mikaelsol

What is Lego Worlds?

Holy crap. My coworker and I downloaded it over lunch. Takes all the enjoyment about property building from Lego universe, the open world of mine craft, and it's own unique landscaping tools, and mashes them together to make something magical. For an alpha the procedural generation is impressive. It's character and model collection is limited, but had endless room for growth.

Sorry to be "that guy," but doesn't this belong in Culture and Multimedia?

Yes, but it hadn't been confirmed until now.

Edited by Master_Data

PleasehaveTechnicandMindstormsPleasehaveTechnicandMindstormsPleasehaveTechnicandMindstormsPleasehaveTechnicandMindstormsPleasehaveTechnicandMindstormsPleasehaveTechnicandMindstorms because System + Technic + Mindstorms = Minecraft-beating game. Bold statement, I know, but from the trailer, it just might be the game that can finally put up with--and one-up--Mojang's greatest hit.

Edited by XAxles

PleasehaveTechnicandMindstorms[10x] because System + Technic + Mindstorms = Minecraft-beating game. Bold statement, I know, but from the trailer, it just might be the game that can finally put up with--and one-up--Mojang's greatest hit.

I wasn't able to get a good look at the brick building, but it looks like it was primarily basic studs on top bricks. Everything is static as well, other than vehicles and animals.

800x433.jpg

It's on Steam as an Early Access title.

<Phoxtane> GUYS
<Phoxtane> GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS
<first guy> WAT
<Phoxtane> LOOK UP LEGO WORLDS ON STEAM
<Phoxtane> IT IS A THING THAT IS HAPPENING
<first friend> second friend posted that right before you got in man
<Phoxtane> [oh, darn]
<Phoxtane> BUT
<first friend> XD
<Phoxtane> EXCITED
<second friend> bahaha

Edited by Phoxtane

This is now officially the successor to Lego Universe. (Or at least the LU building properties.) I WILL GET THIS GAME.

It's not a successor to LU. LU was an exciting adventure across dozens(or at least, would have been across dozens) of worlds, whereas this is basically LDD: Next Generation. It'll be fun for people that loved the properties, but for someone who played LU for the actual game...it's not on my "Must have" list.

I am happy for the property builders, though.

Bought the game and yes, it is indeed amazing. My main complaint however is the inability to manipulate vehicles and their properties. It would be awesome if I could build a flying space mecha that shoots lasers! Hopefully when the game is released in 2016 we will be able to do that.

Edited by Zenerius

Did they mistake the S11 Mountain Climber for the S10 Skydiver at the beginning? :look:

$(KGrHqNHJFIFG-HhZ-fVBR0GgizLeQ~~60_35.JPG$_35.JPG

Some info on the game and what's currently coming for it in future updates:

EXPLORE. DISCOVER. CREATE.

LEGO® Worlds is a galaxy of procedurally-generated Worlds made entirely of LEGO bricks which you can freely manipulate and dynamically populate with LEGO models. Explore each World and unlock new discoveries: from cowboys and giraffes to vampires and polar bears, to steamrollers, race cars, and colossal digging machines! Use the multi-tool to shape environments and alter any World to your liking: raise the terrain to create vast mountain ranges, or enter the Brick-by-Brick editor to build anything you can imagine. Save your creations to build with them again. LEGO Worlds enables you to populate your Worlds with many weird and wonderful characters, creatures, models, and driveable vehicles, and then play out your own unique adventures. Probably not worth upsetting the Skeletons though…

LEGO Worlds is currently in Early Access, so be sure to keep coming back for news on updates and plans for future development, as well as discussions with the people behind the scenes.

Explore and Discover the Surprises within LEGO Worlds

• Uncover hidden treasures in environments that range from the fun to the fantastical.

• Make your worlds come to life with customizable characters, both friendly and fearsome

• Race, soar, zoom, and ride on a variety of vehicles and creatures from diggers and helicopters to horses and dragons

Create and Customize your own LEGO World

• Build any world you can imagine using the brick-by-brick editor tool and prefabricated LEGO structures

• Modify terrain quickly and easily with the multi-tool.

• Customize your characters in a wide variety of outfits and options.

• Play with a select number of real-life LEGO sets, taken from the Classic and current LEGO themes!

• Export your creations and save them to use again.

Expand your LEGO World

• More content, features, and new LEGO play sets to be added in future updates.

Why Early Access?

“LEGO Worlds will be a fully open-world, creativity-driven game so we want to ensure that we provide it with the utmost care and attention as we expand on our ideas. So much of this game will be about building and sharing and by sharing our plans with the community, we hope to incorporate their feedback and build an experience together that fans of LEGO and this genre of video games can enjoy.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“The current plan for LEGO Worlds is to be in Early Access through 2015 at which point we hope to have our full list of features in place. We’ll evaluate a release candidate in early 2016, but we won’t consider the game complete and ready for release until we believe our community feels we have delivered a great game.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“We plan to add the following features through a series of regular updates:

 Like/Dislike system for tailoring World Generation

 Procedurally Generated Underground Cave Networks

 LEGO ID integration to allow for sharing and uploading of in-game builds

 Additional Biomes

 Painting Themes

 Pre-Generated Towns/Villages/Settlements relevant to the Biome

 Updated AI Behaviors to provide organic feeling to free-roaming creatures and characters

 Red Brick Extras

 Full liquid behaviors

 Additional Minifigure Characters and Creatures

 Additional Vehicles and Pre-Built Models

 Additional Weapons

 Cut/Copy/Paste chunks of landscape

 Underwater Gameplay (including Vehicles, Creatures and additional sea life)

 Character Customizer

 Online Multiplayer”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The Early Access build currently features:

 Procedurally Generated Worlds

 Terrforming and Building tools

 Discoveries and Unlocks

 Rideable Creatures and Vehicles

 Day/Night Cycle”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“Yes, the game will be available at a reduced price during Early Access”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“We’ll be actively monitoring the Community Hub here on STEAM and look forward to feedback and suggestions for the game. We'll also be offering people a chance to experience the Development of a LEGO title for the first time, and several members of the team will be providing some interesting dev diaries over the coming months.”

Regarding mods

Hi,

We're looking into the exploration of Mods down the line. For sake of quality controls it's not something we're looking to run straight away, as we want to make sure everything that is meant to be functioning is doing it's job/solved.

However, we do have the ability in place to let you add any Models that you create in the LEGO Digital Designer;

http://ldd.lego.com/

Install you're LXFML model files into this directory;

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment\LEGO Worlds\Mods\Models

In fact, you can also load any of your exported models into this tool too!

NOTE: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP THIS FOLDER FIRST THOUGH, JUST IN CASE!

Having played this a bit, I have some thoughts:

- It's clunky to control, and the third-person camera doesn't help (then again, I think a wonky camera is a running theme in Lego games?).

That's actually about it, all the issues I had stemmed from the third-person perspective, the overall clunkiness of the controls - mind you, not the keybindings, but how the whole thing handled - and the massive interface icons make it difficult to see what you're doing if you're doing anything more complicated than moving around.

I also feel there's a general lack of things to do, but I think that if there was some gentle guidance and actual minor objectives, then it'd be just fine. For example, as far as I can tell, right now it's a collect-a-thon, where your goal is to collect as many pieces of landscape, people, animals, and vehicles as possible, and loot large chests for new weapons and such. Maybe, if instead of plopping random vehicles around the landscape, you were to find plans for vehicles, tools, and so on inside random chests (which means there'd need to be more of them) and then told to go get the pieces you'd need, then it'd stand up to Minecraft.

Overall, it could do with more Minecraft mechanics, now that I think of it. Also, drilling vehicles will happily bore a hole through water and lava, the latter of which kills on contact. Not sure what to make of that.

Someone should mod this and make a Lego Universe adventure map!

Edited by Exetrius

This game is amazing, as a reduced price right now i'm seriously considering buying this thing...

What's a Minecraft? :look:

This is Lego Worlds his perfect brother, as a Thor to Loki :grin:

Some info on the game and what's currently coming for it in future updates:

However, we do have the ability in place to let you add any Models that you create in the LEGO Digital Designer;

http://ldd.lego.com/

Install you're LXFML model files into this directory;

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment\LEGO Worlds\Mods\Models

In fact, you can also load any of your exported models into this tool too!

Now that's a wicked selling point. Off to LDD I go!

I also feel there's a general lack of things to do, but I think that if there was some gentle guidance and actual minor objectives, then it'd be just fine. For example, as far as I can tell, right now it's a collect-a-thon, where your goal is to collect as many pieces of landscape, people, animals, and vehicles as possible, and loot large chests for new weapons and such. Maybe, if instead of plopping random vehicles around the landscape, you were to find plans for vehicles, tools, and so on inside random chests (which means there'd need to be more of them) and then told to go get the pieces you'd need, then it'd stand up to Minecraft.

Overall, it could do with more Minecraft mechanics, now that I think of it. Also, drilling vehicles will happily bore a hole through water and lava, the latter of which kills on contact. Not sure what to make of that.

Crafting. This game needs more crafting. A different kind of way to implement crafting, but crafting nonetheless. Chests of different styles, with some chest giving out specific parts. Edited by XAxles

Really needs a first person view and mouse/keyboard friendly controls like minecraft. Other than that it's a great start. I'de love to see Technic added in the future with physics.

Did they mistake the S11 Mountain Climber for the S10 Skydiver at the beginning? :look:

$(KGrHqNHJFIFG-HhZ-fVBR0GgizLeQ~~60_35.JPG$_35.JPG

Actually, I've heard that when you start the game a random minifigure will fall from the sky as your default character that you can then change/customize.

This game is amazing, as a reduced price right now i'm seriously considering buying this thing...

What's a Minecraft? :look:

This is Lego Worlds his perfect brother, as a Thor to Loki :grin:

From Wikipedia:

"Minecraft is a sandbox independent video game originally created by Swedish programmer Markus "Notch" Persson and later developed and published by the Swedish company Mojang. The creative and building aspects of Minecraft enable players to build constructions out of textured cubes in a 3D procedurally generated world. Other activities in the game include exploration, resource gathering, crafting, and combat. Multiple gameplay modes are available, including survival modes where the player must acquire resources to build the world and maintain health, a creative mode where players have unlimited resources to build with and the ability to fly, and an adventure mode where players play custom maps created by other players."

The game is currently the best-selling PC game OF ALL TIME, with 19,707,344 (and counting) copies of the PC/Mac edition sold. (The game also has console and mobile editions, though the PC is by far the most popular.) The game is also well-known for the many player-made modifications (called mods) that change the game or add various things to it, ranging from rocket ships and the moon to magic wands and elemental monsters. The game is VERY moddable, and due to this there are many mods that have been made for the game. The game also features Redstone, which is essentially the electricity of Minecraft, which can be used to build many circuits and technical things, from open/close circuits to computers, caluculators, and other neat contraptions.

So I'm thinking in the future we'll start to have sets come with codes so you can have the set in Worlds? It sounds like a plausible idea, and it can be an almost DLC kind of thing.