Sign in to follow this  
H_Solo

Pictures of my 10179 and Star Wars Room

Hello there,

I started off in this very board by sort of hijacking a thread about bricklinking a 10179, making a promise I'd start my own thread about it.

Well, today I finally had some time to take pictures of my 10179 and as I was snapping away, I also took some pictures of the rest of the collection...

I was pulled out of my dark age about last september, when we had moved to our new house and I bought some SW-Lego Microfighter sets for my 5yo boy... I found those little ships so interesting and the figures so spot-on, I started collecting and building away... of course, as a huge SW-fanboy, starting with the 10179 as my very first BL-project in November/December.

Here goes:

16261801533_133643baca_o.jpg

Some odd-colored plates in old (dark) gray, red and tan add to the overall "shabby" look of the Falcon.

16259427364_7e9f7d3b4a_o.jpg

As you can see, I did some changes to the greebles and added a little piping to the surface.

16694167398_7745ccdfec_o.jpg

16259419434_4e0c3e23b2_o.jpg

16880609552_a48ce55829_o.jpg

Here's a shot with the modified engines... the Idea was shown here on this board by Scottish Dave:

16694172618_5f2f4cb198_o.jpg

A shot on the engines, only minor changes here...

16259420754_8e1cde5fe2_o.jpg

I tried to close up all wider gaps between the hullplates by adding little bits and pieces below them:

16881795435_502349af4f_o.jpg

Brickbuild radar-spoke on the dish and some of the characteristic laser-burn-marks on the hull...

16694391170_380420c480_o.jpg

Sorry, I do not have much pictures from the building process, but that can be seen endlessly here on the board and on the internet anyways...

I do have some other stuff, though:

Living room:

The mighty Death Star

16695661709_d95fa250ec_o.jpg

and the infamous Slave 1

16880791231_04c1472ac3_o.jpg

In the dining room we have the stuff, my son plays with right now:

Republic Gunship, T-16, B-Wing, a Tank, and some other stuff...

16694389090_70df966735_o.jpg

If he looses Interest in those, I grab em for my cabinets in the cellar, which right now display:

the battle of Hoth:

16261805683_17176f835b_o.jpg

and the rest of my LEGO SW things:

16855908916_2a1e5fe9aa_o.jpg

And finally, my dedicated Star Wars room... (I've been collecting Kenner/Hasbro stuff on and off since the early 80ies, when the original Movie hit the theatres here in Germany.)

16855908496_ac87844357_o.jpg

16880616812_6cce47605c_o.jpg

16881800425_5bbb9bddea_o.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the tour. I'd love some feedback and I'd be happy to answer any questions...

I am fully envious of such a room. Big Star Wars fan here and I want a room like that for myself to enjoy.

Every time I see someone elses 10179 makes me want to start my own, but funds are always so tight and I need the money for lots of other things/projects :(

On the other hand, I actually much prefer the brick built radar dish like yours over the printed dish. It looks so spot on that had I not known it is supposed to have a printed dish, it looks like it belongs there. The rear engines look really nice too, a very good alternative. Nice Falcon!

Really nice room too!

Thank you!

Yeah... You always need more LEGO, don't you?

Right now I'm searching parts for the docking bay 327 for my Falcon... Next week Legoland Germany opens up again, and I'll have a look what they ask for 2500 black tiles...

Your Falcon looks excellent - those are nice, well-chosen greeblies you've added, and it's always nice to see someone using the modified engines and dish!

Do the engines light up, by any chance?

Good luck with the Docking Bay - it sounds like a brilliant way to display the Falcon.

Superb room!

Great colection!

I specialy like your Hoth display. Just wondering how you made your snow? It's not Lego but it fits really nicely.

Wow, great collection and nice MOD to the Falcon. Is the room below ground?

Thank you all!

Do the engines light up, by any chance?

No, but it's build with the transclear bricks, so it certainly could... perhaps when placed in the Deathstar-hangar, I'll also add some light effects to the ship.

I specialy like your Hoth display. Just wondering how you made your snow? It's not Lego but it fits really nicely.

Thats just some white fabric I found with our rugs... seems to be the back of an old shirt or something. Fits great, but I really want to brickbuild the snowfield sooner or later.

Is the room below ground?

Yes its a room in our basement, where I keep most of my stuff... (mostly DVD- and movie memorabilia collection)

First of, nice modifications to the falcon, really thought they looked great. Amazing room, man! That's something I'm most likely going to end up having, with all the SW stuff I buy haha. Thanks fir sharing :)

Very cool room! Such a large collection, yet so well organized. Exactly what I expect from a German. :thumbup:

Is that an aquarium in the middle or a window?

Thank you!

Thats a window with some foliage on the ground... A lighting shaft on the side of the house, as its below ground.

I'm not a Star Wars guy myself, but when I was younger, I had a very dear friend who was a serious Star Wars guy. So myself, I wouldn't have a Star Wars "room", ever, that I can imagine, of my own; yet, I feel very comfortable within them. What better place to burrow...

Anyway, I've seen more than a few BL'd 10179's by now, and I just wanted to mention to you that yours is my favorite. The textures that odd and discolored bricks create, while subtle, do add a plethora of depth and detail to a build. I've been playing around with adding Greys to Bleys, as well, which the Castle guys do real well, also. It looks really great here. Wonderful job. What's next on your building palette? After this monster, I can't imagine being the same builder anymore. I know big projects like this have always "altered" me in terms of what I wanted to, and thought I could, tackle as a project next...

Thank you, notaromantic.

I also think with these large builds that subtle differences in color can create a very nice effect to the overall look... You just have to be careful not to strain this effect, as it tends to get distracting and too obvious easily, making some parts look "out-of-place".

I wouldn't do it to republic or imperial ships, though, as too me they always look brandnew and clean.

My next project is a Death Star Hangar to house this Falcon, I'm sourcing parts for it right now...

After this I'm already eying Anios Venator UCS (if I can find some room for it to display)...

Edited by H_Solo

That's a very nice looking 10179, H-Solo! :thumbup: And it's always good to see a great collection of vintage Star Wars figures & sets. I spent a fortune several years ago collecting a full set of figures, including the Blue Snaggletooth etc etc, but sold them when I decided to focus on collecting LEGO SW sets.

I still love the vintage Kenner toys... I collected and played with them as a child, so they hold a lot of sentimental value to me... I completed my vintage collection in the early 90ies, when the hype really took off with the PT movies. Since then I collected mainly 12"figures, ships and vehicles but left everything MISB, just putting it in the shelves.

With LEGO its now different for me, I always want to build the models, so the packaging isn't that important to me... And of course my son wants to play with them and check em out... (He says he has to check, if the models are sturdy enough...)

Edited by H_Solo

Yep - I just wanted to add that i really enjoy these types of posts where someone shows what they have been up to, and it all looks really fun. I too wonder about a UCS Falcon, it is the only thing I really want that I am missing, and actually the thought of moding one based on the design - rather than getting everything just so - is more appealing to me. Maybe one day. Anyhow, a great post and thanks for your efforts.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. I have some of my stuff displayed on some cheap bookshelves. We'll be moving in a few months and I'm hoping to upgrade to some nice glass displays!