VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

That shouldn't be reason for worry. Canada makes a whole bunch of high-quality cartoons.

They also make a whole lot of mediocre and bad cartoons. (Johnny Test, anybody?)

The poster looks fantastic! I can't wait to watch it next week. I'm still not sold on Umarak's voice, it should be dark and brooding and he shouldn't speak much. Like Darth Maul. I think evil shadow beings should be this way in general, not Starscream-sounding. Hopefully his destroyer form will be like this, if he even talks at all in that form. It's gonna be hard to wait until July for the second half of the miniseries.

I'm not sure if I'm familiar with any Canadian cartoons so I can't comment on their quality. Just based on the videos we've seen, the action should be good at least. hopefully the story and writing will be decent.

Also, who else here prefers to pronouce Umarak as (u-MAR-ik) as opposed to (U-ma-RAK) as it is actually pronounced. I just like the way I say it better, it just sounds more realistic or something.

Edited by ToaDraco

Also, who else here prefers to pronouce Umarak as (u-MAR-ik) as opposed to (U-ma-RAK) as it is actually pronounced. I just like the way I say it better, it just sounds more realistic or something.

before the actual way came out, is saw it as you-m-air-ik.(that might not make sense) I've got no problem with the proper pronunciation, I just thought of it like that before we had actually got confirmation. Edited by arc

There is a new trailer for Journey to One on the Netflix page. Only people with Netflix accounts can watch it though.

There is a new trailer for Journey to One on the Netflix page. Only people with Netflix accounts can watch it though.

Something new in it? Someone have Netflx account?

The poster looks fantastic! I can't wait to watch it next week. I'm still not sold on Umarak's voice, it should be dark and brooding and he shouldn't speak much. Like Darth Maul. I think evil shadow beings should be this way in general, not Starscream-sounding. Hopefully his destroyer form will be like this, if he even talks at all in that form. It's gonna be hard to wait until July for the second half of the miniseries.

I'm not sure if I'm familiar with any Canadian cartoons so I can't comment on their quality. Just based on the videos we've seen, the action should be good at least. hopefully the story and writing will be decent.

I've always pronounced it as the latter and I'm glad it's the official pronunciation. It sounds more menacing and realistic to me at least.

Something new in it? Someone have Netflx account?

There are some new interesting scenes, like this one or this one. I don't have a Netflix account so I can't say if there's anything more. I hope someone will eventually upload this trailer somewhere else.

The trailer basically showed the the Toa landing on the planet (Transformer protoform style) and then the announcer just went over all six, so he would say "Tahu Toa of Fire" and you would see tahu surfing on lava and doing s flip. No voices other than the announcer.

Huh. Check it out, another landmass. Hopefully that's not just artistic license. Really broadens to scope of world.

Also, Okoto is more of a continent that an island. That's a pretty big place.

Also, Okoto is more of a continent that an island. That's a pretty big place.

Or a planet is tiny.

Also, maybe another island/continent, what we can see on screenshot is a Labyrinth of Control?

Okoto is small enough that the Toa managed to travel it in a relatively short amount of time in 2015's story, so that "planet" appears to be smaller than Pluto, and way too small for it to even have a semblance of a round shape. Calling it now, as with G1, this is the result of something unnatural, possibly the power of the Mask of Creation being sent back in time using the Mask of Time.

Also, maybe another island/continent, what we can see on screenshot is a Labyrinth of Control?

It is too far from the Okoto and too large.

Edited by Alexander The Great

Okoto is small enough that the Toa managed to travel it in a relatively short amount of time in 2015's story, so that "planet" appears to be smaller than Pluto, and way too small for it to even have a semblance of a round shape. Calling it now, as with G1, this is the result of something unnatural, possibly the power of the Mask of Creation being sent back in time using the Mask of Time.

I doubt the story team really cares about scientific backing. :P

Also, Ryder Windham said that it would take weeks to travel across the island, so it's pretty big. Plus it was never said how long it took the Toa to travel. I'm sure a lot of the travel time was cut for convenience.

I think the much more likely explanation is that the writers have no sense of scale, as with G1 and the totally implausible scale of both the Mata Nui Robot and Spherus Magna. Visually, it makes more sense to have Okoto take up a large portion of the planet's surface in that shot, considering that it is the focus of the shot and otherwise would be much less visible. It may not make as much sense geologically, but I doubt any of the writers or artists were all that concerned about their fantasy island planet adhering to real-life geological principles.

Kalhiki's point above is also valid. A lot of the travel across Okoto in last year's animations was limited to brief snippets or montages, when it was even shown in the first place. The other side stories we've gotten suggest that there was plenty of time spent just getting from place to place in last year's story.

I doubt the story team really cares about scientific backing. :P

Also, Ryder Windham said that it would take weeks to travel across the island, so it's pretty big. Plus it was never said how long it took the Toa to travel. I'm sure a lot of the travel time was cut for convenience.

Yeah, according to the webisodes, the Toa "travelled for weeks". That's pretty long if you ask me.

Distance doesn't matter. At least, they can fly\swim\something else.

And it not so large

The fact that they can do smth doesn't mean that it makes sense.

And it is too large. The maze should be about the size of a city. Cities can't be seen from space.

I just had a pretty neat idea for a possible continuation of the story past 2017. What if they reveal that the all the inhabitants of Okoto and the Toa were built by a group alien scientists but were dumped there after they developed sentience. And then the scientists, upon realizing the mistake they made by dumping them after they developed sentience, build a group of robotic repo-men and send them to the planet to round up the inhabitants and bring back to their creators for more research. And the repo-team's identity? None other than remade versions of the Slizers, of course. So pretty much, Bionicle vs. Slizers. Tell me what you think! :thumbup:

I just had a pretty neat idea for a possible continuation of the story past 2017. What if they reveal that the all the inhabitants of Okoto and the Toa were built by a group alien scientists but were dumped there after they developed sentience. And then the scientists, upon realizing the mistake they made by dumping them after they developed sentience, build a group of robotic repo-men and send them to the planet to round up the inhabitants and bring back to their creators for more research. And the repo-team's identity? None other than remade versions of the Slizers, of course. So pretty much, Bionicle vs. Slizers. Tell me what you think! :thumbup:

You could probably make that into an interesting fanfiction. :tongue: But for the official story it'd probably be considered to be a bit too sci-fi to fit G2's "back-to-basics" approach. Heck, a plot like that would seem pretty out-of-left-field even in G1.