Sheepo

[MOC] Mercedes-Benz 300SL '54 "Gullwing"

It's incredible how many functions you fit in this MOC. I really like the brake system - so simple, yet effective. I'm also looking forward to examining the gearbox.

you did it again, this build proves that smaller scales also can include much functions, well done....

Good question, I think the challenge to change to smaller scale is a big step forward. 1/8 scale has big options, mainly huge space for mechanism and functions, but has big problems too: you need tons of parts to do anything, the performance is very poor even if you use many motors because it is too big and heavy, just a few different wheels in the correct size...

I feel very comfortable in 1/10 just after two cars, I think I took the best decision.

This is a good discussion and perhaps worthy of a new thread. I see benefits of both. I do think, in some ways, not all ways, it takes more skill to build small. It certainly is difficult to fit so much into small places. Yet at the same time I think big actually is getting a bad rap. I actually love big models. I know the limitations, many of my projects are 3-4,000 pieces. But big is just imposing. I love 'em. Small takes more dedicated attention and developed taste to appreciate.... whereas size just slaps you upside the face with "Look at me I'm awesome" -- Also although technical skill is an absolute requirement for building small, building big also takes a lot of skill. Because Lego has such limitations in terms electronic functions (PF motors limitations) and strength, that much planning and technic skill is needed to build big as well. in addition, just the shear number of pieces it just takes so much time and patience to build big. Both have their pros and cons.... and I think both pose their own unique requirements and level of difficulty.

It was great to see and meet you and your 3 other friends at LW 2015 :thumbup: .

Your 300 SL is realy a true masterpiece :wub:

The design of the body is spot on and the gearbox, breaks and suspension works so smootly.

Well done my friend and say HOFF with this beauty

The shift to 1/10th seems to have been a very wise one. And it seems a natural progression; with your first gearboxes you needed the extra space that 1/8th afforded you, but no more!

The bodywork is gorgeous, the flowing lines are perfectly executed. The mechanical side exceeds expectations, both the working brakes and "smooth" shifting gearbox. It actually allows the car to pick up speed in a realistic way, something that wasn't possible in your previous models. Does the gearbox use some type of auto clutch, or is it clutch-less?

Beautiful car Sheepo!

~John

I was not able to decide if I like the scale change or not.

Basically the bigger models can have more functions compared to the small ones. I have bought the Mustang book and built it 100% matching parts. I was amazed about it, it was the coolest and most complex thing I have ever built and touched, however I have felt that it had too much space which could be turned into features like windscreen wipers, turning signal lights, handbrake, break lights, etc.I still think that the Mustang is amazing and I'm so happy to had the opportunity to build it, however if I compare the pictures of the Bugatti Veyron or the Porsche they had no space left in it; on the other hand I do understand that these features would end up having 4500+ parts or even more, making the car too heavy to be able to drive.

With the BMW I had a feeling that the scale change was a bad idea, I don't like the front of the car as a lot of others, however the ideas were exceptional, and the other parts of that car was also amazing. That was the first one in that scal, so some imperfection is acceptable..

However this car is so good, cool, exceptional that I think the scale change definitely was a good decision. Having a car with this size and with so many features is something that has never built before.

Congratulation Sheepo!

Could you please share some pictures about the front suspension and brakes?

When will the rebrickable item available? I would like to see what parts are missing, before buying the instructions.

Cheers,

Zoltan

Does the gearbox use some type of auto clutch, or is it clutch-less?

Actually this gearbox doesn't need clutch.

The main reason is the scale change, with lower weigth and power the torque in the gearbox's drive rings is low and it is possble connect and disconnect them directly, you can't do it properly in 1/8 models

I was not able to decide if I like the scale change or not.

Basically the bigger models can have more functions compared to the small ones. I have bought the Mustang book and built it 100% matching parts. I was amazed about it, it was the coolest and most complex thing I have ever built and touched, however I have felt that it had too much space which could be turned into features like windscreen wipers, turning signal lights, handbrake, break lights, etc.I still think that the Mustang is amazing and I'm so happy to had the opportunity to build it, however if I compare the pictures of the Bugatti Veyron or the Porsche they had no space left in it; on the other hand I do understand that these features would end up having 4500+ parts or even more, making the car too heavy to be able to drive.

With the BMW I had a feeling that the scale change was a bad idea, I don't like the front of the car as a lot of others, however the ideas were exceptional, and the other parts of that car was also amazing. That was the first one in that scal, so some imperfection is acceptable..

However this car is so good, cool, exceptional that I think the scale change definitely was a good decision. Having a car with this size and with so many features is something that has never built before.

Congratulation Sheepo!

Could you please share some pictures about the front suspension and brakes?

When will the rebrickable item available? I would like to see what parts are missing, before buying the instructions.

Cheers,

Zoltan

Very good comment Zoltan.

You are all right about the free space inside the Mustang, that was the first time I though about change the scale of my models. Actually if you see the Beetle it is done in 1/8 scale, but it is only 25 studs wide and very short, the same phisical size as most part of 1/10 models.

As you said a car as complex as Veyron or Porsche are actually almost undriveable, the lego drive parts and motors don't work properly in models bigger than 1/10.

About the BMW, right now I am doing a big upgrade before do the instructions, adding some improvements in the in the chassis and bodywork.

I don't have more pictures of the 300SL now, and I am very far of it to do more pictures. If I have some free time I will do some quick renders.

As soon as I have the final part list I will upload it to rebrickable.

Glad that you're upgrading the BMW. I love it very much but I do think there's room for improvement for its bodywork. Looking forward to the instructions!

Well, finally the instructions are ready!!

Captura%2Bde%2Bpantalla%2B2016-01-08%2B17.02.08.png

The car has more parts than I thought: 2156 including controller. Initialy before show the car I did a calculation about the number of parts I think it must has based on its weight, the result was about 1600, but I was very far of the reality ;)

The instructions has 355 pages

Captura%2Bde%2Bpantalla%2B2016-01-08%2B17.02.15.png

Captura%2Bde%2Bpantalla%2B2016-01-08%2B17.02.30.png

Thanks to Jurgen and blakbird!!

All info here: http://www.sheepo.es/2016/01/mercedes-benz-300sl-54-instructions.html

For those who haven't looked this MOC is actually quite affordable at around $300 USD (including RC stuff). Also, there's really only one rare part in lbg (x44 like always) but could probably be subbed to LG with no problems. You can count me as a future builder of this!