I want to know how you have the patience to keep a model incomplete on the shelf, whenever I get a new set I have to build it immediately! :laugh:

I like this topic a lot, really shows how sets are built.

Hi LvdH

I know what you mean about having boxes of unbuilt sets on the shelf and being inpatient to get them built. The way I build may say otherwise but I'm not particularly patient so I'm eager to get through my list of sets. Now I've got the 42053, 42055 and 42056 waiting in the wings I so want to build them, especially the GT3.

I've decided to build them alternating between older set & newer set so I get a bit of variety of builds otherwise I'll just be building the new sets and the older ones will never get built.

Thank you for your comment re: this topic. I'm trying to photograph the build assembly by assembly, I just hope my photos show enough of the build process.

Edited by grum64

Build Day 3 - Days build time 4hrs / Total build time 9hrs 5mins

You'll be pleased to know I've not much time this evening to write my usual ramblings.

I've just got time to say that today's building was problem free and all red 3L Axles were partially inserted where needed. Happy days.

Today's build pics

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

One last thing. As I said in the previous comment, I'm trying to photograph this build showing each assembly before and after attachment to the main build. This means some posts are photo heavy. If you feel that I'm including too many photos please do say and I'll reduce the amount I use :classic:

Edited by grum64

Hi Clive,

Not to many photos! I like all the detail you provide. Keep'em coming!

Andy D

Very good idea to show the sub assembly and then show it mounted on the main build. It shows each component very well, as well as your progress.

How far ahead do you "read" the instructions? The whole model, or just what you will be building in the next few days? I think I will go through all the books before building from now on, it seems like a better way to learn about the functions of the model as you're building it.

Anyway, good progress, keep it up.

Hi Clive,

Not to many photos! I like all the detail you provide. Keep'em coming!

Andy D

I like your new style and every building looks more at a review and admire your perseverance :thumbup:

Very good idea to show the sub assembly and then show it mounted on the main build. It shows each component very well, as well as your progress.

Thank you.

Besides taking the photos during the build to post here I find them really good to look back on after the build. It takes around 5-10 minutes to get a decent photo (in frame, in focus & free of fingers :classic:) which cuts into my build time but it's worth doing.

...How far ahead do you "read" the instructions? The whole model, or just what you will be building in the next few days? I think I will go through all the books before building from now on, it seems like a better way to learn about the functions of the model as you're building it.

Anyway, good progress, keep it up.

When I go through the instructions to come up with a build plan it's just for the next day. I set myself a 'target' stage, one that I think I can realisticly get to, and try to work out how to best go about the assemblies up to that stage. I find planning ahead saves me a lot of time and (most of the time) lessens the likelihood of frustrations.

Edited by grum64

There can never be too many photos of a build, especially when it's as complex as the Claas. I ordered another copy today since Amazon UK had it down to 80 quid again - I was going to use it straight out as a parts pack but after seeing the pictures of your work my fingers are itching to build it a second time.

Thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into completing and sharing your work.

There can never be too many photos of a build, especially when it's as complex as the Claas. I ordered another copy today since Amazon UK had it down to 80 quid again - I was going to use it straight out as a parts pack but after seeing the pictures of your work my fingers are itching to build it a second time.

Thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into completing and sharing your work.

Thanks for the heads up about Amazon. I'd only just ordered another Claas so I can build effermans brilliant Saddle Trac.

Thank you also for your kind comments.

Edited by grum64

Thanks for sharing Grum, you are an inspiration and a lesson that nothing is too difficult if you put your mind to it. Your pictures are brilliant and I wouldn't worry about your quality, I've seen so much worse in reviews and as I don't build technic (yet) your builds give me a sense of what I'm actually missing out on.

Thanks for sharing Grum, you are an inspiration and a lesson that nothing is too difficult if you put your mind to it. Your pictures are brilliant and I wouldn't worry about your quality, I've seen so much worse in reviews and as I don't build technic (yet) your builds give me a sense of what I'm actually missing out on.

Thank you, you're very kind.

Build Day 4 - Days build time 2hrs 45mins/ Total build time 11hrs 50mins

Firstly, a big thank you to the admin staff for their hard work updating our new website. I love it's new, modern look.

Today's building hasn't been without it's difficulties. 

Constructing the sub assemblies themselves wasn't difficult, attaching them to the main build was the problem. Fitting each proved tricky largely because I couldn't steady the build adequately while trying to get them in place. A good many attempts and a fair degree of stubbornness had each in place.

Today's build pics

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

1 hour ago, LXF said:

Thanks for the high detail photos, looks very interesting. 

:D

Thanks LXF.

Build Day 5 - Todays build time 2hrs 20mins/ Total build time 14hrs 10mins

As I had a couple of hours free it was off to the shed for some fun with my little ABS friends.

Having read through the instruction book last night I had a good idea of how today's build would go. Seeing a couple of 12t bevel gears gave me an idea that they'd cause problems (as they usually do :angry:) but much to my surprise no such problems materialised. The rest of today's building was equally problem free.

I have to say that seeing pictures of the completed model belies the complexity of this build. With it being quite modular in nature it's a real joy and the relative lack of repetition adds to that enjoyment.

Today's build pics

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

I wonder why are they using so many of the white clutch tubes instead of #2 connectors. I mean, without the rings they are less useful than the connectors. Maybe they are trying to include an otherwise uncommon part more to justify the new mold.

Edited by skppo

Great photos of your progress. After reading Skppo's comment and seeing the last pic you have uploaded I can easily see that the clutch pins look better the a a 3L connector with a hole in the middle, this is a cleaner solution I think. 

11 minutes ago, jono.rocky said:

Great photos of your progress. After reading Skppo's comment and seeing the last pic you have uploaded I can easily see that the clutch pins look better the a a 3L connector with a hole in the middle, this is a cleaner solution I think. 

Thank you

I agree that the clutch pins are a cleaner solution. When the model's completed they won't be seen unless it's turned upside down but I think it says a lot about the designer that he used them anyway.

Build Day 6 - Todays build time 2hrs 40mins / Total build time 16hrs 50mins

Happily building today was as problem free and enjoyable as yesterday's so you'll be pleased to read that none of my usual ramblings are needed (collective sigh of relief heard throughout the EB community :classic:).

Today's build pics

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

Edited by grum64
Spelling corrections

Grum, the ramblings add spice to what would otherwise be a Brickshelf folder. Don't worry though, I went back and read a couple of your previous comments so I could get my fill. :laugh:

14 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

Grum, the ramblings add spice to what would otherwise be a Brickshelf folder. Don't worry though, I went back and read a couple of your previous comments so I could get my fill. :laugh:

I agree with BusterHaus. I also enjoy your "ramblings" they add the you to your build progress reports... Keep the photos and ramblings  coming.

Andy D

Build Day 7 - Todays build time 4hrs / Total build time 20hrs 50mins

With Busterhaus and Andy D (just so you know who to blame :classic:) wanting my inane ramblings to continue I feel it only right and proper to oblige which is just as well as after today's building I have something to ramble about.

While looking through the instructions last night to plan today's building I came to the page below.

IMG_0946.PNG

Knowing that fitting these parts at this stage would cause me problems I planned to fit them before attaching the axle. Fast forward twelve hours or so and much to my annoyance I'd completely forgotten. The axle was on and try as I might there was no way I could remove it :angry:

Following a very heated conversation with myself (during which some I felt some very harsh things were said) I set about the task of getting them on. After just over 1hr 40 mins they were in place. I'm sure I heard much cheering and applause.

I wasn't happy about the lost building time as I didn't get as much done as I'd planned. Thankfully everything else went well.

Today's build pics

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

Edited by grum64
Duplicate photo removed

Don't worry Clive,

With my build off the Tug Triton for Iskes i rebuild the entire hull 3 times and lost 40 ours.

Everybody must learn from their mistakes.:wink:

42 minutes ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Don't worry Clive,

With my build off the Tug Triton for Iskes i rebuild the entire hull 3 times and lost 40 ours.

Everybody must learn from their mistakes.:wink:

40hrs? Now that's what I call patience.