Cjd223

Cavegod UCS AT-AT Instructions | "Walker Assault"

I built this back in 2013. You would have a hard time keeping under $1000.00. Piece count is around 6200.

Edited by ecmo47

I built this back in 2013. You would have a hard time keeping under $1000.00. Piece count is around 6200.

Ouch.

Hi. I have ordered all the parts needed to built this model a year ago. You seem (so far) to be the only on commenting on the quality of those instructions. Have you started building the at-at with those instructions? Do the instructions really help? I must admit I haven't even started building this great model using the ldd files alone...I was expecting some instructions to come out!

I havent started building yet. I just gathered pieces for the head and neck and will go from there. It was tough finding BL stores with all the different pieces. Some of the slopes were tough to source with only a limited number of stores with stock.

I believe the neck and head was around 1000 to 1200 pieces and cost about $250 in parts from about 20 different BL stores.

I hope to start assembly this weekend.

In general, building according to LDD file is really inconvenient even with smaller models. For me the auto generated guide rarely turns out useful, It's almost better to build just with 3D model. manually dividing into sections and then hide/show the bricks.

I can't comment on the quality of these instructions (in terms of logic in steps and comfort it provides) but I think that with all the part cost, it's worth a try :) Could be way better (and less frustrating) building experience.

Really curious to hear Cavegod chime in on this thread. Clearly he gave consent to compile the instructions, but with a set this massive having the ability to acquire the parts list with the manual is a must. If the manual is based off parts from a year ago, CG could have made modifications that do not sync with the manual.

Regardless, Cjd223 I appreciate all the effort you put into this, and once Cavegod has blessed this formally, I'm more than happy to purchase a copy for myself.

This thing is so fragile! I am about to loose it building the head. It just crumbles in my hands as I try to put the sides and pieces together.

You think building the head is bad? Just wait until you try and assemble it all together into one behemoth! It took about 10 tries (and multiple re-builds) for me to finally get it to stand on its own. Once it's finished though, it's truly an impressive sight.

I've considered building this... Have the instructions already started buying some of the bricks... But then I watched a movie of a person who has build it... And got it's unstable as hell... It topples down every day.

And I'm not a BrickPro yet to think of something more sturdy for the legs...

It is perfectly stable, he must have built it wrong.

Yes if it'sknocked it will fall over, but mine has been on display at numerous Lego shows and has never fallen over.

I've considered building this... Have the instructions already started buying some of the bricks... But then I watched a movie of a person who has build it... And got it's unstable as hell... It topples down every day.

And I'm not a BrickPro yet to think of something more sturdy for the legs...

The AT-AT design is an enginering nightmare, because it places all its mass very high. That's something all these builders struggle with mitigating. After 5 years of tweaking and field testing THIS build, I'm sure Cavegod has made it durable enough to put on disply at home. I have a 2 year old, and I just have to put my more delicate items out of reach or in a separate space until he's old enough to understand.

Edited by phaelon

What are the overall dimensions (h/w/d) of it Cjd223/Cavegod? I've looked all over but no one's ever mentioned it.

What are the overall dimensions (h/w/d) of it Cjd223/Cavegod? I've looked all over but no one's ever mentioned it.

I know that it is 28 inches tall, which then I would assume it would be like 36+ inches long and probably like 8-10 inches wide

can you still buy the instructions

Yes! It is a digital file, so they have no time limit

Cjd223 you are da man! I am halfway building this beast and the lack of instructions has holding me back. I will contact you right away!

It seems that a lot of parts on the rebrickable part list are changed with other parts in the instructions... Can you confirm that? I'm talking about part 43708 to name one...

Also I see technic tires used in the manual... But can't seem to find them in the part list either. I presume that this is to make the feet more sturdy?

Thanks in advance

K

Edited by KillerRu

Hi!

I bought those instructions a few months ago.

I bought all the pieces tu build this chef d'oeuvre about a year and a half ago,

but was expecting for instructions like those to appear...

I must say, those instructions are GREAT! they are (almost) as easy to read and follow as some original LEGO instructions.

There are a few mistaks here and there, but nothing worrisome at all.

So far, my son (9) has built the head and neck, the four legs, the internal frame and underbody. No problem at all following the instructions.

Wow, this model will be awesome. Thanks for those incredible instructions! they are well worth the price.

Edited by legocharles

Hi!

I bought those instructions a few months ago.

I bought all the pieces tu build this chef d'oeuvre about a year and a half ago,

but was expecting for instructions like those to appear...

I must say, those instructions are GREAT! they are (almost) as easy to read and follow as some original LEGO instructions.

There are a few mistaks here and there, but nothing worrisome at all.

So far, my son (9) has built the head and neck, the four legs, the internal frame and underbody. No problem at all following the instructions.

Wow, this model will be awesome. Thanks for those incredible instructions! they are well worth the price.

I am so glad that you enjoy the manual! Small technical mistakes probably came up while I was learning the software to make the manual. The fact that your son is abke to build certainly means to me that I achieved what I set out to do, to make this model buildable to more than just AFOLs (which even for AFOLs it was really challenging due to LDD). I would really love to do this again with another MOC, but first I need to make one.

I am so glad that you enjoy the manual! Small technical mistakes probably came up while I was learning the software to make the manual. The fact that your son is abke to build certainly means to me that I achieved what I set out to do, to make this model buildable to more than just AFOLs (which even for AFOLs it was really challenging due to LDD). I would really love to do this again with another MOC, but first I need to make one.

How about you reserve engineer Marshal Banana's new Millennium Falcon and make instructions :tongue::wink:

On topic: The instructions for the AT-AT are great. I started this venture about two/three years are ago and I finally found the motivation to continue with the upper body.

Have you guys seen the review of this build

? Sounds like there are some serious stability issues with the legs if you don't modify them to include technic elements.

Edited by Dapper-D2

Have you guys seen the review of this build

? Sounds like there are some serious stability issues with the legs if you don't modify them to include technic elements.

It's a well known fact that this MOC isn't the most stable of 'em all. However, you don't need Technic elements in the legs. Putting it on base plates will help support/stabilize the upper structure. I'm thinking about adding a wall behind it and turning it into a huge vignette. The wall can be connected to the upper body to keep the thing in place.