Brickdoctor

LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

I'd imagine that (certainly in the UK) everywhere will have them on sale by December 26th for the start of the post-Christmas shopping boom at the latest. Dunno if Boxing Day sales are quite so big of a deal elsewhere in the world.

Sounds good. I will have to check the stores post-christmas then. Thanks for the advice!

75131 Resistance Trooper Battle pack

This set looks great! The speeder is a nice little build for a battle pack

Well my local toy shop had the two TFA battle packs and the snowspeeder micro fighter, just wish I had money so I could get them.

One thing to consider is that the new Death Star may not be a complete redesign. There's a good chance we could just be looking at a re-release with minor alterations - the minifigures more detailed, some pieces substituted with modern parts, but the overall set being identical to before.

This makes a huge amount of sense. If the death star has been popular enough to make it an evergreen set for 7 years there is no reason why they wouldn't just keep going with it with updated minifigures and a few changes. I imagine there will be a huge wave of new people coming into it for the first time with the new movie coming out that will have nostalgia for the original trilogy. Also people like me who have been holding off buying this set for years because the figures are too old.

Edited by TheBear

a new death star so soon after the last one will probably be a disaster for those resellers who have 55 of them in storage waiting to sell them for double the price. who'd want to buy the old one then?

I'm not personally worried about that. Scalping is poor I think.

Edited by atlas

The Death Star is such a wonderful set and I'm sure Lego have realised the inspirational effect it has on anyone that sees it, I'm sure plenty have bought it that never had any prior interest in Lego.

A new Death Star is a good idea - it's a set that should always be on the shelves and improving on it is to the advantage of everyone. I'd hope the intention was to improve the design rather than produce a cheaper version.

I'd love to see Lego really put some effort into the figures and give us the best versions possible of those figures.

I am really curious as to what the new Death Star will be like...I don't see how 10143 could be improved!

I don't think they will release a new Death Star II, it would be a good idea to do the one released in 2008. It was one of legos most selled products of all time, releasing a new one could probably even become more successful.

Personally I think the UCS set decision was a miss oppertunity for lego... They should have more sets and a UCS set based on TFA! That movie has had more marketing then anything I have seen before! Just my two cents though.

UCS sets take considerably longer to produce, and the designers only got to work from very rudimentary concept art to begin with. I'm sure there will be UCS sets based on TFA eventually, but they'd probably rather take the time to get them right.

UCS sets take considerably longer to produce, and the designers only got to work from very rudimentary concept art to begin with. I'm sure there will be UCS sets based on TFA eventually, but they'd probably rather take the time to get them right.

Not only that, but they're taking a risk already with the sets they have (since everyone is only assuming the movie will be good). UCS sets are also more expensive to produce, so they may just wait until the hype is over and the reviews are in before pulling the trigger on it.

Very glad that the visor on the Resistance Soldiers isn't a print, but is rather yellow plastic used instead, with normal flesh minifigure heads underneath. I found that very hard to determine until your video, so thank you IGRION :)

Not only that, but they're taking a risk already with the sets they have (since everyone is only assuming the movie will be good). UCS sets are also more expensive to produce, so they may just wait until the hype is over and the reviews are in before pulling the trigger on it.

The odds of TFA being a flop are infinitesimally small - people would go even if the reviews urged them not too, everyone with even a passing interest in Star Wars wants to see this, a $2.5bn-$3bn box office is on the cards. I'm surprised a UCS set isn't ready to go, maybe they planned for one and it got lost in the pile along with the Hoth base we'll never see.

The odds of TFA being a flop are infinitesimally small - people would go even if the reviews urged them not too, everyone with even a passing interest in Star Wars wants to see this, a $2.5bn-$3bn box office is on the cards. I'm surprised a UCS set isn't ready to go, maybe they planned for one and it got lost in the pile along with the Hoth base we'll never see.

Plus one other thing, even if the movie is bad (which I think it will be amazingly good) Lego will still sell well, take into consideration other sets in the past, for example the Naboo fighter, which I own, I think it is really cool even if people think Episode I was the worst one...

People buy the lego star wars sets because either they love the universe or the ships, not because the movie was cool, but that is just my opinion

Ok, if anyone gets any word of the new sets appearing in or around Manchester UK, please, do not hesitate to PM me the exact location, and post it here in the forum too :laugh:

Id agree with you on scalping if it were a limited run, poorly distributed action figure line like MOTUC or star wars black series ... but Lego? How does a guy who buys 19 death stars taking those sales from fans? Lego sets are among the most available, if not THE most available, toys out there. Whoever wants or wanted a particular set has ample time and opportunity to do so. But yeah, it's a good policy to re-release older sets I think. Playmobil has been doing it a lot recently.

Yes, you're right, it's not as noticeable on items that are not limited runs. But it's still taking away sales from legitimate customers. There are always going to be only 'x' amount of stock for a set, whether online or at a store, and if one person buys 10 of them (9 to sell), that is 9 that could have gone to a legitmate buyer, instead. Sure, if it's an item that will be easily gotten they will get it somewhere else or the next shipment, but should they have to do that so the other person can make his overpriced sales?

For UCS or limited runs, it's even worse.

Personally I think the UCS set decision was a miss oppertunity for lego... They should have more sets and a UCS set based on TFA! That movie has had more marketing then anything I have seen before! Just my two cents though.

My parents have said that same thing, I can't remember any movies marketed like this either, they have Star Wars on Popcorn chips for crying out loud :laugh: :laugh:

I'd imagine that (certainly in the UK) everywhere will have them on sale by December 26th for the start of the post-Christmas shopping boom at the latest. Dunno if Boxing Day sales are quite so big of a deal elsewhere in the world.

Boxing day is pretty big in the states as far as I know and, almost the same in Canada

There's definitely a point to be made about financial success, and this movie is already extremely successful. But there may be a bit of backlash if it isn't well received by the fans after they've seen it. Moreso than the backlash against the prequels, because this will have been the second let-down.

I fully expect that it will be a great movie, so it's not likely a problem, but it could be a factor in their decision. That's all I was getting at.

a new death star so soon after the last one will probably be a disaster for those resellers who have 55 of them in storage waiting to sell them for double the price. who'd want to buy the old one then?

That is the risk they take

My parents have said that same thing, I can't remember any movies marketed like this either, they have Star Wars on Popcorn chips for crying out loud :laugh: :laugh:

Interesting. There have been articles this week about how the marketing for TFA has been relatively low key for a movie of its stature. eg. that the marketing budget has been set at the very lowest end for any film with the budget range this had.

Interesting. There have been articles this week about how the marketing for TFA has been relatively low key for a movie of its stature. eg. that the marketing budget has been set at the very lowest end for any film with the budget range this had.

It's Star Wars!!! It is so embedded in the psyche of generations of moviegoers, it hardly requires much promotion. To be honest, the fact that the original trio is back would be enough to get millions into cinema seats on opening night! It is interesting that Disney is also really putting the Original Trilogy in the forefront, and quietly letting the prequels.... disappear... :sweet::thumbup::grin:

......HAHAHAHA!

I can't watch TV for an hour without seeing at least 5 Star Wars commercials, whether it be trailers, cars, toys, etc. This movie has been promoted a ton.

Are they talking Disney's ads, or ads in general, because disney isn't advertising a lot, you're right, but star wars is plastered on everything right now

Edited by Kman860

I can barely get away from the hype here in aus. All over Sydney there are posters, ads, displays everywhere you look. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the highest grossing films of all time

I can barely get away from the hype here in aus. All over Sydney there are posters, ads, displays everywhere you look. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the highest grossing films of all time

It has already broken all records with advanced booking of seats, so its a good chance it will be one of, if not the highest grossing film of all time. Oddly, in the US the film is opening on only 3,900 screens which is far less than many other recent blockbusters.

Edited by Renegade Clone