VBBN

Battle For The Golden Mask Competition: Discussion Thread

Seems they're definitely pulling out all the stops to make Bionicle's return, memorable.

I will probably enter.

But a few questions.

1. Would multiple figures (a small army) be suitable in the same post as the created villain?

2.Can you write a story to present the moc a bit better?

3.You can enter a new villain multiple times, correct?

4.Can you edit photos, such as a main photo, with a photo editing software?

Anyway.

This will be fun.

Good luck to all others in this contest.

=]

1) I wouldn't do an army of characters as a villain, I would do one and you could say it is an army trooper if you wish. We want one villain per entry (a steed would be considered an accessory, so that's different)

2) Yes, however your story wIll not affect judgment of the creation.

3) Yes you may enter multiple entries.

4) as long as it doesn't change the look of the MOC I don't see why not. (Just remember your photos should be the best quality you can manage, don't make it hard to see what's going on)

It's up to you - there is a gold mask at stake here, so I'd submit the highest quality image of my creation as possible! :-)

You're right... and since the model in my question has loads of transparent parts (don't worry, all legit combinations!), it's time to give my rendering software something to really complain about! :grin:

At least the time it will take to render will allow me to come up with a better name for it than just "Ice Hunter" (a WIP title) :tongue:

Fairly new member... first post (yay)

Wondering if I should focus my efforts on the one entry or make a bunch, does multiple entries provide a better chance of winning?

Fairly new member... first post (yay)

Wondering if I should focus my efforts on the one entry or make a bunch, does multiple entries provide a better chance of winning?

The way I read the guidelines, each submission is judged, so it's the better the MOC that counts. If you can make multiple MOCs without affecting their quality that'd be cool, but I'd focus on making the best MOC you can.

Here's another quick question for an official willing to answer- Where do the mixel joints fall in the categories of Brick, Technic, and CCBS? They're just downsized ball joints attached to plates, and that size of joint has been used in both Technic and Bionicle for years and years. It's not a problem for me personally (not working at that scale to require that many joints) but I do think it's something that should be addressed as soon as possible.

are galidor parts allowed (yes i seriously consider using those) or dinosaur parts, considering those have a lot of studs and might fall in the system category

Edited by LegoPanda

are galidor parts allowed (yes i seriously consider using those) or dinosaur parts, considering those have a lot of studs and might fall in the system category

You're using Galidor (THAT NAME MUST NOT BE SPOKEN! :tongue: ) parts to make a villain!?

Darn. Pack it up boys, he's just beaten everyone with sheer horror :grin:

Here's another quick question for an official willing to answer- Where do the mixel joints fall in the categories of Brick, Technic, and CCBS? They're just downsized ball joints attached to plates, and that size of joint has been used in both Technic and Bionicle for years and years. It's not a problem for me personally (not working at that scale to require that many joints) but I do think it's something that should be addressed as soon as possible.

Mixel ball joints are fine.

Aight, a few questions while I have internet.

1. Is the villain intended to be (or at least being judged on) something that would work in terms of the BIONICLE aesthetic? Not that I mean in terms of canon necessarily (looking at you BBC53) but will any sort of villainous character do, or should it be something BIONICLE-esque?

1.5. When you say "not copyright infringing", does that mean creating a LEGO homage/version of something that originated in another IP isn't allowed at all (even if that IP, in turn, stole it/adapted it from some other work)?

2. Does the Technic-to-system parts ratio mean strictly in terms of part numbers, or the amount of space it takes up? (Not that I plan on cheating that with a bunch of small pins and large System pieces, but you get the idea)

2.5. As a follow-up to that, if there's some scenery/backdrop, does that count toward the ratio? In my case it's slightly more essential than just scenery, but regardless.

3. Do system bricks that have Technic inclusions, like pin holes or axle holes, count toward System? I would assume so, but juuuust checking.

Most of this hinges on the answer to 1.5, but I'd rather know now =P.

Well, here goes nothing with my entry (sorry, I only have CCBS to work with really). This is Vezalus the Gold Hunter and his loyal steed Bullion:

Vezalus the Gold Hunter and Bullion by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Vezalus is a nomadic Dark Hunter with a lust for anything gold. Even his armour is plated in gold for the most part, and named his loyal Rahi Armoured Bulldrak steed Bullion to make clear just what he loves. Vezalus has spent all his life in search of the legendary Golden Masks, to no avail. Vezalus plans to use the golden masks for his own personal gain however, and if he finds all of them, the fate of Okoto will hang in the balance... Vezalus is armed with a golden sword and possesses poisonous claws, and is a sworn enemy of both the Toa and the Brotherhood of Makuta.

More pictures can be found in my dedicated Flickr album.

Wow. :classic:

I might have a little chance because they are going to focus on the villain, not the animal (but that chance is still very small :tongue: ). But either way his ride is amazing and he himself looks villainous. This is an all around good moc.

Aight, a few questions while I have internet.

1. Is the villain intended to be (or at least being judged on) something that would work in terms of the BIONICLE aesthetic? Not that I mean in terms of canon necessarily (looking at you BBC53) but will any sort of villainous character do, or should it be something BIONICLE-esque?

1.5. When you say "not copyright infringing", does that mean creating a LEGO homage/version of something that originated in another IP isn't allowed at all (even if that IP, in turn, stole it/adapted it from some other work)?

2. Does the Technic-to-system parts ratio mean strictly in terms of part numbers, or the amount of space it takes up? (Not that I plan on cheating that with a bunch of small pins and large System pieces, but you get the idea)

2.5. As a follow-up to that, if there's some scenery/backdrop, does that count toward the ratio? In my case it's slightly more essential than just scenery, but regardless.

3. Do system bricks that have Technic inclusions, like pin holes or axle holes, count toward System? I would assume so, but juuuust checking.

Most of this hinges on the answer to 1.5, but I'd rather know now =P.

1. If you refer to the rules, you can see that the entries will be judged on:

• Overall coolness and creativity

• Inspired originality

• Uniqueness

• Creative use of parts

Bionicle-ness isn't mentioned, however, when the Lead Designer, the Marketing Manager and one of the most awesome Bionicle builders alive are the judges, I'd say you should build accordingly.

1.5. Again, referring to the rules: " Copies of/or in other ways infringements relating to any existing third party property or any other intellectual property right will not be eligible for the competition" It's quite clear. No 3rd party IPs.

2. The 75/25 ratio is a rule of thumb, designed to have entries be more or less equal, giving the judges the ability to compare the entries in a fair manner. We will not be counting pieces per se, but again, use your good judgement.

2.5 You can create a background, and it will not count in the 75/25 ratio. But remember that it's your MOC that is being judged.

3. Technic is Technic and System is System.

Edited by julochka

Wow. :classic:

I might have a little chance because they are going to focus on the villain, not the animal (but that chance is still very small :tongue: ). But either way his ride is amazing and he himself looks villainous. This is an all around good moc.

I moved your post out of the entry thread. Please only post entries in the entry thread, any feedback should be posted in this thread or in the MOCs individual thread (if the creator made one)

Fantastic contest, guys. And I'll be back from vacation with time enough to access my real parts, too =P.

(also please tell me Deevs isn't in the contest because I think everybody wants a fighting chance :U)

I started building yesterday. ;)

Man, I should start building. I've been doodling ideas all day in school. Time to put them into practice.

Yep. Golden Mask is more important than schoolwork.

Would these be considered system or constraction?

They could really go either way, however given the amount of viking horns, spikes, etc that have been released in constraction themes, they would be acceptable as constraction.

Sorry for asking this again, but I didn't really get the straight answer I was looking for.

Do we count mixels joints as System, Technic, or Bionicle? I know it doesn't matter for most people's MOCs (that are probably Toa size or bigger), but if someone were to make something small a la 2001 Matoran Makuta, it might make the difference between being a majorly Bionicle character and a half System/half Bionicle character.

Also, what is the stance on 'illegal' connections and such? For example, if I wanted to use some Technic tread pieces as a belt, and they were the kind that don't have holes on them to connect to pins, would that be fine?

BTW, guys. I've seen your contest entries. Can't you do a little more effort ? You're going against MOC'ers from all over the world. In the Asian countries, they don't care about amounts. In Russia, they are willing to do anything to win. In France,...Well, I don't know. Give them your best. Do it.

In France,...Well, I don't know.

Don't worry, we'll do our best. ;) And some of us are also willing to do anything to win.

Sorry for asking this again, but I didn't really get the straight answer I was looking for.

Do we count mixels joints as System, Technic, or Bionicle? I know it doesn't matter for most people's MOCs (that are probably Toa size or bigger), but if someone were to make something small a la 2001 Matoran Makuta, it might make the difference between being a majorly Bionicle character and a half System/half Bionicle character.

Also, what is the stance on 'illegal' connections and such? For example, if I wanted to use some Technic tread pieces as a belt, and they were the kind that don't have holes on them to connect to pins, would that be fine?

Mixel balljoints are considered constraction. Most other components in mixel sets are system however.

"Illegal" connections are fine as long as they do not require modifications of parts.