davidmull

Simple track set up 6x3 foot space only.

Looking for some ideas for a nice simple track to run 60051 and 60052 and add the cargo Crain and maybe train station 60050. Maybe a double loop etc.

Looked up online but not a lot of luck.

This is going to be tough. Since the radius of the curve is 40 studs, a single-loop layout is, at its narrowest:

80 studs (diameter) + 8 studs (width of track) = 27.8 inches.

You could run a second loop that's one straight track wider:

80 studs (diameter) + 8 studs (width of track) + 16 studs (one straight track) = 32.8 inches.

But not any wider than that:

80 studs (diameter) + 8 studs (width of track) + 32 studs (two straight tracks) = 38 inches.

You could run a single loop with a turnout (but only one on the outside!), or two overlapping loops?

You might be able to do a double loop. I could fit a single oval loop on my 6ft x 30in table with a couple turnouts to make a siding to park a some cars.

I would agree that a shunting yard can be fun, but controlling LEGO trains at slow speeds to do realistic shunting can be very hard with only the 7 settings in each direction available. Also you could consider a backwall with tunnels at each end so the train could go off set so as to speak park up there whilst you then do some shunting at the front. Then have it come back as though it has been away on its journey for ages. I think that maybe a better solution really, it is more realistic than having a train rush through the station every few seconds.

I don't want to sound pretentious as I have no experience with LEGO trains but I also think you can do a double loop or at least something more complex than just a single oval loop.

This month started working with RFID and EV3 (Mindstorms) and decided to try it with my own «trains» [also started to read old eurobricks' train topics, lots of good info]. Space is also a problem so I used some flex tracks as it allows slightly narrower turns.

My setup fits in 1.20m x 0.75m (almost 4 ft x 2.5 ft) and there is still some space remaining:

minitrain-track01s.jpg

Not great trains, I don't pretend to replicate real world models, just automate one or two mini/micro trains. Have two trains powered by an old 9V micro motor, quite slow but good for first programming steps. Also tried PF train motors, to much speed for such a small layout [and also for RFID detection] so I'm using only 50~60% power and they run for at least half an hour without incidents.

Download BlueBrick. You will be able to create your layout on your computer. :)

With 6 x 3 you can do have 8 3/4 tracks long and 1 1/2 tracks width.

395535Image1.png

Edited by Exa

Mine is 6x4: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=104220&view=findpost&p=2095928

I went from double loop to double plus extra two 'sides', and I currently have a double loop with a "yard" of sorts, where I can "park" four trains and then choose which ones to run on the loops.

The main limitation with this kind of space is length of the train: only one train can have three full length cars behind the loco, it works best with only two or three shorter ones.

Still, it can be quite fun. One can leave two trains running on the loops, or do maneuvers in the yard.

And there is still enough space for 'scenery' and a small town layout.

Sorry, I'm being a tool for posting this :classic:

It's about 9x22 foot. And what did we build? Just a loop :blush:

What happened to your trains? They seem to be in various states of disintegration.

Kids & Lego: My son strips the cargo train cars down to the deck, and builds up what ever strikes his fancy, and then drive it around the track. I think he'd get a thrill out of andythenorth's HUGH loop. Clearly more straight track is in my future. Damn you Andy!!! :p

Ok after buying 60051/52 and 7939 and 60050 this is my first layout in the space i have. Iv a lot of curved tracks left over but all straights are used. Cant see any way of using up more curved tracks but im open to sugestions :)

Not a bad start after 4 weeks in trains :)

411A1637-B478-4D9D-933D-8DBE697CCE1B.jpg

If I remove flexy tracks each end and make more narrow could i fit a double loop on outside?

Edited by davidmull

Looks good, is that an old bed it's set up on? Does the track not move around under the trains?

Looks good, is that an old bed it's set up on? Does the track not move around under the trains?

Yes it's a single bed base in the spare room. No the track doesn't move much only the flexy does. I'm not sure can I do any better in this layout maybe others can advise.

Yes it's a single bed base in the spare room. No the track doesn't move much only the flexy does. I'm not sure can I do any better in this layout maybe others can advise.

You can stiffen up the flex track with some long 2 x ___ plates on top of flex track studs. Then it won't "flex" around. :classic:

Think it's great for the space, wondering if a sheet of ply over the head from would let you fix the track and still move it if you need the bed back for a guest or what ever

Think it's great for the space, wondering if a sheet of ply over the head from would let you fix the track and still move it if you need the bed back for a guest or what ever

Good idea but we don't use the bed it's purely a Lego room now. Would like a double track set up but don't think it's possible on that room.

Will measure mine tomorrow I think it's 1m wide so 3' May be too narrow

Is it possible have tracks side by side using flexy from the switch track.

Is it possible have tracks side by side using flexy from the switch track.

Do you mean having two loops that connect with a pair of switches? The gap between sides would be 8 studs, flex or not doesn't matter.

The problem with your available space is the 3ft width. If I see correctly from the picture, you have 5 sections of flex track between curves, or 1 + 1/4 of straight, or ~20 studs.

That may be barely enough for an outer loop -- the width of rail is 8 studs, you need one on each side.

The inner loop can use curves or flexi to become narrower in the middle, leaving enough space from the outer loop to connect to it via switches.. especially if you cut them.

You can try, but it may not look good.

As suggested before, download bluebrick and try it there first. A base plate is 10", so 6x3 ft is 7 x 3.5 plates.

If you went this route you could cheat it to add an overhang to get the remaining the 5 inches (128 cm) necessary for a proper double loop.