BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

1 hour ago, Flak Maniak said:

So wait, some of you are alluding to the Creator castle having Black Falcons; has that been confirmed? And is there much new info about it at any rate?

A page or so back someone linked some information about the 3-in-1 including that the main build is similar to the Black Falcons fortress. I think we've just assumed that means the Black Falcons are coming again. 

5 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

A page or so back someone linked some information about the 3-in-1 including that the main build is similar to the Black Falcons fortress. I think we've just assumed that means the Black Falcons are coming again. 

It was a little more explicit than that.  The instagram leaks said the 3-in-1 set contained two Black Falcon Knights and a civilian.  There were no pictures so it isn't 100% confirmed, but it was quoted by some relatively reliable IG leakers.

It only makes sense for a 3-in-1 creator set that they will use whatever is available now.  I won't complain since these new black falcons are only available in a $100 and a $150 set.  They will not be widely available to get in large numbers at any rate, unless they are available on pick a brick or BAM.  

playmobl makes castle with wall and a keep. The front is like a normal lego castle, but there is a keep, stable and prison the keep does not have a interior, but they give you interior peices so  you can add a interior playmobil castle lion knights - Google Search | Playmobil chevalier,  Activite enfant, Château fortTower extension for Royal Lion Knight's Castle and Playmobil Add-On SeriesPlaymobil 7470 Castle Treasury Interior by Playmobil. $28.00. Ages 4 and  up. CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for c… | Toy castle, Toys games,  Action figures toysPlaymobil #7469 Castle Kitchen Interior NEW! | #112109484

12 minutes ago, valon said:

playmobl makes castle with wall and a keep. The front is like a normal lego castle, but there is a keep, stable and prison the keep does not have a interior

I forgot how nice Playmobil toys look, I didn't own any besides a small castle but I always wanted one of their trainsets

The one store in my town that actually carried Playmobil closed down, so the only building toys available are Lego and Mega Construx.  I'm looking forward to this Lego castle anyway.  It'll probably make a nice parts pack for building my own castles.

70404-1.png

Yes those playmobil sets are very similar to what lego offered in 2010 and 2013.

I had forgotten the tan base bricks, the wood effects in the gatehouse, and the fact that the catapult had brown rocks which IMHO made it look like they were firing logs into the enemy castle. None of which, I was a fan of.  

I did like the asymmetry of the castle.  The drawbridge design was very functional.  However, my favorite thing from that set was how the flags were made so they hang properly when on a diagonal flag pole. 

I didn't mind the raised baseplates back in the day.  However, I really don't want to store any more of them tucked away with my unused LEGO stuff.  IMHO they can stay away from them for, for, forever.  

1 hour ago, DaleDVM said:

IMHO they can stay away from them for, for, forever.  

If Lego ever resurrect raised plates, I'll happily buy your unwanted ones from you! :pir-laugh:

Is anyone else confused as to where the ladder at the back of that castle is going to? I get the first part, to clamber onto the battlements - but the second half just seems to stick into the air. Is it to give the defenders extra height, so they look like giants and the besieging forces get scared?

playmobile castle have a keep, lego castle normally just have a tower. The playmobile castles also have more interior. also there are expansion for playmobile castle

I prefer castles without the raised baseplate, as you get a much better price per part ratio without it.

EDIT:  If lego were to bring back Castle, maybe they could have the main part of the castle and the keep available as two separate sets.  Kind of like how "The Gatehouse Raid" could connect to the castle from 2013.

Edited by SerenityInFire
your mom

1 hour ago, valon said:

playmobile castle have a keep, lego castle normally just have a tower. The playmobile castles also have more interior. also there are expansion for playmobile castle

There is a keep in the one I posted (the throne room). Kids don't care whether it is free standing or attached to a wall. Putting it into the wall gives more play space inside the castle walls. Of course playmobil castles have more interior, they are large molded parts so can easily be assembled. To make a lego one at the same scale would be cost prohibitive as a kids' playset. Expansions are also available for LEGO castles. This for example can easily be incorporated into the 2013 Blue castle.

70402-1.png

I always thought that breaking up the big castle into smaller sets would give a more varied play value. Several of us have suggested that a more modular design would appeal better.

3 hours ago, gedren_y said:

I always thought that breaking up the big castle into smaller sets would give a more varied play value. Several of us have suggested that a more modular design would appeal better.

This comes with the added benefit that if one part of the castle looks terrible, we the consumers don't have to choose between buying an ugly castle or not getting the castle at all - we can just skip over the terrible parts.

As a downside, though, there would be less space for civilian-focused sets. They already struggle for representation in Castle themes.

4 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

This comes with the added benefit that if one part of the castle looks terrible, we the consumers don't have to choose between buying an ugly castle or not getting the castle at all - we can just skip over the terrible parts.

As a downside, though, there would be less space for civilian-focused sets. They already struggle for representation in Castle themes.

There are ways to include civilians. One wall could have stables on the interior, which would suggest a hostler to take care of the horses. One wall could have the castle kitchens, which means cook, and probably a page. The Gatehouse would be best for the barracks, but a small cart with driver to go through the gate would make sense. One tower would be a Wizard's tower, and it could include a peasant getting treated for some illness (two- sided face, sick and smiling). Then you could have as the main keep be the biggest set, but with a width that makes it replaceable with two wall sections. The keep would open up with hinges, have a great hall, probably royal chambers, and a variety of figs.

I envision such a theme using Technic pins to connect all the sections, but covered up with small sub-builds that can be removed, and put together, to form some extra bit of scenery when the main build gets added to the castle. This would probably up the parts count so that most of the walls and towers would be $20, $30, and even $40 sets. Then the smaller sets could be a host of enemy sets, civilian traders, a carriage, and likely some knightly training sets.

3 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Then the smaller sets could be a host of enemy sets, civilian traders, a carriage, and likely some knightly training sets.

You're right - there's plenty of room for civilians even in a modular castle theme. And to be honest, the end-product would likely be a better looking castle and some better-looking sets to go along with it.

I'd be happy to see a Blacksmith-style set every year as the civilian "companion piece" to a castle theme, with the result of three or four years' sets being a big castle and a tidy village around it.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:46 AM, DaleDVM said:

I know that 13 or so years ago when talking with a LEGO employee they shared that the focus groups of children really liked when castle had a faction of good guys and an obvious bad guy enemy instead of two opposing knight factions.  That was why the crownie knights first fought against skeletons and then against the trolls.  Note that they have carried that over in the action themes.  Most bad guys aren't even based on humans at all.  

That is why I would expect any big castle release to include fantasy elements.  This isn't strictly what I want, but if it makes castle sell so I can get more factions and sets over more years, I am all for it.

Human baddies are still not unheard of even in "action themes", though. The villains in the Agents and Ultra Agents theme were human, as were a lot of Ninjago's antagonists in seasons 4, 6, 8, and 9 (Anacondrai Warriors, Elemental Masters, Sky Pirates, Sons of Garmadon, and Dragon Hunters). That said, you're correct that even many of those factions tend to incorporate fantasy or sci-fi design cues like cybernetic enhancements, colorful glowing eyes, superhuman mutations, or tattoos/war paint.

As such, I don't think human baddies would be outside the realm of possibility for a future Castle theme, even one that also includes non-human factions or other fantasy elements.

On 3/3/2021 at 11:26 AM, MAB said:

I don't think they were trying to copy their old designs, more that this is what many kids would think of as a castle. They want towers, a gate and/or portcullis, they want a large area inside the "castle" to play.  So give a kid the choice between castle walls with some interior, or just a castle keep made from the same number of bricks, and I imagine many would go for the walls instead of the keep. 

Agreed — especially since a lot of 80s Castle sets were LESS "square" by default than the 2010 and 2013 "King's Castle" since they incorporated hinges (not just pins) as a way to modify their layout or combine multiple sets. If anything, I think the rectangular layout of the more recent LEGO castles probably to allow for a "modular" design that was still sturdy enough to lift up without taking it apart into its component modules, and could be arranged in several different ways without parts becoming misaligned (a very real risk when a model includes "off-grid" angles).

That said, I agree that a less squared-off Castle design would be wonderful to see, and there are many parts which can facilitate that sort of building which didn't exist in 2013 or earlier. For instance, the "A-frame" plate (15706) introduced in 2014 can add 45-degree angles in a sturdier, more rigid manner than a typical hinge-based approach.

There are also many curved plates, tiles, and wall panels introduced in recent years which allow for towers with less of a square or octagonal look than traditional LEGO castles, while maintaining the stability, playable interiors, and ease of assembly which make LEGO castles so enjoyable even for kids. You could even cap one of those towers with a conical roof using parts like 48310 and 38317, with shallower slopes like 95188 for the overhanging eaves.

20 hours ago, Rattlebricks said:

Lego should include raised baseplate again like 6081, 6082, 6086,  6090 instead of a hollow castle.

Honestly, I think raised baseplates are something that's better off left in the past — there are plenty of ways to create varied terrain that are both more affordable to include in sets and less reliant on one massive specialized piece that the rest of the structure has to conform to. For instance, mountain bricks like 23996 and 6082 (together with more basic bricks, plates, and panels) can create a lovely mountainous foundation with much more customization potential AND usable interior space than raised baseplates can offer (plus, with less likelihood of the part physically breaking if stepped on than parts like the old ramp-and-pit baseplate).

I say this as a 90s kid whose childhood favorite sets often included raised baseplates — they were certainly awesome for their time, but like a lot of parts back then, their size and specificity weakened both their creative potential and the building experience of sets that included them. LEGO today has evolved beyond the need for parts of that sort.

Edited by Aanchir

21 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

For instance, mountain bricks like 23996 and 6082 (together with more basic bricks, plates, and panels) can create a lovely mountainous foundation with much more customization potential AND usable interior space than raised baseplates can offer (plus, with less likelihood of the part physically breaking if stepped on than parts like the old ramp-and-pit baseplate).

I love to see voices in support of the big rock pieces. Are they ugly? Yes, I suppose so. But they're a great way to quickly add bulk to terrain, and it doesn't take much to disguise them. A few well-placed slopes and some foliage, and a big rock piece doesn't look like a big rock piece. In terms of Lego designing sets, using those pieces allows the designer to get to the point of the set they're making without padding the parts-count just to create the terrain. An example which just happens to be in front of me as I write is the 6494 Mystic Mountain Time Lab, from the old Time Cruisers range, which has no less than seven rock pieces. Do they look like rock pieces? Yes - but they convey the fact that the lab is set into the mountains while still allowing the majority of the parts to be put towards the build itself rather than its mountainous base.

I wouldn't say no to the return of raised baseplates (I'm in exactly the right age bracket that all the big sets growing up seemed to have raised baseplates, but by the time I was old enough to afford big sets the raised baseplate was a relic of the past) but I can appreciate why that isn't likely. But rock pieces? Yes please! Their biggest problem is the relative rarity nowadays (the triangular rock piece has only been in two sets since 2017) which means that people like me who emerge from their Dark Ages can't easily get hold of the new colours. For example, I currently have ten of the old dark grey triangular rocks (and some light greys) and exactly zero of the dark bluish greys. Getting a decent supply of the new colour is difficult given the vast majority of its sets are off the market (I suspect 2019's set is lingering in shops somewhere still) but Lego recently came out with part 23996, the perfect companion piece... in only the new colour.

If they were to release a Castle theme (or... just about any theme, really) with a healthy supply of rock pieces, big and small and in between, I would be one very happy girl.

5 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

came out with part 23996, the perfect companion piece... in only the new colour.

Oof... wasnt even aware we got a new ugly rock piece :)

1 minute ago, Poco Lypso said:

Oof... wasnt even aware we got a new ugly rock piece :)

I'd love to see the reactions if Lego came out with a castle set on a raised baseplate, with a dozen rock pieces, the castle walls made entirely out of panels, and the Great Hall open to the elements a la the Night Lord's Castle. That's exactly the sort of set I would eat up - but I suspect the prevailing mood on EB would be a little different. :knight:

4 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I'd love to see the reactions if Lego came out with a castle set on a raised baseplate, with a dozen rock pieces, the castle walls made entirely out of panels, and the Great Hall open to the elements a la the Night Lord's Castle. That's exactly the sort of set I would eat up - but I suspect the prevailing mood on EB would be a little different. :knight:

They probably avoid raised baseplate or even standard big baseplate to cut production cost.  I have Castle Siege  and I put 48 x 48 baseplate behind it and looks way better than hollow center.

Edited by Brick_Rattlehead

14 hours ago, gedren_y said:

There is always a downside that one set sells out causing disappointment when parents cannot buy their kid the part they need to complete their castle. If one set had animals or good army builders for example, that might get stripped from the shelves due to bulk buying, affecting sales of the rest of the sets. Managing stocks of multiple sets that link together would be difficult.

8 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

BURPS and panels are great when playing "attack the castle" with kids. You can knock their castle down and they can rebuild it very quickly. Especially if they put panels on top of each other so they have no interlocking strength.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Managing stocks of multiple sets that link together would be difficult.

All you need to do is take sales ratio into account and produce accordingly! 

Albeit the 2013 linked castle sets were sort of meaningless imo - I am not sure adding a gatehouse INTO the castle made any sense.

Although I don't like this particular castle too much I have to admit the competition has a better concept here:

https://www.bluebrixx.com/en/bluebrixxspecials/102818/Bluestone-Castle-BlueBrixx-Special

https://www.bluebrixx.com/en/bluebrixxspecials/103406/castle-keep-extension-for-Blaustein-Castle-BlueBrixx-Special

On 3/5/2021 at 8:25 AM, Alexandrina said:

If Lego ever resurrect raised plates, I'll happily buy your unwanted ones from you! :pir-laugh:

Is anyone else confused as to where the ladder at the back of that castle is going to? I get the first part, to clamber onto the battlements - but the second half just seems to stick into the air. Is it to give the defenders extra height, so they look like giants and the besieging forces get scared?

The ladder reaches up to the prison cell (kind of)  I thought it was odd when I built the set too.  

If my old castle sets were still complete sets afterwards, I would gladly separate from the raised baseplates.  As a homage to raised baseplates you can see my sigfig and the raised baseplate from 
6079-1.png

are set up as my avatar.