Sorry Lucio...I had to take apart your lovely 4X4. Great build if anyone is interested.

Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet :laugh: And I needed my XL and servo motors back.

Not to mention all those lovely black beams.

Well, it's Lego...it's supposed to be utilized in some other Moc...and and from what I can see, a cool Moc!!

High praise sir! And one day I want to build that monster in your profile picture. It's truly amazing. I want to say that it's interesting to build other people's MOC's. Does anyone else feel like you kind of get a sense of what the person is like by building their mocs? You can tell a lot about a person by how they build. Maybe I'm crazy. :laugh: Also you pick up a lot of new techniques.

Well I've got the seats in. The real Impala has a bench in the back, but obviously my S-brick is in the way. Pretty happy with how it turned out:

int2a.jpg

Top front view:

int1.jpg

I'm waiting on some 3x11 white panels. so that's why only one side is built out.

int3.jpg

Also found some cheap black rims sans tires. Black or gray rims? (no photo)

A video of the interior (sorry for the taylor swift :sick: )

I reworked the door latch. It was a little grabby. It seems to work better and the latched door is flush with the body now.

Hello again.

A small update. I wasted a lot of time building a pretty terrible dash. Going to 86 it soon and probably go straight technic. Not sure why I thought a brick dash would work. Maybe a much more subtle one.

dash.jpg

Got my black rims. They look better in real life, but not sold on the difference. They almost look like steel wheels, vs the old gray which pop a bit more.

img_9097.jpg

Once I get the body all done I can swap them out again and really decide which rim to go with.

A hub cap might help too.

rim.jpg

I built the other side body work which went fast. The door again was bugging me a bit. So I streamlined the end of it.

door.jpg

Visually, it wasn't a huge difference, but the old design rubbed against the fender because it stuck out more.

I also changed up the rear quarter-panel and streamlined the mounting area. I was running out of the smaller fairing panel, so I had to move to a mid sized fairing on the bottom of the quarter panel so I could free up two of the smaller fairing panels for the other side body work.

I had some really nice running boards that looked very slick, but when I opened the door, a small section of the inside rubbed causing the door to momentarily high center on it. (this bar would go one stud in and under the door, not where they sit in the picture:

side.jpg

Which means these pin joiners are slightly bigger than a beam...

arrows.jpg

Gotta learn that the hard way. :devil:

Edited by Graydingo

Hello! I hope everyone is excited about the upcoming weekend. Here's to lots of Lego time for everyone.

Thought you might enjoy some fun photos and a few small updates on the project.

The first was a simple upgrade to the front suspension. Added an extra gray shock to account for weight. I had to move a few things around to get them in there. Now there are 2 for each wheel.

front1.jpg

Underneath:

under.jpg

Next up was getting a roofline going. It's a good start. Helps tie the car in for sure. I'll probably keep it as is for a while and maybe come back to it after the car is complete.

three.jpg

bird.jpg

beauty.jpg

I'll maybe get some time in over the weekend to start the front grill.

Have a great weekend!

Keep up the good work! With most of the weight already on, do the motors for raising and lowering struggle a bit?

Keep up the good work! With most of the weight already on, do the motors for raising and lowering struggle a bit?

In short, yes. The front isn't an issue. The rear is plagued by the heavy battery box. I'd like to get the rechargeable battery. I've heard it's much lighter. The extra weight of the body ended up making the clutch spin on the rear setup. it's a dompromise, but I just replaced it with the regular 24t gear. I didn't want to put the battery box on the end but it works for several reasons. 1. easy access, 2 with the lowering setup i have, the battery box would have taken up a good portion of the inside the passenger area. The batteries would to have to sit in front of the xl motors (see underside pic above). That would mean no front seats, or surely compromised seats. It works quite well (now with weight). I'll try to get another video up of the driving and the lowering / raising action. My driving is pathetic since I'm using the joystick on Jergens app to control acceleration and turning.

Wow, this starts to look real good! I like the general body shape, it looks quite accurate.

That door mechanism with the dampened spring is really great, I might use something like it in my Activa project. (btw, this one also had to be modified to incorporate a second set of springs. Seems to be a common problem with motorized vehicles of this size)

I must admit that the black rims look much better than the grey ones you had before. I personally would rather want them with real tyres, however. Even better: the black ones with the white ring from 41999 - or some chromed ones.

Edited by 5imon

1 suggestion: if you pushed in the BB somehow the rear end wouldn't be so ugly.

Ah well I hope you realize it's a WIP. The battery box will be completely hidden under the rear deck lid, tail lights and bumper...eventually.

One of my early modifications was moving it one stud lower so now it is flush with the bottom of the frame.

Lately I've been working on the roof. I had to take a break for a week or so to sort of let it resonate. It's an all new roof though:

It's lighter, stronger and more narrow like the real car. it's also slightly taller so it feels more like the real car.

That blower is from Lucio Switch's 4x4. It's just setting on there for kicks atm. Thought it looked cool!

img_9259.jpg

img_9255.jpg

Edited by Graydingo

thanks to Sariel for his tools. They are SO useful. He's probably checking his web visitors log and seeing Vegas USA all over it. :laugh:

Thanks! :) I haven't really felt the need to dig into my server logs, I'm just happy to know this stuff is helping people out there. And all my logs are probably messed up after Jalopnik nearly murdered my server a few days ago ;)

A little progress to show you from the last update.

I took a bit of a hiatus since my last update. I built the roof-line where I wanted it but didn't finish the back window portion and I got busy. Finally today I got the building bug and tied in the back of the roof-line. It still needs some polish but its works for now.

Then I was trying to reinforce the lifting mechanism on the rear end.That led to a partial rebuild of the back portion of the model.

It was a bit sketchy so I made it much stronger.

aNUmceP.jpg

I messed around a bit reinforcing the front end. Not sure if this will stay, but it's solid at the moment.

uzTISEI.jpg

I also built a custom profile since there wasn't really a proper control setup for the functions I have.

What do you think?

fQw5OZd.jpg

You're impala is looking great! It seems to be the same 1:10 scale as the truck I'm building. Only question I have for you is are you having problems breaking gears?I see you have the speed geared up 1:3. I have 2 xl motors that gear down at the differential 7:5, and 3:1 after the differential You should have seen how high the broken 12t half bevel gear flew out of the differential before I made the body.

Lookin cool! But what is goin on in the background if that last photo?:p

I thought you were going to have each wheel's ride height independent or was that too fiddley?

You're impala is looking great! It seems to be the same 1:10 scale as the truck I'm building. Only question I have for you is are you having problems breaking gears?I see you have the speed geared up 1:3. I have 2 xl motors that gear down at the differential 7:5, and 3:1 after the differential You should have seen how high the broken 12t half bevel gear flew out of the differential before I made the body.

Thanks! yep excited for your truck. It feels like a very similar project to mine. -No broken gears yet, Fingers crossed. Credit the backlash in the sheer numbers of gears between the motors and the diff that provides a little cushion.

Lookin cool! But what is goin on in the background if that last photo?:p I thought you were going to have each wheel's ride height independent or was that too fiddley?

Buddy sent these to me for my birthday last year. Signed originals. Star wars meets pin up. :-)

bYAFk7L.jpg?1RKE1qBX.jpg

As for the independent setup, It worked, but It was too complex and too heavy. Three wheeling was not an option because of the weight of the moc. It ended up feeling like a bad mars rover contraption or something. Also it didn't work out for the sbrick setup.

Edited by Graydingo

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if lots of AFOLs suddenly drooled in awe...

A little progress to show you from the last update.

I took a bit of a hiatus since my last update. I built the roof-line where I wanted it but didn't finish the back window portion and I got busy. Finally today I got the building bug and tied in the back of the roof-line. It still needs some polish but its works for now.

Then I was trying to reinforce the lifting mechanism on the rear end.That led to a partial rebuild of the back portion of the model.

It was a bit sketchy so I made it much stronger.

aNUmceP.jpg

I messed around a bit reinforcing the front end. Not sure if this will stay, but it's solid at the moment.

uzTISEI.jpg

I also built a custom profile since there wasn't really a proper control setup for the functions I have.

What do you think?

fQw5OZd.jpg

is there another lever or whatever you call it to control the ride height?

Got some progress on a rough decklid and an even rougher hood. I sort of liked the black section on the roof, i might go back to that.

The hood should be more flat, but when its all the way down, I'm off one studd from the fender in the center where the lowering mechinism sits. So I that's why I rise up in the center on that hood. Doesn't really match the lines of the real car. I'm still working on it though.

img_9382.jpg

img_9383.jpg

img_9384.jpg