Sign in to follow this  
CamelBoy68

[MOC] Victorian Terraced House

Previously I had built my fathers old office building for his 70th Birthday http://www.eurobrick...c=74056&hl=kent now it was my mothers turn. Last November she also turned 70 and I again wanted to build something special. She had mentioned she liked dolls houses as a child, so I thought the perfect one was the house she grew up in and spent most of her adult life.

So I came up with this:

16546623170_944e94be26_d.jpg

It is a Late Victorian terraced house in North London and is built to minifig scale, using the standard door size as the main reference point which has made the building slightly wider than in reality. The colors are not quite a match, due to the pieces involved and their availabilty dark orange, dark brown and dark grey were chosen. Sand red may have been a better match in places but the price for the quantity used would have pushed the project out of reach.

I did display this at the recent Brick 2014 event in London, but was not able to show its interior due to the exterior walls being all dark grey. As the building is much longer than it is wide, I had to abandon the more traditional dolls house opening (think of the Haunted House set) and came up with more modular rooms instead. As it is about 90 x 32 in area, the modular approach made it easier to transport rather than in one whole piece.

Here are the interiors which I wasn't able to display:

16546281638_191c18db89_z_d.jpg

This is the ground floor. All the rooms are connected using technic bricks and pins to hold it together. The part with the small flat roof is the kitchen, shown here:

16732914412_eed4e9ff14_d.jpg

Now I am adding the top floor rooms.

16546176878_2baa505b66_d.jpg

till I get this

16113750673_0898e1ef42_d.jpg

and finally add the roof and garden

16733687625_a6138610bc_z_d.jpg

16545834918_ed2744a228_d.jpg

I don't think it turned out too bad, plus my mother loved it which was the idea.

Check out my Flickr album for more views of the rooms: https://www.flickr.c...57650785893649/

AWESOME Lego copy of the real deal........and I think that 1970's interior sells it for sure ! :grin:

Brick On 'CamelBoy68' ! :grin:

Nice rendition of the real thing. :thumbup: May I suggest using 1x2x2 and/or 1x2x3 white windows instead of clear 1x2 bricks though?

I think that 1970's interior sells it for sure ! :grin:

I'll have you know a Schrieber fitted bedroom suite and Parker Knoll chairs were the height of good taste........ :wink:

Good job but the windows could do with being slightly taller

I know what you mean, but I was tied into the standard door frame scale which has made it a bit more squashed that in RL.

May I suggest using 1x2x2 and/or 1x2x3 white windows instead of clear 1x2 bricks though?

I don't think that would work in the centre of the main windows, plus without making curtains, the studs of the 1x2s obscure the "clearness" of the windows, much like the net curtains that were there.

Brillaint work and waht a lovely idea for a gift...I hope its well received! You have really captured the character and style of the architecture of the original house!