Rotating a heavy construction is difficult with LEGO's turn table and previous solution for a ball bearing using the droid wheels remain awkward. Mounting the droid wheels is just difficult. They were never meant to be a ball bearing. So I fired up my 3D program and created a Thrust Ball Bearing. Luckily I could also 3D print the whole assembly. I hope this helps. Further details are available here.

Well made. However, you really don't want to attach anything heavy to studs; I'd say that you'd need some more technic holes instead.

Well made. However, you really don't want to attach anything heavy to studs; I'd say that you'd need some more technic holes instead.

Agreed...although I do like the idea. Many have needed larger, more robust turnable. Make those simple changes and I think your new element will be well received.

Check out the new Efferman 3D printed turntable support and wheel holder for turntable here.

Turntable is 13L diameter.

If 4 wheel holders used then has 12 wheels to support the load.

I am awaiting arrival of these parts today so I can proceed with my Dockside Crane MOC

Edited by Doug72

I thinks it's meant to be more of a display turntable for heavy things, not so much a slewing bearing.

True for large Technic MOCs but, without parts sticking up, this might be more useful as the basis of a train turntable.

Mark

Good job. Turntable for train roundhouse, large amusement park carousel, etc. Many good uses for stud constructions outside of Technics.

Adding Technic holes for pin connectors would be easy to add to the 3D model. However, a ball bearing should not be used to hold weight. Lets assume that you have a crane on top that is heavier on one side than the other. The crane would just fall over. Whatever goes on top of a ball bearing has to be balanced.

My particular use is for a large stud based moc and hence this solution was my first choice. If you are interested I could add Technic holes to the 3D model, but I would probably not print it myself.

Fusion 360 has a very basic render engine. So here is another image.

lego-ball-bearing-7.png

what's wrong with this solution ?

The idea seems good, as long as each little wheel is not in contact with the previous and the next one.

what's wrong with this solution ?

hi_bearing2.jpg

The idea seems good, as long as each little wheel is not in contact with the previous and the next one.

Maybe, can you try to alternate two different wheel sizes. This will reverse the rotational direction alternately. So the larger wheels supporting the plateau turn all in the same direction.