really good.

Thank you Paul. I have to admit the ‘novelty’ of seeing little more than our bedroom ceiling or the trees out of bedroom window for almost 7 weeks was starting to wear thin so it’s good to be back in my ‘chair. Nice to hear I inspired you (as opposed to send you to sleep) to build the 8258. I hope you enjoy the build as much as I did.

19 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Glad to here that you feel better after the struggle last weeks and great to see you got ready with the most best set ever. And it's still one of the most stunning and looking construction kits these days in my mind. This was also my last set i have build for myself some 7 years ago. Good that you back my friend.:thumbup:

Thanks Edwin. I agree that the 8258 is one of the best sets ever. It’s a great build experience, has great (and very clever) functionality and looks really good on the shelf.

16 hours ago, Andy D said:

Wow! Your 8258 looks great! The 8258 always looks great. Glad you completed it and had a great time with it.

i finished mine just before I had an "incident" which put me out of commission for a month!

glad you are back on the mend.

Andy D

Thank you Andy. Yes, it does look great and was such fun to build. Glad you got yours finished. I told you you’d get yours done before me :wink: Hope all’s going well for you after ‘the incident’.

Congratulations on finishing the mighty 8258 and I'm curious how you will find the integration of some studded elements on 8275.

From what I can remember of 8275, I found it a highly enjoyable build.

Very nice work Grum. It seems like there are often medical setbacks that try to stop you, yet you deal with them and continue building. Keep up the hard work. The crane truck and 8275 are models that I haven't built, so I'm looking forward to the next model. 

14 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Congratulations on finishing the mighty 8258 and I'm curious how you will find the integration of some studded elements on 8275.

From what I can remember of 8275, I found it a highly enjoyable build.

Thank you Erik. Thank you also for taking the time to help me with the crane arm. Although I’ve built the 8275 before it was several years ago and I can’t remember too much about the build process so it’ll be good to get reacquainted with it.

10 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Very nice work Grum. It seems like there are often medical setbacks that try to stop you, yet you deal with them and continue building. Keep up the hard work. The crane truck and 8275 are models that I haven't built, so I'm looking forward to the next model. 

Thank you very much Bart. There’s not much that stops me doing what to get done in life but if anything will it’ll be a chest infection. To quote from a recent correspondence with a friend. ‘The infection itself doesn't stop me but my stupid body, in particular my chest muscles. As they're on permanent vacation I can’t cough, instead I go through the motions, spluttering away in a particularly animated fashion. Think arms flailing akin to a teenage girl at a One Direction gig with shoulders shrugging like Dastardly’s Mutley on laughing gas. It’s been commented that I look like a marionette operated by a seriously intoxicated puppeteer during an earthquake.’

All less than ideal when building.

Edited by grum64
Spelling

I can offer my sympathy's Grum, Though a decent dose of Man Flu is nothing close to yours.. though when one starts to cough up blood there is usually something a bit more wrong.

I hate trucking cattle, and silly me thinking its a bad cold, turns out to be three broken rib's and a collapsed lung... needless to say I hope that steer tastes good one someone's plate. 

11 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

I can offer my sympathy's Grum, Though a decent dose of Man Flu is nothing close to yours.. though when one starts to cough up blood there is usually something a bit more wrong.

I hate trucking cattle, and silly me thinking its a bad cold, turns out to be three broken rib's and a collapsed lung... needless to say I hope that steer tastes good one someone's plate. 

I only had a chest infection. You've got broken ribs and more. I remember how painful broken ribs are so climbing in and out of your cab must give you gyp. Hope they heal soon.

Maybe you should think about leaving diagnosis of any future ailments to those a little more qualified :wink:

Edited by grum64

Build Day 1 - Building time 4hrs 40mins - Total build time 4hrs 40mins

Today I finally made a start on the 8275, the set that introduced Remote Controlled Power Functions to the Technic theme.

Like the 8258 this was an another of the early sets I built and as with the 8258 I don’t remember much about the build process (as much the fault of my abysmal memory than anything else) so it’s good to reacquaint myself with it.

There's not much progress so far but what there is has been pretty straight forward. Of course it is only day one.

20181001_150213.jpg

20181001_155958.jpg

20181002_160601.jpg

20181002_161514.jpg

Edited by grum64

On 10/2/2018 at 9:40 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Nicely done so far. The 8275 is one heck of a set, that's for sure.

Thank you. I agree, the 8275 is a heck of a set. The finished model has real presence and makes for a great display piece.

Build Day 2 - Building time 4hrs 20mins - Total build time 9hrs

Today’s been a good building day however progress would have been greater had I not used 10L axles instead of the required 12L in a couple of places and spent almost an hour changing them over. A stupid mistake. I'm obviously a slow learner as it's something I’ve done a few times. To exonerate myself I'm blaming a lack of clarity when using downloaded instuctions on my iPad. It's that or stupidity.

The smaller assemblies have been a job to fit mainly due the sticky outy bits making them difficult to handle but a healthy dose of perseverance got them done.

20181003_150802.jpg

20181003_152116.jpg

Front of assembly

20181005_170550.jpg

Rear of assembly

20181005_170648.jpg

Edited by grum64

Build Day 3 - Building time 6hrs 50mins - Total build time 15hrs 50mins

Today's been a brilliant day as I've had much more time than usual to build.

Surprisingly for me everything today seemed so easy, without any problems. Even building the 'engine' was easy, it only took 20minutes vs the usual hour & more. With this ease I've made pretty good progress. 

So far this build has been fairly repetitive but that hasn't made it any less enjoyable. As you can see, at this point it's basically made up of two assemblies housing the drive motors. Both of these assemblies are almost identical eachother. Once married together and the bracing added it seems to be a strong structure, it must be as my handling of it while fitting parts has been less than delicate to say the least.

Note:

The yellow studded beam shown in picture one is only there to support the assembly while the picture was taken.

The stage of the build as shown in the last picture marks the end of Instruction Book One. Books Two and Three to go.

20181008_162809.jpg

20181009_140050.jpg

20181009_144036.jpg

20181009_145416.jpg

20181009_164950.jpg

20181009_171154.jpg

20181010_113532.jpg

20181010_114914.jpg

20181010_143819.jpg

20181010_150343.jpg

Edited by grum64
Typo. Spelling.

Woah, this is more of a beast than I envisioned it to be! Good job so far, wish I'd been into Technic back in '07. :cry_sad:

Oh well. Eager to see more! :excited:

Edited by Maaboo35

10 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Man, I've wanted that excavator for such a long time. At this point though I think i'm waiting for a newer one to come out. 

This is a bulldozer, man... :hmpf:

Fantastic progress so far! As usual, I am impressed with the little subassemblies that are used in Technic models (I guess that is one thing I like about Technic).

What you have done so far is amazing,  I look forward to each of your updates.

As for your comment about using 10L axels instead of 12L... Been there, done that! I too think it is a difficulty using instructions on iPad, I have the same problem, but when that is all that is available, well..

Keep on building

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

23 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Woah, this is more of a beast than I envisioned it to be! Good job so far, wish I'd been into Technic back in '07. :cry_sad:

Oh well. Eager to see more! :excited:

22 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Man, I've wanted that excavator for such a long time. At this point though I think i'm waiting for a newer one to come out. 

The finished build looks quite imposing. Aside from the rather fragile blade ends it's a pretty rugged build easily handling being the plaything of an enthusiastic 5yr old.

If you're lucky enough to find one at an affordable price buy it. You won't regret it.

6 hours ago, Andy D said:

Fantastic progress so far! As usual, I am impressed with the little subassemblies that are used in Technic models (I guess that is one thing I like about Technic).

What you have done so far is amazing,  I look forward to each of your updates.

As for your comment about using 10L axels instead of 12L... Been there, done that! I to think it is a difficulty using instructions on iPad, I have the same problem, but when that is all that is available, well..

Keep on building

Andy D

Thank you Andy.

The numerous subassemblies are a joy to build with some of the techniques used being very interesting. The build is quite repetitive in places but I don't mind at all. Most sets are.

I'm glad it's not just me who finds building using an iPad a tad difficult at times. Building using downloaded instructions means the original instruction books stay prestine and frees up space on my build table. I have been toying with the idea of getting an angle poise lamp arm fitted with the top of a music stand. It can then hold either an instruction book or iPad.

Nice progress! For some reason I don't think the official box pictures of this model don't show its true size - it's only by following your build that I realize how big it is. 

7 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Nice progress! For some reason I don't think the official box pictures of this model don't show its true size - it's only by following your build that I realize how big it is. 

Thank you Bart.

I agree that the official box pictures don’t give much of an idea of the models true size. At 18" (46 cm) long and 7" (18 cm) high the 8275 is a good size and makes for an impressive display piece.

In it’s release year (2007) it was the flagship set but with today’s ever increasing part counts and models getting bigger and bigger I don’t think one 18” long with 1300+ parts would ever again be considered, or for that matter be accepted as such.

I had a quick furkle around the ‘net and found this pic which (if you can see through the sea of yellow) gives an idea of the 8275’s size.

IMG_3956.JPG

It's funny, I found that same picture after seeing this thread. With al lthose yellow things side by side it's hard to tell what's what. Also it looks like there was a huge size jump between the two mobile cranes. 

Wow! That is quite a "Sea of Yellow!" makes me appreciate the occasional color change to blue or red or anything but yellow.

How many of those have you built? If one of those is the 42009, then for me the score would be one (1)! I owned two of the others, but sold them for one reason or another, never having built them.

The 8275 is going to be a fine looking beast! Looking forward to seeing yours done.

Andy D

21 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

It's funny, I found that same picture after seeing this thread. With al lthose yellow things side by side it's hard to tell what's what. Also it looks like there was a huge size jump between the two mobile cranes. 

Mobile cranes? Not excavators? :laugh:

Seriously though, you're right. Makes sense though, considering the 42009 has an extra axle and many more parts. And 42030 is truly gigantic! Really shows off how big sets are now. *oh2*

35 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

With al lthose yellow things side by side it's hard to tell what's what.

*huh*

28 minutes ago, Andy D said:

Wow! That is quite a "Sea of Yellow!" makes me appreciate the occasional color change to blue or red or anything but yellow.

How many of those have you built? If one of those is the 42009, then for me the score would be one (1)! I owned two of the others, but sold them for one reason or another, never having built them.

The 8275 is going to be a fine looking beast! Looking forward to seeing yours done.

Andy D

I’ve built the 8043, 8053, 42009 (in both original and Jurgens Ultimate version) and have the 42030 sitting on a shelf awaiting my attention.

8 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

And 42030 is truly gigantic! Really shows off how big sets are now. *oh2*

Until I saw the picture I didn’t realise quite how big the 42030 is in comparison to other sets. I must get around to building it soon.