Jim

[REVIEW] 2H 2015 Video Reviews

Please, make me happy with this picture.

In two hours, I will show you all you need to know :wink:

Somebody didn't respect the deadline :look:

Totaly agree with you Sariel.

Edited by VFracingteam

Sariel don't be disappointed...

I think this were 2 poor videos with low value... Nothing interesting...

And it is not about that to be the FIRST but to have the BEST review...

I'm looking forward for your video... I want QUALITY not something quick made...

Max Supercars...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Guys, I didn't want to start a big discussion or to judge people. Anio has his rules, I have mine, that's all there is. Please keep the thread relevant and respectful.

Edited by Sariel

Technic-ally even if not everywhere, July 1 begun almost 11 hours ago... :laugh: So unless a timezone was specified in the NDA. no fool play.

Anyways, watching one video won't prevent us of watching the others... Tomorrow I expect some hamster action.

Edited by aol000xw

Most likely video: 42043 scoop drops treats in front of the rat...erm...I mean rodent...I mean hamster!

Best video: 42043 scoop drops....I mean gently places hamster in it's bed full of treats! Wonder if a tiny hamster would fit in there, probably not.

Very much looking forward to the review by the small hairy critter!

Edited by allanp

My review of the 42043:

First of all, don't be taken aback by its length: it includes 16 minutes of speed build, and I have added chapters for your convenience - both in the video itself and in its YT description (which is clickable).

Second, I apologize for below-average image quality, some footage is fuzzy and grainy. My camera died on me a few days ago and I was forced to quickly find a replacement, which proved moody to say least.

Pros:

- big, complex, challenging, with fantastic collection of new pieces

- best source of pieces I've seen in years: you get new transmission pieces, suspension pieces, pneumatics and very promising new turntable

- looks very realistic and the stickers are used in moderation

- the suspension and steering system are the most advanced I've seen in a LEGO set

- the chassis makes great base for MOCs

- all functions are well polished and reliable: I was particularly impressed with dumping function which can lift 1.1 kg of load

- the new pneumatics are well-thought and work splendidly: plenty of strength, plenty of range

- the instructions are premium quality and the B-model looks interesting

Cons:

- the crane with 4 meters of tubing is an exhausting build and the instructions leave room for many mistakes

- the most expensive set of the year comes with many great functions designed to handle cargo... but no cargo

- I really can't get over this white cabin. I'm not a fan of white Lego, and together with LBG cargo hold it looks just bland

- steering system has plenty of backlash and the small, smooth knobs require strong grip to turn

- for all its complexity, the suspension doesn't actually do much. It's poerfectly realistic for a road-going truck, but I wouldn't expect much from it off-road

- great as this set is, if you're not into trucks nor pneumatics, it doesn't have much to offer

- the set looks polished and well-rounded, but you can see some corners were cut

General impression:

Fantastic set. Building the chassis made me feel like LEGO's Markus Kossmann was listening to our complaints about sets lacking suspension for years, and this time he went "now, watch me" :) The truck is stellar technically, there is so much to learn from suspension and steering systems. It's fun to play with, works very well, and the controls are easier to master than they seem. Unless you absolutely hate trucks and don't care about pneumatics, there's no way you could be dissappointed.

Edited by Sariel

Very nice video Sariel, I love the good quality of the image. The crane of this set reminds me of the Unimogs crane. Again, great work !

Pawel thanks for great video review! Very good job !!!

He he... a little bit too less hamster this time... I want more actor performance for next time! :P

Max...

Great review Sariel. I am very pleased with how well the pneumatics appear to work. DANG IT! How am I going to wait till Christmas? That has always been the day I build the big flagship for the first time. I.....can't......wait.....that......long......AAARRRGGGHHH! :laugh:

the controls are easier to master than they seem.

Hope you are right. I do, really. Cause with 1 switch (battery box), 2 levers (gearboxes), and 4 pneumatic switchs, moreover located everywhere on the truck, I dread the controls not to be very convenient...

Great video Sariel! Let's get rid of the metric and imperial system, Banana scale should be the new standard!

At the beginning, I had some problems with the controls, but I got used to them when I practiced a bit. Still, they are not very intuitive.

Looking forward to your other videos!

I find that big stickers help a lot with controls. All levers are easily accessible, and you learn what is where quickly. It seems easier to me that 42008 which has similar layout of functions, but all the controls were kind of tucked away and it was difficult to find out what is where.

That crane is a PNEUMATIC HELL, though. I remember building 8436 truck with pneumatic crane, and it was a walk on a beach compared to this. Seriously, that this has 4 meters of tubing in it!

Edited by Sariel

I find that big stickers help a lot with controls. All levers are easily accessible, and you learn what is where quickly. It seems easier to me that 42008 which has similar layout of functions, but all the controls were kind of tucked away and it was difficult to find out what is where.

That crane is a PNEUMATIC HELL, though. I remember building 8436 truck with pneumatic crane, and it was a walk on a beach compared to this. Seriously, that this has 4 meters of tubing in it!

You are absolutely right about that. Guess I am not that good in operating multiple switches consecutively :laugh:

However, I got used to it after the first mistakes.

That banana is, I think, a sign of things to come (I'm excited to see this with treads and your nefarious spiffy walker, but start with Trophy Truck-spec).

1. Whoa. Mr. Kossmann just topped his Unimog and topped it bigtime with this beast. What an impressive piece of kit. It's such a packed set, really. Packed almost to the brim with parts, functionality, and loads of hoses. I'm impressed.

2. I think the red parts would make for (huge) pistol slide parts

3. The new and bigger (and smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom) turntable... it's about 8 studs in diameter. Looks like I can use it for some bigger trucks.

4. Good thing Spidey decided to join Mercedes. I heard their F1 team is on a roll these days.

5. Hmm... I think 15L or 21L cylinders would do the trick if you're looking for range. We have to wait, though. For now, 11L is enough for what I have in mind more on that later).

6. And you're right about the tubing. I wonder how it can be made cleaner?

7. "Motorized function 3: Dumping. The favorite function of your ex..." yeah, you just won my heart over. Watch out, though: your hamsters may do just that to you and go to some other up-and-coming Technic reviewer!

8. How dare you not put Richard Hammond *sniff**sniff* in the driver's seat?! He's adept at truck driving, and would have been a cool ride as they fetch a Spaniel and a wild orangutan to go to either ITV or Netflix.

​I so do want to use the thin cylinders for a 4-wide MOC, but I fear that the cylinder wouldn't work on their own, but then fitting a whole pneumatic system in 4-studs wide a space (I'm making a 16-axle mobile crane) presents a big problem when it comes to packaging the model. Would they work as itself without breaking down on me or do I have to fuss with the whole system still?

Edited by XAxles

You'll need hoses, pump and valve to operate the pneumatic. If you just want to hold the boom in place the pneumatic won't have enough friction to do that.

Edited by allanp

You'll need hoses, pump and valve to operate the pneumatic. If you just want to hold the boom in place the pneumatic won't have enough friction to do that.

Good to know. Now how do I fit them all in 4 studs wide a space?

Good to know. Now how do I fit them all in 4 studs wide a space?

You're veering far ott topic here. I suggest posting your problems in the General Technic Discussion topic, or a similar one, preferably with some pictures and a detailed description of what you are building and what you are hoping to achieve. Makes it easier for others to provide feedback/help. If it's a WIP project already, then by all means make a dedicated topic for it :classic:

EDIT: From your brief description, it would seem you only need a small pump, and one hose connected between the pump and the lower inlet of the cylinder to be able to pose it..

On topic:

Great video review as always, Sariel! :thumbup:

Looking at the new gear racks, is it possible to place two of them end to end, effectively doubling its length at the expense of extra width for connecting them?

Also; may I suggest for Jim to collect all the video reviews in post #1 as they are posted perhaps?

Edited by D3K

Yes, it's possible to connect two racks end-to-end. You won't be able to put them in that red brace, of course.

Can anyone confirm that the arm when fully extended is straight? When the center ram Is fully out in the video it looks like there still a bend in the arm?

Not possible, the construction of the red bracket prevents any bend. Trust me, just trying to bend it with my hands.

Not possible, the construction of the red bracket prevents any bend. Trust me, just trying to bend it with my hands.

I mean when u put out the center 2x11 ram when fully out is the arm straight?