Distorted Vision

Could we ever see a remake of these UCS sets

The more playset nature of recent UCS sets must be down to a lack of profitability in the expensive, large, display only models, and you'd have to admit, that their increased value now that they're out of production is down to rarity. Rarity is another way of saying poor sales, so I don't blame TLG for making the newer UCS sets appeal to a younger market. On the other hand, there aren't many truly unique parts in any of the UCS sets new or old, a bit of printing here, a canopy there, some minifigs (which people would gladly buy seperately in larger numbers) and packaging/instructions. The second hand market shows that we're dumb enough to pay a lot more than original retail price for an authentic looking display model, so why not replace the UCS brand on things like the new Hoth set, and the sandcrawler with UPS (Ultimate play set) and then keep doing the real Premium quality UCS sets on a limited edition basis, with a slightly increased price to cover the lower sales figures?

Nobody wants to pay more ever, but when the choice is what you want at a bit more money, or not getting what you want at all, then it's not really a choice. Speaking personally, as you may notice from my meagre post count, I've only just got back into lego since Christmas. I missed out on pretty much all the UCS sets while I was busy doing boring things like playing with cars and buying a house, but it's always been something I love. Between helping my nephews and neice with their lego, and building and Modding all the star wars sets I could get my hand son, it's really got me hooked. I am up for any and all the UCS sets I can get, but I'm not gonna pay the ludicrous prices that things like the death star, millenium falcon, SSD are going for these days.

The more playset nature of recent UCS sets must be down to a lack of profitability in the expensive, large, display only models, and you'd have to admit, that their increased value now that they're out of production is down to rarity. Rarity is another way of saying poor sales, so I don't blame TLG for making the newer UCS sets appeal to a younger market.

The landscape has changed since the release of the earlier UCS sets. I would strongly suggest that if a new Falcon, Star Destroyer, Y-wing or Blockage Runner were released poor sales would not be an issue. That's based on the assumption that the sets were actually any good but I have faith they would not screw those up. I think TLG will continue to intersperse UCS playsets with 'display' models. Incidentally the recommended ages for the Assault on Hoth, Ewok Village and Sandcrawler are 12+, 12+ and 14+ respectively so the target demographic for UCS-style playsets is not that young.

so why not replace the UCS brand on things like the new Hoth set, and the sandcrawler with UPS (Ultimate play set) and then keep doing the real Premium quality UCS sets on a limited edition basis, with a slightly increased price to cover the lower sales figures?

Thats actually a very good idea. At least that way they can have a very specific direction with what they are actually trying to achieve for the set and it clearly differentiates between what the ucs fan will be getting compared to a ups set.

The landscape has changed since the release of the earlier UCS sets. I would strongly suggest that if a new Falcon, Star Destroyer, Y-wing or Blockage Runner were released poor sales would not be an issue. That's based on the assumption that the sets were actually any good but I have faith they would not screw those up. I think TLG will continue to intersperse UCS playsets with 'display' models. Incidentally the recommended ages for the Assault on Hoth, Ewok Village and Sandcrawler are 12+, 12+ and 14+ respectively so the target demographic for UCS-style playsets is not that young.

I think a Y-wing would probably do well, as it would be in that $200 price point range. As for releases of the ISD and MF... the MF in today's pricing trend would be a $600 set. That's not going to sell well, and that's why it hasn't been released. If they do UCS versions of the ISD and MF again, I would not be surprised if they were smaller versions.

Lego doesn't shy away from expensive sets, but history tells that the more expense UCS really don't sell as well as we think. A lot of them were actually clearanced or put on sale towards the end to clear them out (even the Falcon).

However, 2016 is not 2007. There has never been a more fevered interest in Star Wars and I think large expensive display pieces will sell well in today's market.

The Death Star playset clocked in at $400 and was produced for 7 years - so there are plenty of people with enough disposable income out there to drop $$$ on good quality sets. The Ewok Village is going on 3 years, so there seems to be a market for these large playsets. It will be very interesting to see how well Hoth sells...

Those sets also had tremendous value for the price point. The Death Star had 3,800 pieces encompassing a huge set, 20 desirable minifigs, and was just a great design and build all around. Now compare that to the value of the new Hoth set, or the price/value point on many of the new TFA sets. The question isn't so much the price, it's what Lego is willing to give you for said price. And these days, the equivalent for 10030 or 10179 would carry a staggering price tag. Unless of course, they change that.

Edited by Schneeds

I wonder if the change to Disney ownership of the Star Wars franchise might be at play there? Disney never seem shy about charging what they can get away with for things.

Lego sales in 2015 were up 15% or something like that thanks primarily to Star Wars. Clearly the higher prices are not turning people away ;)

The UCS Finalizer sounds awesome! I reckon it would be a hard model to design though, with the two upper hulls. I would love to see someone attempt a finalizer!

I think we'll get a new Falcon UCS set in '17 or '19 winter release, to coincide with Ep.8 or 9. Which one it is, I think will depend on if the Falcon is destroyed in 8. I hope it survives, but I bet that would mean we have to wait for the first wave of Ep.9 sets to get it.

In the meantime, I could see Poe's Black Leader T-70 as a UCS set.

I think we'll get a new Falcon UCS set in '17 or '19 winter release, to coincide with Ep.8 or 9. Which one it is, I think will depend on if the Falcon is destroyed in 8. I hope it survives, but I bet that would mean we have to wait for the first wave of Ep.9 sets to get it.

In the meantime, I could see Poe's Black Leader T-70 as a UCS set.

I wonder what is more appropriated to this message : michaeldell.gif?f-ed=1 or fluoxetine%20biogaran.gif?f-ed=1 ?

I hope she survives as well, but I think next year is still the proper time to do the set, as it won't be just the year Star Wars - Episode VIII comes out; it'll also be the 40th anniversary of the entire franchise.

Note that the original UCS Millennium Falcon, still the largest Star Wars set and one of the most desirable, was released for the 30th anniversary.

Of course, if they're planning any such thing for next year, development on it should be well under way already...

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I wonder what is more approriated to this message : michaeldell.gif?f-ed=1 or fluoxetine%20biogaran.gif?f-ed=1 ?

Are you ever capable at all, of posting anything that isn't a snide dig at someone when it isn't a thread consisting of a MoC you did?

I hope she survives as well, but I think next year is still the proper time to do the set, as it won't be just the year Star Wars - Episode VIII comes out; it'll also be the 40th anniversary of the entire franchise.

Note that the original UCS Millennium Falcon, still the largest Star Wars set and one of the most desirable, was released for the 30th anniversary.

Of course, if they're planning any such thing for next year, development on it should be well under way already...

That's a good point actually. If not then, perhaps at the 50th, so 2027? I assume Disney will still be making films..

Edited by The Sarge

Are you ever capable at all, of posting anything that isn't a snide dig at someone when it isn't a thread consisting of a MoC you did?

Hey buddy! You must be new here....the answer is no btw, it's fascinating to watch

Sorry to revive a thread that has been dormant a few days...

Some comments have been made about Lego making 'smaller' UCS sets but apart from no Falcon or SSD sets the actual UCS vehicles are rather good I think. The new UCS slave 1 is by far the best version so far and in direct personal comparison, I think the new Red 5 Xwing is also excellent.

The UCS tie is physically also quite a big ship (although it's effectively two black plates and a ball haha).

I am quite excited by the chance of a new Snow Speeder and ABSOLUTELY praying for a new Falcon. I am positive that TLG will do a great job in any new ship releases either previously unreleased or rereleased.

Oh and I don't think large playsets should be UCS branded. The C stands for 'Collector' which kind of hints at being a model more than a playset.

I wouldn't even consider a pkayset style UCS but I'm sure TLG are selling plenty.

Edited by Lunchietey

The playset style UCS sets are still probably a good investment to shelve and resell in a few years.

You're definitely not alone on the Y-Wing. I started building my own last week with a light bluish grey color scheme because I can't stand all the different colors and weak greebling on the official set (also the price, haha). Here's my WIP, about 90% done:

http://i.imgur.com/9RZmxkQ.jpg

That Y-wing is sweet

That Y-wing is sweet

Thanks! Here it is about 99.9% complete.

http://i.imgur.com/MGa9j97.jpg

I saved so much money doing it in a grey color scheme. Those 122 white 2L ribbed hoses that go for $1 each got subbed for flat silver ones that cost 2 cents each. Between my part collection and bricklink I don't think I spent more than $30 on it.

Edited by rmoore

Thanks! Here it is about 99.9% complete.

http://i.imgur.com/MGa9j97.jpg

I saved so much money doing it in a grey color scheme. Those 122 white 2L ribbed hoses that go for $1 each got subbed for flat silver ones that cost 2 cents each. Between my part collection and bricklink I don't think I spent more than $30 on it.

That looks awesome. Did you just do color swaps or did you change the build at all?

That looks awesome. Did you just do color swaps or did you change the build at all?

Thanks, I changed almost all of the greebling all over the ship just to give it more detail. Basic structure stayed the same, though.