Sign in to follow this  
Dread Pirate Rob

Can you build 7760 out of 60052?

I have been in a building mood lately and have noticed a few people saying they would like to MOC but don't know where to start (and don't want to mix up the bricks from their sets). The solution to both problems is with the old 'alternate builds' from the 80s:)

16538686903_d5385b9292_n.jpg

This great photo is by Flickr user Zoltán Becsei

I'm not the first see an opportunity to make a 7760 style shunter using 60052 parts. There is also a particularly excellent one by reinstein here:

https://flic.kr/p/9KrZRe

but as far as I can tell no one has made a PF shunter only using the parts found in the blue diesel.

So, I'm throwing out the challenge, can you make a PF shunter using only the parts found in the blue diesel?

20397704271_c5c3e34623_n.jpg20203545478_f9aeda99cc_n.jpg20204980559_152e1a086e_n.jpg

This took me about two hours to do and was much cheaper than going to the pub for my Saturday afternoon:)

To help people who would like to get into MOCing I have uploaded the in-progress photos of my build into Flickr so you can see the silly mistakes I made and the things that just didn't work along the way. Laughter is positively encouraged.

Here are a couple of the progress shots.

19768899514_7319dfc607.jpg

19770633743_1aebaf33c6.jpg

20203620618_e315706df5.jpg

20205436269_701ea686a2.jpg

20387618662_6fc5255755.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/w87Z5G

So. I'm not exactly happy with the nose... but I can't see another way to do it without raiding my brickstash.

Please feel free to post your builds in this thread if you are keen to give it a go.

Edited by Dread Pirate Rob

That's really very good with the limited parts stash.

I like the idea of alternate builds, always found them fascinating and/or downright odd back when Lego used to put them on the boxes.

Good work. Brick on!

I like the idea of alternate builds, always found them fascinating and/or downright odd back when Lego used to put them on the boxes.

Thank you, yes, some of them were odder than this one. My favourite was the postie bike with the side car that they managed to make alternate models for. I think it only had about 8 parts:)

Neat. Looks like a Chibi locomotive. :classic:

Bwahaha...

Cheers, I think that is slighly higher praise than my wife, who said it belonged on Chuggington...

This build was bugging me all last night, there has to be a better way of doing it. Any ideas?

Well, this is my favorite alternate build out of 60052 (but I'm biased, grin), and you would need to bring in a lot of additional parts. With all of the specialized parts and the rainbow of colors in sets these days, making something that looks good without bringing in more parts is VERY challenging (or for some larger sets not setting aside a lot of the parts in the set to make a tiny cool thing). So within all of these constraints I think you've done a fantastic job. Looking at your build and wandering slightly off topic I can't help but wonder how cool that would look in a strictly light and dark gray build.

Has anyone made an LDD file for 60052? I would like to have a go at this, but I haven't purchased that set.

Are the rules to only use the parts that make up the engine? Or can we use all the parts that come in that particular set?

Bwahaha...

Cheers, I think that is slighly higher praise than my wife, who said it belonged on Chuggington...

This build was bugging me all last night, there has to be a better way of doing it. Any ideas?

I meant Chibi in a good way. It's a popular Japanese style. I made a bunch of Chibi Star Wars MOCs for May 4th a couple years ago.

An improvement would be to make some blue stickers to cover over the grey on the battery box and IR receiver.

Why not try building a blue 4563:ish loco ? That's also a classic design, and I think your chances of coming close (designwise) are much better.

To be honest I don't see any 7760 genes in your current model.

Well, this is my favorite alternate build out of 60052 (but I'm biased, grin), and you would need to bring in a lot of additional parts. With all of the specialized parts and the rainbow of colors in sets these days, making something that looks good without bringing in more parts is VERY challenging (or for some larger sets not setting aside a lot of the parts in the set to make a tiny cool thing). So within all of these constraints I think you've done a fantastic job. Looking at your build and wandering slightly off topic I can't help but wonder how cool that would look in a strictly light and dark gray build.

Why not try building a blue 4563:ish loco ? That's also a classic design, and I think your chances of coming close (designwise) are much better.

To be honest I don't see any 7760 genes in your current model.

Well I think I have my answer:

If you want to improve 60052, it is pretty hard to top Zephyr's work: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108434

If you want to do 7760 in PF, follow Selander http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55729

or Reinstein http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59708

Thanks guys, looks like once more its time for Bricklink:)

Rob