New instructions available here. 

This tank is one of the first mass-produced armored fighting vehicles of WWI, it's one of the first vehicles to have a conventional layout ( driver in front, turret in center, and engine in rear.)

This model will feature

a interior, working engine, suspension, opening hatches, and other details of the vehicle.

here are the blueprints that have been scaled

15100270065_80d56923c4_b.jpgLego Renault FT-17 by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

15100270395_985770d7ac_b.jpgLego Renault FT-17 by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Nice to see my scaler being helpful. Reminds me to improve it a bit :)

What are you planning to use for 2.4 wide tracks and for that big front sprocket?

Edited by Sariel

WOW! That's some project. I too will be following progress with great interest.

Edited by grum64

What are you planning to use for 2.4 wide tracks and for that big front sprocket?

Is the scaler a digital tool? Or a method of working out scales?

here are the blueprints that have been scaled

While I was searching for blueprints for my model team Renault 17 I was indeed finding many blueprints for the Renault FT-17 :grin:

No, I will be using 3 wide tracks. They are a little too short length wise but I don't have enough parts to build custom tracks.

Also could I suggest for the model scaler, maybe have it round to the nearest plate thickness instead of tenths .

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I have began work on the suspension bogies and i think i have a accurate design similar to the real FT-17 (minus the leaf springs)

here's how it operates, it has a standard bogie system that's paired with another bogie and it can move on a secondary fulcrum attached to a leaf spring.

RenaultFT17_02.jpg

15084124336_779225e424_b.jpgLego Renault FT-17 suspension bogies by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

14920451119_3c5833eb1e_b.jpgLego Renault FT-17 suspension bogies by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

15106767392_591aa940fc_b.jpgLego Renault FT-17 suspension bogies by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

this suspension isn't complete, its missing the upper return rollers, these will have the spring at the front and help act as a track tensioner.

Very good idea for the bogies! Which part of it will be attached to the chassis, upper beam or the lower bogie part?

the upper beam, it's pivot point is the grey 4L axle with stop

Hmmm, you might have some problems with the tracks falling of the front wheel when turning...is there no way to add another dish on the inner side of the track? Will you brace that 2x1 brick with two holes in any way?... seems it won't hold the presure while driving...

Hmmm, you might have some problems with the tracks falling of the front wheel when turning...is there no way to add another dish on the inner side of the track? Will you brace that 2x1 brick with two holes in any way?... seems it won't hold the presure while driving...

it will be reinforced, it seems to operate fine without any errors. Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

In this moc, it is not very important that tracks work perfect. Since this moc will not be motorized, and pushing the vehicle wont easily turn the tracks...

In this moc, it is not very important that tracks work perfect. Since this moc will not be motorized, and pushing the vehicle wont easily turn the tracks...

true, Model team builds are usually designed for static models that would be displayed on a shelf.

Oh I see, I thought it will be motorised... I didn't go through the MT contest rules, so my bad... I agree, if it is a stationery model all my arguments are out of place. Keep up the good work, I wish I had so much time to build ;-)

Some more progress was done on the interior, I have a rough idea for making a turret ring that will allow it to be open like in the real model but as with lego it's difficult to make circles that are hollow and 8 studs in diameter.

If the custom ring doesn't work a regular 7 wide turntable could be used and made removable for viewing the interior.

I increased some of the dimensions of the model because of the tracks being 3 studs wide instead of 2.4

15133172352_6833048bae_b.jpgLego Renault FT-17 by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

15130575601_62ebe3a469_b.jpgLego Renault FT-17 by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky