Bob De Quatre

[MOD] 10227 UCS B-wing

As some may know, the B-wing is my favorite starfighter from Star Wars, as the Nebulon B is my favorite capital ship. Since my aborted attempt at a UCS Executor, I really wanted to build a big OT Star Wars ship. Since the Nebulon B had already been mastered by Mortesv, I decided to go for the B-wing. TLG as produced many iteration of this ship, but none to my taste. Of course RenegadeClone and Krispy version are great, but I wanted something bigger and with less studs... In the end, I started looking closely at the 10227. There are too many design flaws for me in this set, but some are inevitable due to the parts available, to the thickness of the plates/bricks and to the limitations even a UCS set meets. But still there are good points. The structure is very well thought and sturdy, and some parts are cleverly used. So I built it in LDD, and then started modifying sections I don't like. Throughout the process I asked our master blogger Lobot for his opinion and advices. I hope you'll like it as much as I do, and of course all critiques and comments are more than welcome :classic:

19666281381_a1bf98d58b_z.jpg19040884533_bff809f675_z.jpg19473787478_46a3246bd2_z.jpg19661831025_9eb0185f9f_z.jpg19475213339_79f6e441c5_z.jpg19473863550_e6f20bb2f9_z.jpg19654776842_de51af83b1_z.jpg19654783652_0318bda3cb_z.jpg19666352981_4596a7b7a9_z.jpg19473867088_4bafc1f08a_z.jpg19635704616_8a50d17fff_z.jpg

I like it. It looks a lot more smooth and more realistic compared to the TLG version. Nice work

Looks great! I love how smooth you decided to make it. I can't tell in the pictures, but are the undersides of the wing plated? I remember seeing a Mod that used those, and I thought it looked great. I also really love some of the shaping you did, specifically around the engines. It elevates the model to a new dimension for me. I also really like the idea of getting rid of the cockpit mold, and replacing it with a brick built version. I could probably go on and make another huge paragraph pointing out things I like, but I think this is enough. Overall, just a great job!

That is fantastic! Looks really sleek and smooth!

A great model, imho far superior to the LEGO offering of the UCS B-Wing.

Congratulations.

Great work! Huge B-Wing-fan here too. And I love you display stand. I always thought the B-Wing would look much better in an upright position.

I've been meaning to build something similar but I need a different display shelf first since my current one doesn't have the clearance to fit the B-Wing in there upright :laugh:

Great work!

I wish the original UCS set looks like your model! It`s perfect in all details!

Hope you have an instruction for the "rack"?

markus

Congratulations Bob, it looks stunning! :wub: :wub: :wub:

It's been a real honour to have played a tiny role in the development of it, thank you!

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

This looks very well done. May I ask, why is this one of your favorite ships? I don't see the appeal, but am curious as to others viewpoints. I have one in box still, but I can't bring myself to open/build it. It doesn't matter about the iconic nature or screentime it has. It is just an unusual ship to me.

Thanks for sharing. Well done.

A great model, imho far superior to the LEGO offering of the UCS B-Wing.52.gif

Edited by nzaphegp

You meant MOD or MOC ? Wonderful work ! I love the support too.

Edited by samlr

Looks great!! Does the cockpit rotate and the wings hinge flat? How does the scale compare to other USC models? How "swooshable" is it? Any plans to share the LDD files?

Looks great! I love how smooth you decided to make it. I can't tell in the pictures, but are the undersides of the wing plated? I remember seeing a Mod that used those, and I thought it looked great. I also really love some of the shaping you did, specifically around the engines. It elevates the model to a new dimension for me. I also really like the idea of getting rid of the cockpit mold, and replacing it with a brick built version. I could probably go on and make another huge paragraph pointing out things I like, but I think this is enough. Overall, just a great job!

Third picture from the bottom shows that the underside of the wings are as smooth as the top.

Thanks everyone :blush:

This looks very well done. May I ask, why is this one of your favorite ships? I don't see the appeal, but am curious as to others viewpoints. I have one in box still, but I can't bring myself to open/build it. It doesn't matter about the iconic nature or screentime it has. It is just an unusual ship to me.

Thanks for sharing. Well done.

Maybe that's because it's the most unusual ship that I like it most.

Looks great!! Does the cockpit rotate and the wings hinge flat? How does the scale compare to other USC models? How "swooshable" is it? Any plans to share the LDD files?

Third picture from the bottom shows that the underside of the wings are as smooth as the top.

Of course the cockpit rotate and the wings flap. It's basically an updated 10227 so it has the same size. It is swooshable, but it weight 1.8kg, so not that easy to handle. I'm not sure if I'll share the LDD files or make instructions, maybe when I'll have some time.

Thanks a lot. The undersides of the wings are tiled, just not the very tip as I wanted to keep a 5 plates height and due to the attachment of the cannons, it wan't possible.

Wow! :) As you know I am a big fan of the B-Wing and this is fantastic! I love what you have done with the UCS design. The smooth look is very nice. I would love to incorporate some smoother portions into my design but it's impossible at minifig scale. Great work (and swooshable too!) :)

Very nice design! Was always disappointed we didn't get to see the B-wings in action in ROTJ.

Adywan is hoping to complete a revised version of ROTJ with the addition of more B-Wing action - using new model work! Hopefully it will eventually see the light of day. Of course he has to finish TESB first!

I really love this smooth build in comparison to the UCS one. Please share your LDD files, I'm convinced that most people will be willing to pay a small fee for it for all your effort.