Hoexbroe

McLaren F1 GTR

McLaren (Edit doesnt seem to let me correct the topic title :-( )

Edit; Thanks to the moderator who eventually changed the title. I dont know who you are, but thank you! :-)

Hi all,

I present you all yet another car for the MegaMOC 2014 Le Mans Racing Series diorama (Presented here some time ago).

dsc06743_1024.jpg

Although this adds a new car to the diorama, another car was retired (obviously the fantasy dark red one) from the original diorama. -So the count is still at 21 racers...

dsc06744_1024.jpg

dsc06745_1024.jpgdsc06746_1024.jpg

dsc06747_1024.jpg

dsc06748_1024.jpg

This model is highly NON-purist... Not only do I use costum stickers, but I´ve even tried to paint over half a stud. (As seen in the photo above). Not something I will ever try again. Even much worse heresy was comiited making this car. Can you spot some of them?

Also the assembly is highly unorthodox. Just take a look at the underside of the vehicle;

dsc06749_1024.jpg

Ciao!

Edited by Hoexbroe

Very nice---I could have done away with the painting but I'm just a tad bit more purist. :thumbup: It's an interesting take on the side view (one I'm struggling with while doing my own LDD thing); one thing I would do differently is add a stud or two for the long tail version.

Nice work...I like how you have achieved the front diffuser and the side skirts. Really nice colour scheme too...great build!

Thanks to all for hte nice comments! -Very encouraging!

Would that be the stickers-over-assembly and the use of the Shell logo?

Nah... That is just peanuts. I´m talking about *severe heresy* here! ;-)

-and I´m not talking about stud-in-Technic-Axlehole, neither about flexible-hose-in-Technic-cross-axle-hole. (which are other offenses also visible in the photos)

Have it prototype? If it have, link photo please)

The McLaren F1 GTR definatly exist. There are many versions out there. It´s an extremely famous car, so you can find 1000´s of photos right there in Google...

But if you are referring to the colour-scheme, then no; it´s pure fantasy.

Probably the most beautiful supercar ever made.

Those blue tubes holding the front together...it looks like they have been cut. Might that be what you are refering too?

Probably the most beautiful supercar ever made.

Those blue tubes holding the front together...it looks like they have been cut. Might that be what you are refering too?

Well... They arent holding much. Just preventing some movement... And in my opinion; flexible tubes are MEANT to be cut! :-)

Hi Hoexbroe! Your F1 looks pretty sharp. I said this when I first saw Paulo Daniels' version on MOCpages too: I never thought I'd see a McLaren F1 built at Minifig-scale!! Now there's been two of them within a few weeks! It's probably one of the toughest cars to build at this small scale... However you certainly get away with sitting the Minifig dead center in the cockpit LOL

I wanna play! Those 1x6 tiles held on by clips are technically illegal (*gasp* =P they sure look good though!) Also, I think this car may be driven by a decapitated Minifig O_O!!! (*gassssp*)

Superb job on the decaling! Since they're custom-made stickers, it seems cool that they might "not indefinitely" stick to a couple pieces (maybe if said pieces are easily cleaned later haha). Will we be able to see the F1 during competition on the huge raceday MOC??? Will it be out front!? *cheering for the F1, the last true supercar!!*

Wait, how did you mount some underside plates upside down? And, did you use kragule?

There are pieces upside-down, sideways and angled. -But that is not illegal, as far as I know...

I did NOT use glue!!! (-and I never have!)

Hi Hoexbroe! Your F1 looks pretty sharp. I said this when I first saw Paulo Daniels' version on MOCpages too: I never thought I'd see a McLaren F1 built at Minifig-scale!! Now there's been two of them within a few weeks! It's probably one of the toughest cars to build at this small scale...

Hum... I dont think I´ve seen that one on MOCpages, so I will go and check it out! Thanks for the tip.

I wanna play! Those 1x6 tiles held on by clips are technically illegal (*gasp* =P they sure look good though!) Also, I think this car may be driven by a decapitated Minifig O_O!!! (*gassssp*)

I wasnt aware of that being an illegal tecnique. I certainly use it all the time! -Especially for holding side-mirrors on cars. It´s much less damaging than for example "pony-ears" (This car does not use pony-ears)

Superb job on the decaling! Since they're custom-made stickers, it seems cool that they might "not indefinitely" stick to a couple pieces (maybe if said pieces are easily cleaned later haha). Will we be able to see the F1 during competition on the huge raceday MOC??? Will it be out front!? *cheering for the F1, the last true supercar!!*

The glue from the stickers come off only with water (and soap). It´s annoying, but the result of a few well-placed stickers cant be denied.

I will definatly get some photos of the car on the diorama, during the next expo.

As you have noticed, the car does not hold an entire minifig, just a brick+jumperplate worth of torso, and the head with helmet.

It is endeed a lovely supercar. The only one of the worlds top-5 supercars to NOT use a turbo! -Also the 4 huge fans for adding down-force has always impressed me. -and 3 seats. How unconventional can you get??? ;-)

Edited by Hoexbroe

Thoroughly impressed at how great this looks on such a small scale. Very refreshing too to see some classic McLaren cars, and it blows the Speed Champions P1 away. Love it!!

Maybe I'm just passing along what I've heard -- using the various clips to hold a tile/plate has got to be one of the least stressing so-called illegal connections. I think there's "right and wrong" ways of using the technique, at least. LEGO pieces seem to have gotten VASTLY more fragile since the 90's too...

I've also heard how using Minifigs in cars without the legs/torso/etc is "blasphemous" or whatever, but I don't mind xD I did it all the time! Easier to play with cars and the Minifigs who drive them haha. Sometimes, the requirement of fitting a Fig inside can be a hindrance. That's cool about the stickers too -- you're very good at using them so they really set off each MOC!!! LEGO however...

The F1 is just such an incredible machine in every way! I wish it was still produced! Turbo's are for the lazy -- nothing beats mechanical tuning!~

Maybe I'm just passing along what I've heard -- using the various clips to hold a tile/plate has got to be one of the least stressing so-called illegal connections. I think there's "right and wrong" ways of using the technique, at least. LEGO pieces seem to have gotten VASTLY more fragile since the 90's too...

It has just been brought to my attention, that TLC´s new Avengers Hellcat Carrier uses several instances of plates-in-clips! Does that mean that this tecnique is now oficially recognized?

Also, the passenger-carraige of the Emerald Express, uses studs in Tecnich-axle-holes for decorations on the sides...

a single stud to axle hole connection is legal the "illegality" occurs when you try to connect more than a single studded item to multiple axle holes (spacing is wrong so it causes extra stress) as for the clips to plates, the new modern plates with the fingernail grove on the bottom can be used with clips and not cause extra stress. (think of the edge as a round object, the grove now reduces the diameter to a point Lego has OK'd)

also there is a thread up in general talking about connections: (look for the PDF for Lego's definition on the subject) Illegal and Legal connections

Edited by GallardoLU

Doesnt' seem to look like a representative F1 GTR to me, but it looks neat either way.