*gasp* Onua is the Overlord!

#Wahtatweest

Back on track, I believe Kopaka's shells have printing, while Onua has stickers (unfortunately).

*gasp* Onua is the Overlord!

#Wahtatweest

Back on track, I believe Kopaka's shells have printing, while Onua has stickers (unfortunately).

Yeah. It'd be preferable if the hulk chest was tampographed.

Wait, purple, gold and black in one set?

#ConstractionOverlordConfirmed

Now I want to design a constraction Overlord. Hmmmmm...

Wait, purple, gold and black in one set?

#ConstractionOverlordConfirmed

Headcanon: the new main villain uses the Mask of Creation to open a portal to Ninjago, which the Overlord sneaks through and possesses Onua. Ninjago and BIONICLE crossover confirmed!

I like printing only if it's over a piece we've never seen in that colour. Onua's black Hulk chest is something I wanted for years (literally) so I'm really happy it's a sticker.

Sooo happy to see someone else remembers it :laugh: that thing looked like it came from a nightmare or something.

I was 8 in 2001 so needless to say I fell for it, hard. It's insane that it took so many years to make a completely purple character.. and we're still missing the hands and feet.

I'm not sure how much gold it'd be likely to have. Or for that matter how much I'd WANT him to have.

On one hand, CHI Gorzan used a base color for his stickers that didn't match the chest plate, which was unusual, but it didn't look awful in my opinion. In fact, it wasn't unlike the other Chima constraction sets, who also had chest plate patterns in colors that contrasted with the chest plate itself.

On the other hand, the sticker's base color could be designed to match the color of the chest plate, like Stormer XL. That would be more consistent with the other characters like Kopaka, Pohatu, and Gali.

I don't think either situation would be awful-looking, personally. I guess we'll find out what to expect soon enough.

That's a good point. I speculated the sticker base is gold because he has to match Tahu's an Kopaka's colour organization (they made a black chest for him instead of reusing the gold one from Gorzan), but as you showed it's acutally hard to predict. And, they might go for a "shirtless" effect on him to make him look really ripped (that's not Onua's character, but ah well).

I like printing only if it's over a piece we've never seen in that colour. Onua's black Hulk chest is something I wanted for years (literally) so I'm really happy it's a sticker.I was 8 in 2001 so needless to say I fell for it, hard. It's insane that it took so many years to make a completely purple character.. and we're still missing the hands and feet.

That's a good point. I speculated the sticker base is gold because he has to match Tahu's an Kopaka's colour organization (they made a black chest for him instead of reusing the gold one from Gorzan), but as you showed it's acutally hard to predict. And, they might go for a "shirtless" effect on him to make him look really ripped (that's not Onua's character, but ah well).

I actually am glad we're getting a black recolor. I just hope he just doesn't end up being the weakest of the bunch.

I'd say Onua's chest printing/sticker should be silver (or at least mostly). It would help spread out the silver color that would otherwise only be on his shoulders.

<p>Why are people modding these sets so much? Why not just keep them as is? Might as well create a MOC.

I love to mod my sets. I like to refine the set down to something more streamlined, cohesive figure. I've been meaning to post my mods for a long time also.

While I hate stickers as I can't apply them worth anything (I feel bad for my Exia Gundam model), here they wouldn't bother me as I could just... not use them. Then again, I'm not much of a fan of specialized printing on parts that I can use to make other things with (whereas with things like models you can't, so it bothers me less from the standpoint that it might detract from something I want to rebuild out of it... as I don't really rebuild custom things out of model parts).

Either way, if Onua has trans purple I'm buying more of him.

Something interesting I noticed. As far as I can tell, none of the Masters use the upper ball joints on the torso piece. So, if you don't want the function to be active, you can take off the arms and put them on the main torso. I think.

Something interesting I noticed. As far as I can tell, none of the Masters use the upper ball joints on the torso piece. So, if you don't want the function to be active, you can take off the arms and put them on the main torso. I think.

Well, the articulation would be limited by having the shoulders so narrow, but you could fix that on many of them by swapping the 7x9 torso beam with a 9x9 torso beam. Also, it'd radically change Lewa's look since his shoulders are raised up relative to the torso beam. No simple fix for that.

I love to mod my sets. I like to refine the set down to something more streamlined, cohesive figure. I've been meaning to post my mods for a long time also.

Pretty much this, most of the time for me it's about correcting a few wrong things in the sets (that often stem from budget limitations, other times..not sure what the heck sets designers were thinking), like missing armour or asymmetrical-for-no-reason arms . Sometimes though, there are so many things I don't like (often because I feel the model doesn't represent its character well) I just have to revamp the set while doing my best to keep its key elements (colours, weapon, mask).

And speaking of purple, tfw you can use the Earth Defender mask to build the real Seventh Toa.

*dies*

I'm done. I'm so bricking done.

I can't do this anymore, wake me up 15 mins before the NYCC reveal.

*takes armor off, takes mask off, replaces it with Skull Spider*

Brick this.

*sleeps*

I have mixed feelings about modding sets. I modded some of my Breakout sets back in 2012 (mainly just improving the proportions of my Breez set and adding back armor to the $9 heroes), but never really had them on display that way, and they were in pieces before long anyway. It was more a way for me to test out how I thought the sets could be improved than anything else.

I don't see anything on these new sets that's begging to be modded right now. Which is kind of weird, because the main thing that bothered me about Breez from the Breakout series was her proportions, and the proportions for these sets are not much different (well, besides having the shoulders further back and generally having better arm length). I guess that as much as I try to be open to new ideas, some of my opinions back then were sort of knee-jerk reactions to things that conflicted with what I was used to, or with my personal preference. Shorter lower legs for Breez did make the proportions more realistic, and in all honesty the same is probably true of some of these new Toa... but the original set was hardly ruined by having legs one or two modules longer than my own personal preference.

The new Toa's proportions, to their credit, are not much different (and arguably better in many ways) than the proportions of the Toa Metru and Toa Hagah. I think they should look great together as a group. If it turns out they DON'T... well, then I guess that's when it's time to start modding. But I'm not too worried about that being the case.

I don't see anything on these new sets that's begging to be modded right now.

Really? To me, Kopaka's legs absolutely scream "END MY SUFFERING!" That's the biggest offender. Otherwise I'll be fixing the inconsistent color layering that is here and there in a few of these sets.

Edited by Sir Walter Maugham

Out of curiosity, what do you see as the line between modding an existing set, and doing a basic revamp of it?

For example, I am planning on heavily modding the armor arrangements and colors on the Toa, but I'll likely end up with a few minor revamps when I'm done, but the difference between the two will be quite subjective.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

There's something off here...

I know that the gear function was a staple of Bionicle sets for a while. But did they really think that using them with the HF building system would work well?

Am I the only one who actually loves Kopaka's legs? The reason I like them is because of the fact that it makes him look very protected. This, I think, goes with the character trait of his independence and "I work alone." attitude among the Toa, in which he needs to fend for himself, especially in the harsh snowy environment. I think I'm reading a bit too much into this, but simply, to go along with what others have said, they just look like big winter boots.

The only thing that could possibly make them better is to remove them (which as I just said, would not work for me, as I like them a lot) or do the same bulking up to only the front of the upper legs, as adding them to the back would restrict bending of the knees.

Edited by Puffle Pal26

There's something off here...

I know that the gear function was a staple of Bionicle sets for a while. But did they really think that using them with the HF building system would work well?

The backpacks on these first Toa do have potential to be awful-looking, but that doesn't mean the idea of combining gearing and CCBS is inherently flawed; CCBS joints have plenty of tension, so shoulders won't flop when moved. I've built a few custom torsos based on the 2015 Toa images, and the arms work fine when attached.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

The backpacks on these first Toa do have potential to be awful-looking, but that doesn't mean the idea of combining gearing and CCBS is inherently flawed; CCBS joints have plenty of tension.

I know... It's just odd, you know? After getting used to flick missiles and other basic functions in HF, it's strange that Lego are pushing functionality with these sets. Especially in the case of the Protectors, with the machine gun-ish stud launchers.

Am I the only one who actually loves Kopaka's legs? The reason I like them is because of the fact that it makes him look very protected. This, I think, goes with the character trait of his independence and "I work alone." attitude among the Toa, in which he needs to fend for himself, especially in the harsh snowy environment. I think I'm reading a bit too much into this, but, to go along with what others have said, it looks like big winter boots.

Meh, I always thought of Kopaka as super stealthy, so I'd prefer if he looked slender. The idea of him wearing a bulky fir coat if daft to me. (though I eagerly await the day when people photoshop him into the "winter is coming" meme). He control's ice, he doesn't need warm or bulky armour in the snow. The set is largely solid, but just not how I saw the character.

This just had to be done.

mlCAak1.jpg

I did NOT put much time into this, but once you have an idea there is no stopping.

Edited by Puffle Pal26