I think there's more of a shift in focus from "limited" to "unlimited" creativity; on the BIONICLE Facebook page, LEGO recently posted a bunch of designer MoCs, and then there was the BFTGM contest, etc. They don't want the universe to inhibit creativity, as it somewhat did last time, but rather inspire it.

Frankly, I never thought combining to be limiting, if they were handled as a possibility in a million, like the Kaita/Nui fusions, the Exo-Force combined mechas and the Mixels: "They can fuse in many ways and with many partners; this is one example. Now go make some of your own". It's when the combinations became definite, separate characters that it became too limiting, in my opinion, especially since they often had to create an entirely new species just for that character.

Frankly, I never thought combining to be limiting, if they were handled as a possibility in a million, like the Kaita/Nui fusions, the Exo-Force combined mechas and the Mixels: "They can fuse in many ways and with many partners; this is one example. Now go make some of your own". It's when the combinations became definite, separate characters that it became too limiting, in my opinion, especially since they often had to create an entirely new species just for that character.

Exo-Force Mixels would be amazing...!

I more meant in terms of story; the whole concept of Toa Kaita was dropped after a few years because the team didn't feel like shoehorning in combiners, when combiners finally stopped being canon (2006) the fans went a little bonkers, and then latter year story combiners were lucky if they got anything above some small mention in the serials.

Here, they're not pretending that combiners have any relevance; the "power up" models aren't technically in the official story, and then the alternate Protector/Master combiners are being slowly doled out. But that doesn't mean they don't have a place in the overall line, and that's part of what I like about G2; it doesn't particularly care whether or not these combiners are story-proof, and is content for you to use them as you see fit.

Well right now we don't have any names of species expect the toa. It wouldn't hurt the story and make the story convoluted if it was about fauna. You know like birds, bears, fish and stuff. The post on http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/17041-wildlife-of-okoto/ was an excellent example oft hat. No gibberish names. Really the problem with the species was rather within their naming, not with them being actual characters.

Well right now we don't have any names of species expect the toa. It wouldn't hurt the story and make the story convoluted if it was about fauna.

I think the idea is keeping the story simple for kids without giving them tons of complex terms. Sacrificing technical character names for everyone and everything other than the main Toa enables (in theory) for anyone to jump into the story at any point. I mean even Ekimu looses his name for the Summer set also, either to avoid spoiling people or because the name itself is complex for kids to learn. I suppose maybe the books will give characters, places and other aspects names... but the main storyline will likely be incredibly simplified concerning names with no other characters named other than the main cast of the Toa, Ekimu and Makuta.

Edited by Scarilian

Any chance of getting Takanuva in the future?

Well, a lot of fans think that the baby Fire villager may turn out to be a Takanuva-type character. I, personally, don't think he will, but if Takanuva does return, he needs to look like this.

#FunmetalTakanuva2016FTW.

Edited by LN-01354

Well, a lot of fans think that the baby Fire villager may turn out to be a Takanuva-type character.

Naw. Baby Protector ain't no Takua.

Takua's a different character. Born in the Fire Tribe. One parent was from the Fire Tribe while the other was from Water. The Water Tribe parent died, and Takua now wears their mask in remembrance.

Head canon aside, the mention of Okotan Fauna reminded me: I really hope we get another Rahi contest type thing sometime in the future like with the Rahi guide book back in the day. Everyone MoCs some beasties, some get canonized, ultimate winner gets a Gold Mask or something.

I believe their was something said about keeping the new story focused on the main current toa team, however i would like to see a Takanuva style character, whether it be the same Takanuva or a different Seventh Toa or whatever. Just honestly think the team needs a seventh member to help bring order to the elements and introduce a new toa character for G2

Edited by Scarilian

I doubt they'll stick to only the six Toa. I mean, would they just keep releasing new forms of the same Toa every year, with some lazy excuse for why they look different? (*cough* adaptive armor *cough*)

Edited by LN-01354

I doubt they'll stick to only the six Toa. I mean, would they just keep releasing new forms of the same Toa every year, with some lazy excuse for why they look different? (*cough* adaptive armor *cough*)

So... 2002 was a lazy excuse, then?

So... 2002 was a lazy excuse, then?

Well really, the Toa Nuva were just the Toa Mata with some fancy armor. And really (this is my opinion), the story reason just....wasn't good enough. When the Metru turned into Hordika, the actual story explanation seemed reasonable, and the same with the Mahri. But the "adaptive armor" thing just doesn't work for me. :sceptic:

Edited by LN-01354

Well really, the Toa Nuva were just the Toa Mata with some fancy armor. And really (this is my opinion), the story reason just....wasn't good enough. When the Metru turned into Hordika, the actual story explanation seemed reasonable, and the same with the Mahri.

How funny. The reasonable explanations give way to some of the worst sets, and the unreasonable ones give way to some of the best sets.

Some of, anyway.

@Scarilian: I guess we'll just pretend you didn't bring the vahi thing up yourself pages ago, and then pretend that I'm the only person talking about it, when you've written posts just as long as mine? It's not personal targeting, you're simply the person discussing something that merited a reply. The vahi thing is a personal peeve, I'm well capable of admitting it, because again, I was there. I am adamant about these things because the vahi rumour nonsense has all started because of a misunderstanding (that came from TTV, whether I like their channel or not, this entire fiasco is their fault, and stating so is not some ridiculous slandering thing, it's a simple note of where the entire thing started, and the mentioning of their fans as being the ones who propagate it is also entirely accurate. I don't see why this is somehow slandering the channel or them, or somehow is indicative of some big grudge?) of a simple statement. You're adamant that my views are simply "another opinion" but I was there. It's not an interpretation of the events, it is me telling others a memory as it happened. There's a difference.

As for you thinking me saying something is "misguided" is an insult... I'm sorry? Misguided is misguided. I don't know how else you want me to word it.

This is Eurobricks and i just want to be able to voice my own opinion respectfully without you now targetting me for the upteenth time despite former reports and warnings from staff because my opinion disagrees with yours.

Bruh, you brought the vahi thing up. This is part of how a discussion community works. If it had been someone else, it would have been someone else I was debating it with. As it has been in the past. And because the fandom, for better or worse, continues to move in circles when these things come up, and they will, will be in the future. Chill.

Here, they're not pretending that combiners have any relevance; the "power up" models aren't technically in the official story, and then the alternate Protector/Master combiners are being slowly doled out. But that doesn't mean they don't have a place in the overall line, and that's part of what I like about G2; it doesn't particularly care whether or not these combiners are story-proof, and is content for you to use them as you see fit.

This is honestly the best part of the new series for me. The entire concept that not everything needs a story role, that not everything needs a complex explanation, but there's still that central conflict, a mythological feeling, a story with purpose, this is exciting. It's honestly how the first year or two of story felt. It's awesome, and it's inspirational for me.

Naw. Baby Protector ain't no Takua.

In all seriousness, the whole "Twokua!" thing has always bothered me a bit. Takua was a homeless wanderer originally, a vagabond with no real sense of purpose besides the deep desire that he needed to do something and that it was important he do so. He was clever, adaptive, and while somewhat awkward and odd, easily befriended others, especially those also outside the current social structures. He wasn't a wide-eyed kid, he was a hero before the Toa even showed up. Instead of standing wide-eyed when the Toa did show up, he worked parallel to them with others to aid the island and the Toa simultaneously. I get the surface-level gut instinct comparison, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

I imagine if there is a 7th toa they probably will name him Takua for familiarity (and dropping the Nuva in the case that they don't upgrade considering it wouldn't make sense). I personally think it's likely because the extra member trope is a popular one (just look at Power Rangers, they definitely have the colours).

And yes, please make it funmetal. Gold/trans yellow blend please?

Why?

This is a reboot. We have so many opportunities for new and exciting things... And yet everyone's like "Bring back Vezon! And the Bohrok! And give the Protectors the Turaga's names! Bring back the Vahi!"

While it would be cool to see a Gen2 Takanuva, is it really necessary for anything more than to appease the nostalgia-goggled among us? Not really.

Edited by LewiMOC

Is the Protector of Water male or female?

...just came to mind. :S

"passed down through the generations from father to son"

Quoted from the catch all description on every character page for each Protector on bionicle.com.

In short, male.

Why?

This is a reboot. We have so many opportunities for new and exciting things... And yet everyone's like "Bring back Vezon! And the Bohrok! And five the Protectors the Turaga's names! Bring back the Vahi!"

While it would be cool to see a Gen2 Takanuva, is it really necessary for anything more than to appease the nostalgia-goggled among us? Not really.

While that is an extremely salient po-BRING BACK VORIKI 2016!!!

Edited by CabooseBM

"passed down through the generations from father to son"

Quoted from the catch all description on every character page for each Protector on bionicle.com.

In short, male.

Well it will be female to me.

This. Is. Nokamaaaaa!!!

Why?

This is a reboot. We have so many opportunities for new and exciting things...

Such as Skull Spiders and Lords of Skull Spiders that fell short of the mark set-wise and were even worse story-wise? Not to say that LEGO can't make anything decent without rehashing an idea, but after this wave... my expectation are less than good.

Edited by Mandate

I guess we'll just pretend you didn't bring the vahi thing up yourself pages ago.

I was one of the many people to talk about it, i was not the one to bring it up on its own, i merely discuss the topic at the time as with everyone else here. Nobody is pretending that i was not talking about the Vahi.

The vahi thing is a personal peeve, I'm well capable of admitting it, because again, I was there. I am adamant about these things because the vahi rumour nonsense has all started because of a misunderstanding (that came from TTV, whether I like their channel or not, this entire fiasco is their fault, and stating so is not some ridiculous slandering thing, it's a simple note of where the entire thing started, and the mentioning of their fans as being the ones who propagate it is also entirely accurate.

I based my prior comment entirely on your statement of the qoute and how you phrased it, as such in this case it is not their fault but your own. How you phrased it was left up to interpretation which i tried to point out. Even with you apparently writing down the exact wording of what was said, based off your phrasing and wording of the events it left several options for what the official wording could mean which i tried to explain for you. As for the TTV thing, once again, just because they had an opinion doesnt mean that their opinion is automatically what caused everyone else to think of it. You value people on this message board so low that you dont even believe they have independent thought, its honestly disgusting.

I don't see why this is somehow slandering the channel or them, or somehow is indicative of some big grudge?) of a simple statement. You're adamant that my views are simply "another opinion" but I was there. It's not an interpretation of the events, it is me telling others a memory as it happened. There's a difference.

Firstly, you telling things from memory IS an interpretation of the events.

The slandering which you did was intentionally bringing up events that may not have happened in order to discredit them, claiming that got the NYCC tickets via making accounts for instance, claiming that everyone on here who thinks the Vahi might be involved in G2 is simply following what TTV said, etc... Its all a bunch of nonsense really. Its like you dont understand that people can come to the conclusion by themselves.

As for you thinking me saying something is "misguided" is an insult... I'm sorry? Misguided is misguided. I don't know how else you want me to word it.

In which case i would view you as the only misguided one here, you are so cemented in your belief's about TTV is the source of people having an opinion that the Vahi, that its blinded your judgement. You dont seem to understand people have their own opinions and thoughts and you still dont seem to realise that this conversation has been over since your first comment.

Bruh, you brought the vahi thing up. This is part of how a discussion community works. If it had been someone else, it would have been someone else I was debating it with. As it has been in the past. And because the fandom, for better or worse, continues to move in circles when these things come up, and they will, will be in the future.

I talked about the Vahi because it was the topic at hand, i was not the one to bring it up this time or the several times prior. Issue is you've got it into your head somehow that the Vahi thing means nothing. Whether that is right or wrong. So despite people other than me wanting to speculate about the Vahi and its potential meaning, you just dont let them. You claim they simply got the opinion from TTV, slander TTV and then the conversation ends without reaching a proper resolution where all members involved feel their opinion has been shared.

As for why its going round in circles, the Vahi is the only thing we get new around here. We've seen the Summer sets and they released a new animation with the Vahi, so the topic went to that. Its less going round in circles and more a natural progression of how news works, people wanted to discuss something other than the summer sets so the topic chances and evolves to cover whatever is new at the time, more often than not its the animations. New members also naturally bring up the Vahi because its obviously in the animations as an Easter Egg, so they either point it out or speculate about it.

Listen, if you want to continue this further take it to PM's, because once again, i dont care anymore. You've made talking about anything on here or even speculating a chore for EVERYONE on these boards because it means another drawn out conversation with you're bigoted mind. I just want to talk about other stuff without having to deal with you're nonsense and honestly i seem to be the only one out of the two of us who is trying to move on from this topic without draging this out over multiple pages ¬.¬

While that is an extremely salient po-BRING BACK VORIKI 2016!!!

I would'nt be suprised if due to the popularity of that character amongst the G1 and G2 fanbase we end up getting a similar character eventually... a man can dream :P

Edited by Scarilian

Such as Skull Spiders and Lords of Skull Spiders that fell short of the mark set-wise and were even worse story-wise? Not to say that LEGO can't make anything decent without rehashing an idea, but after this wave... my expectation are less than good.

Well, technically the books may chance things regarding their impact story-wise. I mean, they could develop the story for example (speculating here)

'Lord Of Skull Spiders turns out to be one of the ancient guardians of the city, a creature as old as time that has been their for thousands of years. A creature tamed by Ekimu to guard the city in the event of his death and to prevent anyone entering the city other than the Toa. Over time the lord of spiders slowly forgetting his duty and becoming animalistic, turning upon the inhabitance of the once great city, preventing anyone from entering or leaving.

Gaining control of a large army of Skull Spiders, creatures inhabiting the Skulls of Protectors that had fallen in battle with ancient warriors, The Lord Of Skull Spiders attempted to guard the entire island from any threats. With his Skull Spider army he sought out the Golden Masks and saught to protect them from all foes, however by then he had forgotten his duty