Sir Gareth

Doctor Who General Discussion

If LEGO Made Another Doctor Who Set...  

215 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. (After the Tenth) Which Doctor Would You Most Want?

• The Fourth Doctor - Tom Baker
    • The Eighth Doctor - Paul McGann
    • The War Doctor - John Hurt
    • The Ninth Doctor - Christopher Eccleston
  2. 2. Which of the Tenth Doctor's Companions Would You Want?

14 hours ago, PGBQW said:

I just can't see a CMF being done.

With 12 slots you couldn't fit every Doctor. And even if we still had 16 slots to include them, you wouldnt be able to include any companion.

And even if you still could add Doctors and Companions, you still would need to add some monsters and villains.

Like I know it's better than nothing, but I don't think it would be satisfying to get like, what, 4 Doctors? How do you decide which ones to put into the series?

How do you decide which Doctors to put in a CMF? 

How has Hallmark been deciding on what order to release the Doctors as keepsake ornaments? Based on popularity and demand. And in the case of a hypothetical Lego CMF, who goes best alongside similarly popular companions and monsters. 

“This format isn’t big enough to include all the characters at once” is literally the weakest reason why Doctor Who shouldn’t get a CMF. It would also apply even more so to any sets, but that didn’t stop Lego from producing the Ideas set or for everyone here from wanting them to put out more sets. 

All “12 characters isn’t enough for all the Doctors, never mind companions or monsters” means is that Lego has more than enough material to work with, and could easily do more than one series if it’s well received. 

On 8/7/2023 at 1:01 AM, Accio Lego said:

How do you decide which Doctors to put in a CMF? 

How has Hallmark been deciding on what order to release the Doctors as keepsake ornaments? Based on popularity and demand. And in the case of a hypothetical Lego CMF, who goes best alongside similarly popular companions and monsters. 

“This format isn’t big enough to include all the characters at once” is literally the weakest reason why Doctor Who shouldn’t get a CMF. It would also apply even more so to any sets, but that didn’t stop Lego from producing the Ideas set or for everyone here from wanting them to put out more sets. 

All “12 characters isn’t enough for all the Doctors, never mind companions or monsters” means is that Lego has more than enough material to work with, and could easily do more than one series if it’s well received. 

I don't know why you got so mad over that, but sure thing.

Would love to be wrong and get several sets and CMF series, but I just don't see it happening.

3 minutes ago, Pennas2000 said:

I tried... 🤔

He seems to add a like to every comment. :sceptic:

15 hours ago, PGBQW said:

I don't know why you got so mad over that, but sure thing.

Would love to be wrong and get several sets and CMF series, but I just don't see it happening.

Less anger, more overthinking all of it on my own and extra primed for an Internet rant given the right opening I’m afraid 😅

I personally think that if lego does do a full theme for Doctor Who an accompanying cmf sooner or later is a shoe in, simply because Doctor Who has six decades of characters backlogged to choose from, many of them being monsters that would need unique molds. The crux of the matter is if there will be a push for a renewed Doctor Who x Lego partnership. The Disney+ deal and certain interviews suggest an overall merchandising push coming so we can only hope. 

9 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Less anger, more overthinking all of it on my own and extra primed for an Internet rant given the right opening I’m afraid

Ahh, so you're getting high on copium about the theme. Don't worry man we all've been there, I get ya.

9 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

I personally think that if lego does do a full theme for Doctor Who an accompanying cmf sooner or later is a shoe in, simply because Doctor Who has six decades of characters backlogged to choose from, many of them being monsters that would need unique molds. The crux of the matter is if there will be a push for a renewed Doctor Who x Lego partnership. The Disney+ deal and certain interviews suggest an overall merchandising push coming so we can only hope. 

If only! I think if we were to get anything at all, it would most likely be Tennant + Whatever the current doctor is on air during the production of the sets, as they'd want to have the "most popular one" and, well, the current Doctor.

We already got Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi, so I guess they'd take a bakseat during a potential first wave?

Thing is, we have like, 16 Doctors counting John Hurt?

I know they could do several waves, but 16 minifigs is a huge deal already, and we're discussing only one character!

Maybe they could combine 9 and 10 in the same set (and do that with a couple other Doctors), but you can only sell so many Tardis' interiors.

My pipe dream would be to get the 1st and 2nd Doctors in sets, and a black and white version of them in a CMF. Or the other way around, I dont mind the details.

On a second thought, this is very easy to solve if the sets are just random Doctors teamups against random DW monsters.

Like Doctors 1 and 9 agains a Cyberman army or 8 and 12 against a warrior for mars.

7 hours ago, PGBQW said:

On a second thought, this is very easy to solve if the sets are just random Doctors teamups against random DW monsters.

Like Doctors 1 and 9 agains a Cyberman army or 8 and 12 against a warrior for mars.

10, 11, and War against zygons is already canon - with the added bonus of ‘Rose’ alongside Clara and the UNIT team. If that was made and sold well it wouldn’t shock me if lego was given free rein to be creative, and you know they like to beat a gimmick to death (gestures at superhero mechs). 

Just a curious question, if Lego did make more Doctor who sets how many would everyone here get? I would mortgage my house and buy everything i saw even if the sets were okay. 

I went pretty hard on the Ideas set and the 2 dimensions and would 100% get anything they released. 

13 minutes ago, Pennas2000 said:

Just a curious question, if Lego did make more Doctor who sets how many would everyone here get? I would mortgage my house and buy everything i saw even if the sets were okay. 

I went pretty hard on the Ideas set and the 2 dimensions and would 100% get anything they released. 

It would probably depend on the kind of sets, I’ve never been interested in brickheadz but I’d absolutely have to collect any minifigure based sets and they could probably sucker me into buying a UCS Dalek or TARDIS if they made one. 

My dream list of sets would be a classic interior (don't mind which one), 9/10's interior and then maybe whatever the current interior is. Ideally I'd like Capaldi's interior, but given the Ideas set, I don't think we would see much from Smith/Capaldi. Then a CMF series with 11,12,13,14, Martha, Donna, Cyberman, Weeping Angel, Missy, Riversong, then maybe a couple of the classic doctors, depending on which ones aren't included in the classic interior set. 

But in all likelihood, we'd probably only get one set to start off with. Lets hope RTD has got something in the works. 

Edit: This video from Brickfanatics addresses the cmf 'Space' rumours. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSJb55Ac8nE&ab_channel=BrickFanatics

Edited by JACKATTACKS

7 hours ago, Pennas2000 said:

I'd buy a minifig of Tom Baker and maybe a K-9 if it is a reasonable molded piece and not brick built. 

19 hours ago, Pennas2000 said:

I would get at least one of each of them, maybe multiples of certain ones, depending of what was made.

20 hours ago, Pennas2000 said:

As other have said, depends on what was made.

On 8/10/2023 at 12:47 AM, Pennas2000 said:

One of each at a minimum.

More if it were things like Battlepacks or TARDIS exteriors (as I would LOVE to have one for each Doctor...And non-canon Doctors...And each modular...And-)

Listen. I have 24 (or more) real Cybermen figures. I would happily triple that in LEGO form.

Daleks it entirely depends. Cult of Skaro and Imperials? Yes please! Skaro MK2 Travel Machines? Sure, I'd like a few. Renegades, Rainbows? Maybe a few.

If it were things like interiors and setpieces, it, again, depends.
If they redone the Ideas set, I'd grab another so I could colour-swap the Time Roter to make it orange like Capaldi, if they done Tens, I'd probably buy that twice to make a Paradox Machine.

Dr Who would suit a couple of CMF series very well, as many of the monsters are humanoids and therefore fit the standard Minifigure template. It would also be the best way to cover the cost of the new monster head moulds and new hat/hair combos for the classic doctors etc. 

For regular sets it’s hard to narrow it down as each episode is different but I can think of a couple of sets which should go down well with fans: 

The Emperor of the Daleks, $50-$60: based on the final of the 2005 revival, comes with 9th doctor, Rose, Jack Harkness, two normal Daleks and a large brick built emperor.

$20-$30 The Impossible Planet: Ood attack. 10th Doctor in red space suit, Ood x2, Toby Zed with reversible face with the writing and evil grin, smallish build of the sanctuary base laboratory with an airlock and the yellow lift. 

$15-$20 Bessie the Doctors car. 3rd Doctor, Joe, the master (Classic)

Torchwood Tower UCS modular building (Canary Wharf): ~$300. Based on the series 2 final. Includes the 10th Doctor cybermen, 3 Daleks including the black one and the genesis ark, Rose, Micky, Rose’s mum, Yvonne HartmanTorchwood scientists and soldiers etc. 

On 11/7/2023 at 3:40 PM, Bugbot20082 said:

For regular sets it’s hard to narrow it down as each episode is different but I can think of a couple of sets which should go down well with fans: 

The Emperor of the Daleks, $50-$60: based on the final of the 2005 revival, comes with 9th doctor, Rose, Jack Harkness, two normal Daleks and a large brick built emperor.

$20-$30 The Impossible Planet: Ood attack. 10th Doctor in red space suit, Ood x2, Toby Zed with reversible face with the writing and evil grin, smallish build of the sanctuary base laboratory with an airlock and the yellow lift. 

$15-$20 Bessie the Doctors car. 3rd Doctor, Joe, the master (Classic)

Torchwood Tower UCS modular building (Canary Wharf): ~$300. Based on the series 2 final. Includes the 10th Doctor cybermen, 3 Daleks including the black one and the genesis ark, Rose, Micky, Rose’s mum, Yvonne HartmanTorchwood scientists and soldiers etc. 

I think if ever Lego did explore a Doctor Who theme, their best approach would be to make sets not based on any specific episodes, but rather pitting the Doctor and company against an assortment of monsters. You could have, for example, a wave of six sets:

Bessie - a great idea for a set, as it's not really episode specific. Naturally including the Third Doctor, Jo Grant and the Delgado Master.

Cyberman Attack - featuring some Cybermen, a mini-build, and perhaps the Second Doctor, Jamie and Victoria (the team from the greatest Cybermen adventure)

- UNIT Truck - featuring the Brigadier, a generic UNIT soldier, an Auton and the Twelfth Doctor

- Trouble in Space - featuring the Seventh Doctor, Ace, a Space Captain and a Vervoid

- Dalek Battle - featuring the Fourth Doctor, the Fifth Doctor, Sarah-Jane, Tegan and several Daleks

The TARDIS - as it was under Tennant, featuring the Ninth Doctor, Tenth Doctor, Rose, Martha, Captain Jack and the Simm Master

The second wave could then 'clean up', featuring the remaining Doctors in various scenarios against Sontarans, Zygons, Weeping Angels, etc. and leaving Collectible Minifigures for other cool characters/unique variants. For example:

1. The Tenth Doctor with his 3D glasses (got to get Tennant in a CMF)
  2. Missy
  3. Mondas Cyberman
  4. Davros
  5. Mickey Smith
  6. Clockwork Robot
  7. Rory as a Centurion
  8. River Song
  9. Sutekh
  10. Haemovore
  11. Governess Clara
  12. The Kandyman

And depending on the popularity of the theme, once you've covered the bases you can then fill in the gaps with repeats of popular monsters/less well-known but still cool monsters. For instance, how cool would a Sandminer playset with some Voc robots be? Really unique aesthetic for a Lego set. Equally, a wave with a couple of Gallifrey-based sets could make use of the new mould needed for the ornate wear.

20 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I think if ever Lego did explore a Doctor Who theme, their best approach would be to make sets not based on any specific episodes, but rather pitting the Doctor and company against an assortment of monsters. You could have, for example, a wave of six sets:

Bessie - a great idea for a set, as it's not really episode specific. Naturally including the Third Doctor, Jo Grant and the Delgado Master.

Cyberman Attack - featuring some Cybermen, a mini-build, and perhaps the Second Doctor, Jamie and Victoria (the team from the greatest Cybermen adventure)

- UNIT Truck - featuring the Brigadier, a generic UNIT soldier, an Auton and the Twelfth Doctor

- Trouble in Space - featuring the Seventh Doctor, Ace, a Space Captain and a Vervoid

- Dalek Battle - featuring the Fourth Doctor, the Fifth Doctor, Sarah-Jane, Tegan and several Daleks

The TARDIS - as it was under Tennant, featuring the Ninth Doctor, Tenth Doctor, Rose, Martha, Captain Jack and the Simm Master

The second wave could then 'clean up', featuring the remaining Doctors in various scenarios against Sontarans, Zygons, Weeping Angels, etc. and leaving Collectible Minifigures for other cool characters/unique variants. For example:

1. The Tenth Doctor with his 3D glasses (got to get Tennant in a CMF)
  2. Missy
  3. Mondas Cyberman
  4. Davros
  5. Mickey Smith
  6. Clockwork Robot
  7. Rory as a Centurion
  8. River Song
  9. Sutekh
  10. Haemovore
  11. Governess Clara
  12. The Kandyman

And depending on the popularity of the theme, once you've covered the bases you can then fill in the gaps with repeats of popular monsters/less well-known but still cool monsters. For instance, how cool would a Sandminer playset with some Voc robots be? Really unique aesthetic for a Lego set. Equally, a wave with a couple of Gallifrey-based sets could make use of the new mould needed for the ornate wear.

I need Bessie to exist! And, If we get a Kandyman (highly unlikely, IMO), I want to a pink TARDIS simply so Unikitty can have her own. Why, you ask? Why NOT have her spread happiness and joy around time / space!

(However, then I'll have to have Master Frown from the Unikitty TV show team up with The Master as well...)

@Lion King If you really want them, K-9 exists already and Sarah Jane Smith shouldn't be hard to MOC up.

Edited by Murdoch17

14 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

@Lion King If you really want them, K-9 exists already and Sarah Jane Smith shouldn't be hard to MOC up.

Thanks……

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I need Bessie to exist!

Honestly, Bessie is probably the only thing other than the TARDIS that you could realistically do as a set without tying it to a specific story. It's not really a show which has many iconic vehicles.

11 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Honestly, Bessie is probably the only thing other than the TARDIS that you could realistically do as a set without tying it to a specific story. It's not really a show which has many iconic vehicles.

Yeah, that’s the big challenge I think - it’s pretty easy to put together more generic minifigure packs that group together Doctors with their companions and a few enemies, but once you get to the actual lego builds you generally need to draw on more story specific material unless you want to try and sell multiple versions of the TARDIS at once. 

That’s why I’m more inclined to imagine past Doctors getting representation in CMFs, or perhaps a large Collectors Edition TARDIS that opens up to reveal multiple versions of the console room containing their respective Doctors and companions - released alongside a more kid friendly wave of playsets based on the currently running series. 

Speaking of currently running series - I’ve seen rumors of an 8th Doctor spinoff series (with the same BBC/Disney+ distribution as the main series) going around. Anyone else hear about that? And do we think it’s a good sign for prospective merchandising that there’s apparently already enough faith in how well the new era will go that they’re already getting people to sign on for a spinoff?

2 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Speaking of currently running series - I’ve seen rumors of an 8th Doctor spinoff series (with the same BBC/Disney+ distribution as the main series) going around. Anyone else hear about that? And do we think it’s a good sign for prospective merchandising that there’s apparently already enough faith in how well the new era will go that they’re already getting people to sign on for a spinoff?

I've seen rumours but afaik the source is the Mirror, who are generally spot-on with animation news as one of their correspondents has a source within the Restoration Team, but are hit and miss at best with regular news.

Honestly, I'm really worried about the new era. Most of my casual watcher friends stopped watching during the Matt Smith era (a few stuck around into early Capaldi) and most of my hardcore fan friends stopped watching during the Chibnall disasterclass (I did myself, but it was and remains specifically a Chibnall boycott; I never stopped watching older stuff and was always going to return when a new showrunner was in charge). I'm not sure how many of those people are going to return, but there seem to be mixed messages about whether they're targeting older fans (by bringing back a beloved Doctor, and apparently having the events of a series fifteen years ago be important to understanding the special) or going for a clean slate (by trying to call it "Season 1" again, which is never going to stick). This - and the concept of having Tennant be the Doctor again - makes me worried that Russell T Davies has stepped in again to save a show he loves (a bit like JNT, but with the 'loving the show' part) and is making decisions to claw back eyeballs rather than because he has genuine ideas.

We've seen this before. When the show was floundering under JNT and Eric Saward, the BBC almost cancelled it. Look at the first Sylvester McCoy season, where comedy and 'big name' guest stars (Ken Dodd, for example) took priority over compelling storytelling. And compare that to the last Sylvester McCoy season, where good storytelling was clearly the foremost priority. The final season is universally better received than the first McCoy; it was that first season, chasing eyeballs with some terrible stories, that dealt the final fatal blow to the show before.

Cynically, I wonder if bringing back Paul McGann for a run is another attempt to get eyeballs, because they're chasing numbers over quality.

Doctor Who... is back! I won't spoil anything, but it's as mad and fun as ever!

I don't know how well it will resonate with more casual viewers; the new specials being a sequel to a fifteen-year-old story might be confusing to many, but I really hope this revival reignites interest in the franchise... and obviously results in more Lego Doctor Who! When fans create wish-lists of hypothetical DW CMFs, expect the Meep to feature prominently!

On 11/25/2023 at 4:06 PM, Felkin said:

Doctor Who... is back! I won't spoil anything, but it's as mad and fun as ever!

I don't know how well it will resonate with more casual viewers; the new specials being a sequel to a fifteen-year-old story might be confusing to many, but I really hope this revival reignites interest in the franchise... and obviously results in more Lego Doctor Who! When fans create wish-lists of hypothetical DW CMFs, expect the Meep to feature prominently!

Nice that Doctor Who is back to its former glory! Hoping LEGO eventually makes new products for it.

14 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Nice that Doctor Who is back to its former glory! Hoping LEGO eventually makes new products for it.

Here's hoping the new season next year is as popular as we all hope, and that the BBC's partnership with Disney means that merchandising options such as Lego sets are on the horizon! Disney isn't shy about cashing in with merchandise, they'll want to make back the money they've invested, so I have to hope that more DW Lego is on the way! (Probably in 2025, once they're sure the new series is popular worldwide, and to tie-in with Ncuti Gatwa's second season which is currently filming for a suggested spring 2025 release.)