Sign in to follow this  
dr_spock

MOC: Wagon Tipper

Greetings.

I made a simple working wagon tipper. I tilted more on the function than form side.

Operating procedures:

After the shunter spots the wagon into correct position, engage the grab arm onto the wagon.

Very important: Uncouple and move the shunter off the tipping platform.

With the hand of god, tilt and dump the contents of the wagon.

Return wagon to upright position and release the grab arm from wagon

Move empty wagon off platform.

Failure to follow procedures can result in serious injuries or death.

15774424018_ef09e939dd_b.jpgWagon Tipper by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

Interesting use of the flex track for the ramp... have you considered making it such that the tipper pivots around the coupler such that you don't have to disconnect the locomotive/rest of the train?

Now you just need to make it fully automated :wink:

Very cool. Reminds of my youth when I spend hours browsing through 7777. Theres an unloader system in there as well. It wasn't as good as yours, and there was no bricklink back then, so it was improvising. You've nailed it.

Interesting use of the flex track for the ramp... have you considered making it such that the tipper pivots around the coupler such that you don't have to disconnect the locomotive/rest of the train?

Now you just need to make it fully automated :wink:

Nice job.

I was thinking awhile ago about different ways that more action could be put into a layout and this fits the bill.

Have you thought of making a powered version?

http://en.wikipedia....tary_car_dumper

Thanks. To make it pivot around the couplers, I would have to change the design. Currently the pivot point is out below the rails. Would you have any reference material to the real couplers that pivot around? Are they of a special design? I can probably keep it simple with a LEGO ball and socket setup.

I may consider making a working rotary dumper. It might make a fun GBC (Great Ball Contraption) module for the kids to watch at events. :classic:

Nice!!! My boy would love that as much as I would get sick of rebuilding it :laugh:

Clean and simple is always good

Thanks. It's built kid friendly. It won't fall apart unless kid takes it apart. :laugh:

In one word: fabulous!

Very cool. Reminds of my youth when I spend hours browsing through 7777. Theres an unloader system in there as well. It wasn't as good as yours, and there was no bricklink back then, so it was improvising. You've nailed it.

Great job. I like the detail of the tipper and the car. I really admire it.

Nice! That looks like the tipper at the steel mill close to where I grew up.

Nice! Functional stuff like that always looks great on a club display/layout!

Thank you, everyone. :classic:

I have created a simpler tipper wagon, using a track side mounted gear rack, the gear on the wagon picks up on this and rotates the wagon to empty the tipper wagon.

Neat idea. I've seen similar setups used for dumping railway wagon of balls in Great Ball Contraptions (GBC). Good luck.

That's an awful looking engine what is it?

That's my MOD of the 7710 train set I did back in 1983 or some time around there. I tried to make a diesel shunter. 30 years later I added some transclear windows to keep the dust out.

7710-1.1122603710.thumb2.jpg