First of all, that picture with four blurred images was confirmed fake by the initial leaker and various other people. There's no way summer sets would have leaked in July, anyway.

Secondly, I could be wrong, but having been at NYCC myself I don't recall anyone mentioning anything about the amount of summer sets we're going to receive. The only word we got in regards to those was the leaked documentation, which, in hindsight, wasn't really wrong about too much. In regards to specific things:

- The documentation confirmed "mini-movies," but debunked a full-length movie and/or series (at least, that's how I interpreted it).

- The documentation clearly cited Merlin Mann as the writer for these mini-movies, which we now know to be true, and said that Lego was "in talks" with Greg Farshtey to write the books, but did not explicitly confirm that it would be him writing them.

Based on all this, I think it's pretty accurate to assume we'll be seeing five summer sets. Here's hoping they're pretty spectacular.

Edited by Mesonak

I’m glad that Bionicle is returning. When I first saw it in 2001 I fell in love with it straight away.

Heroes/warriors with elemental powers, a quest to find objects that you can hold, wear or fight with and these objects have elemental powers or random powers.

These are the things I like in adventure stories. :grin:

I have a question. Does anyone know what the best method is for removing printing from pieces without messing up the plastic underneath? Seriously considering doing it for the Toas' chests.

Thanks!

I have a question. Does anyone know what the best method is for removing printing from pieces without messing up the plastic underneath? Seriously considering doing it for the Toas' chests.

Thanks!

I've heard that a simple pencil eraser does the trick, but I haven't tried it myself.

I've heard that a simple pencil eraser does the trick, but I haven't tried it myself.

Yeaaah no. Unfortunately. :p

Thanks!

Taking a glance at this Brickset forum topic, there seems to be quite a few methods, including:

Most of them do damage the bricks somewhat in the process but it hopefully shouldn't be noticeable on the Superhero chests.

May I also say that the prints actually look VERY good from what we have seen so far, so I would say to wait until you've sat on the set a while.

Edited by TheDesuComplex

Maybe because I have stated quite often enough it's the story that drags me into a line? The only thing BIONICLE has ever had running for it to me was the world-building, I never had any real enjoyment of the plot. Even then, it hasn't been so much the world-building but moreso the environments. The 2015 environments, that is. The only things about BIONICLE I ever really enjoyed is the 06-08 artstyle on the Toa/Piraka. The whole "astrology" and "all hail Mata Nui" thing creeped me out. I still have no clue about half the stuff that went on in the plot, the plot holes surrounding the Mask of Life alone were ridiculous.

CCBS never worked wonders for me other than the standardized bone system it introduced, the legs/arms of the old system were vastly inferior to the CCBS version. And after doing some serious experimentation with CCBS over the past few weeks, I can safely say that while it's better than what I though it was like (sat on a bunch of CCBS parts for years, did nothing with them until recently), I'm really not a fan of it. And some of the sets I've bought recently have left a very sour taste in my mouth (looking at you, Surge and Rocka Combat Machine) in regards to it.

The only reason I ever gained even a remote interest in BIONICLE was because there was a metaphorical drought for NINJAGO and needed something to do. All aboard the hype train.

Good day sir!

May I also say that the prints actually look VERY good from what we have seen so far, so I would say to wait until you've sat on the set a while.

please don't sit on your sets

With that said, yeah, I'm in the camp that the prints look AMAZING. Great mechanical details and decorative patterns that give the appearance of tribal war paint. The metallic zigzag patterns on all six Toa's chests are particularly unique.

I can see the sense in maybe removing the prints from them if you just want to have the pieces available for MOCing without a printed pattern, but even then there's not a lot of sense in removing the print from Gali's chest, since that chest plate already exists in Titanium Metallic without printing (and her printed pattern is one of the most beautiful IMO).

With that said, yeah, I'm in the camp that the prints look AMAZING. Great mechanical details and decorative patterns that give the appearance of tribal war paint. The metallic zigzag patterns on all six Toa's chests are particularly unique.

I can see the sense in maybe removing the prints from them if you just want to have the pieces available for MOCing without a printed pattern, but even then there's not a lot of sense in removing the print from Gali's chest, since that chest plate already exists in Titanium Metallic without printing (and her printed pattern is one of the most beautiful IMO).

You know what I meant. :P

Yes, those comments were mainly based on the numerous times you have pointed out the intricacies of the print (such as the chromed lines and mesh detail). You've pretty much won me over for the next four weeks or so until the sets come out and I have the prints in-hand.

Yeaaah no. Unfortunately. :p

I've actually used an normal eraser to remove some prints. Takes a while, but it's doable! :tongue:

You've pretty much won me over for the next four weeks or so until the sets come out and I have the prints in-hand.

Wow. That really puts things in perspective. Only a few more weeks to wait.

Also, yeah. The chest printing looks great. Plus, I think it'd be pretty plain looking without it. It adds a bit of flair to the flatness of CCBS.

As someone who normally hates prints, I absolutely love the ones we got with these Toa, as well as the sticker design for Onua's chest.

Can't say I like LoSS's faceprint, but that's a whole different matter.

I have no interest in Bionicle as a theme, but I see a great amount of cross theme useage.

A few of the Toa chest prints look like some odd kind of computer screens. I'm seeing in my head a sci-fi vig with alien races doing tactical analysis. I may even be able to use my Eris chestplate in this vein. The Protectors' masks have a more tribal shape to them than the Toa, and I will probably be getting multiples for other uses. The design makes me want to do something like a sci-fi Islanders.

LoSS has plenty of that trans-orange that is great for making lava flows. That face would be good as a creature peeking out at the mouth of a cave.

This perplexes me a little bit. Maybe I'm not seeing it right or something, but all of the chest printings look like obscure scribbles with the sole aim of making the torsos asymmetrical and dorky. I can understand if these were suppose to work alongside the mini-movies, but there are certainly better ways of adding a complex look to their torso armor than this, I'm sure.

Not to mention, some even break up the color schemes. Lewa's has lime for no apparent reason, Pohatu's seems to have dark red... It's really odd. Am I just not seeing these properly? Is there some pattern, something I haven't realized yet? Cause right now, they're just really... Abstract.

-Eljay

Cause right now, they're just really... Abstract.

That's exactly what they're supposed to be- cluttered and abstract (but in a very good way). It doesn't really break up the color schemes and instead seems to bring more to the proverbial table, and gives a visually interesting design to the otherwise smooth and clean CCBS system.

That's exactly what they're supposed to be- cluttered and abstract (but in a very good way). It doesn't really break up the color schemes and instead seems to bring more to the proverbial table, and gives a visually interesting design to the otherwise smooth and clean CCBS system.

I don't really understand how that's a good thing. You can make something cluttered and abstract and not have it look like a child drew it with a marker. And I guess it's interesting if one finds weird X's and abstract Y's interesting, but I guess I'm not one of those people.

There just seem to be much better ways to go about this. You can print a techno design on these and it'll have an even better look, I'd believe. I mean, look at Onua's. Onua's printing (er, stickers) is the only one I really like, cause it not only matchs with all of his colors, but almost invokes a sort of... tribal feel, I'd like to say. Like he's wearing armor painted with a symbol of the Earth Village/Tribe/Koro/Koto/etc. The others don't seem to have that same feeling, and just feel weird to me. I don't understand why they didn't just go with an elemental design, or a design like that of the new armor add-ons.

-Eljay

I don't really understand how that's a good thing. You can make something cluttered and abstract and not have it look like a child drew it with a marker. And I guess it's interesting if one finds weird X's and abstract Y's interesting, but I guess I'm not one of those people.

There just seem to be much better ways to go about this. You can print a techno design on these and it'll have an even better look, I'd believe. I mean, look at Onua's. Onua's printing (er, stickers) is the only one I really like, cause it not only matchs with all of his colors, but almost invokes a sort of... tribal feel, I'd like to say. Like he's wearing armor painted with a symbol of the Earth Village/Tribe/Koro/Koto/etc. The others don't seem to have that same feeling, and just feel weird to me. I don't understand why they didn't just go with an elemental design, or a design like that of the new armor add-ons.

-Eljay

I would very easily say that they look elemental and fitting.

Lewa's reminds me of vines and plantlife, Pohatu's looks like some sedimentary stone (think Southwestern US desert, a Mesa biome in Minecraft), Gali's seems like water teeming with energy and life. Onua's looks like mineral veins in rock, Tahu's looks like a wild and raging fire, and Kopaka's reminds me of stratified imperfections in ice.

I can totally understand if you don't see that though. It's not explicitly spelled out and is more of a suggestion, a nudge in the direction. But it's evocative enough to work beautifully.

I would very easily say that they look elemental and fitting.

Lewa's reminds me of vines and plantlife, Pohatu's looks like some sedimentary stone (think Southwestern US desert, a Mesa biome in Minecraft), Gali's seems like water teeming with energy and life. Onua's looks like mineral veins in rock, Tahu's looks like a wild and raging fire, and Kopaka's reminds me of stratified imperfections in ice.

I can totally understand if you don't see that though. It's not explicitly spelled out and is more of a suggestion, a nudge in the direction. But it's evocative enough to work beautifully.

Yeah, I can't say I see it anymore after looking at them based on how you see them. Lewa's is the only chest piece I have with me, and I looked up vines and plantlife, and the closest thing I could find that was close enough was this. (Warning, large image).

I guess this is just one of those things I'll just never get used to, unfortunately. Ah well, everything around them looks fantastic, and that is what matters to me. :)

-Eljay

Yeah, I can't say I see it anymore after looking at them based on how you see them. Lewa's is the only chest piece I have with me, and I looked up vines and plantlife, and the closest thing I could find that was close enough was this. (Warning, large image).

I guess this is just one of those things I'll just never get used to, unfortunately. Ah well, everything around them looks fantastic, and that is what matters to me. :)

-Eljay

Yeah, the point is that they're suggestions- so you can view them however you like. And, as suggested earlier, you can easily scrub the print off if you really don't want it.

This perplexes me a little bit. Maybe I'm not seeing it right or something, but all of the chest printings look like obscure scribbles with the sole aim of making the torsos asymmetrical and dorky. I can understand if these were suppose to work alongside the mini-movies, but there are certainly better ways of adding a complex look to their torso armor than this, I'm sure.

Not to mention, some even break up the color schemes. Lewa's has lime for no apparent reason, Pohatu's seems to have dark red... It's really odd. Am I just not seeing these properly? Is there some pattern, something I haven't realized yet? Cause right now, they're just really... Abstract.

-Eljay

You can see some clear images of two of the chest plates in this image from my BIONICLE 2015 New Parts Preview on New Elementary. This image from the same post shows all five printed chest plates as they appear in the CGI product pics.I think it's hard to fully appreciate the designs without seeing them in person, on account of the beautiful metallic printing which I think is the highlight of these patterns.

The background color of each pattern looks slightly cracked and weathered, which might be clearer in this photo from my Kopaka set review. I feel this also adds an appealing level of detail, reminiscent of the weathering that characterized the surfaces of the Toa's armor in some of the early comics.

Rather than just adding asymmetry, these patterns also have metallic vents and decorative patterns that simulate tribal war paint (or perhaps a fusion of tribal war paint and the paint job on an automobile), which really adds to the sets a great deal, in my opinion. It's entirely unlike anything in previous BIONICLE sets, but at the same time, it is extremely consistent with the dichotomy of tropical island culture and mechanical intricacy that defined the early years of BIONICLE. It looks less like a child drew it with a marker and more like it was drawn carefully and deliberately, like the ornate tattoos worn by the Maori people. It also reminds me somewhat of the Nuva symbols in that the metallic patterns evoke the energy of the character's element — however, it is less rectilinear than the Nuva symbols, and as a result I think it conveys an even more dynamic energy.

I, too, was a surprised to find that Lewa's chest plate uses Bright Yellowish Green and Bright Yellow instead of Bright Green and Flame Yellowish Orange. But I think it works surprisingly well with the look of the completed set (just as the Bright Yellowish Green vine pieces work surprisingly well on the feet of the Protector of Jungle, or on Lewa's feet in his "powered up" form). I'm not sure whether the darker color on Pohatu's chest plate is Dark Red or Reddish Brown (I've honestly forgotten), but it looked excellent when I saw it at New York Comic Con. Though his chest plate has fewer of those ornate metallic zigzag patterns that I like than most of the others.

All things considered, I think these patterns add much more appeal to the set designs than they take away. Gali's is my favorite of the ones I've gotten to hold myself. It suits her color scheme brilliantly and feels very aquatic.

You can see some clear images of two of the chest plates in this image from my BIONICLE 2015 New Parts Preview on New Elementary. This image from the same post shows all five printed chest plates as they appear in the CGI product pics.I think it's hard to fully appreciate the designs without seeing them in person, on account of the beautiful metallic printing which I think is the highlight of these patterns.

The background color of each pattern looks slightly cracked and weathered, which might be clearer in this photo from my Kopaka set review. I feel this also adds an appealing level of detail, reminiscent of the weathering that characterized the surfaces of the Toa's armor in some of the early comics.

Rather than just adding asymmetry, these patterns also have metallic vents and decorative patterns that simulate tribal war paint (or perhaps a fusion of tribal war paint and the paint job on an automobile), which really adds to the sets a great deal, in my opinion. It's entirely unlike anything in previous BIONICLE sets, but at the same time, it is extremely consistent with the dichotomy of tropical island culture and mechanical intricacy that defined the early years of BIONICLE. It looks less like a child drew it with a marker and more like it was drawn carefully and deliberately, like the ornate tattoos worn by the Maori people. It also reminds me somewhat of the Nuva symbols in that the metallic patterns evoke the energy of the character's element — however, it is less rectilinear than the Nuva symbols, and as a result I think it conveys an even more dynamic energy.

I, too, was a surprised to find that Lewa's chest plate uses Bright Yellowish Green and Bright Yellow instead of Bright Green and Flame Yellowish Orange. But I think it works surprisingly well with the look of the completed set (just as the Bright Yellowish Green vine pieces work surprisingly well on the feet of the Protector of Jungle, or on Lewa's feet in his "powered up" form). I'm not sure whether the darker color on Pohatu's chest plate is Dark Red or Reddish Brown (I've honestly forgotten), but it looked excellent when I saw it at New York Comic Con. Though his chest plate has fewer of those ornate metallic zigzag patterns that I like than most of the others.

All things considered, I think these patterns add much more appeal to the set designs than they take away. Gali's is my favorite of the ones I've gotten to hold myself. It suits her color scheme brilliantly and feels very aquatic.

Yeah. I saw the review. And like I said earlier, I do have Lewa's chestplate, so I'm aware of the metallic look of them, as well as the cracks. I do like that aspect of them.

All in all though, I'm still not entirely convinced. Cause we've seen patterns in Bionicle before, and I'm well aware the current members of the team have done their research, so it seems a little strange to me that these are the patterns we're given. Normally when I see tribal patterns, they're often very symmetrical. Maybe I just haven't seen a lot of tribal patterns...

As far as it being like patterns we've seen before in Bionicle, however, would you happen to have some examples that resemble the format of these? Cause the majority of symbols and patterns I remember from the Mataverse years were often a clean pattern, and quite symmetrical. Maybe I'm forgetting something, which is why I'm asking.

I will say, I do like the cracked look they have if you look closely. I feel if they just removed the large marks across them, the chest pieces would be a lot better. Either that, or something closer to the Nuva symbols. I'm glad that there is something there that draws the eye, cause if it were left blank it would certainly feel empty.

Honestly, I do have to disagree in regards to the vines on the Protector of Jungle's feet. I'm glad that they are there, but the color seems really odd being mixed in with the KeetOrange and... Other translucent green of which name I am not aware of. One could argue that it's a mix of the two aforementioned colors, but it's oddly placed and could easily have been swapped out for another color. Which color, I'm not sure. At the moment I don't know which colors it came in. However, I would agree that they do look good on Lewa once he's been "powered-up" with the Protector pieces.

Gali's is also very nice though, yeah. Works well with her colors for sure, so no complaints there aside from the design.

-Eljay

Honestly, I do have to disagree in regards to the vines on the Protector of Jungle's feet. I'm glad that they are there, but the color seems really odd being mixed in with the KeetOrange and... Other translucent green of which name I am not aware of.

Ah yes, Trans Bright Green. I don't like how the Protector of Jungle is made up almost entirely of trans bright green shells- and when buy my second Lewa I am definitely slapping the Bright Green shells for the Protector. I will admit that it looks good as his blended mask and they match up super good, just not feeling it with him being trans for the majority.

Edited by TheDesuComplex

The chest prints remind me of this neat tribal cyberpunk fusion aesthetic. Like where the original BIONICLE run was pistons, gears, mechanical, visually robotic technologies, meshed especially with Polynesian islander flair, the new BIONICLE's aesthetic seems very computer, cyber, Meso-American tribal. I think the designers attempted to bring out the original style designs, with the pistons and ribbed joint parts on the new armour-add-on, but I think they also attempted, very deliberately, to evoke a slightly different "technology in a tribal setting" aesthetic, and the new chest plates go a long way towards helping that, in my opinion.